PDA

View Full Version : Live Account Hacked

Kornman00
January 15th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Some jackass got into my account and spent ~900MSPs on my XBL account (yes, I know, this should be under Tech Talk, but no one gives a shit about this site anymore so why try). I just got access to my account back a few minutes ago (can't do much now since they put a hold on it while they do an investigation).

Fucking not how I wanted wake up today :|. Security text alerts are helpful, but that's it. The emails saying 'oh, your account name has been changed to X email, is this correct?' isn't helpful because the link that says to 'cancel' the action either times out (I didn't get to it until 10hrs later) or just doesn't work.

The most surprising thing about this whole mess is that Xbox customer support...was pretty good. The chap knew what he was doing. And didn't have an accent.

=sw=warlord
January 15th, 2012, 01:01 PM
You just have a way of making friends with people don't you Korn.
:ohdear:

Kornman00
January 15th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Google "xbox live hacked" and click the "# related articles" under the first result. Look at how many news articles were posted on the 13th

Friday, The 13th :|

Arteen
January 15th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Mine got hacked in December. They bought fucking Fight Night Champion. If you're going to hijack my account for a bit, at least buy something good.

DEElekgolo
January 15th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I never have a payment method tied to my account and I only buy ms points when I need them.
:>

Even if someone was to hijack my account they wouldn't be able to do much but spam my friends(even though I spam them anyways).

Kornman00
January 15th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I had ~900MSP already on my account. They spent all but 30.

=sw=warlord
January 15th, 2012, 01:24 PM
You fell for those stupid free microsoft points scam didn't you?

ejburke
January 15th, 2012, 01:31 PM
So that wasn't you spamming, "I <3 343i!"?

=sw=warlord
January 15th, 2012, 01:38 PM
it's a conspiracy

Amit
January 15th, 2012, 01:52 PM
You fell for those stupid free microsoft points scam didn't you?

Actually, no. I read an article on Battlefieldo yesterday that said XBOX's account management system was hacked yesterday. I swiftly changed my password, but I forgot to post about it here :fail:

I could have warned you, but I didn't...

=sw=warlord
January 15th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Actually, no. I read an article on Battlefieldo yesterday that said XBOX's account management system was hacked yesterday. I swiftly changed my password, but I forgot to post about it here :fail:

I could have warned you, but I didn't...
Microsoft has said their systems haven't been hacked.
The way people are going about details now is phishing for details over Facebook.

dark navi
January 15th, 2012, 02:46 PM
The way people are going about details now is phishing for details over Facebook.

I swear it wasn't me Kmoo. :iamafag:

Kornman00
January 15th, 2012, 02:52 PM
They don't even have to phish. They can just brute force (http://www.1up.com/news/xbox-com-security-loophope-hacks) your account.

Amit
January 15th, 2012, 03:01 PM

You think Korn is stupid enough to fall for that?

InnerGoat
January 15th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Oh no E3pO strikes again :ohdear:

=sw=warlord
January 15th, 2012, 03:16 PM
You think Korn is stupid enough to fall for that?
Reality is stranger than fiction.

Kornman00
January 15th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I only use facebook for what it was intended for...rating the faces of women staying connected with people.

Spartan094
January 15th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I only use facebook for what it was intended for...rating the faces of women staying connected with my hoes people

Oh thats nice bruh, I think you ment this.

Oh no E3pO strikes again :ohdear:

bewareee

Kornman00
January 15th, 2012, 04:36 PM
http://www.modacity.net/forums/images/customavatars/avatar2716_84.gif.avi (http://www.modacity.net/forums/member.php?2716-Spartan094) (http://www.modacity.net/forums/member.php?2716-Spartan094)

NullZero
January 15th, 2012, 07:14 PM
My account got hacked two or three christmas' ago. They spent money on the card and whatnot. I phoned up MS, they locked the account and refunded money, then on christmas day, they gave me 6500 MS points (iirc) and one month free live. Not too bad.
Still want my old account back though :S

Another little story, this time with Steam: I have two accounts - one proper, and one secondary account that had no games on it. The secondary account got hacked (lol). They bought MW2 with their own money on the account. After a few support tickets, I got the Steam account back, and thus a free copy of MW2. Lulz.

king_nothing_
January 15th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Another little story, this time with Steam: I have two accounts - one proper, and one secondary account that had no games on it. The secondary account got hacked (lol). They bought MW2 with their own money on the account. After a few support tickets, I got the Steam account back, and thus a free copy of MW2. Lulz.
LOL. Can I get hacked like that, please? I want free hacker gifts too.

Kornman00
January 16th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Here's a list of the games they fucking blew my ~900MSP on:

Anger Management 4 Indie Game 1/15/2012 Add to Queue
Anger Management 2 Indie Game 1/15/2012 Add to Queue
CastleMiner Z Indie Game 1/15/2012 Add to Queue
Firing Range Indie Game 1/15/2012 Add to Queue
Wabbits! Jumping For Fun Indie Game 1/15/2012 Add to Queue
Avatar Connection Indie Game 1/15/2012 Add to Queue
4P Ping-Pong Indie Game 1/15/2012 Add to Queue
Hypnotizing Indie Game 1/15/2012 Add to Queue
Super Tank Run Indie Game 1/15/2012 Add to Queue
The Most Addicting Sheep Game Indie Game

Amit
January 16th, 2012, 10:44 AM

http://kornnersoftware.com/images/boner.png

Shitty games.

=sw=warlord
January 16th, 2012, 11:34 AM
they seem to know you pretty well Korn.
They've added two games called anger management lol.

Kornman00
January 16th, 2012, 12:55 PM
http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/1957/ffffuuuu.png

Ryx
January 16th, 2012, 01:20 PM

dafuq

Limited
January 16th, 2012, 05:12 PM
That sucks man, does that mean they also got your hotmail email account? (If you signed up via that)

On my xbox I have a passcode set - yes its useless if they use xbox.com however least those bastards wont be able to use the account on their xbox.

I also use a separate bank account that only has a small amount of dosh in it at any one time (~$100), so if I get ripped off when I use an online purchasing system I won't lose a ton of money.

Kornman00
January 16th, 2012, 06:08 PM
I would never use hotmail willingly, so no, not hotmail access :p

I use a passcode...on my dev account...lot of good that does me in this case :saddowns:. Even with access to xbox.com, none of that content will download to the Xbox I don't believe...I wonder if you need to enter the passcode before you d/l your profile to a new Xbox too?

Glad I don't use cloud sharing for my game saves. They could have zapped them probably.

dark navi
January 16th, 2012, 06:13 PM
I would never use hotmail willingly, so no, not hotmail access :p

I use a passcode...on my dev account...lot of good that does me in this case :saddowns:. Even with access to xbox.com, none of that content will download to the Xbox I don't believe...I wonder if you need to enter the passcode before you d/l your profile to a new Xbox too?

Glad I don't use cloud sharing for my game saves. They could have zapped them probably.

Thank god they didn't transfer all of the license to their Xbox, eh?

Kornman00
January 16th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I did a content transfer last year, don't think the cooldown period has even finished yet.

Sanctus
January 17th, 2012, 09:10 AM
I have a saved payment method, but its just a prepaid so it never has money on it until I'm about to buy

STLRamsFan
January 17th, 2012, 10:06 AM
That sucks, glad I cancelled my account months ago (they tried to charge me for another year but my bank blocked them :)). Had a similar incident where my iTunes account got hacked and someone spend $20 on frecking Beattle music I believe, good music but not something I wanted. Ended taking off my credit, resetting the password and everything. People I swear...

Kornman00
January 17th, 2012, 11:49 AM
If you try to cancel your subscription on their billing website, it links to a page that doesn't exist anymore on Xbox.com

So I just changed my CC info to wrong values :). Have fun trying to renew that shit MS!

STLRamsFan
January 17th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Had to call them to cancel, since it wouldn't let me on the site. The dude told me the account had actually renewed but once I told him my bank blocked it he canceled it. :)

Amit
January 18th, 2012, 06:41 PM
If you try to cancel your subscription on their billing website, it links to a page that doesn't exist anymore on Xbox.com

So I just changed my CC info to wrong values :). Have fun trying to renew that shit MS!

I cancelled my account in September last year. The guy was chill and it took like less than 5 minutes to get through the whole thing. I dunno, I guess Canadians don't fuss other Canadians like Americans fuss other Americans.

Kornman00
January 18th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I got 1000msp and 1mo of XBL today. I actually came out of this with more shit than I had before, heh. Still not renewing for the foreseeable future.

Amit
January 18th, 2012, 08:45 PM
lol

STLRamsFan
January 19th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Just found this, pretty useful if you wanna cancel:

"As it turns out, Illinois (http://www.businessinsider.com/2008/7/final-fantasy-online-s-arcane-cancellation-policy-baffles-lawmakers-leads-to-new-law) passed a law that requires internet gaming service providers to have an online method to cancel the service. So here are the steps to turn off auto renewal for Xbox live:

Go to the account page (https://live.xbox.com/en-US/account?xr=shellnav)
Go to Billing Account Information and change the address to somewhere in Illinois
Back on the account page, go to Manage Payment Options
Edit the credit card's billing info to be somewhere in Chicago
Back on the account page, click Upgrade/Manage Account
Under your avatar where it says Automatic Renewal: On, the On should be a link, click it.
You are going to have to click next quite a few times but eventually it will give you the option to turn auto renewal off.
Profit
It takes a few minutes, but is far less painful than calling support and having them potentially cancel your account instead of turning off auto renewal."

Kornman00
January 21st, 2012, 05:48 PM
On top of the 1000MSP I got for free, I can still access those shitty indie games. Too bad they didn't spend my old MSP on shit that was worth it...

Also, it turns out they did do a license transfer (if I had waited an additional month before doing mine last year, the cooldown period would have still be active). I have to wait until May to re-transfer.

Timo
January 21st, 2012, 06:12 PM

http://www.modacity.net/forums/images/customavatars/avatar18_46.gif
.........................The Most Addicting Sheep Game

Jelly
January 21st, 2012, 06:21 PM
poo is a really funny word and i'm delighted every time someone says it in real life

dark navi
January 21st, 2012, 06:42 PM
On top of the 1000MSP I got for free, I can still access those shitty indie games. Too bad they didn't spend my old MSP on shit that was worth it...

Also, it turns out they did do a license transfer (if I had waited an additional month before doing mine last year, the cooldown period would have still be active). I have to wait until May to re-transfer.

What the fuck? They give you free MSPs but they wont reset your content license? That's fuq'd.

Kornman00
January 21st, 2012, 06:42 PM
heh, Timo

MS asked me to take a survey based on my issue shit. In the 'say :words: here about how we can better ourselves', I wrote the following:

I'm not sure if this survey is linked to the original support case, but my case was about an unauthorized Live account access and name change. This occurred on Jan 14th, the day after major news reporting on possible loopholes in xbox.com's login process.

I may have got 1000MSP to cover the MSP spent by the assumed hacker, and a free month of XBL, but on that same day this person did a License Transfer on my content, so I now have to wait until May before I can transfer the licenses back to *my* xbox. Undoing unauthorized license transfers should be part of this account security resolving process. If not, I at least hope you guys are able to nuke the licenses on the hacker's xbox if they ever try to get online with that specific console again.

The pretty awesome service I received from my support rep during this issue can't make up for the hoops which had to be jumped later and the fact that there are more users encountering issues of unauthorized account access. Which is why I'm reconsidering my XBL subscription and my recommendations of the service to friends.

=sw=warlord
January 23rd, 2012, 09:09 AM
You may want to try the online chat service they have on their website.
I've just had a pretty good advisor a few minutes ago.

David D: Hello, thank you for contacting Xbox Customer Support. My name is David D. Please give me a moment to review your question.
me: Alright
David D: Sorry to hear that you are having an issue with this.
David D: I will have a look at your account now.
me: ok thanks
David D: No problem
David D: On your account, , there is an outstanding balance of 39.99 which is for a gold 12 month renewal fee.
me: as I mentioned the renewal was due for 2nd of december but the month before i changed the renewal so it would revert to silver
me: and i've noticed a few times it has somehow been changed back to renew
David D: , I can completely understand your frustration.
David D: As a good will gesture, I will remove the outstanding balance and change your account back to silver.
me: alright thanks
David D: No problem, I will do that for you now!
me: alright, thanks for the help

Their online chat support seems alot better than their telephone ones.
Maybe ask the reps if they're capable of resetting the content transfer limit.

Cortexian
January 23rd, 2012, 01:58 PM
I sometimes wonder if the actions that online reps are allowed to take have some kind of interface with big red buttons that say all the cool things, for example; "LIFETIME ACCESS TO LIVE GOLD". Then under that is says "NEVER PUSH THIS BUTTON".

Because it seems like every once in a blue-moon (more often lately) people get chat reps who aren't completely fucking retarded and seem human. They take pity on you and do cool things. There must be some reps out there who push those big red buttons every now and then.

If you get my meaning.

This comment spurred by some recent interactions of mine with my ISP, the guy I was talking to was actually really competent and it seemed like he was able to actually read the sheer amount of statistics presented to him about my internet useage/tv channels/phone line and manipulate them however he wanted, regardless of what the "plan" said I could have.

/random rant.