PDA

View Full Version : Canada's Mini-SOPA

Amit
January 28th, 2012, 05:45 PM
HEY GUYS, check this out: http://www.ccer.ca/canadian-copyright-reform/canadian-copyright-reform-back-with-vengeance/

(http://www.ccer.ca/canadian-copyright-reform/canadian-copyright-reform-back-with-vengeance/)
On September 29th, 2011 the recently re-elected Conservative Government reintroduced the Copyright Modernization Act, Bill C-11 (previously Bill C-32). Given that the Conservatives now hold the majority of seats in the House, the quick and easy passage of this ‘Made In America’ legislation is no more a matter of ‘will it pass’ but a matter of ‘just how quickly will it pass.’

Although Bill C-11 appears to be more flexible than the previous attempts at copyright reform, this bill is flawed to its core by the inclusion of strict, anti-circumvention provisions. Understandably, Canadians are concerned at how easily their rights are trumped by the overriding protection for digital locks included in this legislation and it is to this effect that the CCER has updated its online letter writing tool. It is essential that Canadians speak out about their concerns with Bill C-11 while it is still open to amendments.

http://www.ccer.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/compare.jpg

Nero
January 28th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I doubt the internet will go up in arms for this... :(

Amit
January 28th, 2012, 06:26 PM
You're right. We need Freelancer to talk some sense into him or something.

Warsaw
January 28th, 2012, 06:33 PM
You guys have guns. When all else fails, REVOLT! Kekekeke.

No, seriously though, this is shit. Governments are starting to wake up to the potential of the free internet, and they will use any justification they can to start limiting it or placing it on overwatch. Sure, businesses have a right to be concerned about piracy, but you know what? There are better ways to minimize the impact of the issue than legal reform. Try adapting your business model, for a change. Costs a lot up front, but think of the pay-offs when you become so covenient for everybody that your products and services are ubiquitous in the market place!

This isn't capitalism failing, this is failing to use capitalism.

Nero
January 28th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Haha, didn't Freelancer support conservatives?

Cortexian
January 28th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Of course, and I still do. They're the lesser of other evils.

I'm surprised that a few of you still haven't figured out that all these Internet bills are being pressed onto the government by the corporations that want less piracy. As with most 1st world democracies, it's not the government that controls anything, it's the corporations.

Internet laws are entirely irrelevant in Canada, the RCMP (who handle all cyber-crime here) have an official "Do Not Prosecute" order for individuals. They don't have the funding or man-power to go after individuals, and so they don't bother. The government can change whatever they want in the legislation, nothing will change in actuality.

Warsaw
January 28th, 2012, 06:51 PM
The problem isn't them prosecuting over piracy and related. The problem is them now having a back door to do worse things.

Nero
January 28th, 2012, 06:59 PM
NDP was the lesser Evil. Harper and the conservatives have only made life worse for Canadians. An example; the people in Ontario have it much worse. Look out our tax laws that were introduced under the conservatives. Or how the conservatives sold Hydro, to make more money, in exchange causing people to suffer with higher rates, because the government doesn't own it anymore.

Ontario voted conservatives back into power here because of how many corporations love them.

Also, it doesn't matter if nothing happens. The fact that the government has such laws and no one does anything about it, is the scary part. Whats next? IP ban if you get caught downloading by provider? It's just a matter of time, if laws like these get passed.

Cortexian
January 28th, 2012, 07:04 PM
NDP was the lesser Evil. Harper and the conservatives have only made life worse for Canadians. I specifically speak for the Ontario people here.

Ontario voted conservatives back into power here because of how many corporations love them.

Also, it doesn't matter if nothing happens. The fact that the government has such laws and no one does anything about it, is the scary part. Whats next? IP ban if you get caught downloading by provider? It's just a matter of time, if laws like these get passed.
That may be true for you, but out here in the West (especially Alberta), it's all CONSERVATIVE, CONSERVATIVE, CONSERVATIVE!

NDP is dead now that its leader is dead.

Liberals are fuck-faces who would rather focus on taking guns away from people than anything else.

So yeah. Vote green party 2012!

Warsaw
January 28th, 2012, 07:07 PM
How about vote no party? Everyone should conspire to write in the same guy, whether he wants office or not.

=sw=warlord
January 28th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Vote Vermin Supreme!

Cortexian
January 28th, 2012, 07:19 PM
That's actually a good idea. I think I'll do it.

TVTyrant
January 29th, 2012, 04:15 AM
You guys should just elect the Queen.

You know.

Because your part of the commonwealth and thus aren't a real country. /sarcasm

Amit
January 29th, 2012, 05:04 AM
I'm surprised that a few of you still haven't figured out that all these Internet bills are being pressed onto the government by the corporations that want less piracy. As with most 1st world democracies, it's not the government that controls anything, it's the corporations.

And who is in the government and the CRTC? Former big telecom and corporation executives. Our government is enabling the corporations to influence parliament.

=sw=warlord
January 29th, 2012, 06:08 AM
thus aren't a real country. /sarcasm
Neither is the USA.
United States of America.
/not sarcasm

Warsaw
January 29th, 2012, 10:04 AM
If this were pre-Civil War you'd be right, Warlord.

TVTyrant
January 29th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Neither is the USA.
United States of America.
/not sarcasm
U jelly? Yeah, u jelly.

rossmum
January 29th, 2012, 03:42 PM
That may be true for you, but out here in the West (especially Alberta), it's all CONSERVATIVE, CONSERVATIVE, CONSERVATIVE!

NDP is dead now that its leader is dead.

Liberals are fuck-faces who would rather focus on taking guns away from people than anything else.

So yeah. Vote green party 2012!
NDP is still very much alive, Chair is not in fact dead but his PC broke and so we must fight Internet Tank Battles without our illustrious leader for a while! (heh)

On a serious note though, and for the benefit of everyone here who isn't Canadian, Alberta is pretty much Canada's Texas. We're still a hell of a lot more liberal than any given US state, but compared to the rest of Canada, not so much. But we have oil and we have guns so who fuckin cares WOOHOO *gets in pickup truck, drives away*

Cortexian
January 29th, 2012, 11:04 PM
And who is in the government and the CRTC? Former big telecom and corporation executives. Our government is enabling the corporations to influence parliament.
Isn't that what I said basically?

Nero
January 29th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Yea, pretty much rossmum. I forgot to mention, freelancer, another reason I hate the conservatives is the tax increase they added recently. We have to pay 13 percent tax on EVERYTHING. What is it for you, like 5 percent GST? I can see why you don't really see it the same way some of us do.

P.S. We may have oil, but it doesn't matter. When I moved from BC back in like 2005, gas prices were 60 something cents. Now its 1.30 on a very good day.
I believe it was just in the news that Canada plans to make deals with China to export oil. Funny, we have so much oil, yet we over price our citizens (Not to mention keep increasing the prices) and claim its because of the market. Bullshit, it was first the wars, then the market, and when that boils down it will just stay, because everyone got used to it.

Warsaw
January 29th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Gas prices rise more because of speculation rather than because of supply and demand.

Also, your gas prices are $1.30? Holy fuck I'm moving there, I have to pay $3.50, and we're also sitting on some not-insignificant oil reserves.

Nero
January 29th, 2012, 11:50 PM
canadians pay in litres, you guys pay in gallons. :p

Donut
January 30th, 2012, 12:00 AM
i remember reading something about like... 25% of the cost per gallon of gas being a "speculation tax", purely to have enough money to deal with future gas prices here in the USA. im sure it wasnt exactly 25%, but i heard "about a dollar" when the prices were at 4 bucks a gallon.

i also heard something about pumps under-measuring the flow of gas when you only depress the handle half way, thus giving you more gas than the meter says you got. i dont know how much stock i put in that though...

Warsaw
January 30th, 2012, 12:07 AM
canadians pay in litres, you guys pay in gallons. :p

Hooo boy, never mind then. $5/gallon a happy wallet does not make.

Nero
January 30th, 2012, 12:40 AM
tell me about it!

also to all canadians!!!:
we now have a 25 gig download limit per month. this is worse then sopa! And its already passed! Nomatter your provider or plan you have!

Warsaw
January 30th, 2012, 12:48 AM
On a wired connection, that's criminal.

rossmum
January 30th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Yea, pretty much rossmum. I forgot to mention, freelancer, another reason I hate the conservatives is the tax increase they added recently. We have to pay 13 percent tax on EVERYTHING. What is it for you, like 5 percent GST? I can see why you don't really see it the same way some of us do.

P.S. We may have oil, but it doesn't matter. When I moved from BC back in like 2005, gas prices were 60 something cents. Now its 1.30 on a very good day.
I believe it was just in the news that Canada plans to make deals with China to export oil. Funny, we have so much oil, yet we over price our citizens (Not to mention keep increasing the prices) and claim its because of the market. Bullshit, it was first the wars, then the market, and when that boils down it will just stay, because everyone got used to it.
Holy fuck. It's been above $1.00/l here since 2003 (Iraq lol) and $1.50+ for at least a year. It's pushing $1.60 now.

When I moved to Australia in 1997, unleaded was seventy fucking cents a litre in the heart of Sydney.

e/
tell me about it!

we now have a 25 gig download limit per month. this is worse then sopa! And its already passed! Nomatter your provider or plan you have!
Wait, are you for real? That is literally worse than the shittiest of Australian plans (which, need I remind anybody, are in turn literally worse than third-world internet).

How the fuck did they slip that one through?

Nero
January 30th, 2012, 01:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6peRQV5hFEQ

Nero
January 30th, 2012, 01:10 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/01/31/technology-internet-usage-based-billing.html

Amit
January 30th, 2012, 02:17 AM

Nero, where have you been for the past 10 months? UBB was shot down and there's no ridiculous 25GB cap. I'm still running on 95GB with Rogers. Not to mention, the HST was introduced by the provincial government which is run by the Liberal Part of Canada. The HST is bullshit. I hate the conservatives very much, but you can't blame them for something they didn't do.

Nero
January 30th, 2012, 08:14 AM
oh seriously? People on facebook were spreading the article. heh. now that i look at the article date.... never post 2 in the morning. durr

Cortexian
January 31st, 2012, 02:22 AM
What is this HST thing? All we have is the 5% GST here and I don't get around enough to remember what all the other taxes are in gayer other provinces.

I totally agree that Alberta is like Canada's version of Texas. I'm all for that, more guns for everyone!!

Also pretty funny and relevant; I have a friend one Facebook who posted about this including a petition for everyone to sign. I told her about the RCMP cyber-crime devision having the "do not prosecute" order due to lack of funding and personal. She responded by saying (she deleted the entire post and re-made a fresh one now, so I'm going by memory): "what stops the government from creating a whole new group just to deal with online piracy then, huh?"

I figured it would be pretty obvious that it would cost even more to setup a whole new organization to deal with individual piracy acts as outlined by this new bill. I told her this and in a typical female fashion she got all mad because she hadn't thought her response through. I don't think we're going to be "friends" for at LEAST a year this time... Ugh, women.

She actually tried arguing that they MIGHT just give more funding to the RCMP then. So I told her that the RCMP would then devote the majority of that to, you know, important things like the tactical teams and other stuff that actually keeps people ALIVE and SAFE.

So mad.

In relation to that 25GB bandwidth limit, that whole dealio lasted like 30 Internet seconds before it exploded into a ball of rage-drama. My ISP recieved so many complaints that they have temporarily removed ALL bandwidth caps from every plan unofficially. Officially they still list the caps but nothing happens when you go over the cap.

Amit
January 31st, 2012, 12:44 PM
Also pretty funny and relevant; I have a friend one Facebook who posted about this including a petition for everyone to sign. I told her about the RCMP cyber-crime devision having the "do not prosecute" order due to lack of funding and personal. She responded by saying (she deleted the entire post and re-made a fresh one now, so I'm going by memory): "what stops the government from creating a whole new group just to deal with online piracy then, huh?"

I figured it would be pretty obvious that it would cost even more to setup a whole new organization to deal with individual piracy acts as outlined by this new bill. I told her this and in a typical female fashion she got all mad because she hadn't thought her response through. I don't think we're going to be "friends" for at LEAST a year this time... Ugh, women.

She actually tried arguing that they MIGHT just give more funding to the RCMP then. So I told her that the RCMP would then devote the majority of that to, you know, important things like the tactical teams and other stuff that actually keeps people ALIVE and SAFE.

So mad.

Heh, I don't like to generalize women, but from my experiences with them, it is generally true. Yeah, the RCMP aren't idiots. If the government gives them money (the government isn't full of idiots either so they won't) they aren't gonna blow it on fighting cyber crime.

Nero
January 31st, 2012, 12:57 PM
Hmm, I still pay for going over the limit. I think its like 25 bucks? ( I may be wrong, it might be more).

My limit is like 150 gigs, and I download about 500 gigs a month.

Also freelancer: HST in Ontario is basically: You pay 13% tax on EVERYTHING and anything.

Amit
January 31st, 2012, 01:12 PM
The overage fee depends on your ISP and what tier of service you have from them.Typically, the higher your service tier, the lower the $/GB cost is. Mine is $1.50/GB overage up to a maximum of $50 I believe. The max we've been charged (we go over by almost 80GB every month) appears to be $60 (equivalent to 40GB).

Phopojijo
January 31st, 2012, 01:27 PM
tell me about it!

we now have a 25 gig download limit per month. this is worse then sopa! And its already passed! Nomatter your provider or plan you have!Go to a reseller like Teksavvy, Acanac, or Primus. They're CRTC-mandated to have unlimited plans. They also will have access all the same speeds as their Bell equivalents very shortly -- many with unlimited plans at those higher speeds.

And come (March I believe) there will be no more throttling or Deep Packet Inspection from Bell to any customer of Bell or their resellers (like Teksavvy/Primus/Acanac) -- at all.

I'm here to help : )

=sw=warlord
January 31st, 2012, 03:11 PM
@Freelancer, you've got to remember, these legislations don't just effect us, they're designed to effect our descendants, while it may be true they won't blow money on cyber crime now there's no telling for what thing's will be like in 30 years time.

TVTyrant
January 31st, 2012, 03:21 PM
@Freelancer, you've got to remember, these legislations don't just effect us, they're designed to effect our descendants, while it may be true they won't blow money on cyber crime now there's no telling for what thing's will be like in 30 years time.
Hopefully the collapse of civilization will have happened and I'm holed up in Eastern Alaska catching salmon with my hands and hunting caribou.

On a more serious note, IDU how an agency that has no money to enforce the law will get usurped by a new, well funded agency. Wouldn't it be better for the government of Canada to just fund the first group? Damn women and their lack of understanding the interblag.

Also this is a surreal thing going on in Canada. Aren't you guys supposed to be progressive or something?

Nero
January 31st, 2012, 03:22 PM
Go to a reseller like Teksavvy, Acanac, or Primus. They're CRTC-mandated to have unlimited plans. They also will have access all the same speeds as their Bell equivalents very shortly -- many with unlimited plans at those higher speeds.

And come (March I believe) there will be no more throttling or Deep Packet Inspection from Bell to any customer of Bell or their resellers (like Teksavvy/Primus/Acanac) -- at all.

I'm here to help : )

I can't stand Bell... I use Rogers. =o

Amit
February 1st, 2012, 04:39 PM
Also this is a surreal thing going on in Canada. Aren't you guys supposed to be progressive or something?

Ah, haha, ahahahaha! Oh man, you're good. Just too good.

Phopojijo
February 2nd, 2012, 04:42 PM
I can't stand Bell... I use Rogers. =o
:suicide:

Amit
February 2nd, 2012, 07:21 PM
I use Rogers and I can't stand any of them. Switching to TekSavvy.

Phopojijo
February 5th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I use Rogers and I can't stand any of them. Switching to TekSavvy.
:v: