PDA

View Full Version : Dang, another website shutdown massacre....

STLRamsFan
February 2nd, 2012, 09:15 PM
Wow this is nuts, then again I saw this coming. :-3

http://venturebeat.com/2012/02/02/sports-streaming-domain-seizure/

neuro
February 3rd, 2012, 01:51 AM
don't give a rat's ass about sports, but this shit is getting out of hand.

MXC
February 3rd, 2012, 08:10 AM
In December, television affiliate NBC and the NFL announced that the big game would stream for free online for the first time — meaning illegal sports streaming sites could hypothetically steal traffic away from NBC.

This is stupid.

Limited
February 3rd, 2012, 11:10 AM
Its also stupid considering the NBC live streaming is going to offer multiple camera angles, instant stats, rewind live (I think).

These so-called 'live streams' of the other sites, will simply be the TV coverage, boring huh.

Also GO PATRIOTS!

Warsaw
February 3rd, 2012, 05:56 PM
NO.

They are from Taxachussetts.

Actually, I don't particularly like the homes of either Superbowl team. Go Pittsburgh.

Also, this is stupid. TV content providers unwilling to adapt to the times. Fail hards.

STLRamsFan
February 3rd, 2012, 09:41 PM
I can understand pay-per-view sporting events, I get the reasoning of taking those streams down. Although taking down streams to FREE games is a bit dumb in my opinion. Although not like I'm gonna be streaming the Super Bowl... I'll take a nice big HD TV over a laptop screen anyday. :P

jcap
February 4th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Shutting down sites for streaming public broadcasts is bullshit. Fucking hell, they should be EMBRACING it since the advertisers are paying to be seen!!!

The vast majority of the sites shut down sold counterfeit goods, however. I'm not going to shed a tear for them.

STLRamsFan
February 4th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Oh the counterfeit goods sites I could careless about. Although granted I've paid for a few since they were cheaper, they actually look just like the real thing with some slight differences.

TVTyrant
February 4th, 2012, 01:42 AM
Its also stupid considering the NBC live streaming is going to offer multiple camera angles, instant stats, rewind live (I think).

These so-called 'live streams' of the other sites, will simply be the TV coverage, boring huh.

Also GO PATRIOTS!
Everybody root for the Patriots plz.

Sunday is my birthday :D

n00b1n8R
February 4th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Shutting down sites for streaming public broadcasts is bullshit. Fucking hell, they should be EMBRACING it since the advertisers are paying to be seen!!!

The vast majority of the sites shut down sold counterfeit goods, however. I'm not going to shed a tear for them.
It's lost revenue from the public stations. People are seeing their content but there's no way for them to monitor how many people are watching so they can't charge what they deserve to get from their advertisers for their service.

There's a similar thing that's been happening in the SC2 community over re-streaming a korean tournament and to a lesser degree, the trend of people attending barcrafts (http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/BarCraft)to watch any tournament.

The best solution is for the free-to-air providers to provide a easy to use and unintrusive way for users to watch their shows online (this is happening increasingly in Australia).

Warsaw
February 4th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Some shows in the USA are like that.

Like Southpark.