PDA

View Full Version : ATT Throttling

STLRamsFan
February 7th, 2012, 01:36 PM
For anyone who has the ATT unlimited data plan, anyone getting throttled for using data BELOW 2gbs... Just got the message today that I am "reaching" the so called "top 5%" with only 1.4gbs used. Just about had it with this company. If this keeps up, come June I might as well just switch back to Verizon. I know a few folks who will be more than happy to hook me up with unlimited data.

Edit: After sending a text message that basically said that "they're full of it", I got a nice call from them. Tried to get me to switch to a tiered plan in which I basically laughed at them and said no. Complete bullying from this company to get me to give in, no way, especially with data sizes going up? Heck no.

BobtheGreatII
February 7th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I've had unlimited data from Verizon for about three years now. I haven't had a single complaint. The occasional data outage is annoying. But it tends to happen when they're adding more antennas. 4G is making a quick move and I hope it hits where I am here soon. My Galaxy Nexus is craving it. I think you would be better off switching to Verizon. That and their customer support is amazing.

STLRamsFan
February 7th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Yea that's what I've been hearing. Just talked to one of their reps and found out that I'll be able to transfer my ATT number to an account I take take over with unlimited data. Would do the whole loophole thing but I'll just take the easier route. Especially since I can always sell my iPhone for a good price. Plus, being able to put it back on to my dad's family plan would be an extra bonus.

Warsaw
February 7th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Except there's no more unlimited data on Verizon. Those who have it are those who were grandfathered in.

No, your best bet is to do what I do.

1. Enter into a new contract for dumbphones/featurephones, and get a freebie device.

2. Get the $15/mo. Unlimited Data for Non-Smartphones plan

3. Now go buy an international SIM-unlocked device-don't kid yourself, you're paying full price even when you get the subsidized discounts. Also, make sure whatever device you get has a 1900MHz frequency compatibility on both GSM and UMTS to get 3G/faux-G data speeds.

4. Insert SIM. Fix any roadblocks that pop up (unable to send MMS sometimes, have to do a little trick to fix, it's easy)

5. Donate free phone to the Phones for Soldiers charity

6. Profit.

Tada, now you are paying less than you would with Verizon, you get unlimited data, you are not harassed, and unless you are in the middle of fucking nowhere you have better service than either Sprint or T-Mobile. Oh, and then AT&T's GSM 3G is much faster than Verizon's EV-DO 3G, so there's that too.

STLRamsFan
February 7th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Except there's no more unlimited data on Verizon. Those who have it are those who were grandfathered in.

No, your best bet is to do what I do.

1. Enter into a new contract for dumbphones/featurephones, and get a freebie device.

2. Get the $15/mo. Unlimited Data for Non-Smartphones plan

3. Now go buy an international SIM-unlocked device-don't kid yourself, you're paying full price even when you get the subsidized discounts. Also, make sure whatever device you get has a 1900MHz frequency compatibility on both GSM and UMTS to get 3G/faux-G data speeds.

4. Insert SIM. Fix any roadblocks that pop up (unable to send MMS sometimes, have to do a little trick to fix, it's easy)

5. Donate free phone to the Phones for Soldiers charity

6. Profit.

Tada, now you are paying less than you would with Verizon, you get unlimited data, you are not harassed, and unless you are in the middle of fucking nowhere you have better service than either Sprint or T-Mobile. Oh, and then AT&T's GSM 3G is much faster than Verizon's EV-DO 3G, so there's that too.

Ah but you see, I know of a loophole that would allow me to get unlimited data. Did my research on it, like when I did my research on the ATT loophole which allowed me to get unlimited data and stick it to ATT before the throttling got this ridiculous (I can understand like 6-7 gbs, that's reasonable, but 1.5? Yea like that REALLY hurts the network). For those wondering, it's the Mobile Hotspot Loophole. Some say it's closed, while others say it's still open, not sure if I'll go with this option but it's an idea. The uncertainty of being able to do the exploit is what holds me back from doing this option.

The option I'll most likely end up doing is taking over an exciting contract that has unlimited data and port my number over. Found out from Verizon I would be able to port my number from ATT onto the account, transfer the account onto my dad's family plan (government discounts and all), and even keep the unlimited data plan as well.

Yea I know ATT's 3g is A LOT faster than Verizon's. But the fact that they're constantly harassing my about how much data I use, I could care less about it. I want to listen to my pandora and watch youtube in peace... Every time I get their text about data usage, I get the impression that they're telling me "Use wi-fi or else!". Plus, ATT and Verizon both use LTE for their 4g and I happen to be in two areas where they have it there. :)

Warsaw
February 8th, 2012, 01:40 PM
But that's my point, they won't be harassing you at all with my method. They only harass those with smartphone/laptop data plans.