PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best Parkour/Freerunning Shoes?

tylerp14
February 12th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I do Parkour and Freerunning a lot, and my B-Day is coming up in 3 weeks and I need to decide whats the best kind of shoe for Parkour/Freerunning.

I'm trying to find something that is really good for running up walls and has really amazing traction. Any idea's?

I was thinking of getting a pair of Vibram FiveFinger shoes, here's a picture:

Any idea's for some good shoes for what I need? The cost doesn't matter, as long as its under $250.

Cortexian
February 12th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Oh man... Glorified running.

Amit
February 12th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Why you hating on a legitimate art?

Donut
February 12th, 2012, 09:44 PM
:frogout:

i use running shoes, the kind with the plastic arch supports on them. i dont really know if theyre the best, but they certainly grip walls better than any of my other shoes.

Timo
February 12th, 2012, 09:46 PM

This is gold coming from the guy with a plastic gun as his signature

=sw=warlord
February 12th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Airsoft.
Oh man, pretending to be real soldiers in a Forest with toy plastic guns.
:allears:

Running up walls is a level of manliness beyond what pretending to be soldiers will ever get you.

Donut
February 12th, 2012, 10:51 PM
^ take up fencing while youre at it. youll be an IRL assassin.

TVTyrant
February 12th, 2012, 10:54 PM
^ take up fencing while youre at it. youll be an IRL assassin.
Or competition pistol shooting. Either way.

tylerp14
February 12th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Haha, anyways, any good shoes that grip walls like hell and that are really light weight?

Cortexian
February 12th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Why you hating on a legitimate art?
That's like saying driving NASCAR is an art.

This is gold coming from the guy with a plastic gun as his signature
Implying that plasic is a bad material just shows how uneducated you are about firearms. The "real-steel" SCAR has no more metal parts than the airsoft counter-part. Sorry for your loss.

Airsoft.
Oh man, pretending to be real soldiers in a Forest with toy plastic guns.
:allears:

Running up walls is a level of manliness beyond what pretending to be soldiers will ever get you.
Unfortunately for both of you, I was and am going to be a real soldier again. Airsoft is nothing but a means of physical fitness that I can incorporate some cross-training from my actual profession into.

So keep on running up walls and bragging about how manly you are. Would love to see you run for miles with 40-60 pounds of gear on. I've yet to see someone outrun a bullet either, regardless of how fast, in what direction, or what surface they're running on. Need I remind you that a soldier needs to be able to effectively move himself and his gear from one location to another and arrive with the ability to fight. A good soldier has the cardio capability of a machine, meaning that as long as it's supplied with fuel (and proper maintenance) it can keep moving indefinitely.

When I'm playing airsoft I'm carrying more load than you parkour scrubs could probably hold for 10 minutes (Not a literal sentance, since parkour isn't about upper-body strength, but you get my meaning).

tylerp14
February 12th, 2012, 11:47 PM
(Not a literal sentance, since parkour isn't about upper-body strength, but you get my meaning).

Actually, upper-body strength has a lot to do with Parkour, so does Freerunning, I'd love to see a "soldier" run up a 30 ft wall and then jump off an even higher obstacle... But I probably wont see that for awhile...

Back on topic please?

Donut
February 12th, 2012, 11:49 PM
wow what the hell is your problem? airsoft is a means of physical fitness, but parkour isnt?
it sounds like youve just got something against parkour and are looking for a reason to justify it. this is actually stupider than the airsoft vs paintball debates that happen on youtube. jesus :ugh:

to OP: i use Asics Duomax running sneakers. these are the ones i have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300600469967?hlp=false&var=600022223735. they do, indeed, grip like hell. i have no problem fencing on a polished hard wood basketball floor with these shoes on. again, idk if these are the best, but theyre what i use, and they work very well.
E: oh wow theyre also really fucking expensive on ebay. i got a pair for around 80 bucks at a dicks sporting goods.

E2:
When I'm playing airsoft I'm carrying more load than you parkour scrubs could probably hold for 10 minutes (Not a literal sentance, since parkour isn't about upper-body strength, but you get my meaning).
this is literally worse than those arguments in xbl lobbies where one kid calls another kid a scrub, and suddenly the discussion turns into how much of a whore the kid's dead mom is. not only are you wrong, but youre sitting here comparing two different sports like theres only enough space in the world for one of them. sorry we're not all in the military. the worst part is that you're serious, too. seriously, what the fuck is your deal?

these people definitely arn't "scrubs"
1fouvwilGWc

TVTyrant
February 13th, 2012, 12:01 AM
When did Modacity become the forum to fight about sports? First Football v. futbol and now parkour and airsoft? Why don't we just drop the H2V section and make a sports section?

Back on topic, I wouldn't go with those kinds of shoes, Tyler. For something like parkour you probably need something thats going to provide at least a little protection from the elements. I'd go with a training shoe, like zigtech tbh. Plenty of free movement and just enough build to not rip in half at the drop of a hat.

Donut
February 13th, 2012, 12:05 AM
I wouldn't go with those kinds of shoes, Tyler. For something like parkour you probably need something thats going to provide at least a little protection from the elements. I'd go with a training shoe, like zigtech tbh. Plenty of free movement and just enough build to not rip in half at the drop of a hat.
^this is definitely a good point. mine actually already have a hole in them, and i just got them last summer.
and dont even think of going out in the rain with them. these shoes are like "oh theres a light mist out here? well fuck you then. enjoy your wet feet asshole."

TVTyrant
February 13th, 2012, 12:09 AM
All that video you posted did was reminded me of how fat I am.

Amit
February 13th, 2012, 12:17 AM

No, really. Freerunning/Parkour is classified as body art.

TVTyrant
February 13th, 2012, 12:23 AM
:raise: By whom? Seriously, who classifies these things? The Body Art Department of the United Nations? IDGI.

Amit
February 13th, 2012, 12:52 AM
It doesn't have to be officially classified by anything. I guess I should have said that Freerunning is most widely classified as an art (body, motion, etc). It is also classified as art on Wikipedia.

neuro
February 13th, 2012, 01:46 AM

Implying that plasic is a bad material just shows how uneducated you are about firearms. The "real-steel" SCAR has no more metal parts than the airsoft counter-part. Sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately for both of you, I was and am going to be a real soldier again. Airsoft is nothing but a means of physical fitness that I can incorporate some cross-training from my actual profession into.

So keep on running up walls and bragging about how manly you are. Would love to see you run for miles with 40-60 pounds of gear on. I've yet to see someone outrun a bullet either, regardless of how fast, in what direction, or what surface they're running on. Need I remind you that a soldier needs to be able to effectively move himself and his gear from one location to another and arrive with the ability to fight. A good soldier has the cardio capability of a machine, meaning that as long as it's supplied with fuel (and proper maintenance) it can keep moving indefinitely.

your REALLY wonder why a lot of people on this forum have an issue with you?

Cortexian
February 13th, 2012, 03:55 AM
your REALLY wonder why a lot of people on this forum have an issue with you?
Indeed I do, people make quips about my opinion, I defend them, then people insult my defense. This thread is nothing but a perfect example of how this user-base likes to hate on me for no reason other than "because its Freelancer".

Parkour is just running, uselessly, around obstacles that aren't meant for that purpose. I place people who run Parkour into the same category as kids who skateboard on whatever they can get their hands on and think its cool. Sorry, but it's not. Hate to break it to you but you're not actually ninjas. Would rather see all the people running Parkour switch to something productive like marathons or biathlon.

And Parkour is focuses more on agility and leg/core strength than upper body. Whereas in the military we have to train legs, core, upper, and cardio. Basically everything that matters for anything useful in life requiring your body.

Anyhow, just use these for running up walls:
http://www.triop.cz/image/capoeira01.gif

That seems pretty effective to me!

@Amit: Oh, so we're just going off what a couple people like to say to their friends to classify things. In that case all of my friends and I classify Parkour as "useless exertion of effort".

TVTyrant
February 13th, 2012, 04:44 AM
I don't see what is wrong with it. As with everything that anyone has ever done ever, the people who are really into it can sometimes be obnoxious. But its just exercise, Lancer. People can do just about whatever they want, and as long as they aren't douchebags about it, I have no problems with it.

As a side note, check your visitor messages.

EX12693
February 13th, 2012, 06:07 AM
productive like marathons or biathlon.Lol. What.

=sw=warlord
February 13th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Unfortunately for both of you, I was and am going to be a real soldier again.
Awesome, if you ever get deployed give me a heads up and i'll let my friends know to watch out for friendly fire:downs:.
Airsoft is nothing but a means of physical fitness that I can incorporate some cross-training from my actual profession into.
And you claim Parkour isn't?

you realize that a swimmer who can swim 50 laps in a olympic swimming pool wouldn't be the best person to run a sprinting contest right?
Same with a Olympic hammer athlete.

I would sorely love to see you or your toy soldier friends do moves like these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x98jCBnWO8w

Indeed I do, people make quips about my opinion, I defend them, then people insult my defense. This thread is nothing but a perfect example of how this user-base likes to hate on me for no reason other than "because its Freelancer".
No, people jump on you because you're an ignorant prat who will make stupid comments and then try to defend them and as soon as people point this out to you, you play the victim card and pretend it's all the meanie trolls and you don't know why they pick on you.

See that?
That right there is why people jump on you.
Either grow up and quit bitching about people calling you out for your misguided attitude on the subject or keep that orifice on your face shut and don't make such stupid comments from which you can then play the victim card from.
Your choice.

t3h m00kz
February 13th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Indeed I do, people make quips about my opinion, I defend them, then people insult my defense.

Wow okay stopped reading there because that's not what happened at all

OP posted a serious question, and rather than contributing anything of value you went all counter-productive hipster and made a "snarky quip" about the topic, which is why everyone jumped on you

That's all I'm sayin

also this thread went to hell right quick

=sw=warlord
February 13th, 2012, 07:34 AM
also this thread went to hell right quick
you can blame our Dear Leader, The shining light of the forum who strives to avoid confrontations and do his duties as a forum Staff.

Llama Juice
February 13th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Yea, they should make me mod. I'd do a fantastic job of never doing anything.

On a side note, (AKA OT) I went to a parkour class last night. I'm wrecked haha. Feet/arms/ankles all just sore beyond belief. Everything we did was in a padded gymnasium, so no shoes/socks were worn. Sorry I can't really help with the question asked.

Also, it's practicality in real life is about as useful as gymnastics or airsoft. They're all just forms of exercise. As long as people are out and moving, that's what really matters. Don't hate on someone for doing what they enjoy. Especially if it isn't harming anybody.

Amit
February 13th, 2012, 09:22 AM
@Amit: Oh, so we're just going off what a couple people like to say to their friends to classify things. In that case all of my friends and I classify Parkour as "useless exertion of effort".

I said most widely known. ;) That means anybody who appreciates the activity for what it is. And by your logic Track & Field events do not qualify as sporting events, but they are widely known as sports and even officially a sport in the Olympics. I think the complexity/difficulty of Freerunning is what prevents it from being classified as a sport.

Why is everyone so mad? This is nothing new. He stated what he thinks and while most of us don't agree with him, you don't need to throw hostilities at him. An argument is called for, but that doesn't mean add insults to your posts. An argument is a process of reasoning and we need to convince him to look at this from another angle. We've done this before, but not without the negative attitude. That's why it never works.

Looks like if we can't mange this then we best ignore his posts and continue on to answer the OP's question.

Tnnaas
February 13th, 2012, 10:23 AM
ParkourShoesHQ

(http://parkourshoeshq.com/)It's like the Newegg of parkour shoes.

Which Shoes (http://parkourshoeshq.com/which-parkour-shoes/)
Top 10 (http://parkourshoeshq.com/top-10-parkour-shoes/)
The Best (http://parkourshoeshq.com/best-parkour-shoes/)

tylerp14
February 13th, 2012, 10:45 AM

Parkour is just running, uselessly, around obstacles that aren't meant for that purpose. I place people who run Parkour into the same category as kids who skateboard on whatever they can get their hands on and think its cool. Sorry, but it's not. Hate to break it to you but you're not actually ninjas. Would rather see all the people running Parkour switch to something productive like marathons or biathlon.

And Parkour is focuses more on agility and leg/core strength than upper body. Whereas in the military we have to train legs, core, upper, and cardio. Basically everything that matters for anything useful in life requiring your body.

Anyhow, just use these for running up walls:
http://www.triop.cz/image/capoeira01.gif

That seems pretty effective to me!

Wow dude, mad much? Parkour is pretty much getting from Point A. to Point B. the most efficient way possible. And Freerunning is a real sport.

wow what the hell is your problem? airsoft is a means of physical fitness, but parkour isnt?
it sounds like youve just got something against parkour and are looking for a reason to justify it. this is actually stupider than the airsoft vs paintball debates that happen on youtube. jesus http://www.modacity.net/forums/styles/smilies/cece_ugh.gif

to OP: i use Asics Duomax running sneakers. these are the ones i have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300600469967?hlp=false&var=600022223735. they do, indeed, grip like hell. i have no problem fencing on a polished hard wood basketball floor with these shoes on. again, idk if these are the best, but theyre what i use, and they work very well.
E: oh wow theyre also really fucking expensive on ebay. i got a pair for around 80 bucks at a dicks sporting goods.

Thanks I'll have a look, my $$$ limit is 250-300 so I shouldn't have an issue with that.

ParkourShoesHQ

(http://parkourshoeshq.com/)It's like the Newegg of parkour shoes.

Which Shoes (http://parkourshoeshq.com/which-parkour-shoes/)
Top 10 (http://parkourshoeshq.com/top-10-parkour-shoes/)
The Best (http://parkourshoeshq.com/best-parkour-shoes/)

Whoa sweetness!

Yea, they should make me mod. I'd do a fantastic job of never doing anything.

On a side note, (AKA OT) I went to a parkour class last night. I'm wrecked haha. Feet/arms/ankles all just sore beyond belief. Everything we did was in a padded gymnasium, so no shoes/socks were worn. Sorry I can't really help with the question asked.

Also, it's practicality in real life is about as useful as gymnastics or airsoft. They're all just forms of exercise. As long as people are out and moving, that's what really matters. Don't hate on someone for doing what they enjoy. Especially if it isn't harming anybody.

I agree with this term 1000000000%.

DarkHalo003
February 13th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Those Finger-Shoes or whatever are not meant for running. Do not use them for running. They have 0 Arch-Support.

Cortexian
February 13th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Real sports are Olympic sports. Everything else is second-rate.

I never said Parkour wasn't a form of exersise.

Just some points that I thought I'd correct since you guys can't interpret anything I write apparently.

I guess my beef with Parkour is that it's NOT EFFICIENT. It's a huge waste of energy, it's not about getting from point A to point B in the most efficient way possible. It's about doing it in the least convoluted way possible. The most efficent way would be to take the stairs or elevator like everyone else.

It's also useless in that it's not a skill you can use for anything else in life (except maybe running away from somewhere after violating someones daughter or stealing a bike).

tylerp14
February 13th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I vote that Cortexian shouldn't be able to post on this topic since he's not on topic.

StankBacon
February 13th, 2012, 04:14 PM
i actually agree with pretty much everything freelancer posted, and i think this freerunning/parkour shit is fucking stupid... always have.

=sw=warlord
February 13th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I guess my beef with Parkour is that it's NOT EFFICIENT. It's a huge waste of energy, it's not about getting from point A to point B in the most efficient way possible. It's about doing it in the least convoluted way possible. The most efficent way would be to take the stairs or elevator like everyone else.

So then, what's your thoughts on gym equipment?
Rowing machines aren't about getting from point A to point B but I hear they're pretty popular.
Same with cycle machines and treadmills.

Donut
February 13th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I never said Parkour wasn't a form of exersise.

see this V

So keep on running up walls and bragging about how manly you are. ... keep moving indefinitely.

you criticize parkour, then follow up with an explanation that you use airsoft as a "means of physical fitness", then criticize parkour again by explaining how physically fit you have to be to be a soldier. no, you never explicitly stated "parkour isnt exercise", but you make it sound like child's play, when in reality it is very physically demanding.

im sorry, did we miss the 2 different videos posted in this thread that clearly show people pulling themselves up walls? i was under the impression that THAT was upper body strength. if not then, then the bar work.

It's also useless in that it's not a skill you can use for anything else in life (except maybe running away from somewhere after violating someones daughter or stealing a bike).
bullshit. i have climbed up on multiple roofs to retrieve things and run wires and whatnot without the use of a ladder by using concepts and actions from parkour. all my other friends who do it have too. so dont even begin to say its "useless" and cant be used in life. one time when i was out doing recycling behind my school, this guy's dog got loose and made a beeline straight for me. i managed to get to safety by wall running and pulling myself up onto the roof of the school. the dog turned out to be really friendly, but the point still stands. i also like how you associate it with negative shit like stealing a bike, when it could JUST AS EASILY be used to chase down a purse snatcher, or, if youre chasing a criminal (if youre a cop or something), to get the drop on them. finally, it could just as easily be used to AVOID getting stabbed, raped, violated, or whatever by running away.

too hypothetical? most of that (aside from getting on the roof) is for me. and it probably wont often be used for that stuff anyway. theres this thing in the world that humanity is pretty good at. its called entertainment. yeah, i know, its a "holy shit" concept, but some people actually do stuff because its fun and they just enjoy doing it. i dont think you can sit here and tell me you put thousands of dollars into your airsoft equipment just for exercise. you enjoy it, right? same with parkour.

point is, dont sit here and talk down to people who do parkour because you think its "useless". you are straight up fucking wrong about that, for the above reasons. parkourists arnt hurting you, and they arnt hurting anybody else either (except themselves, occasionally). its a sport activity people do for enjoyment.

E: actually now that i think about it, ived used parkour to get up on top of roofs to shoot from while playing airsoft.

E2: i should probably clear this up: free-running and parkour are two different things. http://lincspk.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/parkour-vs-free-running-new-info/ see this link for an explanation

TVTyrant
February 13th, 2012, 05:14 PM
So then, what's your thoughts on gym equipment?
Rowing machines aren't about getting from point A to point B but I hear they're pretty popular.
Same with cycle machines and treadmills.
Bitch, don't even bring weightlifting into this. Its like the only exercise Im good at lol!

E: This thread has gotten silly. If I were a mod I would have cleaned this shit up pages ago. We are so far off-topic it makes my fucking user title look like a joke.

Donut
February 13th, 2012, 05:26 PM
^ if i were a mod, i wouldnt have immediately derailed the thread by demeaning people who participate in the sport in question.

other than that though, im pretty sure that "parkour shoes HQ" site is where this thread would have ended

ps: while we're on the topic, id just like to make it clear that i am not, nor have i ever been on the "hate on freelancer" bandwagon.

TVTyrant
February 13th, 2012, 05:31 PM
ps: while we're on the topic, id just like to make it clear that i am not, nor have i ever been on the "hate on freelancer" bandwagon.
me neither. In fact I really like FreeLancer most of the time.

samnwck
February 13th, 2012, 06:44 PM
I personally like the vibrams for free running. Though running in the wet can become quite unenjoyable. I heard someone say that they have no arch support, this is true, but in the case of myself and a few of my other fellow parkour(er)s you do eventually relearn how to run with them on and have no problem. I do have a friend though that could not hack them because he had pretty bad problems with his arches. And if you're jumping in them when you go to land(unless it's a short jump) I'd suggest you know proper technique to tuck and roll through a landing as these shoes do not have padding and you will destroy your feet if you jump and just land flat footed. That said, I've done 10 ft jumps and had no problem. The shoes are light as hell which is perfect for this activity.

As for the argument on it being glorified running and not using upper body strength. Well if you're saying you don't need upper body strength then clearly you've never done it. Climb a parking structure from the outside and tell me how easy going it is on your upper body. And I see it as a great way to exercise the whole body and have a blast doing it.

tylerp14
February 13th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I personally like the vibrams for free running. Though running in the wet can become quite unenjoyable. I heard someone say that they have no arch support, this is true, but in the case of myself and a few of my other fellow parkour(er)s you do eventually relearn how to run with them on and have no problem. I do have a friend though that could not hack them because he had pretty bad problems with his arches. And if you're jumping in them when you go to land(unless it's a short jump) I'd suggest you know proper technique to tuck and roll through a landing as these shoes do not have padding and you will destroy your feet if you jump and just land flat footed. That said, I've done 10 ft jumps and had no problem. The shoes are light as hell which is perfect for this activity.

As for the argument on it being glorified running and not using upper body strength. Well if you're saying you don't need upper body strength then clearly you've never done it. Climb a parking structure from the outside and tell me how easy going it is on your upper body. And I see it as a great way to exercise the whole body and have a blast doing it.

I like this guy ^^ :D

So then the vibram's are good? What kind of vimbram's sould I get?

Amit
February 13th, 2012, 09:07 PM
52 posts and registered in September of 2006? Where has this guy been?

Cortexian
February 13th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I think most gym equipment is building useless muscles. The best workouts are all done without equipment, the only thing I'd ever use would be a treadmill since it's literally just running which I do outside most of the time.

I also said that I used airsoft as cross-training exercise. It builds confidence to do certain things under a certain amount of pressure and secures your ability to move effectively with similar gear. The exercise is a nice side-effect. And don't bother going into the airsoft vs real debates, certain things DO cross-over, here's a great video demonstrating that:
GoHA-rhGeG4

Amit
February 14th, 2012, 12:04 AM
I think most gym equipment is building useless muscles.

Most real ​soldiers would debate that.

Cortexian
February 14th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Most real ​soldiers would debate that.
No they wouldn't... The extent of a real soldiers gym equipment is a pull-up bar...

TVTyrant
February 14th, 2012, 01:04 AM
No they wouldn't... The extent of a real soldiers gym equipment is a pull-up bar...
9,999 posts for you lancer. Quick, make a thread!

Many American soldiers lift weights extensively. Its a fun way to keep you musculature in shape, and without doing some important workouts like squats you can lose a lot of lower body strength. If you don't lift any other weights, you should do squats. They work your glutes, back, shoulders, hamstring, quads, and calves.

ICEE
February 14th, 2012, 01:37 AM
So keep on running up walls and bragging about how manly you are.

This is you. A giant tool

Bodzilla
February 14th, 2012, 02:32 AM
See where parkour comes into it's own apart from traditional exercise's is taht parkour is about hte conservation of movement, and useing your body's momentum to perform amazing peaks of endurance or agility at the same time.

Parkour isn't doing a bcak flip, or jumping from one pole to another, it's the continuation of these things together.

you can actually carry over the skills you learn in parkour into other areas in terms of body movement, because i used to do alot of that back when i was a cabinet maker, or now that i work in a bottle shop.
i can work faster and easier then anybody else i've ever worked with because of it.

TVTyrant
February 14th, 2012, 02:34 AM
You gave up cabinet making D: I really thought you made nice shit.

samnwck
February 14th, 2012, 02:41 AM
52 posts and registered in September of 2006? Where has this guy been?

I joined a long time ago back when this was Halo2vista.net or whatever it was just because I was really interested in modding, and actually if I remember I was like the 40th(?) person to sign up here. I used to be fairly active back when gearbox and halomaps forums were still worth a damn to get on. Now I more or less skulk in the shadows of this place and just read posts, and have been for about 6 years.

And as far as what vibrams you should get. The komodosport is a pretty good shoe, gives pretty good traction. I have also used the bikila as well. The bikila one is not my favorite but it was the first one I bought (I bought online), it's good and very light, as all the vibrams are, but I don't know there's something about it that makes it not quite as good the Komodo. I'd suggest you actually go to a retailer to buy the shoes as well, that way you can pick out the ones that you like the best, or decide if they're even right for you at all.

Another good shoe that I've used that I really like was the Reebok Realflex transition. They're light for a traditional shoe, have superb grip, but go through an area with small rocks and you're gonna be picking out every single rock that gets stuck in between the little grippers.

Bodzilla
February 14th, 2012, 06:15 AM
You gave up cabinet making D: I really thought you made nice shit.
Work at a supermarket now and a liquor store.

Cabinet making was a good job, it just sucks that the industry and hte people in it are completely fucked.

small buisness's for the fucking loose.

=sw=warlord
February 14th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Oh so that's why a few who I've known have gone in working as gym instructors after they left the RAF?

Cortexian
February 14th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Oh so that's why a few who I've known have gone in working as gym instructors after they left the RAF?
Those are physical fitness buffs, official training doesn't entail the use of any equipment. It's not a good workout if you have to pay to go to a gym to do it, especially since you can get just as good of a workout by yourself with nothing but yourself.

=sw=warlord
February 14th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Those are physical fitness buffs, official training doesn't entail the use of any equipment. It's not a good workout if you have to pay to go to a gym to do it, especially since you can get just as good of a workout by yourself with nothing but yourself.
Right...
Useless muscles, That's a term I'm going to have to remember, You do realize muscles don't form unless they serve a purpose right?

Cortexian
February 14th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Right...
Useless muscles, That's a term I'm going to have to remember, You do realize muscles don't form unless they serve a purpose right?http://healthyku.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/the-body-builder.jpg

Etc etc... Please don't use that lame excuse ever again.

Working out for the sake of working out to build muscle mass isn't exercise.

tylerp14
February 14th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I joined a long time ago back when this was Halo2vista.net or whatever it was just because I was really interested in modding, and actually if I remember I was like the 40th(?) person to sign up here. I used to be fairly active back when gearbox and halomaps forums were still worth a damn to get on. Now I more or less skulk in the shadows of this place and just read posts, and have been for about 6 years.

And as far as what vibrams you should get. The komodosport is a pretty good shoe, gives pretty good traction. I have also used the bikila as well. The bikila one is not my favorite but it was the first one I bought (I bought online), it's good and very light, as all the vibrams are, but I don't know there's something about it that makes it not quite as good the Komodo. I'd suggest you actually go to a retailer to buy the shoes as well, that way you can pick out the ones that you like the best, or decide if they're even right for you at all.

Another good shoe that I've used that I really like was the Reebok Realflex transition. They're light for a traditional shoe, have superb grip, but go through an area with small rocks and you're gonna be picking out every single rock that gets stuck in between the little grippers.

I heard that the KSO was a good vibram for Parkour, and the SPEED one's as well, any thoughts on those 2 kinds?

=sw=warlord
February 14th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Etc etc... Please don't use that lame excuse ever again.

Working out for the sake of working out to build muscle mass isn't exercise.

I dare you to point to me on this chart which muscles serve no use.
http://www.myweightlifting.com/images/muscle-anatomy-chart.jpg

Physical exertion of your bodies muscles is and always will be exercise whether you like it or not.
There will always be some form of extremism in what ever you do, too much water can cause you to drown in your lungs from too much fluid building, oxygen is also toxic in too high dozes.
Don't even attempt to use extreme examples in your effort to try and prove your point.

Every muscle on the human anatomy serves a purpose in some shape or form, some people tone those muscles to gain greater shape to them but that doesn't mean those new found built muscles serve no purpose.
Just because you find something unnecessary doesn't negate the fact someone else may not and as such please don't try to push your opinion as fact.

Cortexian
February 14th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Again, I thought my point was obvious. There's a difference between being fit and working out all the time just to build muscle mass, if your body type is more than "toned" (less so than ripped but more than athletic) than your muscles server no purpose. They're going to be overly developed for no real purpose, and working on all your muscles equally (which is what people strive for in gyms) is useless.

samnwck
February 14th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Professional football/basketball players, as well as MMA fighters, boxers, etc. still use weights as well as endurance training, they go hand in hand. Being able to lift more in your squat will equate to you being more explosive and more powerful. Lifting weights isn't just to look pretty, it also gives you an edge against someone who only just runs or does cardio. If you also run and incorporate weightlifting, you will be better off than the guy who does only running. That is how survival of the fittest works, the bigger you are, the more trained you are, the more endurance you, all become factors against beating an opponent. Obviously with guns that point really becomes moot.

Watch a Rocky training compilation hahah.

=sw=warlord
February 14th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Again, I thought my point was obvious. There's a difference between being fit and working out all the time just to build muscle mass, if your body type is more than "toned" (less so than ripped but more than athletic) than your muscles server no purpose. They're going to be overly developed for no real purpose, and working on all your muscles equally (which is what people strive for in gyms) is useless.
And again you're ignoring my point.

You claimed certain exercises are useless because of how they're not direct routes from A to B and then claimed the muscles built from those exercises are useless.
Not everyone who goes to the gym is looking to get ripped.
I myself went for quite some time though I never intended to become ripped, one of my main reasons was to actually build up my muscles and strengthen my heart after a near total organ shut down.
You've got a very narrow view on what peoples intentions are and that is what has spawned all this dissent for you.

I myself can be on a rowing machine for over an hour at highest difficulty and yet I am far from being athletic or ripped, all this means is I have good endurance, there are various forms of muscle structure, some is built for endurance such as parkour and in your case soldiers training while there is also short but high energy muscles such as body builders.

ICEE
February 14th, 2012, 02:34 PM

While this is a valid point, its also a complete non sequitur. The argument was whether or not workout machines function to build muscles that serve purpose. Yes, they do. However the idea that one can only use workout machines to build muscle beyond natural levels is completely hairbrained. True, it is best to train your muscles in a manner that more closely resembles their realistic functionality, but machines can be used to effectively train individual muscles without digivolving yourself into a giant musclehead. It's called moderation. Imagine that.

Higuy
February 14th, 2012, 07:56 PM
A good soldier has the cardio capability of a machine, meaning that as long as it's supplied with fuel (and proper maintenance) it can keep moving indefinitely.

Thats becuase soldiers are machines, there trained to be machines, with machine minds, and machine hearts. Men are not machines.

WibmcsEGLKo

Had to get that out of the way... Anyway, like Dount said on the first page, a pair of running shoes will do just fine, same with the shoes you posted in the op. I just use a pair of nikes and go all out, lol. It depends more so on your skill and ability rather than the type of shoes your using. As long as they have a decent enough bottom that isn't to worn out you'll be good.

Cortexian
February 15th, 2012, 06:21 AM
On-topic: Use some Oakley SI Assault Shoes.

Probably the best shoes I've EVER worn with INCREDIBLE grip, then again they're basically combat boot soles.

Llama Juice
February 15th, 2012, 11:29 AM
That way you can go TO WAR with PARKOUR...

Cortexian
February 15th, 2012, 11:56 AM
You don't wear runnign shoes to war.

tylerp14
February 15th, 2012, 01:46 PM
And you don't have to brag about being in the army...

=sw=warlord
February 15th, 2012, 02:03 PM
And you don't have to brag about being in the army...
He's not in the army, he's an airsoft player.
He just wants to join the army to shoot people.

tylerp14
February 15th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Ahhh, that clears things up lol.

samnwck
February 15th, 2012, 03:34 PM

Hahaha that made my day. Kinda sounds like the kids that play Call of Duty IMO

Cortexian
February 15th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Again, warlord going around spouting complete bullshit he knows nothing about.

I was in he Reserves for a year, completed basic training (not BMQ-Land), then had to abandon it for awhile to deal with some other shit IRL. At that point in time I was a real soldier. Now I'm re-applying and am about half way through the application process again. I expect to be back in it soon.

For all intensive purposes I am a real soldier and I'm in the Canadian Army as an Armored Soldier (Armored Recon).

You're also down-right wrong about my reasons for joining, I joined sincerely to serve my country and provide aid to foreign nations in the capacity that the Canadian Forces can provide. The majority of our deployments are humanitarian (disaster relief, security in third-world countries that REQUEST the Canadian Forces).

=sw=warlord
February 16th, 2012, 03:20 AM
if you serve your country like you served this website I'm sure you'll be a marvelous target practice buddy :iamafag:

Cortexian
February 16th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Hey warlord, since I don't give a shit about this site anymore:

Fuck you kid, you don't know anything about me. Feel free to take your opinions about me and shove them up your sister-mom's vagina. Only a retard-inbred hick could say some of the things you say on this website.

tylerp14
February 17th, 2012, 06:34 PM
I conqured my goal today! I ran up a 13 Foot wall and grabbed the top! I'm happy now...