PDA

View Full Version : Bioshock infinite

ICEE
March 15th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Hey lets talk about this game.

I saw this earlier. Looks pretty badass.
http://geeks.thedailywh.at/2012/03/14/geek-news-bioshock-infinite-baddie-of-the-day-2/

(http://geeks.thedailywh.at/2012/03/14/geek-news-bioshock-infinite-baddie-of-the-day-2/)The gun looks wierd though, im not sure how they're pulling that off as a 1910's firearm. Maybe im wrong though

Warsaw
March 15th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Yeah, it's more like a 1918 (Schmeisser MP.18 anybody?) firearm but hey, close enough.

I look forward to this game. It's story intrigues me more than BioShock's does, but I think that's because I had BioShock ruined for me before I ever got to play it.

DarkHalo003
March 15th, 2012, 10:37 PM
attvYJb6xn8

Pure awesomeness.

Zeph
March 18th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Based on the ending of Bioshock 1, I dont supposed any of the games are direct sequels to one another are they? I've got Bioshock 2, I just haven't been able to play any of it.

DarkHalo003
March 18th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Based on the ending of Bioshock 1, I dont supposed any of the games are direct sequels to one another are they? I've got Bioshock 2, I just haven't been able to play any of it.
Character-wise, no, but BioShock2 takes place in Rapture 10 years after the first game and the place has turned pretty damn rough. It's a great game, especially on the PC.

Amit
March 18th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Infinite is the prequel to Bioshock.

Warsaw
March 18th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Spiritual. It takes place earlier in history, but I don't think they actually said it is a literal prequel in the same world/timeline as Bioshock 1 and 2.

Patrickssj6
October 22nd, 2012, 09:13 AM
5gBVZj6ROV0
P3ALwKeSEYs

DarkHalo003
October 22nd, 2012, 12:18 PM
I CAME

TO TELL YOU GUYS I THOUGHT THAT SHIT WAS AWESOME.

Look at the guy with the Coffin on his back during the trailer. And the obvious Rapture lighthouse in the beginning. :)

El Lobo
October 22nd, 2012, 12:25 PM
Fannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn-fucking-tastic looking. Love the style of Bioshock games.

Donut
October 22nd, 2012, 01:02 PM
and, to top it off, the end of the trailer said nothing about games for windows live.

BobtheGreatII
October 22nd, 2012, 01:32 PM
People are complaining about the music in the trailer. I thought it was awesome. I swear... I think Kotaku is worse than Modacity sometimes.

Amit
October 22nd, 2012, 01:47 PM
Kotaku is so full of shit. Bioshock Infinite is sexy-mazing.

Higuy
October 22nd, 2012, 02:11 PM
It really looks great, and this is coming from a guy whos never played any Bioshock games. Perhaps I should start.

Timo
October 22nd, 2012, 04:35 PM
God damn it it's so far away.

Bobblehob
October 23rd, 2012, 11:22 AM
It really looks great, and this is coming from a guy whos never played any Bioshock games. Perhaps I should start.

Oh man, go play the original, it is incredible.

DarkHalo003
October 23rd, 2012, 11:55 AM
Oh man, go play the original, it is incredible.
Play both for that matter! I recommend Bioshock 2 for PC rather than Box though.

EagerYoungSpaceCadet
October 23rd, 2012, 12:03 PM
Play both for that matter! I recommend Bioshock 2 for PC rather than Box though.I prefer the original. There is something about the second game that makes it feel really clunky and unresponsive, and it makes me feel lightheaded (could be the low FOV).

TeeKup
October 23rd, 2012, 12:16 PM
I loved 2, never understood the hate for it.

Higuy
October 23rd, 2012, 04:41 PM
Bought it off Steam yesterday, pretty sweet so far :)

Bobblehob
October 23rd, 2012, 04:49 PM
I loved 2, never understood the hate for it.\
I didn't hate it, but I found the story sub-par when compared with the first. They fixed the gameplay mechanic troubles, but made the story worse.

=sw=warlord
October 23rd, 2012, 07:11 PM
\
I didn't hate it, but I found the story sub-par when compared with the first. They fixed the gameplay mechanic troubles, but made the story worse.
The story was a different story, It might not have had a "would you kindly?" moment but that doesn't mean it's somehow sub par.

Bobblehob
October 23rd, 2012, 07:31 PM
The story was a different story, It might not have had a "would you kindly?" moment but that doesn't mean it's somehow sub par.

Its just my opinion, there just wasn't nearly as much meat to the story, it seemed flat compared to the original. I still enjoyed the game, but not nearly as much. Keep in mind this is it being compared to the first story. Compared to other storylines it was perfectly adequate, just not compared to the original.

BobtheGreatII
October 23rd, 2012, 08:55 PM
I think Bioshock 2 suffered what most sequels suffer. And that's "How do we top what we just did?" It really didn't stand a chance. It was still a good game though.

Bobblehob
October 23rd, 2012, 09:00 PM
I think Bioshock 2 suffered what most sequels suffer. And that's "How do we top what we just did?" It really didn't stand a chance. It was still a good game though.

Very true.

Sever
October 25th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed Bioshock 2, but no more than that. I wasn't enamored, awestruck, or even compelled by the game, but I did revel in the continuation of the universe's back-story development through audio-logs containing Bioshock 1's original characters. The game felt more like an overdeveloped, drawn-out, player-constricting expansion, with some additional characters, game-play modifications, and a one-off universe-facet-origin storyline. I will say it was all-in-all well done, but not enough to stand on its own without its predecessor.

Bioshock Infinite feels like early TF2, in the way that it's being entirely constructed from the ground (or is it clouds?) up focusing on all relevant aspects of game-play - readability, play-style diversity, re-playability, character development, storyline meshing, etc.. From what I've seen, I feel that the development team has clear-set goals that stand apart from recent story-driven first person shooters, and thus is able to step back from the current conventions and re-assess how to construct a fully-realized universe, encompassing its history, game-play, and character elements in strongly-unifying ways.

Kornman00
December 10th, 2012, 02:10 AM
http://venturebeat.com/2012/12/08/bioshock-infinites-generic-protagonist-fits-into-every-game-gallery/

Bobblehob
March 24th, 2013, 03:10 AM
Considering that the game comes out in 2 days, I feel like this is a good time to resurrect this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLGWGEOgGsQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRjNMQZ1qBk

So fucking excited!

Timo
March 24th, 2013, 04:02 AM
Shout out to flibit who scored this for me $20USD cheaper than I would get in NZ. This game is going to be wicked.

Bobblehob
March 24th, 2013, 07:53 PM
^Yes! Also, if any of you people haven't gotten it yet, you can get a free copy of the original Bioshock, some tf2 stuff, and a copy of Xcom: Enemy Unknown (Which is 50 bucks on steam) For free if you buy Infinite... Holy crap o.o

Its also a 15 Gig pre-load for a single player only game -__-

Donut
March 24th, 2013, 08:10 PM
ive been burned twice on full price preorders recently. first with assassins creed 3, then with far cry 3. granted they were both from ubisoft, that turned me off of preordering this. im skeptical at this point. maybe ill get it when it goes on sale later.

DarkHalo003
March 25th, 2013, 11:22 AM
I want this game, but I'm going to wait for sales because I kind of have to. I can't even buy HotS right now, let alone a fully priced game.

Limited
March 25th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Just played first 15 minutes. So far its great, graphics are beautiful - so glad my rig can play it full settings DX11 smooth as silk.

Amit
March 25th, 2013, 11:32 PM
I was going to pass on it despite knowing how deep it would be. There's just nothing like a little video to convince someone otherwise. I watched Adam Sessler's review and that completely changed my mind. I will be playing and discovering every crevice of the world there is.

Pooky
March 26th, 2013, 08:21 AM
I watched Adam Sessler's review and that completely changed my mind.

I watched Adam Sessler's review

I watched Adam Sessler

Adam Sessler

wtf why

Amit
March 26th, 2013, 11:46 PM
I was skeptical at first as well as to why it was as high on /r/Gaming, but just watch it and you'll see what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jchIi-vR_js

Higuy
March 27th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Been playing this game, super impressed with it so far. Definitely worth the 60 dollars that was dished out for it.

Higuy
March 27th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Double post:

Just beat this game. Two words: Holy shit.

If your on edge about playing this, get it. Its one of the best games with an actually decent story to it. However, if you haven't played the first one, you really should to understand the whole experience.

jcap
March 28th, 2013, 07:44 PM
I didn't like Bioshock. I hated the citizens, your main character, the fucking alarms around every corner, the Plumbing Simulator 2007 hacking, the Big Daddy's, the plot... But I played this game anyway expecting it to be the same shitty gameplay and nonexistent story.

Well fuck me sideways. I have never been so immersed in a game and its story. Absolutely flawless execution. The plot, the characters, the cutscenes...the entire way the story was presented. Everything is just perfect. I really don't know what to say that hasn't been said by by literally every review.

ejburke
March 29th, 2013, 02:17 AM
I liked Bioshock, but I love Bioshock Infinite. It's better in every way. I was on to the twist about 2/3's in, but it didn't matter. I probably could have gone in completely spoiled and it wouldn't have mattered. It's one of those things that you have to experience to get the effect.

Now I'm seeing there are a few people that hated/didn't understand the ending. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck them.

Amit
March 29th, 2013, 03:30 AM
I now regret coming back into this thread. Because now I know there a twist :( :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KTc4zI_7-Ms

ejburke
March 29th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Heh, if it wasn't me, it would have been somebody else. People are going to be finishing the game this weekend and it's going to be everywhere.

Plus, it was mentioned in most of the reviews I read. And it's a Bioshock game.

But if it helps, it's less a twist in that it's not trying to trick you. It's more like you start the game and everything is very etherial and dream like and slowly you're brought along until everything makes more and more sense and at the end, the final piece of the puzzle is handed to you. It's much more gradual a revelation than just one moment.

I was expecting a twist and I loved the game, so it didn't hurt my enjoyment at all. In fact, I believe it's designed specifically with the player's expectation of a twist in mind.

EDIT: By the way, the first thing you see when you start a new campaign is a quote, "The mind of the subject will desperately struggle to create memories where none exist." If you don't know something is up from that, then I don't know what to tell you.

ICEE
March 29th, 2013, 01:59 PM
This game is composed for the fan of bioshock 1. so many calculated scenes are clearly in homage to scenes from BS1, you are expected to draw parallels. As much as the gameplay is different from the original 2, the plot and execution are what make this a spiritual successor. It is rare that I find a game that I really think is a 10/10. Bioshock infinite ftw.

ejburke
March 29th, 2013, 02:59 PM
10/10 for me, too. Ken Levine is a brilliant auteur and I hope he keeps making games. But let's not lose sight of the fact that this took almost 6 years to make. It's almost not fair to compare it to other games.

If I had one gripe, it'd be that I still don't like the way they handle player death. It takes out all the satisfaction of clearing an encounter for me if I died and res'd right in the middle of it like some crappy MMO. They don't checkpoint often enough to make manually reloading when I die a viable option.

Amit
March 29th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Heh, if it wasn't me, it would have been somebody else. People are going to be finishing the game this weekend and it's going to be everywhere.

Plus, it was mentioned in most of the reviews I read. And it's a Bioshock game.

But if it helps, it's less a twist in that it's not trying to trick you. It's more like you start the game and everything is very etherial and dream like and slowly you're brought along until everything makes more and more sense and at the end, the final piece of the puzzle is handed to you. It's much more gradual a revelation than just one moment.

I was expecting a twist and I loved the game, so it didn't hurt my enjoyment at all. In fact, I believe it's designed specifically with the player's expectation of a twist in mind.

EDIT: By the way, the first thing you see when you start a new campaign is a quote, "The mind of the subject will desperately struggle to create memories where none exist." If you don't know something is up from that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Oh, well I knew right off the bat everything isn't as it seems, especially with the fucked up noir moments.

Higuy
March 29th, 2013, 03:30 PM
I would give this a 10/10 too. Its perfectly executed, and theres not a whole lot to find thats wrong with it, if anything at all lol.

I'd say this is one of the best games I've played in a long, long time. I'm even tempted to say it may be the best I have ever played in terms of a single player FPS.

DEElekgolo
March 29th, 2013, 07:24 PM
good thing

Bobblehob
April 2nd, 2013, 11:17 AM
10/10 5/5 A+ Just a masterfully executed experience. I loved going back and seeing all the little details that pop up and point to the ending earlier in the game, little things that I noticed but didn't connect that now make sense. Anyone else notice the organgrinder music in Battleship Bay that sounds like Girls Just Wanna Have Fun?

Im so glad that this game came along, I think we all really needed a good game like this to cleanse the FPS pallete.

Also, anyone else actually excited for the Story DLC coming along later on? I sure as hell am.

Sever
April 2nd, 2013, 12:07 PM
Anyone else notice the organgrinder music in Battleship Bay that sounds like is Girls Just Wanna Have Fun?That, among others:
Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World
REM - Shiny Happy People
The Beach Boys - God Only Knows
Soft Cell - Tainted Love
Also, a handful by the composer/pianist Scott Joplin, the king of ragtime.

ejburke
April 2nd, 2013, 12:41 PM
I caught all of the 1912-ized song covers. The only one I didn't realize was a cover was the Beach Boys song. Wasn't very familiar with it. I love how all of those songs' lyrics fit so well thematically with the story.

Bobblehob
April 3rd, 2013, 12:20 AM
I caught all of the 1912-ized song covers. The only one I didn't realize was a cover was the Beach Boys song. Wasn't very familiar with it. I love how all of those songs' lyrics fit so well thematically with the story.

Yeah, I didn't realize God Only Knows was a Beach Boys song either o.O and I didnt recognize Tainted Love either -__-

ICEE
April 7th, 2013, 01:42 PM
10/10 for me, too. Ken Levine is a brilliant auteur and I hope he keeps making games. But let's not lose sight of the fact that this took almost 6 years to make. It's almost not fair to compare it to other games.

If I had one gripe, it'd be that I still don't like the way they handle player death. It takes out all the satisfaction of clearing an encounter for me if I died and res'd right in the middle of it like some crappy MMO. They don't checkpoint often enough to make manually reloading when I die a viable option.

That was my only gripe too. I just beat this game on 1999 mode, resetting the checkpoint every time I died rather than allowing myself to respawn. it was pretty intense. In a way, playing like that brings back the SNES-era gaming feel, where you start to memorize levels and encounters and how to get past them without dying. I never expected that nostalgic feeling to be brought back by a new-age FPS. It was pleasant for me, but others might find it frustrating.

1999 mode forces you to get clever with your vigors, make headshots with your guns, scrounge for supplies, and always stay in cover. In short, it was awesome.

DarkHalo003
April 7th, 2013, 01:59 PM
The loss of the concept of player death in Bioshock games was kind of a turn off after I became good enough to hardly ever die. Sometimes it's great, but other times it kind of takes away from the fight. BioShock2 especially suffered from this, where a lot of fights were pretty damn tough, but being revived without hardly any consequence aside from not being exactly in that area you were before made stuff a lot easier. They should have just made the Chambers checkpoints in which once you die, you don't revert to where you last saved, but rather to that Chamber instead.

I've almost the money for this game. I can't wait for another Bioshock adventure, especially one that I've heard qualifies video games as an art form.

=sw=warlord
July 11th, 2013, 02:37 PM
New DLC mb?
http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/items/245070/cde00856d047654f33d98588ae4200660341f58b.jpg

Patrickssj6
July 11th, 2013, 05:16 PM
also: on sale 50%

Dwood
April 16th, 2014, 05:01 PM
So, I just beat Bioshock 1 for the first time. (Good ending) Wow, dat plot twist and dem feels. That plot twist threw me for a real loop when i made it to Ryan. :gonk: It also really ripped my sense of reality out the window for the whole bit I was watching the cinematic.

I'm downloading (at terrible 150 kbps) bioshock 2 right now and just watched the trailer for it. Looks pretty sweet, too.

On an on topic note: if someone wants to accept doge I'll trade them for a steam key of Bio Infinite + dlc.