PDA

View Full Version : (WIP) Forerunner 101 Tutorial

PopeAK49
May 29th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Please note that this is my first set of tutorials that I'm trying to perfect for those whom want to know how I model forerunner. Here are tutorials 1-3 in which I'll clean up with better examples and commentary in the future. My goal is to create a modeling tutorial based on forerunner architecture. This is a basic tutorial for now.

---Introduction and Overview of Forerunner Architecture---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gtrquA5X6E&feature=relmfu

---Basic Layout Design---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a5uk_BRaRw&feature=relmfu

---Tools, Techniques, and Application---

-Part 1-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTstJuqo-yE&feature=relmfu

-Part 2-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gR_Rg1_qTI&feature=relmfu

-Part 3-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqPtflWDF0c&feature=relmfu

---Modeling and Texturing the Interior of a Forerunner base---
(In Progress)

---Modeling and Texturing the Exterior of a Forerunner base---
(In Progress)

Cagerrin
May 29th, 2012, 11:51 PM
I really wish people would stop believing in 30-degree angles on forerunner stuff.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/TalonX/randomstuff/forerunner_cheat_sheet_angles_units.png

10-inch units, 1/1, 1/2, 1/3 angles.

PopeAK49
May 30th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Yes. Because posting a picture of simple triangles really tells me why I should stop believing in 30 degree angles. I said 45 degrees is the most common. Did I not?

Cagerrin
May 30th, 2012, 12:30 AM
30-degree angles aren't used anywhere that I can remember as of Halo 2(and let's face it, H2 refined the architecture to its best form). Mentioning them as if they're used is probably a bad idea since it'll screw up any measurement that follows from the second end of the angle. H2 uses as noted: 10-inch units, 1/1, 1/2, 1/3 angles.

PopeAK49
May 30th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Whoops. My bad. I did mumble 30 degree angles. And last time I checked, I never used 30 degree angles! Thanks for finding that error Cagerrin. I will edit it out in the final product.

Cagerrin
May 30th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Heh, I posted as soon as you mentioned it, hadn't gotten far enough in to see whether you used them in examples or not. Sorry if I was too antagonistic as it's a bit of a pet peeve.

You're doing bloody great with the modeling examples, now that I've gotten further in. The inset at the beginning of 3.2 is mildly odd, in that most insets with an edge that complicated in H2 are usually more than simple bevels, they usually use parts of an edge or two to have a deeper beveled bit or something similar, lemme work up an example.

PopeAK49
May 30th, 2012, 01:01 AM
I didn't take offense to what you said. In fact, I appreciated it. I was just confused by your first post.

It's nice to have another forerunner god giving me some suggestions :downs:. I'm just trying to create this tutorial for those newbies out there.

The inset at the beginning of 3.2 is mildly odd, in that most insets with an edge that complicated in H2 are usually more than simple bevels, they usually use parts of an edge or two to have a deeper beveled bit or something similar, lemme work up an example.

Yeah, those bevels didn't look right when I got it complete. I just didn't want to go overboard with the details. That demonstration was to get the user comfortable with the tools I use to create forerunner architecture. But please, draw up an example. I would appreciate it very much.

Cagerrin
May 30th, 2012, 01:16 AM
well, this is a huge mess of "can't tell intent on the internets", bleh. As to "forerunner god", if I've done more it is by standing on the shoulders of giant(metal erections, that is). too pretentious y/n?

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/TalonX/randomstuff/WIP/f_inset_example.jpg

PopeAK49
May 30th, 2012, 01:24 AM
So just like the pillars inside of the Death Island/Silent Cartographer structures.

Cagerrin
May 30th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Yeah, it's that sort of idea, though I've noticed the Silent Cartographer pillars are a bit warped.

The best way to figure out forerunner, I think, is to find the H2 Xbox .maps and a version of Entity that exports .sbsp to .obj properly, and take a look around in Max. Sentinel walls is particularly good.

Rainbow Dash
May 30th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I really wish people would stop believing in 30-degree angles on forerunner stuff.

I really wish you would get good at forerunner. Also using halo 2 as an example of exceptional forerunner architecture lol, because those boxy yellow buildings really looked sooo good~

EX12693
May 30th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Halo 3 had the best Forerunner architecture imo. They kinda messed it up in Reach and Anniversary SP. Though the Anniversary MP stuff looks pretty good.

PopeAK49
May 30th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I really wish you would get good at forerunner. Also using halo 2 as an example of exceptional forerunner architecture lol, because those boxy yellow buildings really looked sooo good~

He's pretty good. He's not talking about delta halo either btw. Its sentinel wall mission which is decent. But I have to agree that Halo 3 has the best forerunner out of all Halo's.

Cagerrin
May 30th, 2012, 07:41 PM
sorry for not really spelling out everything in 600pt IMPACT so you can figure it out~

!!

e: if it helps, I can't even remember a single bit of forerunner you've made that impressed me

(actually I can't remember a single bit of forerunner you've made, except those pseudo-alpha bits of B40 that were so bad I had to Alt-F4 and shred the .map)

Higuy
May 30th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Halo 2 had some of the best Forerunner architecture in the sentinel walls levels and also the last couple of levels. Halo 3 had amazing architecture as well.

Also, Sel is very good but so is Caggerin, both of you guys do some amazing works. Also i'm really glad Pope is doing these tutorials, I hope they will benefit the community so that more people start modeling decently.

Ki11a_FTW
May 30th, 2012, 10:22 PM
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/939/maxwif.jpg
am i doing it right

PopeAK49
May 31st, 2012, 01:48 AM
am i doing it right

Finest work I have ever seen.

Boba
May 31st, 2012, 06:51 AM
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/939/maxwif.jpg
am i doing it right

i think i know what u were going for.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8632965/modacityhelp.png

quite easily actually. just make a 5x5 grid and u do the rest.

as always, hh. :)

Rainbow Dash
June 1st, 2012, 12:28 PM
e: if it helps, I can't even remember a single bit of forerunner you've made that impressed me

ooOooOOoooOOOoooOOOOoooOOOOOoooOO

"i dont like ur work" is a brilliant refutation, good job, you've clearly proven your point to be correct.

Clearly 30/60 degree angles are dumb because they don't use them in halo 2 guys!! This proves it!!

Do you seriously not understand how fucking ridiculous that logic is?

Cagerrin
June 1st, 2012, 02:16 PM
You realise that the line after that was mostly meant to point out that the previous one was me talking out of my ass?

PopeAK49
June 1st, 2012, 03:09 PM
Can we please stop guys? 30 degree angles (from what I know) are mostly seen in circular forerunner architecture, but it is rare.

I admire (not really) that you troll every thread with some sort of negativity Sel, but atleast show your kind intelligence when arguing with someone. I know you have the ability to do so.

Cagerrin
June 1st, 2012, 03:39 PM
Regarding circular architecture, the angles don't generally matter as they're only trying to approximate a proper quarter/half/circle anyway.

Rainbow Dash
June 2nd, 2012, 10:57 AM
Can we please stop guys? 30 degree angles (from what I know) are mostly seen in circular forerunner architecture, but it is rare.

I admire (not really) that you troll every thread with some sort of negativity Sel, but atleast show your kind intelligence when arguing with someone. I know you have the ability to do so.

How the fuck is that trolling?

That is literally the argument he is making.

PopeAK49
June 3rd, 2012, 04:12 PM
It was sarcasm bro. Sorry man, but it does seem like everytime you respond in a thread you create some sort of heated argument. :realsmug:

I wasn't trying to disrepect you at all. It was just kind of trollish that you came into my thread and told someone that is really good at forerunner that they suck.

I admire both of your guy's work. Sel knows how to create some good looking forerunner too, as seen from the beautiful level of requiem.

Anyways, I have not made any progress with the tutorial due to an anti-cancer fun raiser I wanted to attend this weekend for my friends Mom.

t3h m00kz
June 12th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Can't have furries without drama

Same could be said for forerunner architecture though!!

Rentafence
June 13th, 2012, 02:39 PM
I'm going to model the most ornate and intricate forerunner structure and make sure each angle is off by half a degree so you can all yell at me about how it's not forerunner because the angles are off.

PopeAK49
June 13th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I'm going to model the most ornate and intricate forerunner structure and make sure each angle is off by half a degree so you can all yell at me about how it's not forerunner because the angles are off.

Who are you talking too?

BobtheGreatII
June 14th, 2012, 07:35 PM

DO IT!

Cagerrin
June 14th, 2012, 08:01 PM
just make sure they're all off by half a degree in the same direction~

heh

TVTyrant
June 15th, 2012, 01:11 AM
:protarget:

Nero
June 15th, 2012, 01:50 AM
the nerd-o-meter is off the charts in this thread. holy crap.... haha