PDA

View Full Version : Ways to fix this for future use?

DarkHalo003
October 22nd, 2012, 03:41 PM
Hello Mod-a-city.

I think it's important that I ask this. I have not bought this game port for this question's reverence as well. Everyone and every thread I have consulted seems to point me away from this game port. I'm not asking why and those sources easily conclude way. My question is rather the contrary to those conclusions: how can we, as people who know how far deep this game port has gone, fix it to revitalize it? Save it? I'm suggesting so because recently a good individual created a no-lead-fix for Halo Custom Edition servers that does a pretty good job at reducing the lead. This change simply got me to thinking about old, fucked up H2GoW (it was H2V, but now is Games for Windows). Is there anything we can do as a community to fix it? Halo 2 was a great, hyper-competitive, but great multiplayer experience that can still be played today.

As an enlightened community, can we even fix it from the "Buyer's Remorse?" Is there a way to promote it in ways that Halo 2 can live on and retain that classic Halo gameplay for modern FPS gamers with most FPS games respectfully taking newer approaches? I miss a lot of Halo 2. Not the BXR, or BRB, or other exploited glitches. I don't miss the hackers (never will) in Matchmaking and I have heard that's what most hacking is in H2PC. I miss the Covenant Carbine and the old-school matches of Zombies. I miss Dual-Wielding and the hilariousness that was Halo 2 Elite bipeds being ran over by Ghosts. We all know the likelihood of another Halo PC Port is very unlikely given how console love is declining as the fad of home consoles is slowly deteriorating (as technology improves as well). So is there anyway to revive this game port? Any way at all? Any way to save it from dying like Halo 3 has and soon Halo Reach? Halo PC (not HCE, but PC) has lived for 10 years with just regular maps, so why can't we do the same with H2PC?

I think we need to save this game port, mainly because if it's plausible I know this community can.

Patrickssj6
October 22nd, 2012, 04:11 PM
i choose m00kz

tldr

Cortexian
October 22nd, 2012, 04:54 PM
Halo 1 was better so why bother?

t3h m00kz
October 22nd, 2012, 05:46 PM
Halo 2 had cuter elites

thehoodedsmack
October 22nd, 2012, 05:58 PM
I've never actually played Halo 2 apart from local multiplayer a few times. It's got this mysterious aura about it to me. Is there much activity with H2V these days, in terms of populated servers? Might consider finally picking it up if people still play it.

Pooky
October 22nd, 2012, 06:20 PM
H2v is a waste of time. The mouse controls are completely fucked up and useless. The game has vsync forced on which gives obnoxious input delay, but if you force it off you get jumpy erratic sensitivity. Mouse control with vehicles is painfully slow and gay and the online is laggy anyway.

JackalStomper
October 22nd, 2012, 06:24 PM
Even if H2V wasn't total shit I personally would have little interest in it. Call me crazy but gameplay consisting of 'whoever fires the first burst wins' isn't all that exciting to me.
Or that may have just been because I played the shit out of it on H2X and it lost all entertainment after the 3912423425 match of the same thing...

DarkHalo003
October 22nd, 2012, 10:44 PM
Halo 1 was better so why bother?

Halo 2 had cuter elites
^

And Jackal, as right as you are, there are somethings that are just exclusive to the game that I'd like to play again.

@Pooky: This makes me sad. BTB made Halo 2 awesome for me.

Ryx
October 22nd, 2012, 10:57 PM
The best way to fix h2v is forget it ever happened.

t3h m00kz
October 22nd, 2012, 11:53 PM
BTB was pretty fun in Halo 2, I really wish I'd played more of it.. it's too bad I stuck around with profags who thought 4v4 BR was the only way to play

The few times I played containment were a blast

supersniper
October 23rd, 2012, 04:46 PM
if people actually played the game, maybe I'd be interested in putting up the original xbox live playlists on h2v but no one is interested.

and maybe Kiwi and I would finish project Breeze (a universal stat tracking program and rank calculation from h2x for h2v)

Zeph
October 23rd, 2012, 04:51 PM
Halo 2 Vista is fine. Windows Live is a horrible piece of shit. The Live aspect was what killed the editing kit and subsequently the possibility of the game. You wont be able to get rid of it. You wont be able to fix it.

Pooky
October 23rd, 2012, 05:13 PM
Halo 2 Vista is fine.

Have you actually played this game? The control is completely broken.

nuttyyayap
October 23rd, 2012, 06:00 PM
The only problem I have with H2V is the slight stiffness of the control while in a 'hog, other vehicles are fine oddly enough.

Resinball
October 23rd, 2012, 08:12 PM
There are a lot of valid complaints against the game which usually leads to musings of nostalgia for the OG XBOX release.

Now I prefer M/KB in most FPS, but not all of them these days; less buttons but more comfort is not the worst trade-off, especially for me as I like to play many newer games with multiple inputs thus enabling a different feel/play-style.

Halo CE on the XBOX was actually the first game to convince me that an FPS could be playable on a console and with a controller. H2X did not have a M/KB option; thus I do not see why you guys don't just play H2V with a 360 gamepad.

And yes; G4WL (or whatever rebranding they are currently attempting) blows all the goats.

t3h m00kz
October 24th, 2012, 01:04 AM
h2v is no more broken than it's xbox counterpart - especially if using a gamepad. m/kb works fine if you practice for a few hours

gfwl however is a piece of shit that should never exist

Btcc22
October 24th, 2012, 08:32 AM
h2v is no more broken than it's xbox counterpart - especially if using a gamepad. m/kb works fine if you practice for a few hours

I tried but I'm too picky to accept such awful mouse input. Even HPC's mouse acceleration has to be set to 0 before I can play it.

supersniper
October 24th, 2012, 12:56 PM
To be honest the only issues I have on m/k is the turret control issues. (especially stationary)

Pooky
October 24th, 2012, 06:35 PM

It doesn't work fine it jumps around in sensitivity every time your framerate spikes

Unless you use vsync and just enjoy input lag or something

t3h m00kz
October 24th, 2012, 07:13 PM
To be honest the only issues I have on m/k is the turret control issues. (especially stationary)

vehicles made me angry. the view movement was not hindered by vehicles in halo 1 which was why it was so much easier to drive in that game.

Ki11a_FTW
October 25th, 2012, 09:23 PM
heres a post i made about the game on another forum:

Halo PC wasn't even that great of a port it's-self at the time, of course we think it is now because of the failed Halo 2. It was stripped down from the xbox variant, so it could run properly on average PC's 10 years ago. Now this resulted in a loss of some visual appeal (shaders, for example). When Halo 2 was released for PC, all textures had there resolution multiplied by twice the size. Anything different between xbox and PC was better on the PC. I had no problem with the Halo 2 game it's self, other then that excuse of an editing kit(and high system requirements). Although the porters themselves released a video with full editing kit demonstrations, Microsoft didn't like the idea of this (for who knows why), had the Kit stripped, and subsequently destroyed there own game. Otherwise, we'd all be on Halo 2 right now, and OS probably wouldn't exist. If it was totally up to the porters of Halo 2, we'd be set up big time. Hell, half of them joined up on h2vista.net for a while to support the game. They were a good team, and they actually helped me a lot personally when I was trying to make a good looking map.

Ryx
October 26th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Wait, Hired Gun (pretty sure that's who ported it, right?) tried to help the modding community on h2v? I always heard they just ditched the game.

Ki11a_FTW
October 26th, 2012, 10:44 PM
NitrousOxide and Bum has Knife both joined the forums for a good amount of time. However they both bailed for the same reason we all did. Hell, Nitrous went back to making maps for Halo 1.

Zeph
October 27th, 2012, 12:30 AM
Wait, Hired Gun (pretty sure that's who ported it, right?) tried to help the modding community on h2v? I always heard they just ditched the game.
Nitro in particular was on Hired Gun to give them insider info on not only what we wanted, but what we needed for the title to be successful. He did his job, but GFWL said otherwise. They didn't want to break the credibility of gamerscore and the very idea of custom/modded items was the bane of the ToU.

Ki11a_FTW
October 27th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Here, I uploaded this old video of what the HEK was originally supposed to be. Look at the options in sapien, there is way more options than what we have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s26xyvZ4EM&feature=plcp

Zeph
October 27th, 2012, 03:59 AM
I had forgotten all about that. I remember the horribleness of the low quality. In retrospect, it should have been a huge red flag considering what was going on but none of us were prepared for that first look at the gold release of the kit.

DarkHalo003
October 27th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Microsoft was just being too progressive with other stuff. The thing is that they needed to treat Halo 2 PC as a complete exception to their forward marketing because Halo 2 could carry it's own weight, unlike a great number of other games.