PDA

View Full Version : Should There be an Age Law for Energy Drinks?

PopeAK49
November 23rd, 2012, 04:32 AM
Seeing as Energy Drinks are filled with caffeine and other 'potentially' dangerous ingredients, do you think an appropriate age restriction law should be enforced?

Just to be clear: The age group I'm targetting is children under the age of 14.

Patrickssj6
November 23rd, 2012, 04:59 AM
other 'potentially' dangerous ingredients
Am all open ear to what those ingredients are.

If you say sugar then I would say yes. But why not ban all neurostimulants while we are at it.

neuro
November 23rd, 2012, 05:04 AM
no.

please let all these fucking mongrels drink this garbage and throw themselves into oblivion.
if by now you don't know that shit' garbage, then it's natural selection at work baby.

putting a ban on 'stupid shit' is fucking insanity.

i can imagine cigarettes and alcohol, because that's another level of terrible.

Bodzilla
November 23rd, 2012, 05:08 AM
Name me a time when prohibition has ever worked and then you'd have an argument.
Until that time it's user discretion.

That said if you have an energy drink every day or a few times a day your fucking stupid.

Patrickssj6
November 23rd, 2012, 05:12 AM
I just use them to get wasted...e.g. tonight. Gin + 2 Energy = Dance until 7AM. Never use them on a daily basis.

PopeAK49
November 23rd, 2012, 05:20 AM
Am all open ear to what those ingredients are.

If you say sugar then I would say yes. But why not ban all neurostimulants while we are at it.

This isn't about banning, it's about setting an age limit. It just seems like kids under the age of 14 should not be exposed to Energy Drinks. Several have died, and who knows how much of an effect it can have on a teenagers growing body at that age.

ephedrine is something you should look up.

Nothing is dangerously bad about consuming 1 energy drink on a daily basis. It's just the young children and teenagers that I fear would abuse their intake limits.

14 and under is my main concern. I should have clarified this earlier.

Bodzilla
November 23rd, 2012, 05:23 AM
everything is bad about them, They're full of complete garbage.

does age limits stop smoking or drinking? If you say yes, your actually clinically retarded and sorry for your lotz.

EX12693
November 23rd, 2012, 05:32 AM
Nope. Let natural selection do it's thing. It's not like we have an under-population problem.

Patrickssj6
November 23rd, 2012, 05:33 AM
This isn't about banning, it's about setting an age limit. It just seems like kids under the age of 14 should not be exposed to Energy Drinks. Several have died, and who knows how much of an effect it can have on a teenagers growing body at that age.

ephedrine is something you should look up.

Nothing is dangerously bad about consuming 1 energy drink on a daily basis. It's just the young children and teenagers that I fear would abuse their intake limits.

14 and under is my main concern. I should have clarified this earlier.
Ephedrine is banned in Germany. I don't see how posing an age restriction would make anything better about this, the country has to ban the substance altogether.

My problem with this is that it's narrow minded to think that energy drinks are some cause of trouble. How about diabetes?

PopeAK49
November 23rd, 2012, 05:47 AM
Ephedrine is banned in Germany. I don't see how posing an age restriction would make anything better about this, the country has to ban the substance altogether.

My problem with this is that it's narrow minded to think that energy drinks are some cause of trouble. How about diabetes?

My problem is the fact that young children usually don't know anything about taking things in moderation, especially with energy drinks. I'm just doing this as an opinion poll for an easy homework assignment.

Bodzilla
November 23rd, 2012, 05:51 AM
i'm just gonna throw this out there.

it says you joined in 07, did you lurk for a few years before you started posting, because i think i'd remember someone so terrible.

PopeAK49
November 23rd, 2012, 05:54 AM
i'm just gonna throw this out there.

it says you joined in 07, did you lurk for a few years before you started posting, because i think i'd remember someone so terrible.

The troll is impressive with this one.

Bodzilla
November 23rd, 2012, 06:11 AM
i'm not even trolling, i'm pretty sure i would of noticed another dark halo posting years before he joined

(he's alot better now).

Patrickssj6
November 23rd, 2012, 07:08 AM
My problem is the fact that young children usually don't know anything about taking things in moderation, especially with energy drinks. I'm just doing this as an opinion poll for an easy homework assignment.

You could also write on why imposing an age limit is not very effective e.g. legal drinking age (for Beer/Wine) in Germany is 16, in America it is 21. I don't think there are differences in the drinking habit in either country.

If you see Ephedrine as dangerous, then write about why is should be an illegal substance to be included in beverages/food.

=sw=warlord
November 23rd, 2012, 08:37 AM
Instead of banning entire products, how about this, implement actual food quality standards instead of whoring out your consumables to the lowest bidder?
If there's ingredients which are known to be seriously toxic and should not be approved for human consumption then ban the fuck out of its use in products.

Don't say removing the ingredients won't make a difference because last I looked, Coca Cola used to have several milligrams of cocaine in each bottle and it got removed for the same reason above.

Pooky
November 23rd, 2012, 10:13 AM
Guys, I think you're missing the very clear distinction between 'should there be' and 'there should be'. :l

Maybe think about that before jumping down someone's throat?

TVTyrant
November 23rd, 2012, 02:54 PM
The troll is impressive with this one.
Nah, Bod just acts like a real dick sometimes.

PopeAK49
November 23rd, 2012, 03:55 PM
Instead of banning entire products, how about this, implement actual food quality standards instead of whoring out your consumables to the lowest bidder?
If there's ingredients which are known to be seriously toxic and should not be approved for human consumption then ban the fuck out of its use in products.

Don't say removing the ingredients won't make a difference because last I looked, Coca Cola used to have several milligrams of cocaine in each bottle and it got removed for the same reason above.

Good post. Isn't the FDA suppose to be responsible for this kind of stuff? Makes you wonder :)

Guys, I think you're missing the very clear distinction between 'should there be' and 'there should be'. :l

Maybe think about that before jumping down someone's throat?

Which is why I don't know why I'm getting chewed out. I'm just gathering opinions for a school project and writing a paper about the results.

Higuy
November 23rd, 2012, 04:30 PM
I'd say yes, and even at the point, in a perfect world, there would be a way to regulate how many you can drink. Honestly I only drink them every so often but when I do they keep me up forever. Theres also been a guy that works close to where I do, we get soda and stuff from the same soda machine, and he use to drink Monsters at least 4 times a day. He overdosed on caffeine. There good every once and a while but thats about it

Warsaw
November 23rd, 2012, 05:54 PM
Mountain Dew is gross, energy drinks are gross, Sprite is gross, and colas in all varieties except Dr. Pepper are gross.

That said, I say no to an age limit.

DarkHalo003
November 23rd, 2012, 06:15 PM
I say do it just to prove a point that the shit is bad, but make the age level pretty low so teenagers don't act like it's "big stuff" like alcohol. Honestly, parents need to know legit energy drinks are really bad. It always comes down to proper parenting and frankly energy drinks deal a lot more damage than most parents realize.

Btcc22
November 23rd, 2012, 06:41 PM
Their parents should be responsible enough to prevent them from drinking what's bad for them.

Pretty much. If they can't trust them on that, just don't fund their habits. Problem solved.

PopeAK49
November 23rd, 2012, 07:14 PM
Pretty much. If they can't trust them on that, just don't fund their habits. Problem solved.

It's true that parenting can be a factor, but some kids entering the ages of 10 will most likely rebel against their parents ideals. Parents can't prevent their kids from doing things, they can only enforce ideas that they think are bad for the child. If parents had complete control over their child's brain, then yes it can be prevented.

Higuy
November 23rd, 2012, 08:52 PM
Mountain Dew is gross, energy drinks are gross, Sprite is gross, and colas in all varieties except Dr. Pepper are gross.

That said, I say no to an age limit.

"sprite is gross"

you are fucked up and should be ashamed of yourself, sprite is delicious

Warsaw
November 23rd, 2012, 10:41 PM
Sprite tastes about as close to pure corn syrup as you can get. It used to be more lemon-limey.

TVTyrant
November 24th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Sprite tastes about as close to pure corn syrup as you can get. It used to be more lemon-limey.
I am a full corn syrup addict so I enjoy it

How the fuck do you think I can run every day and lift weights all the time and stay fat?

PopeAK49
November 24th, 2012, 01:39 AM
TVTyrant. The Modacity version of Bane, only filled with corn syrup.

TVTyrant
November 24th, 2012, 01:55 AM
TVTyrant. The Modacity version of Bane, only filled with corn syrup.
so true

Ryx
November 24th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Governments shouldn't be regulating shit like energy drinks and pot. People have died from OD'ing on water, big deal. If parents can't control their teens until the teens are old enough to realize impacts things have on their health, they shouldn't bother.

thehoodedsmack
November 24th, 2012, 09:59 AM
That's a misleading statement. Nobody has ever "OD'ed on water". Death by an overfilled bladder can be accomplished with any liquid. If you replace the substance and retain the symptom, it's not that substance's fault. Energy drinks contain ingredients which are demonstrably harmful. Your post suggests a situation where people are aware of those dangers, but the issue at hand has more to do with the kind of situation I've detailed below:

The inverse dilemma, is a situation wherein parents simply don't know the dangers of excessive energy drink consumption, and see no problem with letting their child drink two or three a day. The child's well-being shouldn't be ignored due to the ignorance of the parent.

Prohibition of a substance has never been a successful strategy, so we can ignore that option. If it can be found that there is a stage in child development where energy drink consumption elicits a noticeably adverse effect, then you have a case for an age limitation based on that upper-range. But regardless of whether such a limitation can be implemented, what must be pursued is a public campaign of awareness, so that people do know the harmful effects energy drinks can have on the body.

=sw=warlord
November 24th, 2012, 10:03 AM
That's a misleading statement. Nobody has ever "OD'ed on water".
*AHEM*
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication)you appear to have a knack for using some rather bad statements without first checking up on the facts.

thehoodedsmack
November 24th, 2012, 10:32 AM
*AHEM*
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication)you appear to have a knack for using some rather bad statements without first checking up on the facts.

Water intoxication, also known as water poisoning, also known as dilutional hyponatremia , is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain functions that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside of safe limits (e.g., hyponatremia) by overhydration, i.e., over-consumption of water.

Death by an overfilled bladder can be accomplished with any liquid. If you replace the substance and retain the symptom, it's not that substance's fault.

You don't appear to have a knack for reading comprehension?

Don't even follow this up. You're wrong, everyone can see it, but there's nothing wrong with that. It happens. Let's move on.

=sw=warlord
November 24th, 2012, 10:50 AM
So somehow overdosing on water isn't over dosing on water in your eyes?
alright.

DarkHalo003
November 24th, 2012, 11:16 AM
In comparison, Energy Drinks damage the body quicker and more differently than water. At the same time, trying to drown yourself by drinking water would require ridiculous control over your body's muscles. You'd literally have to hold your bladder until it burst or do nothing except drink gallons water every day. Basically, it'd have to be close to a death wish. Sure it happens on accident, but usually there is a disease behind it causing the compelled need for so much water. The problem with Energy Drinks is that you don't even need to do that to achieve extreme issues with your bladder/body. Really, if you drink Energy Drinks as much as your supposed to drink water per day to be healthy, then you're going to be in serious complications down the road. That is the difference.

rossmum
November 25th, 2012, 05:52 AM
You don't appear to have a knack for reading comprehension?

Don't even follow this up. You're wrong, everyone can see it, but there's nothing wrong with that. It happens. Let's move on.
It is apparently you who needs to brush up on reading comprehension, since throwing out important chemical balances critical to biological function is not even vaguely similar to "death by an overfilled bladder". Your bladder could be empty for all the difference it makes; if you take in too much water, particularly without taking in any salt, you will die.

It is a regularly observable occurrence any time someone is rescued from an environment where they were dehydrated and/or starving and immediately hoes into as much water as they can, as quickly as they can. It was pretty fucking common among concentration camp victims, as was the other side of the coin where they ate themselves to death (at that point even a meagre amount of food by normal standards would do it).

If you are going to make sweeping claims about the dangers of overconsumption (or, as you seem to think, the lack thereof), consider actually doing some quick fact-checking first to ensure you aren't completely fucking wrong.

rossmum
November 25th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Also this thread is stupid since you should be attacking the basic issues of individual ingredients rather than energy drinks specifically. There are a lot more things that are bad for you than energy drinks, and in most of the civilised world, there are some kind of standards to either heavily restrict or totally ban use of them. Apparently though people aren't down with the FDA keepin' a man down. Man, imagine how bad this problem would be without that federal agency to ensure nobody ends up putting carcinogenic plastic by-products into your milk. :allears:

DarkHalo003
November 25th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Also this thread is stupid since you should be attacking the basic issues of individual ingredients rather than energy drinks specifically. There are a lot more things that are bad for you than energy drinks, and in most of the civilised world, there are some kind of standards to either heavily restrict or totally ban use of them. Apparently though people aren't down with the FDA keepin' a man down. Man, imagine how bad this problem would be without that federal agency to ensure nobody ends up putting carcinogenic plastic by-products into your milk. :allears:
Unless you want to make that a part of the thread, that's a-whole-nother issue. For one, corporations in general lie completely when they put most of their stuff on the label for reading. Also, Diet drinks carry an endocrine disruptor that has been proven bad for your health beyond just the regular studies and does not really accomplish its diet function. In reality, just makes you gain more weight. Yet that chemical known as Aspartame continues to exist.

PopeAK49
November 25th, 2012, 04:48 PM

Wow, you really think that I would go that in depth with my topical choice with only 30 seconds to choose a topic? You guys take shit way to seriously when I only needed some basic opinions for a simple paper.

Quit using ignorant words.

Edit: Rossmum, using multiple accounts to vote 'no' is not helping. :realsmug:

sleepy1212
November 26th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Every time I see someone wearing a flat-billed hat with a giant Monster logo on it chugging down an industrial size can of energy drink I secretly hope the ingredients kick in all at once and he runs into traffic. Which brings me to the point:

Why don't we just "ban" the people who drink energy drinks?

Yup, i'm a hater.

dark navi
November 26th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Yes.

edit: wait how do tyou vote

rossmum
November 26th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Edit: Rossmum, using multiple accounts to vote 'no' is not helping. :realsmug:
I didn't vote on any account (protip: as of about three years ago I only have this one).

Every time I see someone wearing a flat-billed hat with a giant Monster logo on it chugging down an industrial size can of energy drink I secretly hope the ingredients kick in all at once and he runs into traffic. Which brings me to the point:

Why don't we just "ban" the people who drink energy drinks?

Yup, i'm a hater.
If we got into the habit of offing people on the basis of their terrible opinions and bad lifestyle choices, I know one bad poster who wouldn't be blindly worshipping Ron Paul on these forums any longer.

Hint: it's you.

PopeAK49
November 26th, 2012, 07:36 PM
If I had a nickle for every time Rossmum said 'terrible' I'd be able to donate to this forum...

DarkHalo003
November 26th, 2012, 07:40 PM
I didn't vote on any account (protip: as of about three years ago I only have this one).

If we got into the habit of offing people on the basis of their terrible opinions and bad lifestyle choices, I know one bad poster who wouldn't be blindly worshipping Ron Paul on these forums any longer.

Hint: it's you.
Watch the forum randomly quit because the Donations were the only thing floating the sight to begin with.

rossmum
November 26th, 2012, 08:30 PM
If I had a nickle for every time Rossmum said 'terrible' I'd be able to donate to this forum...
Unfortunately there's a reason for it, so likewise except with "bad posters" and instead of donate (since I already have, a lot), "move out of this fucking country"

PopeAK49
November 26th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Modacity....Soon to be 8 bit.