PDA

View Full Version : Coming for XP: Halo 2

xExus
May 16th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I just had to post this..http://www.prleap.com/pr/77567/

According to this information, XP users will have the abillity to play Halo 2 on their PC!Sweet!

Siliconmaster
May 16th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Damn- beat me to it by about 2 minutes. Lol. I'm very excited by this- I have a friend with Vista, and I have XP, so I can easily compare to make sure they work the same. Regardless, H2 on XP is awesome on a stick. :P

Yay for friendly companies. :)

Sunray
May 16th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Hmm. I am inclined to agree with jcap (EDIT: but he deleted his post. Great. http://forums.filefront.com/images/smilies/confused1.gif). Not only that but I would like to see them try it with Microsoft's permission. I'm sure that they won't be happy and I would imagine that they will try to put an end to this.

SnaFuBAR
May 16th, 2007, 02:14 PM
this is gonna get squashed so fast. h2 on the pc is their first gfwl launch. no way are they gonna let this happen.

thehoodedsmack
May 16th, 2007, 02:21 PM
They should have kept it quiet until sometime after the launch.

Amit
May 16th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I'm still wondering if this is bullshit.

Chewy Gumball
May 16th, 2007, 02:45 PM
You also have no idea how good performance will be.

PTS
May 16th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Won't believe it til I see it.

Zeph
May 16th, 2007, 04:14 PM
And they plan to get Live working on XP how?

someone
May 16th, 2007, 04:17 PM
No. I don't believe it. Because Bungie, Hired gun and MSG(H2V) said it'll be Vista only. Fasa studios and MSG said it for Shadowrun too, so it's FAKE information.

MereCatfish
May 16th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Strange.

Read their forum, quite a few complaints about them.

MissnL1nK
May 16th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I wouldn't get excited just yet.

My imo: Go buy Vista, you'll need it eventually anyway.

Aklass
May 16th, 2007, 06:06 PM
You also have no idea how good performance will be.
xp is better because it has open gl and vista doesnt

SuperSunny
May 16th, 2007, 06:54 PM
xp is better because it has open gl and vista doesnt

That's so wrong. Halo 2 doesn't even use OpenGL. And Vista has OpenGL.

Aklass
May 16th, 2007, 06:58 PM
pc mag says gaming lag on vista vs xp due to lack of opengl or it just doet support it

Amit
May 16th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Well PC gaming magazine is wrong. Gaming is probably better on Vista. Also has anyone checked out the Lost Planet PC demo? The camera movement sucks, the graphics are amazing though. I downloaded on my other pc too that has a Radeon x1600 pro, the graphics are nice but everything had to be on low settings and the game didnt run very smooth but it still ran decent for a next gen game using old tech

MissnL1nK
May 16th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Gaming on Vista is really nice if you have over 1gb of ram, which most do. Vista is a really good OS imo.

And as far as Vista not having OpenGL, umm wtf are you talking about?

p0lar_bear
May 16th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Dude, OpenGL sucks compared to DirectX.

For comparison, OpenGL graphics are Half-Life, Unreal Tournament, and Quake. DirectX graphics are Half-Life 2, Unreal Tournament 200x, and Halo/Halo 2.

Terry
May 16th, 2007, 08:09 PM

You're joking right?

Hotrod
May 16th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I hope that this is real because, in my opinion, Microsoft/Bungie/Hired Gun made a really bad move in making Halo 2 for Vista only. This will get many more people to buy the game, therefore letting them make more money. Most people won't buy a new OS just for a game. And yes, I know that we will need Vista eventually, but not everybody has the money to buy Vista right now (or the permission).

Aklass
May 16th, 2007, 08:46 PM
i dont need $$for vista i just need high internet speed

Hotrod
May 16th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Wait, why wouldn't you need money for Vista? Are you planning to get it without paying? How bad :fail:.

p0lar_bear
May 16th, 2007, 08:51 PM
By the way, you folks all do know that LIVE is self-contained within the program itself, right?

AAA
May 16th, 2007, 09:02 PM
By the way, you folks all do know that LIVE is self-contained within the program itself, right?

The Vista Program?? or Halo 2 program??

I know it sounds stupid, but the question in my mind was of this Live stuff for the XP.

Roostervier
May 16th, 2007, 09:12 PM
That is why they count on making sales a while after Vista isn't so new anymore. If I just got Vista (assuming I did not already have it) I know I would want something to do on it. What better than to buy a game? Granted, it won't be a huge release hit, but it will make continual sales (unless it really sucks that bad >_>).

p0lar_bear
May 16th, 2007, 09:17 PM
The LIVE dashboard and stuff is self contained within the game, it seems. Unless, of course, the LIVE stuff is all actually DLLs that exist within the windows folder somewhere.

Agamemnon
May 16th, 2007, 10:28 PM
This is where the thread ended, tbh.

someone
May 17th, 2007, 06:45 AM
The LIVE dashboard and stuff is self contained within the game, it seems. Unless, of course, the LIVE stuff is all actually DLLs that exist within the windows folder somewhere.
That's how the GFWL version 1 works. Within the game only. From what I've heard version 2 is going to be accessible outside the games on your desktop. And I think that v2 comes out at the end of this year(check the post from that HG member in the news forums).

WolfenRage
May 17th, 2007, 06:53 AM
That's so wrong. Halo 2 doesn't even use OpenGL. And Vista has OpenGL.

I have Vista and my OpenGL games play like Doom3, Quake4 play like crap now (1-10fps) it has opengl emulation trough directx and it sucks

edit btw, I wish they would have said this early. It could have effected how many people have bought vista

StankBacon
May 17th, 2007, 07:16 AM
its a scam.

Phopojijo
May 17th, 2007, 08:39 AM
xp is better because it has open gl and vista doesntVista has OpenGL o.O Thats what Maya, for instance, uses for its viewport renderer.

Limited
May 17th, 2007, 09:31 AM
In a way I hope its fake. Although it would be cool. If it is real, it will be totally useless in a way.

H2v uses Windows LIVE. Not compatible with XP, it isnt built in with XP, it is with vista. So basically it will be h2v with no working internet part of it which in my eyes is pointless.

By the way, you folks all do know that LIVE is self-contained within the program itself, right?Not the whole system works of LIVE is in the game. Yes the dashboard that VIEWS LIVE is. But the core system of live is incorperated in Vista. So basically games just have part of the LIVE system in them that allows them to connect/use the LIVE system. However it isnt FULL LIVE.

Cortexian
May 17th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Vista doesn't emulate OpenGL, it HAS OpenGL. I can play all my old OpenGL games fine, I can use OpenGL in 3ds max and everything, no lag whatsoever. I think your PC's just suck.

HMReaper
May 17th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Its fake. Getting online to work on Xp would basically be like porting the game to another counsole. by the time they finish doing it they would have spent ALOT of unnessisary money and halo 3 would be out. Dont belive everything u see on the net. and also did u even look at that site...its crap. i wouldent belive it if everyone on the net was saying its true.

Zeph
May 17th, 2007, 12:58 PM

Yeah, there are Vista only DLLs and such for Live.

bcrt2000
May 17th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Have you guys heard of a company called Transgaming? They have a program called Cedega which runs Windows games on Linux.

example: http://www.transgaming.com/images/transgaming/screenshots/cedega60/bf_01.jpg

Falling Leaf is working on something like that, but basically they are working on running Vista exclusive games on XP.

Its possible, the question is whether Falling Leaf has the resources to actually pull this off. They already have some tech demos running some DX10 stuff in Windows XP on their website.

Knight
May 17th, 2007, 07:00 PM
And probaly Microsoft will sue the hell out of them..

I think its a bad idea to port it over to XP anyways...

AAA
May 17th, 2007, 07:14 PM
its a scam.

for some reason, I kinda hope so........=/

Agamemnon
May 17th, 2007, 07:14 PM
repeat of what has already been said
You're not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, are you?

Edward Elrich
May 17th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Wait, they're trying to make you buy something that, for all purposes, is a Windows Vista emulator for XP. Microsoft allow someone to make an emulator for the games they're using to promote Vista (and LIVE)? And selling it for money? I think not. (oh, I can't wait to see what Microsoft does about this...)
This is also assuming that Windows XP can use the emulator. I thought emulators were used to let you use programs that worked on an OLDER version of software/hardware. What company in their right mind would actually let you legally use an emulator for a new piece of software. (I stress legally, because some people don't care what's legal and what's not. I'm not referring to anyone here, of course. What CMT is doing isn't illegal, they're using HCE for exactally the purpose it was intended. Kickass custom maps)

bcrt2000
May 17th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Wait, they're trying to make you buy something that, for all purposes, is a Windows Vista emulator for XP. Microsoft allow someone to make an emulator for the games they're using to promote Vista (and LIVE)? And selling it for money? I think not. (oh, I can't wait to see what Microsoft does about this...)

Well, like I said before, Transgaming is already selling a windows compatibility layer for linux, and that project has been going on for years (and yes, MS knows about it), so I don't see why they'd start suing now.

bcrt2000
May 17th, 2007, 08:30 PM
You're not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, are you?

Most people who are shooting down this idea in this thread are saying its not feasible. I was just reinforcing that it was (with some hard evidence).

p0lar_bear
May 17th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Personally, I don't care what happens. If it does happen, hooray. If it doesn't happen, then oh well. If these guys get wtfpwned by Microsoft, then oh well + lol.

WolfenRage
May 18th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Vista doesn't emulate OpenGL, it HAS OpenGL. I can play all my old OpenGL games fine, I can use OpenGL in 3ds max and everything, no lag whatsoever. I think your PC's just suck.

My Computer played OpenGL perfectly before my upgrade to Vista
its just ATI hasn't released any drivers for it yet

bcrt2000
May 18th, 2007, 01:02 PM
My Computer played OpenGL perfectly before my upgrade to Vista
its just ATI hasn't released any drivers for it yet

Before I upgraded my video card I had the same problem with my GeForce 3. I think Nvidia stopped supporting all video cards that can't support Aero Glass in Vista. While I could run games in Vista (with the default driver), Open GL performance was terrible because Nvidia didn't release any drivers with Open GL support for older cards. Perhaps ATI is doing something similar.

WolfenRage
May 18th, 2007, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't worry. Both ATI and Nvidia will release drivers for Vista. It just they are taking such a long time. I speculate that Nvidia will update first. It shouldn't be a future problem with newer games Im 99% sure all new games will be Directx except games that are developed by ID software

Ive turned my Aero effects off cause they just take up more resources (improved opengl games a little too, still sucks though)
I suggest reading The tweak guide companion for vista (http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html)

Agamemnon
May 18th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Most people who are shooting down this idea in this thread are saying its not feasible. I was just reinforcing that it was (with some hard evidence).
Yes, I bet Microsoft with its Vista-authentication Live system software wouldn't pick up if you weren't running Vista.

demonmaster3k
May 18th, 2007, 03:49 PM
example: http://www.transgaming.com/images/transgaming/screenshots/cedega60/bf_01.jpg

ooohhhh BF2142 that game rox (i just don't have the hardware to play it)

Patrickssj6
May 20th, 2007, 06:49 PM
korn hacks: *announcer voice* circumcised! Round over.

Short summary of what Korn told me:

Sapien & H2V both use various APIs (ie, Vista Game Explorer APIs) which are restricted to Vista only.They are part of the Vista DirectX system whose files don't run on Windows XP.He said unless you emulate DirectX for XP this won't be possible.

ShadowCloud
May 20th, 2007, 09:28 PM
I think the Live is made within the game.

Xegrot
May 20th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I think the Live is made within the game.

Off topic by a little, are we?

Hotrod
May 20th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Not really, he was saying that Live was made withing Halo 2 Vista and Live is only compatible with Vista. Therefore he was saying that to make Halo 2 Vista MP compatible with XP, they would have to figure out a way to make Live work on XP as well.

Xegrot
May 20th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Not really, he was saying that Live was made withing Halo 2 Vista and Live is only compatible with Vista. Therefore he was saying that to make Halo 2 Vista MP compatible with XP, they would have to figure out a way to make Live work on XP as well.

Ahhh, I had the feeling I was missing something...