PDA

View Full Version : Do the dedicated server files come with the game?

Dahaloman
May 19th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Or will they be released at a seperate time? Also, is a gold account required to host a normal online game? Thanks. :) (Plan on picking this up tomorrow)

{XF}Lowsy
May 19th, 2007, 07:31 AM
The dedicated server files are right on the game disc. Check out the readme (posted in this section).

Also, you only need a silver Live account for each instance you want to create of the dedicated server. Keep in mind that the 'gamertag' you setup will actually be the server name as it'll be listed within the live system.

Now, where I'm gray is if you want to temporarily want to host a game from your local PC. That may require a gold account. Do some more reading on this. There's plenty of threads that can be searched.

Hope that helps.

kungpow
May 19th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Is it true that if i host a dedicated server on my pc i wont be able to play on that server?

someone
May 19th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Not quite. If you host a dedicated server with a gold account, you can play on that server on the same PC with the same gold account that you're using to host that server.
If you host a dedicated server with a Sliver account, you can't play on it on the same PC where it's running. You then need to login with another Silver account on another PC in order to play on that server:)

kungpow
May 19th, 2007, 09:17 AM
i thought the xbox live accunts were linked to the games CD key so to join with a silver account ill need another copy of the game? :S

someone
May 19th, 2007, 10:34 AM
You don't need another copy of the game to install on a second computer. You can install the game using the same serial key twice(the same copy of the game installed on two different PCs).
And your product key isn't linked with your account. You only need it to install the game and set up a dedicated server.

kungpow
May 19th, 2007, 11:20 AM
but does that mean somone could go buy halo 2 vista give it to a friend to install etc.. with the same cdkey and it would effect weather or not they can logon?

«TUI» HenTz
May 19th, 2007, 11:53 AM
But they cannot be on same server or at same time online or something like that.

dlongley
May 23rd, 2007, 02:16 PM
But they cannot be on same server or at same time online or something like that.

You can use the same key on a bunch of servers at the same time. You just need unique silver accounts to sign into Live at the same time.