PDA

View Full Version : How to install the Dedi server on a remote server

{XF}Lowsy
May 19th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Well I wish I had the answer to this. My clan will be setting up the Dedi server on 'rented' servers that are out on the internet somewhere. So just looking over the readme it doesn't describe how to install on those remote servers.

Looks like the software is on the H2V disc, but do we need to upload the whole disc to the server just to get the Dedi software installed.

Any ideas?
Are you aussie's trying this?

Chromide
May 21st, 2007, 09:06 AM
From what I heard(from my clan forums) we already have a server set up....lol....we also use a rented server...If you stop by our ts I'm sure Abz or Knome would be happy to explain how they did it.

You can get the ts ip from out site at http://www.thebcclan.com

i take that back....they are still working on getting it up

{XF}Lowsy
May 21st, 2007, 10:35 PM
Anyway, uploading files now. Will be trying the install sometime tomorrow..

Good luck with yours.

dlongley
May 23rd, 2007, 02:22 PM
Anyway, uploading files now. Will be trying the install sometime tomorrow..

Good luck with yours.

You'll need to manually install the "LIVE gaming on Windows Runtime". The LIVE gaming runtime has an MSI on the DVD. You can just copy that over and run it on the server. After that just copy over all the other server files the way the installer would.

{XF}Lowsy
May 23rd, 2007, 04:34 PM
Ok found the MSI (a file name would have been nice mr expert) in the Redist folder. Ran that. But can't find the service listed with all the other 'services' that the computer has.

So can you also provide an appropriate service name that we should look for.

Thanks

dlongley
May 23rd, 2007, 05:31 PM
Ok found the MSI (a file name would have been nice mr expert) in the Redist folder. Ran that. But can't find the service listed with all the other 'services' that the computer has.

So can you also provide an appropriate service name that we should look for.

Thanks

After you install the runtime and copy the files over, you need to create the service using a separate command.

h2server -createservice -live

That'll tell you the service name, e.g. "Halo 2 Dedicated Server". The default short name for the service is "h2server" so you can run commands like "net start h2server" from the command prompt.

Creating a service also creates a new Windows user on the box to run the server. It'll tell you the name of the service account too. Last but not least, it'll create a security group called "Halo 2 Dedicated Server Administrators" and add the current Windows user (you) to the group. You can add/remove other accounts to that security group; that controls who can use h2admin to connect to the server once it's running. Windows won't recognize that you're in that group until you log off and back on.

{XF}Lowsy
May 23rd, 2007, 05:36 PM
You'll need to manually install the "LIVE gaming on Windows Runtime". The LIVE gaming runtime has an MSI on the DVD. You can just copy that over and run it on the server. After that just copy over all the other server files the way the installer would.

I have the h2Server service running just fine. And I can H2ADMIN just fine. It just can't connect to Live, even though it's been setup with the Live account(email) and password. It trys to login, but can't. It also retries to connect., but won't ever be connected.

So, by your statement above, shouldn't we see another service running on the server that handles the LIVE stuff?

dlongley
May 23rd, 2007, 06:06 PM
So, by your statement above, shouldn't we see another service running on the server that handles the LIVE stuff?

Nope, just one service. The "Halo 2 Dedicated Server" service handles all of the LIVE stuff in addition to running the game server.

Have you got UDP port 3074 open to the Internet on your server's firewall?

{XF} Doc
May 23rd, 2007, 06:22 PM
Hey dlongley, glad to see we're getting some quality suggestions in here! As for your question I've gone as far as to turn the firewall off all together so I know a blocked port isn't an issue on the server side, I've also gotten with our server provider (liquid web) and they have assured me that they are not blocking any traffic coming to our box or leaving our box. Our H2server service is indeed running, and I've updated the latest patch (5-22) that MS has on their official website.

{XF}Lowsy
May 23rd, 2007, 06:23 PM
Our rented box is sitting behind no firewall or blocked ports. Also, there is no 'home router' situation with us. However, we are going to verify all of this info with our server people.

we'll keep trying I guess one day it'll just connect. Then we can all blame the LIVE people. lol

dlongley
May 23rd, 2007, 07:05 PM
Our rented box is sitting behind no firewall or blocked ports. Also, there is no 'home router' situation with us. However, we are going to verify all of this info with our server people.

we'll keep trying I guess one day it'll just connect. Then we can all blame the LIVE people. lol

Wouldn't hurt to check if the server's got more than one NIC. With multiple NICs the server app doesn't always pick the right one. If that's the case, try disabling all but the NIC you want the server to use, then cycle the service.

Also, FWIW, try stopping the service and see if you can get the server to run as a console app at all -- just run "h2server -live" directly from the console.