PDA

View Full Version : Why did they have to mess with Mouse/Keyboard?

PTS
May 23rd, 2007, 10:41 AM
One of the main selling points to Halo 2 Vista at least to me was the ability to use your Mouse and Keyboard in this FPS. I had no intention of using the 360 pad. Why would I? If I wanted to use a XBOX controller on Halo I would of just bought it on the XBOX......probably would of saved me some money too.

Point is Halo 2 Vista feels like unlike any other First Person Shooter on the PC. It FEELS like a console game, even with a Mouse and Keyboard. They made it as a console game and are now selling it like a console game.

Have any of you tried the gamepad and then tried the M/K? Heres a hint, one feels sluggish and the other has autoaim.

How could you do this Bungie/Hired Gun?!?

Most of the time you will be able to tell the difference between a 360 controller player and a M/K player by just looking at the scoreboard.

WolfenRage
May 23rd, 2007, 10:48 AM
Does the game allow you to turn the sensitivity up for the mouse?

stunt_man
May 23rd, 2007, 10:51 AM
Do you mean sluggish movement? Or aiming with the mouse? Because I think I found the source of the problem. When Halo 1 was ported to PC, they removed the ability to 'walk.' In Xbox, you could push a little on the thumbstick and move slowly forward. Halo 1 PC didn't have very good gamepad support.

In Halo 2 Vista, they didn't remove the ability to walk, because they know people are going to be using gamepads, as well. Try tapping forward quickly, see if you can walk like that. All they really have to do is remove walking support for the keyboard, and keep it there for the gamepad. Make it so that when you hit forward, the PC doesn't recognize it as a baby step, but a whole step, if you see what I mean.

I really hope they release a patch that fixes all the issues I've been seeing around - I was really looking forward to H2V.

MastaCheefa
May 23rd, 2007, 11:01 AM
I feel your pain PTS. Especially when driving vehicles. I have my mouse sensitivity turned up to 10, which feels like 3 on haloce, and is impossible to drive the hog properly. I really hope someone can eventually halo1ify the vehicles.

stunt_man
May 23rd, 2007, 11:14 AM
they should of done it like Half Life 2 they used the "Shift" key for running, which I like using for running.Yes! Seriously, what happened to run/walk keys in PC games?

jstatz, I know you're there! C'mon, lol make a patch! Single handed! It'll take ten minutes!

jk

SMASH
May 23rd, 2007, 11:31 AM
I'm going to buy a gamepad just cause of the crapyness of the k/m. It's so difficult to use and it so choppy. I blamed my crappy mouse at first but then I saw this and decided it would be better to switch over to a gamepad + the fact that you can use your Mic with the gamepad.

blank98
May 23rd, 2007, 11:39 AM
I don't get it, what's so bad about useing mouse and keyboard? other then driving vehicles.

SMASH
May 23rd, 2007, 11:42 AM
It's choppy, slow, hard to keep track of buttons (I played for 5 hours straight and I kept getting the reload button mixed with the melee button), restricting mouse movement room, ect.You need the sensitivity on INSANE in order for it to even be usable.

ejburke
May 23rd, 2007, 11:43 AM
Can you assign left and right "turn" keys? That might help with the vehicles if it's possible.

I don't have the game yet, but I've heard rumblings that this was the case with m/kb. It's just... sad. You'd think Hired Gun had never played a PC shooter before. Or they knew what they were doing and were ensuring that controller users would have an unnaturally "level" playing field at our expense.

I can't really get mad about it, though. At this point, I'm just numb to the mounting disappointment.

Scooby Doo
May 23rd, 2007, 11:46 AM
omfg! i totally agree. i have my mouse on 10(highest) and it's SOOOOO sluggish and slow. driving has become a mix of missed turns and wall-crashing. i honestly believe they did it to make people spend money on the controllers. it's BS.

the only way around the driving problem so far is turning about 20ft before the turn and hitting the e-brake. oh, and has anyone had trouble making the banshee do it's lil tricks? it's so hard for me...

~Scoob

SMASH
May 23rd, 2007, 11:55 AM
Yea, it's a very hard button combo. It's really gay.

kilogic
May 23rd, 2007, 11:57 AM
I can't really get mad about it, though. At this point, I'm just numb to the mounting disappointment.
I wish I was. I had such high hopes. I thought that with the way H:PC came out and the fact that this would be Vista only they would have fine tuned this thing to be a contender. I didn't mind the delays because if they were willing to delay it they were probably fine tuning it. Guess not. This game feels way too much like a port.

They should have realized that instead of going the rout of "Lets spend less money and try and use every bit of code and resources from the xbox version" They would have made more money recoding controls and optimizing, in turn selling a ton of copys of vista along with the game.

DOMINATOR
May 23rd, 2007, 11:58 AM
can't you change the commands to whatever keys you want? like all other PC games.

SMASH
May 23rd, 2007, 12:03 PM
can't you change the commands to whatever keys you want? like all other PC games.

You can, but there are so many buttons that some are going to be inconvinient. For me, the melee button is "F", and my reflexes hit "R" a lot, which is actually reload. I don't want to switch them either because I have to reload fast at times. You'll see when you get it.

Cortexian
May 23rd, 2007, 12:14 PM
I have a control scheme I use on all FPS's I'm useless without changing my controls first, H2V will have to change for me.

As for your sluggish mouse problems, buy a 1600 DPS (or higher) gaming mouse. I suggest the Logitech MX 518, it has adjustable DPS, 500 - 800 - 1600, or install the software and set your own levels.

MastaCheefa
May 23rd, 2007, 12:18 PM
i honestly believe they did it to make people spend money on the controllers.

~Scoob

Im with you on that one. Also they made the in game text box pretty horrific that for the first time ever I was contemplating getting a mic. Say you map your chat key to 'T' like in haloce. When you go to type if you hit the 'T' key the chat window goes away. So you have to hit T again to bring the chatbox back up and finish typing. In the heat of a game this can get pretty annoying. Not to mention the chat window is quite hard on my eyes and all text is one bland color. Though I do love the added emoticons.

jonesy827
May 23rd, 2007, 12:37 PM
I have a control scheme I use on all FPS's I'm useless without changing my controls first, H2V will have to change for me.

As for your sluggish mouse problems, buy a 1600 DPS (or higher) gaming mouse. I suggest the Logitech MX 518, it has adjustable DPS, 500 - 800 - 1600, or install the software and set your own levels.

Agreed. I've been using my MX518 and it feels just like halo pc and ce...

MastaCheefa
May 23rd, 2007, 12:39 PM
orly? Maybe Ill invest in a gaming mouse. So, jonesy, vehicles drive smoothe and effortlessly for you?

p0lar_bear
May 23rd, 2007, 12:45 PM
I prefer my ball mouse. I've had nothing but bad experiences with optical mice, and on top of that, I don't feel the need to purchase expensive gamer equpiment because, put quite frankly, I'm not a gamer. I don't buy into the whole shelling out tons of money to have a good time.

Why is it that the casual player and modder always gets shafted?

soccerbummer1104
May 23rd, 2007, 12:52 PM
same here, the gaming mouse pwns. i have a razer copperhead, which is cheapest at circuit city (most of em even have em in stock) but make sure you do in store pick up form online, it gets you $15 off i think. its also ambidextrous for all you lefties out there :). A good gaming mouse truly helps in general computer work, gaming, and 3d modeling and design work. Mine i can change from 400-800-1600-2000 dpi.. i think.. and it also has memory on it so i can store gaming profiles on the mouse. Gaming laser mice are also super accurate, and the adjustable dpi settings on the fly, means you can instantly change your mouse sensitivity in game, making it fast for general walking, and slower for precision sniping. i recommend them very much. the top picks of all the mice in performance are the razer copperhead, and the logitech G15 i think (or whatever there top end gaming mouse is)

Pooky
May 23rd, 2007, 12:55 PM
http://www.logitech.com/lang/images/0/12668.jpg
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/CA/EN,CRID=2464,CONTENTID=10716

DTS 7.1
May 23rd, 2007, 01:03 PM
The mappable buttons are a bit overly done. For instance there are about 4 different vehicle mappings when you only need 1. I mean, did you really need seperate functions for entering an exiting a vehicle?

spidoman
May 23rd, 2007, 01:06 PM
I haven't had any problems with poor M/KB controls. Using a normal wireless logitech keyboard with a G5 mouse. I'd suggest the G5 over the G7 unless you must have wireless. But yeah, I have yet to notice any controller issues with being sluggish or poor. Except it's taken me a while to get used to tab being grenades and not switch weapon (although it is faster the new way)

kilogic
May 23rd, 2007, 01:12 PM
wow. I didnt know they still sell ball mice. I had a ball mouse when I first started my job a year ago and after a month I got an optical one. Even for casual use ball mice drive me crazy.

Optical mice are under $20 its not that much money.

HMReaper
May 23rd, 2007, 01:26 PM
this game is full of problems. u can defenatly tell that it was a counsole game. unlike haloce where it felt like it was ment for a M/K. plus i havent even been able to download the update yet because it says i have connection problems (by the way ive heard u can get it off the net is it on the bungie website? or what?) so i cant log into my current 360 live account. the defult control setup blows. the map maker is all screwed up. theres no widescreen support as of yet. and the list goes on and on and on

kilogic
May 23rd, 2007, 01:30 PM
this game is full of problems. u can defenatly tell that it was a counsole game. unlike haloce where it felt like it was ment for a M/K. plus i havent even been able to download the update yet because it says i have connection problems (by the way ive heard u can get it off the net is it on the bungie website? or what?) so i cant log into my current 360 live account. the defult control setup blows. the map maker is all screwed up. theres no widescreen support as of yet. and the list goes on and on and on
The patch is available at microsoft.com/games/halo2.

Widescreen is supported just doesnt have common options. I switch my screen between 1650x1080 and 1280x720.

p0lar_bear
May 23rd, 2007, 01:30 PM
wow. I didnt know they still sell ball mice. I had a ball mouse when I first started my job a year ago and after a month I got an optical one. Even for casual use ball mice drive me crazy.

Optical mice are under $20 its not that much money.

My ball mouse is the one that came with my Dell. It works fine for me, and I have no issues with it whatsoever. I prefer my 2-button and scrollwheel ball mouse over most others.

<3 my ball mouse. :3

kilogic
May 23rd, 2007, 01:34 PM
I had the same one at work. Some people at work have got the dell optical and have had some problems, my boss got me a standard microsoft optical and it has worked great. I use CAD so im on the mouse all day those "jumps" ball mice get when they get dirty drive me crazy!

TheGhost
May 23rd, 2007, 02:20 PM
I re-assigned the controls and sensitivity to make it feel exactly like HaloPC. I don't know what you guys are complaining about.

rec0
May 23rd, 2007, 02:21 PM
I heard they drop the mouse sensitivity when you're driving the warthog - is that right? Sounds crazy.

DTS 7.1
May 23rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
I re-assigned the controls and sensitivity to make it feel exactly like HaloPC. I don't know what you guys are complaining about.

What settings is that Ghosty?

Dadealus
June 7th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I had trouble with mouse settings in this game also. I turned it right up to 10 and it was still very sluggish to look around, and almost impossible to drive a vehicle. I'm using an nvidia card and I got it to work a lot better by forcing vsync on in the nvidia control panel just on halo 2. This made the look sensitivity a lot better, although it still seems a bit too slow when driving vehicles. Hopefully there will be a patch to resolve this eventually.

Aeron
June 7th, 2007, 11:25 AM
dunno if uve seen the vid with the jumpy mouse,

but mines the same as that, almost impossible to use, ive got logitech mx revolution.

Checkmate
June 7th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Multiplayer or single player? I played though the game on normal/heroic without changing any settings (with mouse/keyboard) and didn't have any problems. Havn't really played much multiplayer, WoW sucked me back in. =(

Beckon
June 10th, 2007, 06:58 PM
This is what I did to get best performance:

1. Run the CPL Mouse fix. This disables acceleration in windows XP and above I've noticed it being smoother after running this.. (Here (http://www.mabans.com/downloads/cplmousefix.zip))

2. I make sure my stock settings in vista for mouse speed is centered and enhanced point precision is enabled.

3. I have a Logitech G5 and these are the settings I have for HALO.

800 (Sniping)
1250 (General Purpose)
2000 (Driving or gunner position)

Hope that helps..

Zemious
June 10th, 2007, 08:19 PM
I heard they drop the mouse sensitivity when you're driving the warthog - is that right? Sounds crazy.
I don't think thats true.

Syuusuke
June 10th, 2007, 09:28 PM
You don't think it's true?

It is true D:

I decided to be retarded and changed the Move Forward key to Mouse Up (from the Look Up part of the control settings) I kept pushing my mouse up and surely enough, it looked like I was walking...

jahrain
June 11th, 2007, 02:56 AM
Whats very sad news is that the autoaim thats enabled for xbox360 controllers can be hacked to work for the keyboard/mouse without using any hax at all. It even requires less work/hacks than unlocking the full campaign mode in free trial mode. This is very sad indeed. :(

Kalub
June 11th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Its pretty ghetto too...

:saddowns:

DaneO'Roo
June 11th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Whats very sad news is that the autoaim thats enabled for xbox360 controllers can be hacked to work for the keyboard/mouse without using any hax at all. It even requires less work/hacks than unlocking the full campaign mode in free trial mode. This is very sad indeed. :(

ok, what the fuck. I think there needs to be made a thread listing all the problems that are wrong with Halo 2 Vista, so anyone from Hired Gun or PI can fix them.

MereCatfish
June 11th, 2007, 11:09 AM
I'm going to buy a gamepad just cause of the crapyness of the k/m.

And that, right there, is exactly why the game has this issue.

Digikid
June 11th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I doubt that HG even CARES anymore....notice that Nitro has not said anything in the topics that have to do with the bugs in H2V?

InnerGoat
June 11th, 2007, 12:50 PM

Wouldn't simply having the controller plugged in enable it? :smithicide:

Snowy
June 11th, 2007, 01:25 PM

No, you have to be moving, or be pressing down a button....

jahrain
June 11th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Yes, but not entirely, and having a girlfriend helps as well. If you knew how to it, you would know why.:suicide:

m13120
June 11th, 2007, 04:42 PM

gg use left hand to move, right hand to aim, it does auto aim while you're using the mouse, but it makes it VERY VERY hard to play since you cannot jump, melee, switch weapon, or reload (unless your clip is empty).

jahrain
June 11th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Its so obvious what you would have to do if you want to use the keyboard and mouse but still have autoaim with the controller simply plugged in. :X

InnerGoat
June 11th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Yes, but not entirely, and having a girlfriend helps as well. If you knew how to it, you would know why.:suicide:She died of cancer.

jahrain
June 11th, 2007, 05:21 PM
No. Unless your a girlyman, she might have something that you need to use to do it.

DaneO'Roo
June 11th, 2007, 06:18 PM
lmfao, are you serious? IT's THAT EASY?

I thought game studios were supposed to be professionial? This is noobier than halomods for fuck sake.

jahrain
June 11th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Your mom could probably do it.