PDA

View Full Version : Video Cards Help

armoman92
May 24th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Can someone please tell me what turbocache is and if it helps or not. I have an Nvidia 7400 go with turbocache but I also have 2 GB of ram. Does TC run off ram or something and can my video card run H2V?? I know I posted earlier but can someone please write a good description of how like video cards work and what turbocache does. Also is the Direct X diadnostic too accurate as in how much video ram your card has.:confused::confused2::mad::eek:

Varmint260
May 24th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I believe TurboCache means the card does not have all the RAM it uses on-board. So yes, it will steal from your computer's 2gb. Hopefully you have enough RAM that it won't make a huge difference. As for your card running H2V, I would expect that it will, but being that it's on the lower end of the 7000 series, I wouldn't expect mind-blowing graphics. As for how video cards work, someone else will have to explain that, as I have no idea how to give a good technical explanation... hope this info helps!

Amit
May 24th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I would post something but I'm too lazy, sorry. Also what is the point of your poll?

Flyboy
May 24th, 2007, 09:56 PM
You can't trust anyone on this matter. I've scene people with nearly the same specs give totally different opinions on visuals and fps. The only way for you to judge it, is to do it yourself.

Mr Buckshot
May 24th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Turbocache is a new technology that only works on PCI express because of the way that slot is connected in the motherboard. Turbocache allows Nvidia cards to supplement their video memory by stealing memory from main RAM, much like an integrated card would, but with a dedicated GPU powering the card. So a Nvidia Geforce Go 7400 with 64 MB of its own memory would steal 192 MB from the main system RAM to make 256 MB.

ATI has a similar technology called Hypermemory, but Turbocache owns Hypermemory because Hypermemory is done entirely in software and thus is much slower. However, using Turbocache isn't recommended, because main system RAM is much slower than dedicated video memory.

How much dedicated memory does your video card have? If it has at least 128 MB, you don't need to enable Turbocache. If you have 64 MB or less, then enabling Turbocache is highly recommended despite its drawbacks.

Flyboy
May 25th, 2007, 05:14 AM
I have a 7600gt (one of the hire end models). Yet I hear I can still only do medium on h2v with that. So lets say I use Turbocache to kick it up to 512, how would that effect my performance?

armoman92
May 25th, 2007, 05:38 AM
Thanks alot, but how do i enable/disable turbocache?

Chromide
May 25th, 2007, 06:47 AM
I just had to vote for both ;) since thats what I have

Cortexian
May 25th, 2007, 12:15 PM
I would post something but I'm too lazy, sorry. Also what is the point of your poll?
Unless you have anything worthwhile to post, please refrain from making comments on the forums. From the posts I've seen you make, all you seem to do is act the "tough guy" who pretends to know things to act cool.

As for Turbo Cache, the only way to turn it off is probably in your Nvidia Control Panel.

X3RO SHIF7
May 27th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I have a 7600gt (one of the hire end models). Yet I hear I can still only do medium on h2v with that. So lets say I use Turbocache to kick it up to 512, how would that effect my performance?
... its "Higher" and no a 7600 is not a "higher" end video card its a mid range video card. And i Believe only specific models use turbocache so chances are your video card doesent support it, but i could be wrong

InnerGoat
May 27th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I don't think i've seen turbocache on a 7600GT, seeing as they come in 512mb versions and all..