PDA

View Full Version : Auto CAD compatibility with the H2Vek and a few Questions

augie_doggy
May 24th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Just like the title states, are there/are people working on an exporter to go directly from Auto CAD into level geometry, or will one have to export to Gmax, 3ds Max, or Maya first? (I would assume it would be the latter, because Auto CAD doesn't have the same type of texturing capabilities-but I wanted to make sure).

I just want to know all of this so that I can create a list of what to buy. I've got a PC build in progress, and I plan on purchasing student versions of Autodesk software. What sites do you guys recommend for buying student versions? (And before someone says it: I know what a torrent is, but I also realize that piracy is illegal. That's why it's called piracy.)

What scared me from Halo PC modding was the expense, but a part time job will do the trick :).

Oh, and one more question: does the H2Vek have better error checking, or is it still a pain to fix a map if you didn't do it perfectly the first time?

Phopojijo
May 24th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Gmax and Maya are not supported, only Max8.

That being said, the entire file format (less just a couple of key details) are published. So its to be expected someone will write a plugin or Melscript. No current status on Autocad though.

And yes, we like to not mention torrents here either.

klange
May 25th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Max8.
I do believe it's Max 7, but yeah, they use the same DLI format, so yeah, things should be fine there...