PDA

View Full Version : 3Ds symbols?

Llama Juice
May 26th, 2007, 07:57 PM
I looked through the help file and couldn't find a list of the different symbols you add into the names of stuff in 3ds max to make it behave differently in game in Halo 2

I saw that somebody posted the % one for instancing.... but what about others?... What else is there? is ^ still for the ladders?

solofortne
May 26th, 2007, 08:24 PM
I don't believe halo 2 has ladders, they've been replaced with jumpjets. As for the rest of the symbols, open the help file and search for "materials overview." Scroll down toward the bottom and you'll find a list of them all.

edit: nevermind I guess you can still create ladders but as far as I know, no maps have used them.

Phopojijo
May 26th, 2007, 08:27 PM
From the documentation: Materials Overview:

% -- Two sided
# -- One-sided transparent
? -- Two-sided transparent
! -- Render only
@ -- collision only
* -- Sphere collision only
$ -- Fog plane
^ -- Ladder
- -- Breakable
& -- AI deafening (for SP-only portal which lets you be as loud as you want on one side but the AI on the other are oblivious)
= -- No shadows
. -- Casts shadow, but isn't visible.
; -- Emits light in lightmap but otherwise isn't there.
) -- Precise "not be fiddled with on BSP pass"
> -- Conveyor Belt
< -- 1 way portal
| -- Door portal, attached to device machine state
~ -- Portal (Portal visibility is completely blocked)
( -- Dislikes photons
{ -- Ignored by lightmapper (not add it to raytracing)
} -- Portal which blocks sound -- like AI deafening by for players too.
[ -- Decal offset "Offsets the faces that this material is applied to as it would normally for a decal"

Lightning
May 26th, 2007, 10:47 PM
I don't believe halo 2 has ladders, they've been replaced with jumpjets. As for the rest of the symbols, open the help file and search for "materials overview." Scroll down toward the bottom and you'll find a list of them all.

edit: nevermind I guess you can still create ladders but as far as I know, no maps have used them.

There is a ladder in Cairo.

Kiwibird
May 26th, 2007, 11:49 PM

There is a ladder in Headlong.

Reaper Man
May 26th, 2007, 11:53 PM
There's a ladder in waterworks.

Llama Juice
May 27th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the help Phopojijo!

Kornman00
May 27th, 2007, 12:59 AM
don't forget battle creek or w/e its called....

Llama Juice
May 27th, 2007, 01:10 AM
That was in Halo 1 silly Kornman... Beaver Creek in H2 has ramps instead of ladders

the1
May 27th, 2007, 01:54 AM
told you h2 used raytrace in rendering :P
but no. nobody ever beleaves me. just cause i can tell by the way h2 renders with water >_> lolz
and when the person said it wouldn't be as complex as what max uses to render over a period of minutes for 1 image they were also right.

meh i really couldn't care until i get h2v. conveyer belt is a good 1 to know though :P

Phopojijo
May 27th, 2007, 02:04 AM
told you h2 used raytrace in rendering :P
but no. nobody ever beleaves me. just cause i can tell by the way h2 renders with water >_> lolz
and when the person said it wouldn't be as complex as what max uses to render over a period of minutes for 1 image they were also right.

meh i really couldn't care until i get h2v. conveyer belt is a good 1 to know though :PEr, I believe the raytracing refers to Radiosity.

Kornman00
May 27th, 2007, 02:48 AM
That was in Halo 1 silly Kornman... Beaver Creek in H2 has ramps instead of ladders
not my fault bungie likes to change things every time they want to add something old to something new :-3

Dootuz
May 27th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Theres 1 ladder in headlong

lazer_kittie504
May 27th, 2007, 07:43 PM

yes there is on headlong were the broken bridge is u ranp off so it looks like yo uare at a big door/gate and its pretty much a sniping spot, so when u go up there its a good hiding spot.