PDA

View Full Version : BitTorrent

dg
October 29th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Does anyone else think that BitTorrent is actually a genius idea? I personally love it when developers release their work via BT. It's fast, easy, and extremely mobile. They are even starting to make routers with BitTorrent on an HDD so you can download things without even having your computer on!

I use µTorrent as a client because it doesn't hog up your memory like Azureus.

Remember, what you do with your torrents is your business. Illegal, legal, it doesn't matter. Don't be posting anything retarded here about how the new Deviance release is really slow or anything. I don't want to anger TheGhost by breaking rules.

Please post your comments, what you use, etc.

~dg945~

Random
October 29th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Yah bit torrent is real nice, I use it to dl Linux distros and stuff, and it takes only a fraction of the time it would with a regular dl

Emmzee
October 29th, 2006, 02:12 PM
It's a genius idea, but it's used to a malicious extent. Like just about everything. I got FEAR Combat off of it, and it went from 0% to 100% in like 5 hours, way less time than if I had used Filefront or Fileshack.

PlasbianX
October 29th, 2006, 02:15 PM
i dont like torrents. EVER. I get an average download speed of 3 bytes/seconds with any torrent.

Patrickssj6
October 29th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Torrents are VERY unsecure.

Bad Waffle
October 29th, 2006, 02:39 PM
I think torrents are awesome. If a lot of people need a large file, just tell em to leave their window open and share the 'width. I've gotten dl speeds of 4000kb/s with some torrents.

Aero
October 29th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I don't like it very much. People don't seed as much as they should. It's also a haven for piracy and malware.

jcap
October 29th, 2006, 04:12 PM
It's also a haven for piracy and malware.
Really? I have never ran into any malware in anything I downloaded. One nice thing is that the majority of the people who use the BitTorrent networks are those who actually know more about computers than how to turn one on, so you won't have 10000 people downloading and sharing a 300kb executable claiming to be Halo 2 for Windows Vista before it is even released.

I wouldn't be able to live without BitTorrent. As others have said, it is one of the best way to get large files, especially if you have a faulty connection which decides when and when not to work on its own. It's nice to see that some corporations are finally seeing the advantage of BitTorrent over the other means of distribution. Many see it as a network used by pirates to illegally trade software and other media, but it could also be used for mass distribution of, for example, a new game demo which weighs in at 600MB, or better yet, a new release of Knoppix which weighs in at over 2.5GB. Hopefully BitTorrent will continue to catch on.

I use Azureus.

Zeph
October 29th, 2006, 04:18 PM
My download speed maxes out at about 400 KB/s, so I dont really see the difference between torrents and dedicated downloads. If there aren't many seeds, it's often faster for me to download something directly.

Emmzee
October 29th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I used Bittorrent to get that 1gb picture that NASA has. It took like 30 minutes because there were almost a thousand seeders. Thanks US government for using BitTorrent.

legionaire45
October 29th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I use the standard bittorent client. I am teh nooby at bit torrent. The only file I have gotten off of it was the beta for BF2142 which wouldn'tlet me create an account (damn closed betas xD)

Chewy Gumball
October 30th, 2006, 10:34 AM
I don't think it will become very popular until is becomes more secure. I don't know if its even possible to be more secure just because of the way it works.

Teroh
November 1st, 2006, 12:01 AM
I get about 30 kb/s on torrents, I love the idea, but better speeds would be cool. utorrent is awesome.

Btd69
November 1st, 2006, 05:24 AM
I get about 30 kb/s on torrents, I love the idea, but better speeds would be cool. utorrent is awesome.
Better speeds come from more seeders to leechers. ie, 50 leechers to say 200 seeders = better speed compared to the other way around.

Limited
November 1st, 2006, 02:57 PM
torrents rock. untill they have like 2 seeders then you just want to cry

but what i use it for, i get 40,000 seeders :)

Emmzee
November 1st, 2006, 05:06 PM
Know what made me cry? The first day FEAR Combat came out, the official torrent had 1 seeder and over two thousand leechers. Lol.

Boo Diddly
November 1st, 2006, 09:18 PM
that hurts. ow.

you leave the computer on with only 2 people dling, go to the bathroom, and come back and you have 2000 people trying to dl at once.

legionaire45
November 2nd, 2006, 07:49 PM
The BF 2142 torrent was pain until a few more seeders came and all the leachers decided that they didnt want to download a 1.7-ish GB file at 2 kb/s xD.