PDA

View Full Version : [SOURCE] New Red Orchestra update out

rossmum
June 2nd, 2007, 06:58 AM
mFWj8BZrnWY
...Another reason why you should all get it. http://sa.tweek.us/emots/images/emot-colbert.gif

Anyways, TW have added 10 new maps (I've played a couple, and they're pretty awesome... shame they kill my framerate), at least one new vehicle (a BT-7 light tank, with room for up to 4 passengers riding on the engine deck. I think there might also be an Sd.Kfz.251 variant with an 88mm PaK-43 mounted on it too, but I'm not sure - I haven't actually read the full change log yet). Useable AT guns on both sides are now ingame, as are death screams (a little overdone, to be honest... sounds more like a torture chamber than a battlefield at times) and ingame music (which can be muted, thankfully). The UI background has been redone, and various minor changes have been added like a different FP animation for bayonetting. 50-player servers are also online (as opposed to the previous maximum of 32), and there will probably be even larger servers sometime soon.

Overall the update is pretty good, though it does have its downside (tank riding is a bit buggy if you do something stupid like try and man the turret as a footsoldier, tank riding and AT guns still aren't implemented in every map meaning that some maps will have useless ATs just sitting around).

I also got 2 guest passes, one went to Snaf and the other to a friend on Facepunch. If you want to try it out, ask Metroid nicely and hope he hasn't used his, or just buy the damn game :p

http://www.redorchestragame.com

n00b1n8R
June 2nd, 2007, 07:01 AM
Pooky, be my friend k?

rossmum
June 2nd, 2007, 07:02 AM
Added trailer.

phase
June 2nd, 2007, 07:12 AM
I would buy it if steam didn't turn into pure shit.

rossmum
June 2nd, 2007, 07:17 AM
Steam is perfectly fine for me. I honestly don't see how Steam being involved should prevent you buying a good game.

phase
June 2nd, 2007, 07:22 AM
Steam is the only way I can buy the game and steam isn't working the store gives me a 404 error and I don't want to reinstall and download all my steam games again.

rossmum
June 2nd, 2007, 07:27 AM
You could always just buy it through the website in your browser, couldn't you?

phase
June 2nd, 2007, 07:31 AM
I tryed that steam won't even start up gona have to reinstall:maddowns:

rossmum
June 2nd, 2007, 01:20 PM
Well if you're gonna have to reinstall anyway, you may as well get it :p

Roostervier
June 2nd, 2007, 01:36 PM
RO is an epic game. I personally don't like the aiming system much (though it is easy to get used to), but it really does have an "epic" feel about it, while playing. I need to buy it asap, but right now I'm using a free pass.

k4is3rxkh40s
June 2nd, 2007, 03:30 PM
Id play it more but it freezes all the time on me :(

Also, I have 2 guest passes too :v

Pooky
June 2nd, 2007, 03:32 PM
Pooky, be my friend k?

You can have mine. Also, nice. An update that actually DOES something. I hate the UI for RO so I hope they improved it

Abdurahman
June 2nd, 2007, 03:39 PM
RO is super awesome. I play it a lot.

Limited
June 2nd, 2007, 04:50 PM
I wish i had RO instead of DoD.

RO reminds me of COD, and I love the COD series :D

Roostervier
June 2nd, 2007, 05:34 PM
RO is absolutely nothing like COD, or DOD, for that matter. DOD is a lot more like COD than RO is. But by all means, get RO =D.

Abdurahman
June 2nd, 2007, 05:38 PM
RO is the best WW2 game in my opinion. How about u guys?

EDIT: BTW I just found out that I have 2 free guest passes to Red Orchestra! Anyone want one so they could try it out?

Teroh
June 2nd, 2007, 05:50 PM
Id play it more but it freezes all the time on me :(

Also, I have 2 guest passes too :v
Could I have a pass please?
my account name: xTerohx
EDIT: THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Warsaw
June 2nd, 2007, 05:54 PM
I have a free pass if anyone wants to try the game. I have it, and I love it more than any other WWII game out there. Have been playing since v.3.2 of the original RO mod for UT2k4. :D

However, a majority of the game's weapon sounds are inferior to the mod's.

Limited
June 2nd, 2007, 08:02 PM
RO is absolutely nothing like COD, or DOD, for that matter. DOD is a lot more like COD than RO is. But by all means, get RO =D.Um, yeah it is. "Nothing like it" sure it is...

Warsaw
June 2nd, 2007, 08:11 PM
No...they play totally different, and I have played all of the above mentioned. RO is more realistic in terms of everything, and you don't get cross hairs or a real HUD. You have to mentally keep track of how much ammunition is in your current magazine, and your arms tire after holding your weapons in iron-sights for too long (time varies depending on what position you are in and which gun you are using). There is also regional damage, and you will slow down when hit. And, machine guns can overheat, and you must change barrels. If you continue to fire with an overheated gun, the barrel will melt and render the weapon useless. Another thing to note is that the original RO used real weapon sounds. I don't know about what the game uses, but some are real, and some are downgraded to sound "computerized."

CoD is more of a run-n'-gin game where
you have regenerating health and the computer keeps track of all your stats. Everything is done for you. You also have cross hairs (even though the irons in this game are more effective at times).

DoD is just pure crap in my opinion. Unrealistic recoil, CS:S style game play, and bad weapon sounds just totally destroy it. One man armed with an M1 can effectively hold up an entire team. That would never happen in real life. A couple grenades could flush him out, or simple numbers would overwhelm him. Machine guns also do not overheat as far as I know. The game itself doesn't look to great either, in my opinion.

rossmum
June 2nd, 2007, 08:13 PM
RO is the best WW2 game in my opinion. How about u guys?
Easily the best WWII FPS I've ever played.

Um, yeah it is. "Nothing like it" sure it is...
Uh, no it's not. CoD is a run-and-gun, score-oriented game just like CS, DoD, MoH, all of those. It has crosshairs. The weapons aren't even close to being realistic. The whole thing is set up to promote fast-paced gameplay where tactics beyond "take the left flank" don't work worth shit. CoD is fun, but it's nothing like RO at all.

RO is a tactical realism game. No crosshairs and minimal HUD (thank the Lord). You don't even know how many shots are left in your mag, and you don't know how many you have left aside from "magazine is heavy" or "magazine is light" (or if you're in deep shit, "magazine is very light"). Maps are huge and tactics are usually the deciding factor; kills/deaths aren't even displayed on the scoreboard to encourage teamwork, not running amok on your own and fucking it up for everyone else. Everything is as close to realistic as you'll see in a WWII shooter, and the game plays out completely differently.

Don't ever compare RO to CoD again.

Warsaw
June 2nd, 2007, 08:14 PM
Lol, did you even read my post?

rossmum
June 2nd, 2007, 08:16 PM
Wasn't there when I hit 'post'. :|

Limited
June 2nd, 2007, 08:26 PM
Easily the best WWII FPS I've ever played.

Uh, no it's not. CoD is a run-and-gun, score-oriented game just like CS, DoD, MoH, all of those. It has crosshairs. The weapons aren't even close to being realistic. The whole thing is set up to promote fast-paced gameplay where tactics beyond "take the left flank" don't work worth shit. CoD is fun, but it's nothing like RO at all.

RO is a tactical realism game. No crosshairs and minimal HUD (thank the Lord). You don't even know how many shots are left in your mag, and you don't know how many you have left aside from "magazine is heavy" or "magazine is light" (or if you're in deep shit, "magazine is very light"). Maps are huge and tactics are usually the deciding factor; kills/deaths aren't even displayed on the scoreboard to encourage teamwork, not running amok on your own and fucking it up for everyone else. Everything is as close to realistic as you'll see in a WWII shooter, and the game plays out completely differently.

Don't ever compare RO to CoD again.
Look at the video you posted, 43 left of the video, tell me that isnt "run and gun". If it was "stragetic" he would have thrown a grenade or slowly ran up and hid.

Americans army is "realistic" and evolves more strategy than RO.

Warsaw
June 2nd, 2007, 08:29 PM
Dude, you clearly haven't seen a lot of WWII footage. And, not to mention, not every class has grenades. The tank and squad commander classes for both sides have smoke grenades, but no explosives.

rossmum
June 2nd, 2007, 08:31 PM
You may not have noticed, but people don't always use their ironsights in war. Trench clearing is more or less just spamming lead from the hip; the difference is that in RO that is very rare and there's no crosshair to make it ridiculously easy. I've killed PPSh spammers at point-blank range with a K98 before, and considering I own RO and DoD and have played CoD, I would think I'd know.

Warsaw
June 2nd, 2007, 08:36 PM
There is a glitch in RO if you fire the PPSh from the hip for about 20 shots and reload, you have about zero recoil.

And I have a naturally good aim anyways, so almost all of my non-iron shots hit. :)

Limited
June 2nd, 2007, 08:37 PM
I just find it funny, alot of the action in the video you posted to show the game, is COD style. Its fast paced like you said. Its "stragetic" like you said. However ever game has some level needed of course.

rossmum
June 2nd, 2007, 10:06 PM
There is a glitch in RO if you fire the PPSh from the hip for about 20 shots and reload, you have about zero recoil.

And I have a naturally good aim anyways, so almost all of my non-iron shots hit. :)
That's your framerate. I rarely get recoil at all because mine's always under 25... that's also why sometimes players spin around like mad.

I just find it funny, alot of the action in the video you posted to show the game, is COD style. Its fast paced like you said. Its "stragetic" like you said. However ever game has some level needed of course.
Typically the CoD players who ask "where's the crosshair" and spam for all they're worth are the first to die. Usually at the hands of some random with a simple bolt-action... the bolt-action rifles shit over all else in most maps.

Warsaw
June 2nd, 2007, 10:11 PM
No, I don't believe it is my frame rate. My frames are in the 70s (yay for GeForce 7800GT). It is a glitch. I have done it on Lyes Krovy, Stalingrad Kessel, KonigzPlatz, and other maps.

My primary firearm is the SVT-40. No other gun in the game can compare with its versatility, not even the G43. :D

rossmum
June 2nd, 2007, 10:16 PM
StG, scoped '98 or 91/30, or scoped '43. A scoped StG would be godlike... as would an FG42.

I'm SO making an FG.

Pooky
June 2nd, 2007, 10:28 PM
That's your framerate. I rarely get recoil at all because mine's always under 25... that's also why sometimes players spin around like mad.

Yes! I encountered that recently and it's funny as all hell to watch. I don't really understand why I get a poor framerate in this game though. =\

Warsaw
June 2nd, 2007, 11:24 PM
I have yet to see anyone spinning around wildly.

n00b1n8R
June 3rd, 2007, 01:17 AM
38% :|

k4is3rxkh40s
June 3rd, 2007, 03:18 AM
Yes! I encountered that recently and it's funny as all hell to watch. I don't really understand why I get a poor framerate in this game though. =\

Same here, I can get like 60 FPS on CSS with most things either max or medium, and then get half that many FPS with RO and Halo :[

n00b1n8R
June 3rd, 2007, 03:45 AM
58% :|

Elite Killa
June 3rd, 2007, 08:18 AM
What system is this game for? PC?

rossmum
June 3rd, 2007, 10:16 AM
Yep.

Teroh
June 3rd, 2007, 03:36 PM
I get great framerates with everything at full on RO. <3 8800 GTS

Warsaw
June 3rd, 2007, 05:06 PM
Same here! <3 7800GT... =&#222;

Abdurahman
June 3rd, 2007, 05:55 PM
I get GREAT framerates with everything on high with an X800GTO.

:DPwnt!

I really do no joke.

Pooky
June 3rd, 2007, 06:37 PM
Radeon x1600 pro 256 mb D:

I get about 30 fps with everything maxed and 60-75 on medium-high. It's the HDR what does it, but I can't stand HDR anyway so I'm happy to turn it off

Abdurahman
June 3rd, 2007, 09:20 PM
I get like 60 fps with everything maxed. I love my card!

SnaFuBAR
June 3rd, 2007, 11:35 PM
is downloading RO. can't wait to try it on the 7300 i'm returning and getting an x1950pro, then trying it on that :smirk:

rossmum
June 3rd, 2007, 11:43 PM
FX5200 128MB you rich whores :suicide:

15-30fps on mid-low, 1024x768
10-20fps on mid-high :gonk:

Abdurahman
June 3rd, 2007, 11:48 PM
Well my x800gto was only 89.99 8 months ago when I bought it lol. It must be less now.

Runs fear maxed at 50 fps

Runs bf2 maxed at 1024x768 and 2xaa at 50 fps

Runs RO maxed at 60 fps.

Hmm lets see.

Runs all source games maxed with 4xaa and 8x af at 80+fps.

Id say I have a decent card. Dont ya think?;)

n00b1n8R
June 4th, 2007, 01:08 AM
just finished DL.

BBL kthx.

Pooky
June 4th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Something about the netcode is better, cause I can hit people a lot more now.

rossmum
June 4th, 2007, 05:14 AM
HOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHIT do NOT overheat the '34 or '42. They cut the unlimited barrels and now you can only carry 2, one fires while the other cools. :D

Warsaw
June 4th, 2007, 03:39 PM
I've never once overheated in a multiplayer game ever...I am not concerned. :D

Pooky
June 4th, 2007, 04:15 PM
HOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHIT do NOT overheat the '34 or '42. They cut the unlimited barrels and now you can only carry 2, one fires while the other cools. :D

You sound so happy that the barrel switch got nerfed :|

rossmum
June 5th, 2007, 02:16 AM
I've never once overheated in a multiplayer game ever...I am not concerned. :D
You haven't played on the 3SA & 3PgD 44-man server on Stalingrad, then. I was in the left second floor window (which meant I more or less had command of the entire map), and they started rushing in waves... I'm no noob with the '42, but I was hammering out bursts so fast that it overheated anyway. I could've stopped and changed barrels earlier, but they had my teammates pinned and were going for the cap out :|

You sound so happy that the barrel switch got nerfed :|
It was a pain in the ass to find out the hard way, but I think it's a good thing. It forces MG crews to pick their shots more carefully and prevents them from just firing continuously.

Actually, I'd love to see an assistant gunner slot for every MG slot... to carry extra ammo and barrels, as well as binocs to spot.

Warsaw
June 5th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I thought everyone automatically carried an MG belt to give to the gunner when he shouts for ammunition.

I don't really machine-gun. I use bolt actions or semi-autos, and on rare occasion, an SMG. I am your typical grunt. Grenades are my only allies...lol.

~ZMT~Trace
June 5th, 2007, 09:47 PM
How much is it again?

Also, anyone have a guest pass, because I think I want to play it before i buy it.

rossmum
June 5th, 2007, 10:18 PM
I thought everyone automatically carried an MG belt to give to the gunner when he shouts for ammunition.

I don't really machine-gun. I use bolt actions or semi-autos, and on rare occasion, an SMG. I am your typical grunt. Grenades are my only allies...lol.
Yeah, but they don't carry spare barrels. :smith:
I gravitate towards the SVT/G43 and the bolt-action snipers, as well as the StG and MG42. I'm happy with most weapons, though.

How much is it again?

Also, anyone have a guest pass, because I think I want to play it before i buy it.

$20 US

Abdurahman
June 6th, 2007, 12:11 AM
I have one. Actually I have 2 : ) Just give me ur steam name and ill give you a free guest pass.

Agamemnon
June 6th, 2007, 12:24 AM
I was wrestling whether if I wanted to buy BF2 or this. What do you guys suggest?

Pooky
June 6th, 2007, 01:03 AM
I was wrestling whether if I wanted to buy BF2 or this. What do you guys suggest?

This.

rossmum
June 6th, 2007, 06:23 AM
This.
++++++++++++

I haven't encountered one squealer yet.

Abdurahman
June 6th, 2007, 02:23 PM
BF2

Warsaw
June 6th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Red Orchestra. It doesn't get boring nearly as fast.

rossmum
June 6th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Not to mention that weapons and explosions actually feel powerful, as opposed to ratatatatatatatat oh you're dead. More like BRAAAAAAAAAAAAP BRAAAAAAP BRAAAAAAAAAAAP LOL OOPS I JUST KILLED 30 PEOPLE.

Plus, BF2 C4 and arty have nothing on RO, not to mention the tanks are actually proper tanks. Shells and bullets ricochet off of angled surfaces and arc over (you can see them arc with shells or tracers). And you can play half-decent realism. And it takes a lot of skill. And also, you can do this:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/ros-20061223-164108.jpg
He was standing RIGHT NEXT to me and a fucking SU-76 shell blew his arm off :smithicide:

Warsaw
June 6th, 2007, 08:12 PM
It seems that people don't get dismembered often enough in such a violent game as this. I can have an artillery shell land on top of me, and I am still in one piece.

~ZMT~Trace
June 6th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Oh. Shit.

phase
June 6th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Not to mention that weapons and explosions actually feel powerful, as opposed to ratatatatatatatat oh you're dead. More like BRAAAAAAAAAAAAP BRAAAAAAP BRAAAAAAAAAAAP LOL OOPS I JUST KILLED 30 PEOPLE.

Plus, BF2 C4 and arty have nothing on RO, not to mention the tanks are actually proper tanks. Shells and bullets ricochet off of angled surfaces and arc over (you can see them arc with shells or tracers). And you can play half-decent realism. And it takes a lot of skill. And also, you can do this:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/rossmum/ros-20061223-164108.jpg
He was standing RIGHT NEXT to me and a fucking SU-76 shell blew his arm off :smithicide:
Fuck I need that game.

Warsaw
June 6th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Ross, you play the Nazi Pigs too much.

rossmum
June 6th, 2007, 08:39 PM
It seems that people don't get dismembered often enough in such a violent game as this. I can have an artillery shell land on top of me, and I am still in one piece.
I get that, too. I think it's just an issue with you, as the client, being gibbed, because when I look at others I often see them simply blown to chunks.

Oh. Shit.
More or less what I shouted when that happened ._.

Fuck I need that game.
Yes, you do.

Ross, you play the Nazi Pigs too much.
Mister I'll have you know that I am in fact a very well disciplined Panzergrenadier and I don't support Nazi ideals. I'm just in it for the blowing up of tanks.

Seriously though, I do love playing as the Russians, and I take scoped Nagants and SVTs whenever I can, as well as the PPSh. If you can't beat 'em, steal their guns. :downs:

Abdurahman
June 6th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Yo Trace where r u. I still have 2 Red Orchestra guest passes, and Im willing to give them out.

Warsaw
June 6th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I was just joking Ross...:downs: I am half German myself. No Russian lineage whatsoever.

The whole non-exploding bodies also happens in practice servers.

Pooky
June 6th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I was just joking Ross...:downs: I am half German myself. No Russian lineage whatsoever.

I don't think they're meant to explode 100% of the time, like the dismemberment function in jedi outcast only removes limbs some 80% of the time. I get plenty of exploded bodies from artillery and sometimes not :|

rossmum
June 6th, 2007, 09:20 PM

I know you were just joking, Ace :downs:

Meh, no idea what's with that. I know that a direct shell/arty hit results in your body instagibbing and the camera locking at the spot it happened, but everything else just shrapnel-coats you and tosses you around.

Agamemnon
June 6th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Too late guys. I bought the BF2 package that includes the sequels/expansion packs and everything. It was only $34.99.

Abdurahman
June 6th, 2007, 09:43 PM
YAY! Good job.