PDA

View Full Version : 86 Mac Plus Vs. 07 AMD DualCore. You Won't Believe Who Wins!

Abdurahman
June 4th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Read this (http://hubpages.com/hub/_86_Mac_Plus_Vs_07_AMD_DualCore_You_Wont_Believe_W ho_Wins). Kinda makes ya think don't it.

Pooky
June 4th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Wait wait, I can almost guarantee someone is going to come and say

Old.
and it'll probably be Atty

rossmum
June 4th, 2007, 10:33 AM
...Doubles as a terrible pun, too. :gonk:

Reaper Man
June 4th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Loal, good stuff.

klange
June 4th, 2007, 11:42 AM
I believe it.
I used to have an old-as-crap Mac. That was a long time ago though...

Dal
June 4th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Man is that misleading. :|

SnaFuBAR
June 4th, 2007, 03:30 PM
What a load of crap.

Zero advance in productivity? I guess that is, if you count out networking, internet tasks, etc etc, sure :rolleyes:. You gotta forget about networking and advancments and compatabilities with newer tech to believe that garbage article.

legionaire45
June 4th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I had a 33 mhz Apple Quadra for a while. Sup Bryce 2.5 or 3.0 or something taking a half hour to render a skybox with nothing else =P.

Patrickssj6
June 4th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Don't be like someone who searches for crap like this...you know it's not really true.

The snail will always be slower then the turtle as will Snaf's Penis always be shorter than mine.

It's common sense.

Btd69
June 4th, 2007, 10:53 PM
That's not fair though patrick, because he doesn't have one =x

Abdurahman
June 4th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Funny stuff. I dont really believe that stuff either tho.

[I.B]Mr_Kola
June 4th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Interesting article... I see they failed to do tests for any sort of multi-tasking though... :P

Abdurahman
June 4th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Duh, because they know that the AMD will burn it like a Bugatti Veyron Vs a Model T Ford lol!

paladin
June 4th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I guess Ill have to trade in my new pc for an 86 Mac Plus. Gotta stick with the best!

Rob Oplawar
June 5th, 2007, 08:00 PM
lolz, yeah it's pretty dorky to try and say that a computer older than me is better than a brand new one, but they've got a point in terms of OS clunkiness.
I don't know what Linux is like, but I'm really hoping it's more similar to that old OS than it is to Vista. I really don't care about all that visual crap, all I want is an effective operating system. That's the idea of an operating system- an ideal one makes the computer work and nothing else. I don't want my computer to be eating up processing power when it is as far as I'm concerned doing nothing. I want all the power to go to my apps- and another thing, I don't want my app doing a bunch of shit it doesn't need to do.

Warsaw
June 5th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Linux doesn't have all of the shiny doodads. It's clean and streamlined.

Zeph
June 6th, 2007, 07:11 PM
heaven forbid I try and open my 5 megabyte research document on that old bucket.

Warsaw
June 6th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Will it even fit on that old toaster?

ExAm
June 6th, 2007, 08:47 PM
What a load of crap.

Zero advance in productivity? I guess that is, if you count out networking, internet tasks, etc etc, sure :rolleyes:. You gotta forget about networking and advancments and compatabilities with newer tech to believe that garbage article.We're talking about its speed at performing tasks of the time, with period software. It was faster at what it had to do than modern computers are at what they have to do.

Zeph
June 6th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Will it even fit on that old toaster?
nope. Well, it would fit on a hard drive if you were rich enough to afford one that large back then. It still wouldn't be able to cache the entire file to memory though.

Warsaw
June 6th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Nice. :downs:

4RT1LL3RY
June 6th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Pff, I want to see Commadore 64 versus a quad core computer with vista.
Should we use teh commador 64 or 128? My C++ teacher has both, and a Mac Pro.

Or better yet, a calculator vs a Mac Pro :)
The new nSpire from TI and the Mac Pro. The calculator has a faster processor and about equal memory i believe. Or a TI-84 Plus, with its powerhouse 12 mhz processor and 28kB of ram. And it can run Basic unlike the Mac.
That would make a great article "New Calculator vs Old Mac Who Will Win?"

ExAm
June 6th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Uhh, the Mac Pro is one of the very newest, and lightning fast Macs there is. This is talking about a Mac Plus, from the '80s.

Abdurahman
June 6th, 2007, 09:30 PM
We're talking about its speed at performing tasks of the time, with period software. It was faster at what it had to do than modern computers are at what they have to do.

Win.

stunt_man
June 6th, 2007, 10:34 PM
If I games were released for Mac, I would buy a Mac. I always had respect for them. However, since games don't get released for Mac, I'm stickin' with PC...

Kornman00
June 7th, 2007, 10:59 AM
but also because it was written in assembly code instead of the higher level language C. The lower the level of the code language, the less processing cycles are required to get something done.Don't you just love shit when its pulled straight from the ass! Holy shit.

And they're comparing a OS made directly by the same company as the the maker of the computer, verses the maker of a computer who isn't even related to the OS maker. Not to mention different CPU designs. There are too many dependent variables they didn't account for or even mention in this experiment.

So :picsorstfu:

-£§- §age
June 7th, 2007, 01:18 PM
<3 I love vintage Macs...Vintage computers at all, for that matter @_@...
I wish I had a Mac Plus. But I also want a Commodore 64, so....Bite me.

The test was fair and is true. It may not seem like it could be possible, but it is. My old Mac Performa 550 boots faster than this "blazin" computer. It COULD do internet with a modem. Also, in documents of that time, there was no need for formatting, etc., so there were no 5 MB research papers. If there were, they'd be 20 pages!

But what Korn said above is true.

by the way, Stuntman, I develop games for Windows, Linux, and Mac.

Warsaw
June 7th, 2007, 06:40 PM
House networks can slow down boot-time, and so can over-clocking tools and background applications.

paladin
June 7th, 2007, 08:40 PM
My computer is just fine...

Can a human really notice 1/10th of a second? Is it really that big of a deal?

Warsaw
June 7th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Those tenths add up.

-£§- §age
June 9th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Indeed it is so, a million tenths is one hundred thousand.