PDA

View Full Version : Autoaim Lives.

p0lar_bear
November 6th, 2006, 01:28 AM
This may not be news to you, but I've always thought that autoaim was turned off in Halo PC. If you knew about this, you don't have to read it.

Ok, ok. Let's get some things straight here, first:

I am NOT talking about aimbots.
I am NOT talking about projectile homing (a la the needler).

I was screwing around with the LAAG turret on yoyorast with mech, and when he came close to me, i noticed the bullets kinda went in his general direction. No hits, but they weren't going straight.

So, I decided to test this out a bit. I had him back up against a wall, and i shot the pistol into the wall nowhere near him. The bullets landed smack in the center of the reticle. I moved the reticle a bit closer. The reticle turned red, and it wasn't even touching his head or his shoulder. I fired, and the bullets either hit mech, or they hit the rim of the pistol reticle.

The best part of the test was the rocket launcher. I had mech stand near (not in or right in front of) the water on the beach. I backed up a bit, and centered the center pixel of the rocket on mech (the rocket has pinpoint accuracy). I aimed my reticle off to the side a bit, it turned blue, and I fired, not moving the reticle. The rocket landed a direct hit. I noticed that the rocket wasn't in the center of the reticle during flight.

So, Halo PC still has autoaim. I remember Kornman telling me it was in before, which explained why the reticle turned red, but I thought he meant that it only turned the reticle red; I had no idea bullets actually would move towards an enemy target.

I recorded this test session; i'll chop up the video and post it in due time.

rossmum
November 6th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Aye. The autoaim range is the range within which a target will turn the reticle red. I noticed the plasma rifle autoaiming lightly on my second run through the Maw, it was pretty small but it was there.

Cortexian
November 6th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Yea, I noticed this in Halo PC demo, after I modded it so that I had unlimid\ted sniper ammo, and could walk up walls... It was fun to join a server and then grab the sniper and run up a wall and snipe ppl... neways, the sniper's did home a bit, my friend and I tested it multiple times.

And no, I don't modify game files to my advantage ne more...

Teroh
November 7th, 2006, 12:38 AM
K.

Boo Diddly
November 7th, 2006, 05:14 PM
i think its there to "help" adjust to the bad netcode. each weapon does have a bit of stickyness, some more than others. the needler's tracking is a very large autoaim, where as the sniper rifle has very little.

p0lar_bear
November 9th, 2006, 02:09 AM
the needler's tracking is a very large autoaim, where as the sniper rifle has very little.
No, that's projectile homing. Look at the homing on the pistol bullet. No homing at all. Autoaim and homing are entirely different things.

Boo Diddly
November 9th, 2006, 12:24 PM
are you sure...

According to Guerilla, in .weapon tags under "aim assist" there are the fields. So, in certain definitions, I am correct. also under the pistol, the autoaim angle is 3, the magnatism is 6. the autoaim is 6 and the magnatism is 12 for the needler.

rossmum
November 9th, 2006, 11:43 PM
The needler has autoaim and homing... :ohsnap:
I would've thought that one was a bit of a no-brainer, myself...

Limited
November 10th, 2006, 10:31 AM
ummm, so?

even if it does, it only hits like the arm, which hardly inflicts damage..

halo ce doesnt actually have that bad netcode, it just locks on to the arm when you ARE aimed at the head...mb?

rossmum
November 10th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Nah, it's the netcode. Trust me on that one. ;)

Limited
November 10th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Nah, it's the netcode. Trust me on that one. ;)
netcode isnt that bad, people just make it sound like its so bad

"omfg wtf shit netcode, i cant get my ghost to blow up properly just like in SP! crappy netcode!111"

^
no, your just trying to do some thing that isnt suppost to happen, ur fault if it fucks up m8

Limited
November 10th, 2006, 04:30 PM
That has nothing to do with netcode. netcode is the reason why we lead, and it makes it almost impossible to sync elevators and such.
well thats what masters said in beta testing :XD:

leading is a result in bad netcode, making syncing elevators is just because the net code restricts it, that doesnt make it bad...

just imagine if it did work, they'd fuck it all up

rossmum
November 10th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Or we could make highly interactive MP maps like dod_strand_b4... =/

Mr Buckshot
November 10th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I don't see any problems with the autoaim. After all, it does help compensate a little for high-latency servers (the netcode for the full version of Halo is worse than the demo's).

the netcode was only poor because if I recall correctly, it was trying to fool the game into thinking that online MP was system link or something?

rossmum
November 10th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Yeah, the Halo autoaim wasn't a worry. On the other hand, the H2 autoaim had obviously been turned from "compensate for lag" to "noob".

ChemicalFizz
November 10th, 2006, 10:58 PM
netcode isnt that bad, people just make it sound like its so bad

"omfg wtf shit netcode, i cant get my ghost to blow up properly just like in SP! crappy netcode!111"

^
no, your just trying to do some thing that isnt suppost to happen, ur fault if it fucks up m8

nah, trust me

Leading in a game is not normal... I can't find any other shooter where you must do so... -.-

rossmum
November 10th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Aside from the lead on a moving target if they're a long way away, I agree.