PDA

View Full Version : [Tutorial] Video - Making your first Halo 2 Vista Map

CodeBrain
June 8th, 2007, 07:32 PM
All you greenhorns that dont know how to make Halo 2 Vista maps.....This is going to be your lucky day!

http://files.filefront.com/Halo2_Map_Tutrar/;7730307;;/fileinfo.html

Enjoy.

Kalub
June 9th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Things wrong:
In CE you don't have to name the bsp name to skybox.
It's pronounced "s-fear" not "sp-eer"
Don't talk to the audience. Like you do sometimes.
Do not let us sit there and watch your computer load, skip it.
Also the black is because you don't have any walls to block off the section where the skybox ends. Since its just a hemisphere.

Okay, those are just a few things that bugged me right away that I thought I should share with you. Now let me get down to the actual critique of the tutorial. First off, its not much of a tutorial more of a walk through of a very very basic map that in my sense of mind wasn't even created right.

You didn't teach the users much other than a quick "create" a box, create these basic materials (You didn't seem to understand that part to the fullest), and export as an Bungie Ass file, olol... Then a quick compile into tool.

You showed no further explanation of the tools or techniques you can use in max to model a level, such as starting with a plane instead of a box, or even a spline if I dare say so. You didn't go into the launcher applications tools, or even come close to explaining the lighting functions of the Halo 2 Engine.

There are so many flaws to this tutorial that its not funny, all you did was teach people how to make a "cube-map", and I think I'll leave it at that as I wish to not rip into your tutorial any more.

I'll give it a 4/10 for the effort.

CodeBrain
June 9th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Thanks, but this was meant just for your FIRST map, not for your ultimate modded map. I was just using the tutorial they gave us, and put it into video form. Sry if it annoyed you...

Kalub
June 9th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Its not really that it annoyed me, its just your teaching things that I despise in many ways. I come from Halo:CE and we hate box maps with a passion, we would like maps with great effort put into them, and by what you showed in that video you completely went against all that I am for.

All I ask is that you do not define a FIRST map by the quality of it, but by the effort you put into it. If you would like some people to lookup on that created their first maps, very well played maps, then go look for Yoyorast, or Schwinz the creattors of Yoyorast_Island and Wartorn Cove.

I wish that you would have taught better methods then showing a lazy way out. I hoped that this tutorial would have been similar to Kurks, from Halomods where he walked you through the creation of a map from point A of nothing to point B of a completed well polished BSP. It just didn't live up to expectations.

Even though you did create the tutorial, is it so much to ask that you re think it? Maybe break it up into a series of tutorials from modeling, to texturing, and then the compiling process instead of trying to cram it into one video? And if you do take me up on this offer then try to find a nice quite place where you wont be interrupted by yappy dogs, or a mother.

Goodluck.

CodeBrain
June 9th, 2007, 10:27 AM
After a couple of hours of looking at what you said, Kalub, I am in the process of making another tutorial, based on your references to maps (I'm not saying that I'm stealing their ideas, I'm just seeing what they did, and trying to figure out how they did it, and such.) I will try harder on this "refurbished" tutorial.

Thanks for the comments, Kalub. :D

BTW, i also posted this on halomods, 1 person downloaded it there, said it was nice. Oh well, time to make a better tutorial.

Kalub
June 9th, 2007, 08:08 PM
All Im saying is to make it a well structured piece of advice that will help users understand to make a map, but don't try to rush it. Dedicate yourself.

Thanks for listening

Patrickssj6
June 9th, 2007, 08:52 PM
You I-Can-Only-Speak-English dude

it's GUERILLA not GORILLA

Difference?

Guerilla
http://class.csueastbay.edu/latinamericanstudies/el-salvador-guerilla.jpg
Gorrila
http://www.msu.edu/%7Edrb/gorilla.gif

It's Spanish for warfare.

Not bad but
A.I don't want your mom in the background; I want her somewhere else :pervert:
B.Explain things don't just show them

Sakievich
June 9th, 2007, 11:22 PM
That's actually an orangutan.

Patrickssj6
June 10th, 2007, 07:43 AM
That's actually an orangutan.
I swear I googled gorilla.

Meh

CodeBrain
June 10th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks for posting over a halomods Patrick. :p

Just read the post over there, Its over here alrdy.

Patrickssj6
June 10th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Linking to the Frame:

You click link and select the model you want to link.The you press H and make sure you check "Display Subtrees" and then select the frame.

Go out of unlinking mode and go to selection mode and press H to show the user that you linked the model to the frame.

To be continued....

2and2makes5
June 10th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I got up to the point of exporting the map, but there's no Bungie ASS in my Save as type box. Do I have to download something?
EDIT: Nevermind. I figured it out.

Awesome tutorial CodeBrain! Keep up the good work! :D

Kalub
June 10th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Wait for a better tutorial to come out, he is working on it.

Lux
June 10th, 2007, 09:38 PM
I was following this and I got up to where you flip all the polygons and when I click flip and unselect my box every face that was selected(all of them) just turn black until I select them and flip them again...

Kalub
June 10th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Do you have 3ds Max 9? If so you need to turn off/on backface culling. Right click your object and select properties, turn it off or on.

Please note the Assets exporter does not work for 3ds Max 9.

Roostervier
June 11th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Do you have 3ds Max 9? If so you need to turn off/on backface culling. Right click your object and select properties, turn it off or on.

Please note the Assets exporter does not work for 3ds Max 9.
They need to turn backface culling on. I suggest changing it in preferences, that way it does it every time.

Lux
June 11th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks guys, and yea I have 3DS Max 9, but I'm just learning stuff until TheGhost releases his Max 9 exporter script.

Edit:
I can't find it in the preferences, I only found it in the Object Properties...

Kalub
June 11th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Who ever said TheGhost was working on a Max 9 Exporter? I remember the poll, but I never heard any word from him.

Patrickssj6
June 11th, 2007, 05:44 PM
He is a Ghost after all >.<

Lux
June 11th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Who ever said TheGhost was working on a Max 9 Exporter? I remember the poll, but I never heard any word from him.

http://www.h2vista.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2829
5th post down.

yoyorast
June 12th, 2007, 01:25 PM
All I ask is that you do not define a FIRST map by the quality of it, but by the effort you put into it. If you would like some people to lookup on that created their first maps, very well played maps, then go look for Yoyorast, or Schwinz the creattors of Yoyorast_Island and Wartorn Cove.

I love Schwinz's work , no offence to him but I created Yoyorast Island... ;)
He just gave me permission to use his little sniper tower..

Kalub
June 12th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I know that silly, sorry I didn't write that very clear. But the statement was meant to match up like this:

...Yoyorast, or Schwinz the creattors of Yoyorast_Island and Wartorn Cove....

{GR.DestroyerGR}
November 30th, 2008, 06:27 AM
the polygon properties i see it as "polygon material id"
please help

{GR.DestroyerGR}
November 30th, 2008, 07:04 AM
i dont have the ASS plugin
can you help me
i save my map as .max

UchihaCrow
December 2nd, 2008, 03:38 PM
Can you teach how to port Halo 1 Maps to Halo 2 like how bloodgulch was ported

Inferno
December 2nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
All you need to know how to do to do that is how to export models from halo 1, How to make a map in halo 2 and how to build shaders in halo 2. The hardest of those things to learn is the shaders but I picked it up in about a hour and have pretty much mastered it (besides those damn light holograms)

There's not really much of a point in creating a tut for that anyways because half the maps have already made there way too H2.

UchihaCrow
December 3rd, 2008, 03:59 PM
:( that isnt a tutorial thats just telling me what i should do

Inferno
December 3rd, 2008, 05:45 PM
I know. Go out and figure it out I'm not going to be your mother. Look up a tutorial on halo maps or on this site. If you want to get something done you usually have to do it yourself.

*snip*

{GR.DestroyerGR}
December 3rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
there is not .ass plugin in autodesk 3ds MAX 2009

PLEASE FREAKING HELP

Inferno
December 3rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3815

Took me about 45 seconds to find. It was in this section of forum. Try harder next time.

ShadowSpartan
December 3rd, 2008, 07:19 PM
{GR.DestroyerGR}, getting pissed off at members because they won't help you just makes us dislike you, and not want to help you. Don't be lazy, search for stuff yourself first before asking. We are not here to feed you like a baby, but we will help once you have actually tried it on your own. As inferno said, it took him like 45 seconds, doesn't take that much effort to use the search feature.

{GR.DestroyerGR}
December 4th, 2008, 06:22 AM
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3815

Took me about 45 seconds to find. It was in this section of forum. Try harder next time.

so where i put this file?

ShadowSpartan
December 4th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Seriously...it took me about a minute to google it for you. This site tells you how to run a script. (http://www.3dtrue.com/max/19.html) There is no specific place you must put the script, but for organization, I would suggest placing any scripts in the "scripts" folder insider your 3ds max directory ("C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2009\Scripts").

Inferno
December 4th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Destroyer... Go here (http://forum.halomaps.org/) people might like you there. Your just going to get flamed and ridiculed here trust me, we've seen it a million times.

p0lar_bear
December 8th, 2008, 01:11 AM
:( that isnt a tutorial thats just telling me what i should do

I can't help myself here, sorry. Anyone else here see the incredible irony in this post?

Crow, I believe the Halo 2 Map Editor ships with a basic tutorial in the form of a help file, although I've heard things about it referencing a few missing files.

At any rate, to both Destroyer and Crow: please learn how to use the tools (h2tool, h2guerilla, h2sapien, 3dsmax/gmax) before you jump into projects such as conversions. They may seem simple, but if you don't know how to use the base tools to go about it, then you're SOL. Nobody is going to sit down with you and give you a step-by-step walkthrough.