PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun reloading animation(s)?

kenney001
June 8th, 2007, 09:33 PM
What all animatins do i need to make a shotgun reloading animation? I have looked at the regular shotgun, but when i import the animations into max i dont get what the animations are doing, and they all look the same.

Could someone explain what all i need to do to make the reloading animation on a shotgun?

Stealth
June 9th, 2007, 12:04 AM
well if you unload a whole clip, so all 12 shots are used, the MC reloads all 12, then pumps the gun once. when it's less then 12, it's the same thing, just with out the pumping.

FRain
June 9th, 2007, 12:47 AM
It's really not as simple as that. You have the enter animation where I believe you put the gun up and load the first round. Then you have the reload, which I think is just one round. The reload_empty is one shell then pump. I'm not ENTIRELY sure but, I'll go look.

p0lar_bear
June 9th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Here's how the shotgun's reload animations work:

first-person enter.jma - Shotgun is moved so the insertion port faces the user.
first-person reload-empty.jma - A shell is inserted.
first-person exit-empty - Shotgun is cocked and then put back into the idle position.
first-person exit-full - Shotgun is put back into the idle position.

So, you can have five different animations.

first-person enter.jma
Leads into the looping reload animation.

first-person reload-empty.jma
The reload loop that plays if the magazine is emptied before reloading.
If this is not used, reload-full is used for both situations.

first-person reload-full.jma
The reload loop that plays if the magazine still has ammo in it before reloading. If this is not used, reload-empty is used for both situations.

first-person exit-empty.jma
Leads back into the idle position if the magazine was emptied before reloading.

first-person exit-full.jma
Leads back into the idle position if the magazine had ammo in it still before reloading.

CtrlAltDestroy
June 9th, 2007, 08:29 AM
First-person enter: The shell is HALF INSERTED then the animation ends.

First-person reload-empty (or full): The shell is then continued to be fully inserted, then another shell is half inserted so the animation ends where it stared. When you play it back, it should make a seamless looping animation of inserting shells.

First-person exit-empty (or full): The (last) shell is then fully inserted, then it returns to the origin. (Or has whatever animation you want to put between the two; pumping, etc)

kenney001
June 9th, 2007, 10:26 AM
both of you get +rep. thanks, thats what i needed to know.

Gahhh....It wont let me add reputation to CtrlAltDestroy. Why is this? I havent given rep in like 2 days, and not to CtrlAltDestroy in a week or two (no-offense) because it doesnt let me.

kenney001
June 10th, 2007, 12:46 AM
ok i have a new question, better to post it here then a new topic.

It will not play the enter or exit animations, only the reload loop. is there something i need to change or what? I have opened the .model_animations and made sure the animations match up with the ones they are supposed to work, and its all good...

ICEE
June 10th, 2007, 01:10 AM
well, this is a little off topic, but i was thinking of making a modded shotgun that has far more power, but slow reload and pump. you know that slower pumping animation that happens when you fully reload a shotgun all at once? well i thought id find a way to make it do that after every shot. really slow down the process to balance out its power. how would i do that? anyone know?

p0lar_bear
June 10th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Make a slower fire-1.jma animation and then change the rate of fire in the weapon tag to reflect it.

kenney001
June 11th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Is there anything special you have to do to get the game to use the enter and exit commands for the shotgun loops, because right now it only plays the reload animation.

teh lag
June 11th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Set weapon type to "shotgun" in the .weapon tag.

kenney001
June 11th, 2007, 11:43 AM
that did it. +rep for you

ICEE
June 11th, 2007, 08:23 PM
well (going back to before) i know how to slow down the reloading but i want that animation in there for the pumping. i dont know how to do that

p0lar_bear
June 11th, 2007, 09:37 PM
well (going back to before) i know how to slow down the reloading but i want that animation in there for the pumping. i dont know how to do that

What, a pump after a shell in inserted?

That makes zero sense; cocking a shotgun refreshes the firing chamber, effectively ejecting whatever's in there to put the next shell in. You'd end up putting the shell in, only to have it come right back out the ejection port.

Halo may be a sci-fi game, but some things need to have sense to them.

kenney001
June 12th, 2007, 10:38 AM
no, it makes sense, you put the last shell in, and you pump to release the spent shell of the last shot you fired before the reload, and chamber a fresh shell.

p0lar_bear
June 12th, 2007, 11:47 AM
no, it makes sense, you put the last shell in, and you pump to release the spent shell of the last shot you fired before the reload, and chamber a fresh shell.

No, he's looking to cock the pump each time a shell is inserted, in order to slow down the reloading sequence.