PDA

View Full Version : "Random" reload animations?

Dole
November 6th, 2006, 04:51 PM
The shotgun has a different animation for the number of shells you fire, and most of the weapons in Halo [1] have empty firing chamber reload animations.
Theoretically, would it be possible to assign a different animation to each weapon pending on how many shots you fire? Just to mix it up a bit, so MC doesn't look so robotic, reloading in the same pattern every time.

Example: For the Battle Rifle, use a total of 3 different reload animations, not including the empty-chamber reload. Different clip capacities will be assigned one of these four reloads.
Reload anim #1 is assigned to the ammo counts of 33, 21, and 9
Reload anim #2 is assigned to the ammo counts of 30, 24, 18, and 12
Reload anim #3 is assigned to the ammo counts of 27, 15, 6, and 3
Reload anim #4 is assigned as the empty chamber reload

The animations could be supplied by the various beta stages, so... is it possible?

teh lag
November 6th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Unfortunately, no. The shotgun, in fact, doesn't have a new animation for each different ammo level, it just plays a loop of animations over and over, consisting of first-person enter, first-person reload empty/full (loops), and first-person exit emty\full. The closest tihng to this would be an ammunition animation (like the needler's needles) that slighty altered the FP hands pose... but tihs would effect ll thoe ther animtions as well, and wouldn't really look right. In h2, hoewever, this is an entirely different matter, as fp animations can have permuations. (The dfferent melee animations for weapons is a prime example of this, no reason why it wouldn't work on another animation.)

Dole
November 6th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I always wondered why there were two different melees for most of the weapons, but only one reload in Halo 2, considering it supported permutations.

TheGhost
November 6th, 2006, 10:23 PM
I'm pretty sure (85%) that you can have different animations play randomly...

Masterz1337
November 7th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Only in 3p ghost, FP anims and models are restricted :( No permuations, no widgets.

Jayden
November 10th, 2006, 03:37 PM
In the H2 Banshee for CE, the roll animations are roll.0, roll.1, and roll.2 or something like that. Is it possible that if you named the animations reload.0, reload.1, reload.2 that this may also randomly pick one? Just an idea.

teh lag
November 10th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Only in 3p ghost, FP anims and models are restricted :( No permuations, no widgets.

Permutations in FP anims won't work, I've tried a number of times.

Cortexian
November 14th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Why would you want different reload animations anyway? you can only reload most guns one way, with a variation of the cocking... like on a armalite (M16, M4) you slide in a new mag and then pull the cocking lever if there's no round in the chamber, if there IS a round in the chamber then there isn't a need to cock the weapon again after changing mags.

If the weapon is electronicaly fed, you don't even need a cocking handle.

Whats the point, is basicly my question :P

rossmum
November 15th, 2006, 12:56 AM
You could have it less unnatually identical... subtle changes in movement, or in a more complex engine you could possibly make the player randomly drop magazines due to stress or whatever.

Dole
November 15th, 2006, 05:44 PM
^ Like I said in the first post, "so MC doesn't look so robotic." And no, being a cyborg doesn't justify monotonous movements. :eyesroll:

Cortexian
November 15th, 2006, 06:05 PM
^ Like I said in the first post, "so MC doesn't look so robotic." And no, being a cyborg doesn't justify monotonous movements. :eyesroll:
What if they came as firmware? ._O

p0lar_bear
November 19th, 2006, 11:21 PM

Proper weapon operation, including stance, readying, and reloading, does. I honestly don't think Marines will spice up their hand movements in active combat. They're shown how to do it by the book, they only teach themselves ways to make it quicker and/or more efficient.

Pooky
November 25th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Proper weapon operation, including stance, readying, and reloading, does. I honestly don't think Marines will spice up their hand movements in active combat. They're shown how to do it by the book, they only teach themselves ways to make it quicker and/or more efficient.

Which most of the Master Chief's movements aren't. Maybe the new CMT maps should have more efficient reloads? *shrugs*