PDA

View Full Version : PC <---> XBox Playability

TheGhost
September 5th, 2006, 10:36 PM
I know someone who is smart and always knows what he's talking about and he's almost absolutely convinced that Halo 2 Vista players will be able to play players on the XBox, assuming nothing goes wrong in the production. He says they have not out right stated this because it cannot be guaranteed, but he's confident that it's one of their top priorities.

Any thoughts on this? While it would certainly make for a larger player pool, I don't know if that would really be necessary. I'm feeling like you could get problems from this, but it might be a good idea.

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
September 5th, 2006, 10:37 PM
I swore I read somewhere that they will NOT be doing this because of the anolog controller - mouse/keyboard thing.

TheGhost
September 5th, 2006, 10:47 PM
At Leipzig people with controllers were playing people using keyboards (all attach to the PC though).

Bungie also played a group of people keyboards vs. controllers and concluded there was no advantage to either, just personal preference and what you're used to.

Zeph
September 5th, 2006, 10:49 PM
I'm pretty sure this wont be happening simply because the netcode is being rewritten for H2V. Not only that, but Bungie has stated many times that it will not be possible. While I'm sure it could be done if someone wants to hack the netcode and work on a translater, which would kill latency most likely, then yeah, it'll work out, but otherwise, definately no.

Stealth
September 5th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I did read some where in one of the Halo 2 Vista updates that you could play Xbox players, but if nothing else, I think that Halo 2 Xbox people will go from Halo 2 Xbox to Halo 2 PC, but I really don't know yet, I think we should talk about this abit more, and wait for Bungie to tell us what they have to say about that.

TheGhost
September 5th, 2006, 11:30 PM
On release date do you think there will be a lot of people on? I know a lot of people are limited by this whole "you need a new operating system to play this game" thing.

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
September 5th, 2006, 11:38 PM
On release date do you think there will be a lot of people on? I know a lot of people are limited by this whole "you need a new operating system to play this game" thing.I doubt it, but once everyone is forced to upgrade there will obviously be more people. I'm still torn wether I should get a dual-monitor setup or if I should keep my money for h2V/Vista.

Zeph
September 5th, 2006, 11:53 PM
On release date do you think there will be a lot of people on? I know a lot of people are limited by this whole "you need a new operating system to play this game" thing.

I dont think it will matter. There should be at least enough to fill at least ten or soo servers. I think the people buying it that soon will be more concerned with mapping on it more than playing an online game.

Zeph
September 5th, 2006, 11:54 PM
I doubt it, but once everyone is forced to upgrade there will obviously be more people. I'm still torn wether I should get a dual-monitor setup or if I should keep my money for h2V/Vista.

Definately wait for H2V/Vista. Monitors will only get better as time goes on. You'll also be more likely to get a higher resolution monitor at the same price later next year as well.

Teroh
September 6th, 2006, 12:09 AM
I don't think it will happen, TBH.

Stealth
September 6th, 2006, 08:33 AM
I say wait for H2V/Vista to come out, then look around for Monitor, you never now what you might find, but I think if you get a multi Media Monitor that will help with the looks, but it is up to you, but any whys, I maybe buy Vista, or I may get it from my dad's work, I don't know yet, but I do know that the Home one, the smallest one is like $150 or something, I'll find the site that tell's me.
Edit | Found it, here you go,

Microsoft's suggested retail pricing: $399 for Windows Vista Ultimate, $299 for Windows Vista Business, $239 for Windows Vista Home Premium, and $199 for Windows Vista Home Basic.
Upgrades to Windows Vista from XP are going to be $259 for Windows Vista Ultimate, $199 for Windows Vista Home Premium, and $99 for Windows Vista Home Basic.

I think I'm going to get the Windows Vista Home Premium, or if I can I'll get the Windows Vista Ultimate, if I save up, I'll have the money to buy Halo 2 and windows Vista when they come out.

Zeph
September 6th, 2006, 03:49 PM
I say wait for H2V/Vista to come out, then look around for Monitor, you never now what you might find, but I think if you get a multi Media Monitor that will help with the looks, but it is up to you, but any whys, I maybe buy Vista, or I may get it from my dad's work, I don't know yet, but I do know that the Home one, the smallest one is like $150 or something, I'll find the site that tell's me.
Edit | Found it, here you go,

I think I'm going to get the Windows Vista Home Premium, or if I can I'll get the Windows Vista Ultimate, if I save up, I'll have the money to buy Halo 2 and windows Vista when they come out.

I've managed to lose my current Windows install disks, and MS is wanting me to pay an outlandish fee to replace them. I said I might as well buy the Vista Ultimate full if that's the case and well, that's what I'm going to do, I guess.

Zenaku213
September 6th, 2006, 04:02 PM
A reason Bungie and XBL probaly would'nt let you play against XBox player is beacuse of XBL. Why should Xbox players have to pay to play the game online while the PC player will not have to?

Stealth
September 6th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Well if you think about it, we pay for Internet right? Well that is our fee we have to pay to Play Halo 2 Vista MP, and for some of us it is up grading to that level of a Computer that can run Vista and Halo 2 Vista.

Zenaku213
September 6th, 2006, 05:17 PM
People who play XBox online also pay for internet now don't they. Besides even if they buy Vista you still had to buy the Xbox Console didn't you?

For example; Adelphia Bill for XBoX - $30 + $6 (Monthly)
Adelphia Bill for H2V - $30

V0Lt4Ge
September 6th, 2006, 10:27 PM
It won't happen, Bungie already said so in one of their updates.

It'd be cool, though.

Stealth
September 6th, 2006, 10:48 PM
ya, but I still think that people who play Halo 2 Xbox will start playing Halo 2 Vista because of the amount of new things that will be in there, and unlike Halo, you can have a Game pad to use.

legionaire45
September 6th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Im pretty sure unless the player is very skill the average console controller gamer would be destroyed by a keyboard based player anyway.

Stealth
September 6th, 2006, 11:56 PM
ya.

Agamemnon
September 9th, 2006, 10:27 PM
One of my most hated questions I get from people really. No, H2V players will not be able to play with Xbox players. Common sense? Yeah. They're changing the values on PC and adding new content. Also:

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=58072

Q: Will Halo 2 Vista players be able to play against Halo 2 Xbox players?

A: No, Halo 2 Vista players will only be able to [play] against Vista owners.

http://www.bungie.net/Games/Halo2Vista/content.aspx?link=Halo2VistaFAQ

Qhttp://www.bungie.net/images/spacer.gifhttp://www.bungie.net/images/spacer.gif
Will Halo 2 Vista players be able to play against Halo 2 Xbox players?
Ahttp://www.bungie.net/images/spacer.gifhttp://www.bungie.net/images/spacer.gif
No, Halo 2 Vista players will only be able to against other Vista owners.

Scott-PL
September 10th, 2006, 04:42 PM
it wont happen
if they can do that then they would have a HUGE market on thier hands

xboxlive = pclive ? not ganna happen

MereCatfish
September 23rd, 2006, 03:04 PM
It won't happen.

Why?

H2V is having a server browser.

H2X has matchmaking.

It won't work practically.

Chewy Gumball
September 23rd, 2006, 03:35 PM
They could change that with a downloadable update for xbox live. They won't though, as they have already said they won't have cross platform play.

Stealth
September 23rd, 2006, 04:30 PM
Ya, if you play their Podcast you'll learn way they wont do Cross platform play, and it is something that is good to not have happen.

Atty
September 24th, 2006, 07:25 AM
H2V is having a server browser.

H2X has matchmaking.

It won't work practically.

Yup. There is no way for bungie to release an update to give H2X a server browser so it could not happen.

itszutak
September 24th, 2006, 10:12 AM
What about a patch for H2V with a MM option? >_>

Agamemnon
September 24th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Match making is dead. Let's hope it stays that way.

Stealth
September 24th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Ya, I've never used Match making, but I like how Halo CE and PC is set up now.