PDA

View Full Version : In the event that you have to pay for Live Anywhere...

Jayden
November 11th, 2006, 12:37 PM
-also posted on GBX and Bungie Maw forums-

Okay, I just want to explore the possibilities on what could happen if Bungie/Microsoft does decide to make you pay for Live Anywhere. Now, when XBL was made, there were alternatives to online play. Basically, you'd play on a huge, emulated LAN, such as XBConnect (http://www.xbconnect.com/)

Firstly, I am interested in whether or not it will happen with Live Anywhere. If you can hack a console, then you can most certainly hack a PC. So I want to guess that a Halo 2 LAN emulator will happen.

More interestingly, what is the effect of this if this does happen? It will split the community up, between those who pay for it and who doesn't, meaning most of the hacker or advanced computer users will be on the emulated LAN, roughly.

Just looking to stir up some thought. I don't neccesarily support a Lan emulator, but I don't want to pay to play online. $50 bucks is quite enough, and if driven to an alternative, I'll take it.

Zeph
November 11th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Live Anywhere and dedicated servers = separate

Agamemnon
November 12th, 2006, 08:33 PM
We still don't know what Live Window's purpose is besides "bringing your friends together!" What if we were forced to do both?

Also, if the two are seperate, then the question is how mature each community will be. I have a feeling that, if given the option to either pay to play or to play for free, more then enough people will go for the free option, thus the dedis will be populated with the scum that was abundantly found on XboxLive.

Then again, what other games will Live Windows utilize besides H2V? :confused:

Random
November 13th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Then again, what other games will Live Windows utilize besides H2V? :confused:

I have a feeling that Live would be for Xbox, windows, and anything that is a part of the Live anywhere thing, 50 bucks for 1 year of all. Shadow run will utilize live windows, I think :eyesroll:

Agamemnon
November 13th, 2006, 05:36 PM
I'm still questioning the point of it though if it's going to cost money. We already have a program that does what Live does for the pc; it's called Xfire, and it's free.

legionaire45
November 16th, 2006, 08:39 PM
I'm still questioning the point of it though if it's going to cost money. We already have a program that does what Live does for the pc; it's called Xfire, and it's free.

Exactly my thoughts. Microsoft has to realize that no one wants this, all that they would be doing is alienating the people without xboxs who dont want to buy one. Hell, by doing this they would be making people want to stay away from any game that uses Live because it will cost money. If it does happen then Crysis/Bioshock FTW.

Edit: Not to mention the modding features they have already pulled like Single Player, they better not charge considering HCE is free and has more powerful modding tools as of this moment.

Stealth
November 16th, 2006, 10:20 PM
some people do, those few who don't know how to get any IM program, or can't because of their moms and dads don't want them to.

demonmaster3k
November 17th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Exactly my thoughts. Microsoft has to realize that no one wants this, all that they would be doing is alienating the people without xboxs who dont want to buy one. Hell, by doing this they would be making people want to stay away from any game that uses Live because it will cost money. If it does happen then Crysis/Bioshock FTW.

Edit: Not to mention the modding features they have already pulled like Single Player, they better not charge considering HCE is free and has more powerful modding tools as of this moment.
i agree with you the evil empire interferes with destiny once again
in recent news reports, evil emperor Bill Gates is planning to posin NYC's water supply with windows 98

bottom line: STOP PULLING STUFF FROM US PCERS AND LET HIRED GUN DO THEIR JOB (bungie's just overseers for h2v)

another thing that would be nice would to see an xbox and pc halo release simotameously (like that's ever going to happen)

and just a correction: CRYSIS is going to be made by EA GAMES, the company that made bf2142

legionaire45
November 18th, 2006, 08:18 PM
some people do, those few who don't know how to get any IM program, or can't because of their moms and dads don't want them to.

then they can get live anywhere, but forcing us to pay for a service is simply going to make people go for another game. If Microsoft is smart what they will do is make Live Anywhere integrate into H2V but make it an option and not a requirement.