PDA

View Full Version : Looking at possibly upgrading my processor

Revord
June 26th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I currently have an AMD Opteron 144 which is a Socket 939. Im looking at the Athlon 64 x2 which is also a Socket 939.

Question is: Do I have to go to XP Pro 64, or can I continue to use the 32 bit version? Im not necessarily looking to be able to use the 64 bit technology yet, but its coming, so I was figuring on getting started.
Revord

InnerGoat
June 26th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Your OS will be fine.

Patrickssj6
June 26th, 2007, 02:33 PM
X2 works on 32-bit (X86) and 64-bit.

My comp is the "living" proof. :)

Chronos
June 26th, 2007, 02:42 PM
X2 works on 32-bit (X86) and 64-bit.

My comp is the "living" proof. :)
All thanks to that one little file, Hal.dll !
So yes it will work fine !

Revord
June 26th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Thats good to know. I say this because of 2 reasons.
1. This is what Im looking at:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103052

I dont want to upgrade everything, just the processor, and perhaps later on the graphics card. (A sucky ATI Radeon 9250 AGP)

2. I had this convo with a Microsoft Support guy. Dont laugh too hard, I dont want to be responsible for anyone getting hurt ;P

2:03:43 PM System
Initial Question/Comment: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
2:03:53 PM System
Kumar has joined this session!
2:03:53 PM System
Connected with Kumar
2:04:09 PM Kumar
Thank you for joining me in Microsoft Chat Support. My name is Kumar and I'll be happy to help you. How are you today?
2:04:13 PM Scot Henk
Good
2:04:33 PM Kumar
I'm very glad to hear that. Would it be all right with you if I address you as Scot ?
2:04:37 PM Scot

Sure
2:05:13 PM Kumar
Ok, Scot . To ensure I am able to give you the most efficient service possible, I need to ask you a number of questions which will help me identify your issue and assist you with a resolution. In addition, it will allow me to recontact you should our interaction become disconnected for any reason.
2:05:23 PM Scot

ok
2:05:58 PM Kumar
May I confirm your case ID number and your email address? Case ID: Email Address: revord@.net
2:06:09 PM Scot

correct
2:06:48 PM Kumar
I will also require your telephone number with the area code, please.
2:07:01 PM Scot

253--
2:08:48 PM Kumar
May I have your alternate phone number please? It would be really very useful for us to contact you in future regarding this case.
2:09:08 PM Scot

I dont have another phone number
2:10:23 PM Kumar
All right, if we need to contact you by phone regarding this issue, do you have a two hour time slot which would be most convenient for us to call you back? Also please provide me with the time zone of the location where you are.
2:10:53 PM Scot

anytime between 12 pm and 9pm pacific time
2:11:23 PM Kumar
Have you contacted us here at Microsoft regarding this issue in the past?
2:11:28 PM Scot

no
2:11:48 PM Kumar
Thank you very much. It will take me a few moments to look up your case information. I will be back with you shortly.
2:15:43 PM Kumar
From your case notes, I understand that you would like to know whether you need to upgrade to Windows XP Pro-64 bit, when you uprgade your Microprocessor. Is it right?
2:15:52 PM Scot

correct
2:16:38 PM Kumar
Which of the Windows Operating Systems is installed on your computer, Vista or XP?
2:16:48 PM Scot

XP professional
2:17:18 PM Kumar
Is it Windows XP Pro - 32 bit?
2:17:23 PM Scot

yes
2:17:38 PM Kumar
Thank you. Was your computer already installed with the Microsoft Windows software you are currently using or did you upgrade yourself?
2:18:13 PM Scot

I built the computer myself, and installed Windows myself as well
2:19:08 PM Kumar
Is Windows XP, a retail version or OEM copy?
2:19:37 PM Scot

I think retail. I got it as a gratuity for doing a playtest for Microsoft
2:22:58 PM Kumar
Please give me few minutes, so that I will check with my resources to get your doubt cleared.
2:26:58 PM Kumar
Thank you for being on line. Please note that when you upgrade the Microprocessor of your system from 32-bit to 36-bit, then 32 bit Operating system will not support 64 bit
2:29:03 PM Scot

Im sorry, your last message wasnt clear. Did you mean to say that the 32 bit os will not support the 64 bit Processor?
2:30:17 PM Kumar
Yes
2:30:38 PM Kumar
Is your system a Desktop or Laptop?
2:30:58 PM Scot

Desktop. Would the processor still function in 32 bit mode, or not at all?
2:33:55 PM Kumar
Please note that 32-bit Operating System will support 32-bit Microprocessor.
2:35:11 PM Scot

So it xp 32 bit would not work at all with a 64 bit processor?
2:37:30 PM Kumar
Yes. You have to purchase a 64-bit version of the Operating system and do a clean Installation, while upgrading from 32-bit Microprocessor to 64 bit Microprocessor.
2:38:28 PM Scot

ok, Is Microsoft still selling XP 64? or is it totally vista now?
2:39:10 PM Kumar
We do sell Windows XP-64 bit version.
2:40:06 PM Scot

ok, I think that about answers all my questions for now
2:40:15 PM Kumar
We do have a separate department from where you can order a 64-bit version of the Windows XP operating system.
2:41:04 PM Kumar
You can contact our Order Desk Department at 1-800-360-7561.
2:41:31 PM Scot

Ok, thank you. I appreciate it.
2:42:15 PM Kumar
Is there any thing else I can assist you with?
2:42:43 PM Scot

No that should be about it for me.
2:43:10 PM Kumar
Did you find this session to be helpful?
2:43:32 PM Scot

yes I did
2:43:40 PM Kumar
Are you completely satisfied with the support provided by me?
2:44:33 PM Scot

Yes I am
2:44:40 PM Kumar
With your permission, can I go ahead and close this case as Resolved?
2:45:04 PM Scot

Sure
2:45:40 PM Kumar
I am glad that you found our session to be helpful. Your satisfaction with Microsoft is very important to us. Thank you for being a valued Microsoft customer.
2:45:50 PM Scot

Thank you
2:46:00 PM Kumar
Well Scot, it’s been my pleasure to assist you on this issue today and I will send you an e-mail summary of our chat session for your records.
2:48:20 PM Kumar
Once again, thank you for choosing Microsoft and for giving us the opportunity to assist you. It has been a pleasure working with you today. I will be sending you an email shortly with a summary of our chat session for your records. If you would like to provide us with feedback on how you feel our service was today, please forward it to the Manager at the contact information provided in the email. All the best to you and enjoy the remainder of your day.

As you can see, a most frustrating conversation, esp. since I had worked 10½ hours the night prior to this conversation.

So thank you for the input. If anyone has any tips or insight on some roadblocks I may come up against in getting this to work (I dont forsee any) please respond.

legionaire45
June 26th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Wait, he said that you have to upgrade to 64 bit? That flat out isn't true. You can use an x86 (32 bit) version of windows on any Athlon 64 CPU, which includes the X2. You can run both the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions of XP on that CPU.

And at this point it is better to spend your money on Vista.

Revord
June 26th, 2007, 11:17 PM
lol, thats what I was thinking, but I hadnt found anywhere that specifically verified it. Unfortunately, 45 min later, and a great degree of frustration, I decided that he didnt know what he was talking about. My question wasnt found in any of the scripts that he had available to him. Anyhow. Hopefully Ill be getting that processor pretty soon.
Revord

Warsaw
June 26th, 2007, 11:18 PM
As a side note, Windows XP 64-bit equals crap. Hardly any driver support for it, and nothing out there to take advantage of it.

Chronos
June 27th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Thats good to know. I say this because of 2 reasons.
1. This is what Im looking at:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103052

I dont want to upgrade everything, just the processor, and perhaps later on the graphics card. (A sucky ATI Radeon 9250 AGP)

2. I had this convo with a Microsoft Support guy. Dont laugh too hard, I dont want to be responsible for anyone getting hurt ;P

I'd say stick to that processor that you posted man, it'll certainly work well.. But not forever, ultimately you might have to consider upgrading your motherboard to one that supports either an Intel socket (T/757). If you're quite the AMD fan, then consider one with an AM2 socket.

As for the graphics card.. on an AGP motherboard the best card available, for me, would be a Radeon X 1950 XT (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814241049), if you're willing to spend such an amount of cash that is.. Plus it's a big card, it might struggle getting into your case.

About Windows XP not supporting a 64-bit processor.
It will run XP just fine, 64-bit processors can run 32-bit applications without any trouble, at all..

Well hope this helps a bit man..
Chronos

Revord
June 27th, 2007, 11:08 AM
It does help quite a bit. I was thinking of this for a graphics card:http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814150174. While that Radeon is nice looking, Im not so sure I want to try to wrestle that monster into my case o.O Im upgrading this comp so itll be at least semi-relevant for a while longer, but later on, Im going to build another one, and that one is going to be nice. But thats a couple of years out. First I need to focus on buying a house, and that is going to take the time and money first.

Chronos
June 27th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Well.. That graphics card is alright.. I've been looking at some reviews and well.. See for yourself.

Your card is the one in the light blue color.
http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/inno3d_7900gs/images/benchmarks_fear_max.gif

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/inno3d_7900gs/images/benchmarks_prey.gif

And now for the ultimate test.. TES IV:Oblivion.
http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/inno3d_7900gs/images/benchmarks_oblivion.gif
-Self shadowing and grass shadows were turned off during these benchmarks.
- The benchmarks with AA means that AA was turned on with Bloom lightning settings

Well other than the bad performance when playing oblivion on the highest settings, you can say that this is a really good graphics card.

Thought you might find this interesting :)

Chronos

Revord
June 27th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing that! Trying to give you some +rep for your input. Not letting me yet. Ill do it later though :D

Chronos
June 27th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing that! Trying to give you some +rep for your input. Not letting me yet. Ill do it later though :D
Heh hey thanks man! :D