PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying an ultraportable (3rd PC)

Mr Buckshot
July 1st, 2007, 10:39 PM
First off, no comments about "desktops > laptops" because I already own a high-end desktop as my main gaming rig.

So, I also own a laptop (Intel Pentium M 770 2.13Ghz Centrino, 1 GB DDR2, Geforce Go 6600, 80 GB 7200 rpm HDD). The IB program has a lot of projects that encourage me to transport a computer to school because I don't wish to use the school's shitty Windows 98 PCs that don't support many of the stuff I use.

However, I have to carry the laptop in a separate carrying case because it's a 15.4" beast that won't fit into my backpack. I'm sick and tired of people constantly approaching me asking to see my laptop (a very nice silver Cyberpower) because they can see the carrying case. Plus, I run the risk of gangsters attacking me to steal my laptop. When I do get the laptop set up, there are so many idiots (wait, IB has idiots?) asking to play with my laptop because it is a powerful gaming beast, after all. I'm a nice guy so I do let some people have a go with Steam games and the like, but I don't like it.

So my plan is to buy an ultraportable laptop in the 12" and smaller category (those can fit in my backpack with all my IB textbooks). Some notes:

I do NOT need super processing power. I already own 2 computers that do that. Besides, it's an ultraportable, and most laptops of that size aren't powerful.
I'm NOT gaming on this. I'm using this to store data, hook up to classroom projectors, etc. Therefore, Intel GMA 950 and other integrated video cards are fine.
I still want to have an ExpressCard slot, built-in optical drive, and those ports that connect to projectors and TV's. Therefore those UMPC's are out of the question.
I'm running Windows XP on this because Vista, in its early stage is still incompatible with a lot of software that I may need. Therefore, slower CPUs and 512 MB of RAM are completely acceptable.
If possible, I'd like a thin, sleek, and sexy ultraportable
Budget is $2000. I'm running low on resources and I don't feel good asking my parents. Any suggestions? I'm looking at the Sony VAIO TZ (http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3780) and Lenovo 3000 V200 (http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/lenovo-3000-v200/4505-3121_7-32462797.html?tag=lst) - those any good?

Also, Dell is a no-no. Their XPS M1210 is very impressive (the only ultraportable to feature a dedicated video card, the Geforce 7400) but Dell has so many problems it's not even funny.

Xetsuei
July 1st, 2007, 11:28 PM
ASUS S6F-3013P ($1998.99) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220042)

Mr Buckshot
July 2nd, 2007, 03:53 PM
Wow, the ASUS even has an 8-in-1 card reader whereas my gaming notebook has a 4-in-1 :|

Bookmarked that page, worth a purchase but I'll look for other options. 100 GB 5400rpm hard drive and the dual layer DVD drive all in an 11" widescreen package? Awesome, that's all I can say.

I've seen some ultraportables in the 10" factor but those are a tad too expensive.