PDA

View Full Version : Promeatheus Update #7

Nick
July 2nd, 2007, 09:36 AM
Less than half a day old, get it while it's fresh!

Prometheus Update #7 (http://main.halodev.org/articles/prometheus-update-7)

Nick

SgtBotley
July 2nd, 2007, 09:53 AM
if i ever met you on the street Nick, i'd lovingly rape you.

DaneO'Roo
July 2nd, 2007, 09:59 AM
as I said at gearbox. The shader changes are amazing. Plus this looks really really swift and easy to use.

ImSpartacus
July 2nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
wow, i was thinking paragraph and a half when i heard update, but that was a lot of stuff

Chronos
July 2nd, 2007, 10:07 AM
Hey is that Office 2007 layout I see there?
.. Well it does look like it..

Very nice work by the way :D

CtrlAltDestroy
July 2nd, 2007, 10:10 AM
Question: Will you still be able to decompile scripts in BSL?

rec0
July 2nd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Scripts will only decompile to PSL.

CtrlAltDestroy
July 2nd, 2007, 10:14 AM
Ah, ok. Thanks. :D

BTW, great work guys.

Con
July 2nd, 2007, 10:14 AM
Nick, this was a welcomed surprise this morning. I'm so glad to see how far it has come. Not only the appearance, but the new features are amazing! Do you ever think that Prometheus will support H2V map making?

Nick
July 2nd, 2007, 10:24 AM
Full Halo 2 Xbox and Vista support is most certainly a goal, as it has always been. Right now, the implementation of Halo 1 support is far, far more advanced than Halo 2. However, the time spent redesigning core pieces of Prometheus has resulted in easier implementation of multiple games support - basically, it will be easier to work Halo 2 support in than it was to build the initial Halo 1 support.

As always, I am not promising any dates, but I will say that Halo 2 support is something we're working on and we will show it when it is ready. We do want to completely finish Halo 1's implementation before really diving into full Halo 2 support, though.

Nick

Con
July 2nd, 2007, 10:27 AM
Of course, can't go rushing off in H2 when the H1 aspect isn't finished. That sounds really good! I think so far, my favourite feature would have to be the real-time shader adjustment. That just sounds awesome, and it will help immensely and cut tons of time out of the process.

SgtBotley
July 2nd, 2007, 10:44 AM
hmmm, have you thought about releasing a 'locked' or 'limited' edition like taster of when you finish Halo 1 tools, like Prom' 1, then when you finish the Halo 2 Tools release Prom' 2.

but i guess that'll be too much hassle and an all in one app is pretty sweet anyway - just a suggestion

kenney001
July 2nd, 2007, 10:59 AM
Not too sure i like the new scripting language, besically because i know very little on C#. I found bsl very easy to use, and this looks more difficult

thehoodedsmack
July 2nd, 2007, 11:03 AM
Neato! Great Work, Nick. +rep!

Patrickssj6
July 2nd, 2007, 11:27 AM
Not too sure i like the new scripting language, besically because i know very little on C#. I found bsl very easy to use, and this looks more difficult
It's BSL in C# form.None of those function really exist like this in C# :)

I must say...wow...the biggest thing that impressed me was the UI which I always loved from Office '07 and the scripting engine.

I think that it's also very nice that you can edit shaders and see a near-game result right on your screen...so you can tweak and mess with it around without compiling a whole new map...or loading up Sapien :)

Offspring
July 2nd, 2007, 01:29 PM
damn i never really knew what this project was about but its really caught my attention now...

Hunter
July 2nd, 2007, 02:05 PM
looks fucking awsome

my fucking PC is fucked, read this topic and help me please

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-xp-support/165093-my-pc-everything-gone.html#post963576

TheGhost
July 2nd, 2007, 02:20 PM
Amazing work to the entire team. This is looking absolutely magnificent.

Hotrod
July 2nd, 2007, 02:38 PM
This is looking amazing. It will most definatly replace all my modding programs once it comes out. I'm glad to see that this is still on the road to release.

ExAm
July 2nd, 2007, 04:06 PM
Now that oughtta show 'em.

Limited
July 2nd, 2007, 08:56 PM
My god, that UI is gorgeous. Totally love the new UI. I felt the old UI was less user friendly and as Prom has been made to make map making alot more easier didnt really fit the bill. But now it seems to look alot more easier to use and more slick.

The more halo technical side of things with shaders and such puzzles me a bit, however the viewport render looks amazing.

I kind of like the fact the updates are far apart, it means when there is one, alot has changed and is well worth reading.

OmegaDragon
July 2nd, 2007, 10:08 PM
O_o Wow... thats alot of improvement since last time.

Pretty nice improvement from this (http://main.halodev.org/system/files/images/prom-05-01-2005-02.jpg)

MereCatfish
July 3rd, 2007, 04:07 AM
Very good job, the implementation of the Ribbon UI looks very impressive. And you've rewritten it OO now? I recall someone saying previously that it was very messy code before, well done if that isn't the case any more.

p0lar_bear
July 3rd, 2007, 12:47 PM
Anticipating this release more now.

I do hope that PSL will be as easy to pick up as BSL.

Nick
July 3rd, 2007, 05:32 PM
First and foremost, I am glad that everyone loves - or at least likes - the UI. Changing from the old UI to the new UI meant throwing out everything (that was UI related) and redoing it from scratch. Since those who had built up the majority of the old UI had more important tasks to do, I moved from making my UI designs in Visio to making them in Visual Studio. Most of the UI work you've seen (and a whole lot that you have yet to see) was done by me, so it's great to see it going over well.

hmmm, have you thought about releasing a 'locked' or 'limited' edition like taster of when you finish Halo 1 tools, like Prom' 1, then when you finish the Halo 2 Tools release Prom' 2.Each game "lives" in its own DLL and is not required for Prometheus to run. We could, technically release with any desired number of games supported - from zero to six (though zero would make Prometheus pretty useless). We have not decided precisely what we are going to do yet, so there's a chance a Halo 1-only version of Prometheus could be released and updated later to support Halo 2; however, holding your breath on that happening is highly discouraged.

Not too sure i like the new scripting language, besically because i know very little on C#. I found bsl very easy to use, and this looks more difficultIt's natural to be uncertain about the unknown, which was certainly the case when anyone used BSL for the first time. You most certainly do not have to be a programmer for PSL to make sense to you, but for someone with experience in C-based languages (especially C#), the amount of unknowns will be less than non-programmers.

Also, working on the assumption that you are not a programmer, I am betting you have never used an environment like Visual Studio in the past. The code editor will go a long way in helping newcomers pickup how PSL works and it will make accessing all kinds of information much easier. No longer will you have to lookup what a function does, that is displayed for you, along with what parameters are taken, what is returned back to you, and what alternative information you can provide the function.

One of the additions to PSL that I really love is namespaces, as it makes everything feel so much more organized. We have mapped all of the built-in functions to namespaces, arranging them to make sense and allowing you to "walk through" the namespace lists to quickly find some functionality that you are looking for. You can also create your own name spaces, which will make it easy to logically group your own functions and more easily reuse them in other scripts.

This update really only showed the very tip of the PSL iceberg. As more information trickles out, I am pretty confident that any concerns about the difficulty of picking up and using PSL will subside quite quickly. Also, I think that those already proficient with scripting or programming in general will be very happy to see some of the improvements we've made and the cool features we've added.

I kind of like the fact the updates are far apart, it means when there is one, alot has changed and is well worth reading.Updates will still be far apart, for the most part. The new approach means that everybody gets a big update that summarizes all of the interesting stuff we've done since the previous update, then all of those interested in finding out more about each piece discussed in the update will get Feature Focus articles that will dive into functionality, design decisions, etc. Basically, we still have a chance to build up Prometheus before showing it off again, so the updates will still be worth the read.

Pretty nice improvement from this (http://main.halodev.org/system/files/images/prom-05-01-2005-02.jpg)I prefer the comparison between this (http://main.halodev.org/system/files/images/prom-03-20-2005-01.jpg) and this (http://main.halodev.org/system/files/images/prom-07-01-2007-03.jpg).

Edit: Now with actual links!

And you've rewritten it OO now? I recall someone saying previously that it was very messy code before, well done if that isn't the case any more.I wouldn't say our code was ever "messy", in fact we've always done our best to adhere to best practices and the standard C# style guidelines. Also, our code has always been OO.

With that said, all of the redesigns and freshly written code in the past year are far superior to the old architecture. Old Prometheus was the cute girl next door, but new Prometheus is the hot swimsuit model down the block. I think that's a fitting summer analogy.

Thanks for the support guys, it's always great to see people excited about what you're slaving away at.

Nick

PlasbianX
July 3rd, 2007, 06:43 PM
The screen shot looks like its running on vista, will this also work in XP?

Nick
July 3rd, 2007, 06:47 PM
Yes, it will work just fine on XP. I'll include an XP shot next time, as it looks slightly different.

Nick

Snaver
July 3rd, 2007, 07:06 PM
Great work halodev team.. all.. err.. How many of you are there now? :D

Kornman00
July 5th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Also, our code has always been OO.

Nick
:lmao:

AAA
July 5th, 2007, 09:52 PM
:lmao:

I don't get it. Anyway,

This is awesome, Nick ^_^!

I have to honestly say though, I know very little about Promentheus. I know about it's features and things, but I don't know how it functions. Is this exactly like HMT only more expanded in games, content, and graphics? Are we allowed to open a .map file and start doing things such as mod (I know people hate that, but I'm just wondering if this would be a possibility to a program such as this) and make maps more easily? after you're done modding or changing things. How would you go about saving your changes? Click save changes and tada? or would it make a new map file and place it to the designated save point?

SEXY prettiness btw

p0lar_bear
July 6th, 2007, 12:12 AM
I don't get it. Anyway,

OO = Object-Oriented; languages like C++, C#, and Java use objects to deliver robust and organized programming. Languages like BASIC are not OO, and can get VERY messy.

As for the joke, I believe there was some huge battle over what Prometheus should have been coded in between the whole team and one team member a long time ago; read the history and the team profiles.

I know very little about Promentheus.

To save Nick the trouble, read: http://main.halodev.org/prometheus/faqs

In a nutshell, it's tool+guerilla+sapien combined with features to make mapmaking easier. This is not a modding app per se; it is a content creation suite.

Roostervier
July 7th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Wow, that UI is gorgeous. I like the idea of on the spot shader modifying and viewing, that will make up for 1/4 of the time I usually spend on things (I spend a lot of time though, so 1/4 is a lot =p). Congratulations on the new update, it looks fantastic.

Apoc4lypse
July 10th, 2007, 05:13 PM
wow, prometheus is definately maturing into a much more sophisticated and easier to use package of the current HEK, or even better.

:awesome: amazing work

=sw=warlord
October 12th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Is it done yet?

Kornman00
October 12th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Nah, they're busy adding support for Halo5

Siliconmaster
October 12th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Lmao wow guys

jcap
October 13th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Does this support gentoo?

Zeph
October 13th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Is it done yet?
Yeah, you miss the launch?

=sw=warlord
October 16th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Nah, they're busy adding support for Halo5
Don't you mean Halo 6?
http://kornnersoftware.com/images/boner.png

Kornman00
October 16th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Nah, as it turns out, 343i and Halo will tank before then

STLRamsFan
October 16th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I've been wondering, what ever become of Nick or even rec0? Just feels like they fell off the earth without a trace.

Zeph
October 16th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Pretty sure Nick wound up doing something QA wise with Microsoft after a 'bunch of freelance'. No clue what he's doing now though.

Kornman00
October 16th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I talk to him on AIM every now and then; he's still at MS.

Limited
October 16th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Does he still drive a Lexus?

t3h m00kz
October 17th, 2012, 12:50 AM
I talk to him on AIM every now and then; he's still at MS.

Surprised I haven't run in to him.

Being the CEO and all.. you know.

Rosco
October 17th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I've been wondering, what ever become of Nick or even rec0? Just feels like they fell off the earth without a trace.

rec0's probably filthy rich or on his way, haha

leorimolo
October 17th, 2012, 11:50 AM
What did prometheus promise 5-6 years ago that everyone is still wetting their pants about it.

InnerGoat
October 17th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I talk to him on AIM every now and then; he's still at MS.oh so he's the one to blame for windows 8

where is rec0

Zeph
October 17th, 2012, 01:32 PM
What did prometheus promise 5-6 years ago that everyone is still wetting their pants about it.
It was Sapien with Guerilla and Tool integrated inside. Not only that, but it worked with CE as an intermediary format so you could wind up with things going to PC/xbox with a single click.

t3h m00kz
October 17th, 2012, 09:23 PM
and like many CE projects, it never saw completion because IT WAS TOO GOOD OF AN IDEA

t3h m00kz
October 18th, 2012, 11:10 PM
WHAT NO WAY ARE YOU KIDDING BRO?