PDA

View Full Version : Fuck you and your PC problems.

rossmum
July 4th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Just so you know, today we had 2 powerouts within a few minutes of each other. When I turned my PC on afterwards, there was a slight burning smell eminating from the region of the rear PSU fan and absolutely zero airflow. Me being as paranoid as I am, I shut it off, put my hand on the side of the case (yes, it was very warm), and left it to cool with the side panel off while I watched Blackhawk Down (again - good movie). When I came back 3 hours later, I vacuumed the fans out (all of them), fiddled with the PSU fan, and fired it back up. It is now running perfectly.

Now here's the funny/me gloating bit:

My PC, for the most part, is 6 years old.

My Windows drive is one of the original 40GB Seagates, and has been in constant use for nearly 8 years (several hours almost every day for the last 4). My other HDD is a 160GB WD which has been under the same strain for about 4 years. The entire mobo/CPU assembly was originally in dad's PC until it burned out, and he then bought a new one (faster, too) while it was being repaired. I then swapped out my aging P2 233MHz for the repaired 1.5GHz P4 (one of the very first released), and scavenged parts from several other old PCs (some dating back 10 years or more). The only component that has been repaced in the last 6 years was the video card (swapped an MX420 64MB for a used FX5200 128MB). Aside from my last PSU copping it during a power surge, I have never experienced any serious problems with my PC.

It's slow as fuck, but it's supremely reliable. I guess I can't complain when my 'shitbox' outlasts all my friends' brand-new beasts :)

Anyone else got ancient PCs which still run as well as they did the day you bought/assembled them?

MNC
July 4th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Actually, I do. I've got the same one I got in 2002 I think... The thing is, I never upgraded the thing :lol: Still works like a charm.
I had to switch HDDs one time though, I've got an 80GB in it. I still hate the fact I didn't backup all of my stuff, so I lost all my models I was a bit proud of. And sometimes, it tends to act up and give me a boot failure, but that was just something being reset in the BIOS, somehow.

mR_r0b0to
July 4th, 2007, 04:14 AM
i have a computer that was from 1998 or so.
still works fine.
4GB HDD

Kalub
July 4th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Yup, this beast:
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/5503/2007041612653qp6.jpg
It currently runs a WoW private server.

Syuusuke
July 4th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Hey I have one of that at some basement...I think it's using Win98 =F

Emmzee
July 4th, 2007, 07:39 AM
I've got one of the first Pentiums running Windows 3.1, and it's been working for at least 12 years now.

Patrickssj6
July 4th, 2007, 08:24 AM
I dismantled my old comp...2 years ago.

My PC which is 1 year old never let me down. :)

Skyline
July 4th, 2007, 08:28 AM
I was still using my 6-7 year old computer for gaming, never broke on me. I still use it to play games cause I can't install some on vista.

someone
July 4th, 2007, 08:34 AM
I've got one that was the best pc from 1996. Here are the original specs.:

Intel Celeron 466 MHz
64 Mb of ram
10 gb HDD
3dfx voodoo 3 32 Mb graphics card

Me and my family were using it, until we bought a new one in 2003.:p
It has only been updated once: I've added more ram(up to 640 mb!!!111) and installed a DVD-rom.:D
It's currently using win XP pro SP2:p

Kelzorz
July 4th, 2007, 08:43 AM
i still have a mac from 1980-somthin' i dont use it but it still works just fine its not that slow (:omfg:) all i keep it for is that it is an "Antiek" or however you spell that. it is an :eekdance: though.

InnerGoat
July 4th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Oldest box around here http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=547

And this, with its Intel DX2 or whatever it was, running at 40mhzhttp://www.h2vista.net/innergoat/stuff/dr/no%20u/T1950CT.jpg

Then we have a P2 300mhz, but thats nothing interesting. Just has like 320mb of its slow ram, 6GB HDD, and a riva TNT2.

cls
July 4th, 2007, 08:58 AM
The instruction manual says this computer is five years old, and the only thing I ever had to replace is the CPU fan. Now too stop being lazy and upgrade the ram on this thing.

Rob Oplawar
July 4th, 2007, 11:52 AM
I've still got my original iPod:

http://www.spacebrick.net/pictures/blog_gallery/old_ipod.jpg

Atty
July 4th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I don't have any old ones running, all the ones in our house are pretty new (less then a year.)

All my old computers got nuked when we moved, I didn't want to lug them so I filled them with fireworks and blew 'em up.

Varmint260
July 4th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Way to go, Atty!

My family's old Win95 computer with a Pentium 166MHz is still running! 32MB of RAM, a 2mb or 4mb video card of unknown make/model, 52x CD-ROM drive (that's the only thing that ever gave grief was the original 16x CD-ROM drive, so we replaced it). It's been running since Win95 originally came out. Plus, it can play some games that this 6-year old Dell can't... of course, that's probably some incompatibility issues (I have two games that say they'll only run on a Pentium with MMX Technology??).

This 6-year-old Dell is still running the way it did in 2001 with the exception of the Radeon 9250 that I got a couple years ago. I just couldn't take the Intel 82845G any more... I bet if I disabled the Radeon, though, then I could make the ol' Intel run. Then I'd be back to running Halo on worse than FF graphics :)

Mr Buckshot
July 4th, 2007, 01:49 PM
My oldest computer is a 1998 desktop (first computer I personally owned for myself). The CRT monitor got trashed when we moved to Canada. It's got a 200Mhz Pentium II, 64 MB of RAM, and a 20 GB hard drive. By the way, this computer lagged on Half-Life 1 (I think the video card was an 8 MB ATI Rage).

It's currently being used as a server in my dad's office 0_O.

legionaire45
July 4th, 2007, 02:55 PM
http://www.everymac.com/images/cpu_pictures/apple_quadra_650.gif
Somewhere in my garage, in non-working shape. 33 mhz of rawr power amirite? (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_quadra/stats/mac_quadra_650.html)

Warsaw
July 4th, 2007, 07:52 PM
My oldest box that is still being used right now is a dark purple (almost black) Acer computer running one of the first generation Pentium I CPUs and an integrated 32-bit graphics solution. It has a 13" monitor and is currently acting as the house server running Windows NT 4.0. It has two CD drives: the one that it came with, and the one that we installed a year later (1997) to make it read faster. We have a few even older ones, but they are just collecting dust at the moment.

stunt_man
July 6th, 2007, 01:19 PM
@Kalub: Is that a PPC? I think I have the same one, still runs perfectly!

Kornman00
July 6th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Refurbished Dell GX110
1.0ghx P3
Win2k
I think I upgraded the ram from 512 to 1gb about a year ago
128mb PCI Xtasy (ATI based)

Its been (re)active since 2000 or 2001 (my dad handed it down to me). Its what I used to do all my development and halopc\ce gaming on. Still runs good last I checked

But now I have a pimped out MacBook Pro

Cortexian
July 6th, 2007, 05:06 PM
All my computers run like the day I assembled them, I take care of my PC's.