Neuro Guro
July 5th, 2007, 01:42 PM
-

IPBJT!
July 5th, 2007, 01:42 PM
:awesome:

Warsaw
July 5th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Impressive. My only gripe is that the visor is a little too gold.

Also, the graphics look a lot like Doom 3's graphics. I know it's a different engine, but it's eerie how similar the style is.

Atty
July 5th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Warsaw, I believe you are griping about the real time reflections causing his Visor to appear more gold then it really is.

TIA Gangsta
July 5th, 2007, 02:31 PM
It's definately an improvement from the Multiplayer, but it doesn't satisfy me.
Until I see the biped just like, or better than the E3 Trailer, then I'll be dissappointed.
Bungie had a responsibility with showing that trailer and presenting it as running straight off the 360, and from that, if the game doesn't look that good, everyone will always be left with the thought that their game could have looked a lot better.
I for one would feel a bit ripped off after that E3 Trailer, just like Halo 2.

By the way, I'm not saying I don't appreciate that pic, it does look good, but I'm just hoping for an improvement to something like the E3 Trailer.
In that pic, the armour looks dull.

Zeph
July 5th, 2007, 02:37 PM
It's definately an improvement from the Multiplayer, but it doesn't satisfy me.
Until I see the biped just like, or better than the E3 Trailer, then I'll be dissappointed.
Bungie had a responsibility with showing that trailer and presenting it as running straight off the 360, and from that, if the game doesn't look that good, everyone will always be left with the thought that their game could have looked a lot better.
I for one would feel a bit ripped off after that E3 Trailer, just like Halo 2.

By the way, I'm not saying I don't appreciate that pic, it does look good, but I'm just hoping for an improvement to something like the E3 Trailer.
In that pic, the armour looks dull.

I'm assuming you're talking about the halo 3 teaser trailer from the last E3. There are several improvements I see in that screenshot over that teaser.

Archon23
July 5th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Hmmmm if the visor wasn't that gold that would actually be better than the E3 trailer MC IMO.

TIA Gangsta
July 5th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about the halo 3 teaser trailer from the last E3. There are several improvements I see in that screenshot over that teaser.

Like what?
The armour still looks like plastic, while the teaser trailer actually looked like metal, and the light reflection seemed a lot better.

Terry
July 5th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Something tells me it was just the environment that made it look that way.

Those graphics are almost photorealistic...wow.

Rosco
July 5th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Like what?
The armour still looks like plastic, while the teaser trailer actually looked like metal, and the light reflection seemed a lot better.

Too bad in a deep, cloudy foresty landscape you dont get much sun :downs:

Dole
July 5th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Wow, sure came a long way from the last campaign screenshot. Hey, have we yet found out what the LED counter on the side of the AR's carapace is for?

No, I see what he's saying. He's on the top of a hill right out under the open sun, and some of the bumps look like melting plastic.
However, like I said before, it's a big imporvement on this. (http://www.bungie.net/images/games/halo3/screenshots/sm_H3_MasterChief.jpg)

teh lag
July 5th, 2007, 04:33 PM
For some reason the clouds on the right side look really off to me. Don't know why though.

Hey, have we yet found out what the LED counter on the side of the AR's carapace is for?

Heat meter maybe? Remaining... power...? I unno.

Boba
July 5th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Hey, have we yet found out what the LED counter on the side of the AR's carapace is for?
A power switch? <_< It's probably just cosmetic.

Dole
July 5th, 2007, 04:40 PM
1. For some reason the clouds on the right side look really off to me. Don't know why though.

2. Heat meter maybe? Remaining... power...? I unno.
1. They're essentially an outline that's colored in, and it's comparatively low-detail next to everything else in the frame.
2. I always figured it was battery life for the flashlight and the ammo counter, but how would they incorporate that into gameplay? Change batteries every fifteen minutes?

Warsaw
July 5th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Wow, sure came a long way from the last campaign screenshot. Hey, have we yet found out what the LED counter on the side of the AR's carapace is for?

If you look closely you'll see that it is shaped like the "On" button symbol that you see on most modern electronic devices. It's probably for turning the weapon's computer on or off.

Veegie
July 5th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Warsaw, I believe you are griping about the real time reflections causing his Visor to appear more gold then it really is.
Those aren't real time reflections.
They're dynamic cubemaps being used as a placeholder until RTR is stable and finalized.

Warsaw
July 5th, 2007, 05:08 PM
And even if they were Real Time Reflections, they still wouldn't be that bright. They should be roughly the same color as an astronaut's visor.

Dole
July 5th, 2007, 09:18 PM
If you look closely you'll see that it is shaped like the "On" button symbol that you see on most modern electronic devices. It's probably for turning the weapon's computer on or off.
If I was talking about the button on the side of the forearm grip, I would've said that. :rolleyes:
Besides, the only people who hadn't caught onto that by the time Starry Night came out weren't very observant to begin with.

No, I was talking about this thing (it's on the other side of the carapace, also):

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/3940/wiggamajigay1.jpg

Warsaw
July 5th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Maybe it's like the "working" light on your PC, or a power indicator. Maybe, it's just there to look cool.

Archon23
July 5th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Its probably cosmetic and its not like you would pay attention to the side of the gun during a firefight.

Elite Killa
July 5th, 2007, 10:51 PM
It might probably turn red once you're out of ammo.

I'm still hoping for new Assault Rifle FP animations. I can't stand BR ones.

Con
July 5th, 2007, 11:27 PM
I think the anims are hot

DaneO'Roo
July 6th, 2007, 01:49 AM
fuckin sexy

ExAm
July 6th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Now THAT'S the Halo 3 I wanted to see! That's amazing!

Neuro Guro
July 6th, 2007, 03:32 AM
-

PlasbianX
July 6th, 2007, 08:04 AM
To me it looks like hes staring at an explosion of some sort

Elite Killa
July 6th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Or more like trees. Probably staring at a cowardly grunt in the bushes mb?

TIA Gangsta
July 6th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Erm, it seems to be that he's in quite an open environment, and you can tell from the very left of the visor that the Sun is in clear view and shining bright, yet the armour has the same crappy H3 Beta lighting, which just makes the armour look even more plastic-like.

Sorry if I come across as a Halo hater, cos I seriously am not...but ever since actually owning a 360 and playing the games for a good few weeks, the quality of H3 just doesn't seem to meet (and no, I'm not comparing to Gears of War).

Rosco
July 6th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Yeah don't worry guys, we'll show off how good halo 3 is 2 months before release and ruin the suprise for everyone.

Chief117
July 6th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Impressive. My only gripe is that the visor is a little too gold.

Also, the graphics look a lot like Doom 3's graphics. I know it's a different engine, but it's eerie how similar the style is.
+rep to you. The metal on his armor looks a lot like doom 3's graphic engine.I hope that'll change. tbh i don't like doom 3's graphix. Seems very plasticky.

Zeph
July 6th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Like what?

Erm, you do realize the texture is different and more metal-like now, rather than a bumped texture looking like a decorated plaster ceiling?

ExAm
July 6th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Erm, you do realize the texture is different and more metal-like now, rather than a bumped texture looking like a decorated plaster ceiling?So true.

Terry
July 6th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Erm, you do realize the texture is different and more metal-like now, rather than a bumped texture looking like a decorated plaster ceiling?

He's right. The E3 trailer was much more graphically pleasing to say the least. This armour just screams LAZY texture-wise, atleast compared to the other one. In a screenshot of the same size, you can see burns and scratches and bumps...On this texture, it's pretty much the same as friggin halo 2. And they intentionally chose it to be this way because "the artists preferred it".

I don't really mind so much though, considering that the graphics aren't what I'm buying this for.

Zeph
July 7th, 2007, 12:10 AM
He's right. The E3 trailer was much more graphically pleasing to say the least. This armour just screams LAZY texture-wise, atleast compared to the other one. In a screenshot of the same size, you can see burns and scratches and bumps...On this texture, it's pretty much the same as friggin halo 2. And they intentionally chose it to be this way because "the artists preferred it".

I don't really mind so much though, considering that the graphics aren't what I'm buying this for.

You're mad! This texture is nothing like Halo 2's. It's not even the same style. This is almost perfect homage to Halo 1. Also, just because a texture looks a certain way to your eyes, especially in a HIGH CONTRAST ENVIRONMENT, doesn't mean it's lazy. You might consider making itsy bitsy marks on a skin work, but it rarely translates into good.

Warsaw
July 7th, 2007, 01:05 AM
+rep to you. The metal on his armor looks a lot like doom 3's graphic engine.I hope that'll change. tbh i don't like doom 3's graphix. Seems very plasticky.

DOOM 3 was good for itself and the Quake series, but for Halo 3, we need something more textured.

ExAm
July 7th, 2007, 02:09 AM
I don't think armor is usually made of highly pitted metal, especially that worn by the Chief. I was worried when I first saw the E3 trailer's metal texture. After I saw the Starry Night trailer, I silently pleaded that they would go in the "smooth metal" direction that the company they hired for the trailer did. To me, it looks like my wish has come true. I love it. It's absolutely amazing. On the other hand, it could use a little more detail on it, a few gouges and scratches here and there, and a few changes in the shaders between the black rubber portions and the green metal portions, but no pitting. Just, no. Also, keep in mind that we won't be seeing this particular model in enough detail, by viewing it on a television, to notice the flaws that we see in these high-res screenshots. This is the reason Halo 2 went through a graphical overhaul when it was ported to the PC. Televisions don't show that much detail, no matter which one you buy, HD or not. The fact still stands that you won't be sitting right in front of the television while playing. That reduces the amount of detail you can see, since you notice the individual color pixels more.

DaneO'Roo
July 7th, 2007, 02:45 AM
You know what I think? Maybe his armour gets more damaged the further through the game he goes. Maybe the E3 trailer, is at the end of halo 3, wheres hes all scratched up from battle. Maybe this is showing an early level? It's really not to hard for bungie to just make varients of the armour texture and normal maps, and compile them for different levels.
Say a swamp level, hes all covered in slime or something. Who knows.

ExAm
July 7th, 2007, 03:03 AM
But in the trailer, his armor is pitted everywhere, consistently. It was an intentional texture. The silvery parts of it are the actual marks and scratches of wear and tear.

DaneO'Roo
July 7th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Well I guess you also noticed the rusty tone he has in the trailer as well? A rusty tone he doesn't have here? Doesn't mean they can't tile a detail map over him of more worn metal.

u no im rite loal

TIA Gangsta
July 7th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Ok then, lets put it this way - You cannot deny that the E3 Teaser Trailer had much better graphics than this screenshots, including the visor.
Not matter how much the visor is gold, the E3 one was just the ultimate in realism, and the reflection was a lot more obvious.
As for the armour, well that speaks for itself.

Veegie
July 7th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Because he was in a fucking desert in direct sunlight...

ExAm
July 7th, 2007, 04:52 AM
I disagree. I like the latest shot better. To me, at least, it's more realistic.

TIA Gangsta
July 7th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Because he was in a fucking desert in direct sunlight...

This screenshot is in direct sunlight...Look closer and you can see the left of his visor shining very bright gold. It shows the Sun is in clear view.

DaneO'Roo
July 7th, 2007, 07:06 AM
That isn't RTR. It's a cubemap. If there really was a large explosion going on infront of him, and it was reflecting in his visor like that, would you not see lighting effects from the blast in the shot?

It's as simple as it is:

the cubemap is too bright. I still think it looks good, tho...

Warsaw
July 7th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I don't think armor is usually made of highly pitted metal, especially that worn by the Chief. I was worried when I first saw the E3 trailer's metal texture. After I saw the Starry Night trailer, I silently pleaded that they would go in the "smooth metal" direction that the company they hired for the trailer did. To me, it looks like my wish has come true. I love it. It's absolutely amazing. On the other hand, it could use a little more detail on it, a few gouges and scratches here and there, and a few changes in the shaders between the black rubber portions and the green metal portions, but no pitting. Just, no. Also, keep in mind that we won't be seeing this particular model in enough detail, by viewing it on a television, to notice the flaws that we see in these high-res screenshots. This is the reason Halo 2 went through a graphical overhaul when it was ported to the PC. Televisions don't show that much detail, no matter which one you buy, HD or not. The fact still stands that you won't be sitting right in front of the television while playing. That reduces the amount of detail you can see, since you notice the individual color pixels more.

Pitted? It was gritty, like a HEAVY DUTY alloy should be. It's just like the H2 Hummers the US Military uses. They aren't smooth, they are gritty. It's how it is made. That wasn't damage. The smooth look is just too clean and shiny to be believable, and the way the light shines off makes it look like plastic. In Halo 1, the Chief's Armor looked metal. In Halo 2, it looked plastic sometimes, metal at other times. Now, in Halo 3, it looks totally plastic and the visor looks like one of those bright gold stickers toy manufacturers put on the Master-Chief action figures. The picture is good, but it's not as next-gen as it could be. Therefore, in my humble opinion, the E3 Announcement Trailer is still at the top of the graphics food chain. You can't count the ESPN trailer because that wasn't in real time.

ExAm
July 7th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I'm sorry, but that texture just looks bad. I never said that the pitted appearance of the painted portion was damage. I said that the deeper, unpainted marks and gouges were where something impacted the armor. That was what I referred to as damage. The texture as a whole looks like the outer surface of a worn-out cast-iron frying pan. His armor is supposed to be composed of a superstrong alloy, with ceramic plates underneath. The alloy being semireflective, to disperse the heat of plasma fire. I don't think a surface of that texture would do very well in that regard.

I never said the ESPN trailer was what the graphical quality should be. I said that the texture they used on the armor, a smooth one, not like the E3 trailer's, should be used. The visor itself is supposed to be of a gold color. They didn't do that in the E3 trailer, and it looked wrong for the most part.

By the way, Dano, I'm pretty sure that Bungie described the visor as having a real time reflection on it in that screenshot. The light from the sun, which is behind him, between his 3 o'clock and his 4, judging by the reflection in his visor and the light shining on him, is shining brightly on whatever is in front of him, and that, in turn, is being reflected in his visor. http://www.halo3boards.org/images/Halo&#37;203%20Master%20Chief-Large.jpg

Also, Warsaw, the US army doesn't use Hummer H2s. That's strictly a civilian vehicle. The US army uses the vehicle that the considerably larger and more rugged Hummer H1 was based off of, the Humvee. It is nowhere near the H2.

Rosco
July 7th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Don't you guys get the fact that if they show a screenshot as a good as what you see in the E3 trailer, again, with more of a background, then wouldn't that spoil the suprise of what the game can achieve?

I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather wait to see some sexy ingame stuff on the disk I buy than 2 months before.

Roostervier
July 7th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Pitted? It was gritty, like a HEAVY DUTY alloy should be. It's just like the H2 Hummers the US Military uses. They aren't smooth, they are gritty. It's how it is made. That wasn't damage. The smooth look is just too clean and shiny to be believable, and the way the light shines off makes it look like plastic. In Halo 1, the Chief's Armor looked metal. In Halo 2, it looked plastic sometimes, metal at other times. Now, in Halo 3, it looks totally plastic and the visor looks like one of those bright gold stickers toy manufacturers put on the Master-Chief action figures. The picture is good, but it's not as next-gen as it could be. Therefore, in my humble opinion, the E3 Announcement Trailer is still at the top of the graphics food chain. You can't count the ESPN trailer because that wasn't in real time.
May I also mention that they used VRay on that? Tbqh, I think the smoother version makes more sense, unless you want to go into smaller detail. Taking a look at other metal, you can only see "grittiness" like that in a much lighter environment, and the "pits" never had that much difference in height. If anything, I'd like loads of scratches =p.

Dole
July 7th, 2007, 05:58 PM
I love when ExAm and Warsaw go at it. It plays out like a catfight and yet remains extremely beneficial for personal enrichment.

Xetsuei
July 7th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Don't you guys get the fact that if they show a screenshot as a good as what you see in the E3 trailer, again, with more of a background, then wouldn't that spoil the suprise of what the game can achieve?

I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather wait to see some sexy ingame stuff on the disk I buy than 2 months before.

Crazy_aceR
July 7th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Maybe the visor is like that to prevent people to see what is in that campaign level. Who knows, but the game will have awesome graphics and gameplay when it ships.

itszutak
July 7th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Aw, the armor looks worse; like plastic, even. :/

Look at the hands, and compare them to the E3 trailer.

However, overall, it has a nicer appearance, and seems even to have environment-influenced shaders, which is good. :)

Warsaw
July 7th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Yes, I will admit the lighting is better than the E3 trailer, but the armor itself still lacks.

Mr Buckshot
July 8th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Looks superb, but it doesn't quite seem to be the "push the X360 to its very limits" game.

TIA Gangsta
July 8th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Looks like people are FINALLY seeing my point..

Berkut
July 8th, 2007, 04:39 AM
I think the anims are hot
I agree wholeheartedly.

I like the smoke of a distant battle in the background on the right. The mountains are cool too.
As far as I'm concerned, Halo has always had some of the most stunning skybox art of any equivalent (age-wise) shooter. I'm glad to see that tradition retained.

Erm, it seems to be that he's in quite an open environment, and you can tell from the very left of the visor that the Sun is in clear view and shining bright, yet the armour has the same crappy H3 Beta lighting, which just makes the armour look even more plastic-like.

Sorry if I come across as a Halo hater, cos I seriously am not...but ever since actually owning a 360 and playing the games for a good few weeks, the quality of H3 just doesn't seem to meet (and no, I'm not comparing to Gears of War).
Oh, I suppose a suit of armour that's been under constant wear and tear from both battle and environmental damage should look like brand new chrome spinners, right? Stop being such a fucking twat and expecting anything 'metallic' to be shiny enough to burn out someone's retina at 50 paces. The armour isn't purely metallic anyway, it's coated in ceramic material. For fuck's sake, at least get a clue what you're moaning about before making yourself look like a complete and utter tool.

This screenshot is in direct sunlight...Look closer and you can see the left of his visor shining very bright gold. It shows the Sun is in clear view.
Yeah, because we all know that desert sand and lush forest grass and undergrowth reflect light in exactly the same manner, right? Get a grip, Christ.

ExAm
July 8th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Looks superb, but it doesn't quite seem to be the "push the X360 to its very limits" game.Plese, Bungie has said several times that they're not going for ultrarealistic graphics, they have a stylized approach.

rossmum
July 8th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Gangsta, it's not metal-surfaced. It's made of ceramic composites. Ceramic materials don't shine, nor should they. I'm glad it doesn't look like metal, though I must say it does need some detail insofar as damage and such.

Still, beautiful screenshot.

ExAm
July 8th, 2007, 04:54 AM
I'm pretty sure it's a sandwich of metal and ceramics, the metal being the outer portion, hence the shininess of the H1 armor.

Berkut
July 8th, 2007, 05:20 AM
No, the ceramics are on the outside to aid in dissipating the heat from plasma blasts. Metal would be useless on the outside.

ExAm
July 8th, 2007, 05:43 AM
There's gotta be some kind of coating, if it's as shiny as it is. In the books, it's stated that the armor is reflective, to help against plasma fire.

Metroid4593
July 8th, 2007, 08:15 AM
New sig'd. And I think that Explosive is right, but the visor is a little too gold.

TIA Gangsta
July 8th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Wow, some of you need to get a grip. I said before that I'm not moaning at the game, I'm still gonna get it (obviously) and I know that it'll probably get even better, but my point is that the teaser trailer was much better than this screenshot.
They showed that trailer as an expectation of the game, and they show this? I sure hope it's just got building up hype and a big surprise in September, because after seeing that awesome trailer, I'm expecting something as good as or better.

Right now, in that screenshot, it doesn't do it for me. But it's still a great screen.

Dole
July 8th, 2007, 10:00 AM
No, the ceramics are on the outside to aid in dissipating the heat from plasma blasts. Metal would be useless on the outside.

If the outside was an inch of metal, the atmospheric re-entry of Armor Testing in the HGN would've been impossible.

Warsaw
July 8th, 2007, 03:30 PM
There's gotta be some kind of coating, if it's as shiny as it is. In the books, it's stated that the armor is reflective, to help against plasma fire.

Refractive, not reflective. There's a difference :downs:

ExAm
July 8th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Refractive, not reflective. There's a difference :downs:
I know there's a difference, but I don't see where refractivity would help here. Refraction implies light passing through something, but its direction being changed while passing through. I don't see how a refractive coating would help, since heat would be going through the coating, to the layers underneath anyway. A reflective surface would keep heat away, which is the goal in this case.

Warsaw
July 8th, 2007, 03:54 PM
It spreads the damage out so it isn't concentrated in one area. It's better to have 10&#37; damage all over than 90% damage in one area. Aside from that, the book said refractive coating, not reflective. Also, the Spartans still feel the heat, otherwise you wouldn't have those several instances of blisters popping up on their backs, etc...

ExAm
July 8th, 2007, 11:05 PM
It spreads the damage out so it isn't concentrated in one area. It's better to have 10% damage all over than 90% damage in one area. Aside from that, the book said refractive coating, not reflective. Also, the Spartans still feel the heat, otherwise you wouldn't have those several instances of blisters popping up on their backs, etc...Ah, okay. Makes sense.

rossmum
July 9th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Doesn't need to be metal, and as Ace said, it's refractive. That implies a transparent or translucent susbtance such as glass or perspex, or a clear composite.

Berkut
July 9th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Wow, some of you need to get a grip. I said before that I'm not moaning at the game, I'm still gonna get it (obviously) and I know that it'll probably get even better, but my point is that the teaser trailer was much better than this screenshot.
They showed that trailer as an expectation of the game, and they show this? I sure hope it's just got building up hype and a big surprise in September, because after seeing that awesome trailer, I'm expecting something as good as or better.

Right now, in that screenshot, it doesn't do it for me. But it's still a great screen.
Ironic when you're the one insisting everything is shiny. Quit whining just because it isn't exactly what they showed you in the trailer. It's a different environment, the light does not react the same. I suggest you refrain from further degrading yourself by continuing to imply that desert sand and forest ground cover reflect light in the same manner and therefore should cause the exact same effects on the armour. The environment is different and the lighting is different. The outer layer of the suit is composed with rubber-esque joints and ceramic plates, not metal. Please shut up.

If the outside was an inch of metal, the atmospheric re-entry of Armor Testing in the HGN would've been impossible.
Thank you.

rossmum
July 9th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Ironic when you're the one insisting everything is shiny. Quit whining just because it isn't exactly what they showed you in the trailer. It's a different environment, the light does not react the same. I suggest you refrain from further degrading yourself by continuing to imply that desert sand and forest ground cover reflect light in the same manner and therefore should cause the exact same effects on the armour. The environment is different and the lighting is different. The outer layer of the suit is composed with rubber-esque joints and ceramic plates, not metal.
I see your point and agree with the composition of the armour, but to be honest it is less stunning visually without the metallic sheen it used to have and the battle-damage shown in the trailer. From what I can tell, the damage details are gone altogether.

Berkut
July 9th, 2007, 02:34 AM
I see your point and agree with the composition of the armour, but to be honest it is less stunning visually without the metallic sheen it used to have and the battle-damage shown in the trailer. From what I can tell, the damage details are gone altogether.
True, though you have to remember the game isn't done yet. Chances are such things will be added later or perhaps redone (which would explain why Bungie would suddenly sacrifice all of that detail). I didn't get a chance to try the beta, but I heard from friends that the armour did look rather plastic-like in appearance... I hope they bring back the shaders used in the first game. The armour in Halo could really be interpreted as either metallic or just highly-reflective ceramic material, and the way the damage looked did lend a lot of weight to the ceramic side of things.

Halo2Vista
July 9th, 2007, 07:34 AM
the background reminds me of mt. hood and the northwest of USA

AAA
July 9th, 2007, 11:47 AM
y'know what? I happy we finally play on Earth cause it got annoying to fight on ships and a ring. I feel good considering we get to see what locations of the world they pick. most importantly, kick enemies ass. Anyone wonder if we see people running and screaming or DEAD? it is a rated M game, I expect ma dead people!

rossmum
July 9th, 2007, 11:51 AM
It's a shooter, you generally do see people die in shooters... :raise:

Warsaw
July 9th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Doesn't need to be metal, and as Ace said, it's refractive. That implies a transparent or translucent susbtance such as glass or perspex, or a clear composite.

Just for the records, it's a crystalline compound that was coated over the armor as a liquid and was hardened by some method :).

rossmum
July 9th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Just for the records, it's a crystalline compound that was coated over the armor as a liquid and was hardened by some method :).
I thought that was the interior circuitry?

Well, regardless, it's not metal.

TIA Gangsta
July 10th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Ironic when you're the one insisting everything is shiny. Quit whining just because it isn't exactly what they showed you in the trailer. It's a different environment, the light does not react the same. I suggest you refrain from further degrading yourself by continuing to imply that desert sand and forest ground cover reflect light in the same manner and therefore should cause the exact same effects on the armour. The environment is different and the lighting is different. The outer layer of the suit is composed with rubber-esque joints and ceramic plates, not metal. Please shut up.

Thank you.

Ironic? How so? I was saying for some of you to get a grip and quit acting like it's YOUR game and someone doesn't like YOUR work. I can have my opinion, and I can express them however I want. Got it?

Last time I checked, I reassured that I wasn't moaning at the game, I was just expressing the fact of how the graphics have changed to something not as stunning.
And did I say anything about light reacting with the environment, but just the pure fact of the Sun being in clear view of the armour, yet the lighting appears to be a lot less stunning, and makes the armour look plastic.

And metal or no metal, the E3 Teaser looked MUCH better than this screenshot, and nobody can deny that. In that, the armour is lower res, has less detail, and just doesn't make you go "DAMN!", like the E3 Teaser did.
It's changed quite a lot from the first trailer. The visor has changed from a beautifully reflecting visor, crystal clear, to a gimicy ridiculously gold visor that doesn't even reflect half as much as the one in the trailer.
The armour change has been discussed above, and as for others like the high-res texture of the metal remains of what seems to be a Pelican, the Covenant vehicles and environment, can't be compared just yet.

People need to stop sucking up to Bungie and saying whatever they do is right and is always an improvement. EVERYONE makes mistakes and NOBODY is perfect - and that includes Bungie.
Just accept the fact that it's simple just not as stunning as the E3 Trailer, and let YOU make your own decisions and opinions, rather than Bungie doing it for you.

ExAm
July 10th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Ironic? How so? I was saying for some of you to get a grip and quit acting like it's YOUR game and someone doesn't like YOUR work. I can have my opinion, and I can express them however I want. Got it?

Last time I checked, I reassured that I wasn't moaning at the game, I was just expressing the fact of how the graphics have changed to something not as stunning.
And did I say anything about light reacting with the environment, but just the pure fact of the Sun being in clear view of the armour, yet the lighting appears to be a lot less stunning, and makes the armour look plastic.

And metal or no metal, the [color=red]E3 Teaser looked MUCH better than this screenshot, and nobody can deny that.[/color[ In that, the armour is lower res, has less detail, and just doesn't make you go "DAMN!", like the E3 Teaser did.
It's changed quite a lot from the first trailer. The visor has changed from a beautifully reflecting visor, crystal clear, to a gimicy ridiculously gold visor that doesn't even reflect half as much as the one in the trailer.
The armour change has been discussed above, and as for others like the high-res texture of the metal remains of what seems to be a Pelican, the Covenant vehicles and environment, can't be compared just yet.

People need to stop sucking up to Bungie and saying whatever they do is right and is always an improvement. EVERYONE makes mistakes and NOBODY is perfect - and that includes Bungie.
Just accept the fact that it's simple just not as stunning as the E3 Trailer, and let YOU make your own decisions and opinions, rather than Bungie doing it for you.
Oh, I beg to differ. You can't tell others what their opinion can or cannot be. My opinion is that the current iteration looks much better than the old one. You can't deny that I think that.

Berkut
July 10th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Wow, so now you're preaching the right to express opinions while suppressing mine? Well done. Contradict yourself some more, why don't you.

Oh, because we all have exactly the same standards as you. What's not stunning to you must surely be equally as plain to the rest of us.

Sorry, you don't have a clue. Go learn something about basic lighting and come back when you actually know the first thing about reflections and lighting.

And metal or no metal, the E3 Teaser looked MUCH better than this screenshot, and nobody can deny that. In that, the armour is lower res, has less detail, and just doesn't make you go "DAMN!", like the E3 Teaser did.
I disagree. Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to change my name to 'Nobody', so your little statement still stands true.

The E3 teaser looked no more impressive than this screenshot as far as I'm concerned. I don't see how one shader can have such an effect on a game's graphics; care to enlighten me?

Hey, moron. Look up. They most likely haven't implemented the proper RTR yet.

Then again, I wouldn't expect you to even know what that means.

You are a fucking twat, you know that? Here's a nice little challenge for you: find one post - one post - where I am clearly, beyond any shadow of a doubt, "sucking up to Bungie". Have fun, because you won't find one. Maybe I'm just one of those people with, you know, an informed opinion. Maybe I'm smart enough to think twice before blindly hating and actually realise that the game is neither finished nor meant to look realistic. If you don't like Bungie's art style, go play another game and get off of these forums. That's not called sucking up to Bungie, that's called having some common sense.

Read the above, you bigot. And also, kindly stop posting.

Warsaw
July 11th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I thought that was the interior circuitry?

Well, regardless, it's not metal.

That was a crystal lattice inside the armor for a starship-grade Artificial Intelligence.