PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Extends 360 Warranty to 3 Years for RRoD

Nick
July 5th, 2007, 04:00 PM
We are taking responsibility by enhancing the Xbox 360 warranty for consoles that experience general hardware failures, indicated by three flashing red lights on the console, to cover repair costs and shipping for all related repairs for three years from purchase. The existing console warranty remains in effect for all other issues. We are retroactively arranging refunds for anyone that paid for out-of-warranty repairs of a console that had three flashing red lights. Additionally, we’re enhancing some of our customer service processes and systems, and you should continue to see improvements with the experience you have when you call for support.I'd say that is pretty good customer service.

Full story here. (http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2007/07/05/warrantynews.aspx)

Edit: They're taking quite the financial hit for this, apparently.

Microsoft will take a $1.05 billion to $1.15 billion pre-tax charge to earnings for the quarter ended June 30, 2007 for anticipated costs under its current and enhanced Xbox 360 policies.

Nick

Atty
July 5th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Wow, nice. :)

Warsaw
July 5th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Finally, something good to say about Microsoft. It's been a long time since the last good thing they've done.

Masterz1337
July 5th, 2007, 05:13 PM
High Five

legionaire45
July 5th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Holy shit, thats pretty damn awesome.

Although I am still waiting on the warranty for mine to run out before I do crazy shit to it.

PlasbianX
July 5th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I think this sucks tbh. With microsoft i send my broken 360 in and get a replacement that takes atleast a month to get back, and then its not even a new one, its just a refurbished one. With my gamecrazy contract (which takes effect 1 year about buying my 360) i just take my console in and switch on the spot. Now i gotta wait 3 years if i wanna do that -__-.

Warsaw
July 5th, 2007, 09:30 PM
What's the rush? There are plenty of things to do in that time lapse between sending ad receiving the XBOX 360 back.

TIA Gangsta
July 6th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I think this sucks tbh. With microsoft i send my broken 360 in and get a replacement that takes atleast a month to get back, and then its not even a new one, its just a refurbished one. With my gamecrazy contract (which takes effect 1 year about buying my 360) i just take my console in and switch on the spot. Now i gotta wait 3 years if i wanna do that -__-.

Ha, you definately need to take a break from your 360 if you can't even take 1 month with no 360.
Just be thankfull that you actually do get a working 360 if it breaks within the next THREE years.

And I don't understand, does this also affect people who bought 360's in the past?
Will mine now be covered for three years?

EDIT:
The new three year warranty policy applies to all machines, whether they were purchased today or at launch, and covers all costs associated with fixing the red ring issue that has plagued a great number of machines.

ExAm
July 9th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Mine hasn't failed yet, but I'm not counting it out. It's overheated a couple of times, but only during the recent heat wave, with no (external) fan going, in a room that was already hot.

Aeron
July 9th, 2007, 09:23 AM
its good costomer service i think, they could have just said, "well your out of warranty your sod out of luck", but fising them for free and extending the warantee to 3 years for free is good,

good tho apart from the cracked ones they wont be fixed by msoft, and if you send a cracked 360 to be repaired by them your a little bit stupid,

could be a global conspiracy aswell tho, they sent a breakdown code over live to break down all the machines knowing theyll only be getting the clean ones to be repaired therefore eliminating the crackred 360 problem they have, at least for a while.

PlasbianX
July 9th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Ha, you definately need to take a break from your 360 if you can't even take 1 month with no 360.
Just be thankfull that you actually do get a working 360 if it breaks within the next THREE years.

And I don't understand, does this also affect people who bought 360's in the past?
Will mine now be covered for three years?

EDIT:

Hey, i dont give a fuck. Why should i give my 360 up for months, and not get anything back from losing my xbox live time that i payed for? And also read what i said. I dont even get a new one back, i just get someone's whose broke and was fixed back. Its just a waste to go through microsoft.

Nick
July 9th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Refurbished units are standard industry practice - through the entire consumer electronics industry.

Call Xbox Support - they will give you a free month of Xbox Live if you tell them your Gamertag and that you have been unable to use the service because your console is being repaired.

You cry too much.

Nick

ExAm
July 9th, 2007, 10:49 PM
I always buy refurbished when I can. Often they're more thoroughly inspected than brand new units, and are more reliable. I haven't had any issues with any of my refurbished consoles yet.

jngrow
July 12th, 2007, 05:20 PM
That's what I call customer service nigga.

Stealth
July 12th, 2007, 05:38 PM
wow, now that's a good Customer service, the only one that I think is better is Dell's because my dad go a free $300.00 Video camera that he wanted all because he got mad at them for not doing what they said they would.

Masterz1337
July 12th, 2007, 06:22 PM
No stealth. No.

mech
July 12th, 2007, 06:30 PM
wow, now that's a good Customer service, the only one that I think is better is Dell's because my dad go a free $300.00 Video camera that he wanted all because he got mad at them for not doing what they said they would.

That's called "don't tell our boss."

PlasbianX
July 12th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Refurbished units are standard industry practice - through the entire consumer electronics industry.

Call Xbox Support - they will give you a free month of Xbox Live if you tell them your Gamertag and that you have been unable to use the service because your console is being repaired.

You cry too much.

Nick

IDC, id rather know im getting a brand new one, than a refurbished. And also, i have called, and they told me im SOL.

Stealth
July 12th, 2007, 10:18 PM
That's called "don't tell our boss."
the sad thing is, it was "Their boss" that my dad yelled at. He got sent a $50 gift card because Dell sent him a new laptop just because he had a dead spot in his screen on his new one and he didn't want to reinstall every thing again so he sent it back because Dell told him to and they'd send him a $100 gift card. he got mad, they sent him one more $50 gift card, and was told that he could use up both of them to buy one thing, but you can't do that. he got mad, called them, yelled, and he was told they'd talk about it and call him back in 3 days, and 2 weeks go by, and he calls them again get on the phone with the boss, and would not let them hang up until they set things right.
that's how he got two $50 gift cards and a $300 video camera for free.:D

Nick
July 12th, 2007, 10:52 PM
And also, i have called, and they told me im SOL.Liar.