PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War LIVE for PC!!! Maybe they do care!

PTS
July 6th, 2007, 09:00 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Hm5psi_32s

Gears of War for PC will be announced at E3 in a few days but this video was released.

Gears of War for Games for Windows. Live Enabled with Achievements and maybe Cross Platform.

If the above is all confirmed at E3 this will be great news for the LIVE community.

Oh and it won't be a straight port. Alot of new content will be added since that video shows new bosses, maps, and guns.

rossmum
July 6th, 2007, 09:04 PM
It'd better not be another H2V. Either way, sounds promising... then again, so did H2V...

Cortexian
July 6th, 2007, 09:21 PM
It'd better not be another H2V. Either way, sounds promising... then again, so did H2V...
iawtp

Elite Killa
July 6th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Finally I can kill a Brumak!

jcap
July 6th, 2007, 09:30 PM
...and the announcement that LIVE is going to be utilized in this port is the first of the nails in the coffin for this game.

Sad, really.

Mr Buckshot
July 6th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I already have the X360 version, but keyboard-and-mouse control along with free online should be incentive to buy this version as well.

I just hope that it won't be as terrible a port as H2V is. And I want to have the option NOT to use GFWL if I don't want to.

Xetsuei
July 6th, 2007, 09:37 PM
And I want to have the option NOT to use GFWL if I don't want to.

:lmao:

PTS
July 6th, 2007, 09:46 PM
...and the announcement that LIVE is going to be utilized in this port is the first of the nails in the coffin for this game.

Sad, really.

I got to disagree. Bringing a Blockbuster game like Gears to LIVE for PC might just what the doctor ordered. Microsoft recently fired their head of Games for Windows LIVE so I'm sure they have realized that they dropped the ball on the whole PC LIVE project. Maybe, just maybe they want to make it right and bring GOW to it will be a huge step into the right direction. This isn't a port of a 3 year game we are talking about here.

I'm confident Microsoft and the Games for Windows LIVE team will fix the service before their Crown Jewl Gears of War hits the PC market.

-Signed Blind Optimist :lol:

Bodzilla
July 6th, 2007, 09:51 PM
^but u see the problem is WE DONT WANT LIVE TO BE A SUCCESS.

the vast majority of PC gamers will not pay to play online. the hole live situation's been a massive pile of horse shit from the beginning and the sooner that horse shit turns to compost and we dont have to smell it, the better.

MastaCheefa
July 6th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Agrees with Bodzilla.

And h2v isnt a bad game. LIVE is what fucks the experience up. Once Im in a server its great. And there hasnt been one patch released yet. It will only get smoother.

rossmum
July 6th, 2007, 11:28 PM
^but u see the problem is WE DONT WANT LIVE TO BE A SUCCESS.

the vast majority of PC gamers will not pay to play online. the hole live situation's been a massive pile of horse shit from the beginning and the sooner that horse shit turns to compost and we dont have to smell it, the better.
Heh, nice analogy.

You're right, too. I can get more multiplayer features in Source games or Red Orchestra than I could in H2V, and it doesn't even cost anything. Go figure.

Mr Buckshot
July 6th, 2007, 11:37 PM
This thing is just going to end up like Daikatana - lots of hype, high production value, end product is shit.

Limited
July 6th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Told ya...

Imagine if there was a map editor, there wont be because its unreal 3 engine and there use the unreal 3 tools to make maps and they wont give them out. But imagine if you could, that'd be fucking awesome.

Dal
July 7th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Erm, ever heard of the unreal editor, Lim?

Amit
July 7th, 2007, 10:15 AM
He's talking about the new Unreal engine, Unreal Engine 3. That's the one that Unreal Tournament 2007 is being made on. I doubt they would release the tools with their game. They may have a patch later next year with the tools on it like with Star Wars Republic Commando. I think that's my favourite Star Wars game of all since it has the most advanced graphics in a Star Wars game yet. Force Unleashed is coming though.

DaneO'Roo
July 7th, 2007, 10:46 AM

It won't be. Think. EPIC. They've been about PC games forever and the modding community is a huge factor to them. PC gaming is one of their pet peas. They would not let M$ taint their good name like that. I can't imagine Cliffy B ever letting that happen.

I don't think there's anything to worry about. Epic have always had fairly much the best game engine. I'm sure it'll run quite well.

Syuusuke
July 7th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Let's hope the streak continues.

Boba
July 7th, 2007, 02:34 PM
But I want to fight a Brumak on my 360. :(

Emmzee
July 8th, 2007, 06:54 AM
I'm confident Microsoft and the Games for Windows LIVE team will fix the service before their Crown Jewl Gears of War hits the PC market.
Microsoft fixing something before it hits the market? Have you been living under a fucking rock the past 10 years or what?

ExAm
July 9th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Personally, I don't have a problem with GFWL at the moment, since I already own a LIVE account, which I can use online. I just kinda get used to paying for online, especially with the features I get on the Xbox 360 (FUCKING MOVIE RENTALS). But, considering the raw lack of features in GFWL itself, I don't think it's worth paying, if you have no use for, or do not have the means to use, the Xbox 360 variant. If Marketplace and all of its features are included later, it will be worth the price. Silver being free, LIVE play should be included with that, and Gold should include Marketplace and all of the awesomeness it contains. I think that's a fair deal.

Phopojijo
July 13th, 2007, 12:59 AM
We all know what's truly in Epic's heart though... UT3

http://www.beyondunreal.com/images/e3_2007/ut3_e307_05.jpg (Not suitable for those under 17)

RUN FASTER!

P.S. -- as if you didn't already need Depends... 4 player online coop for UT3's campaign.

UT3 will eclipse Gears maybe?

SMASH
July 13th, 2007, 01:38 PM
UT3 will eclipse Gears maybe?

No way, gears and UT3 are the far opposites when it comes down to FPS. Gears is slow and strategic, but UT3 is all about speed, running, jumping, launching, keeping quick. They are completely different.

ExAm
July 13th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Absolutely true. The same is true of Quake. I don't know who came up with the idea that someone could ever run that fast, but it can be fun sometimes. Personally, I prefer a more realistic pace. Fans of Quake and UT sometimes call walking in Halo, the "Halo Crawl". At least, that's what I've heard. Google yields nothing on that term >_>

Phopojijo
July 13th, 2007, 02:16 PM
No way, gears and UT3 are the far opposites when it comes down to FPS. Gears is slow and strategic, but UT3 is all about speed, running, jumping, launching, keeping quick. They are completely different.That's not what I meant... but regardless.

Absolutely true. The same is true of Quake. I don't know who came up with the idea that someone could ever run that fast, but it can be fun sometimes. Personally, I prefer a more realistic pace. Fans of Quake and UT sometimes call walking in Halo, the "Halo Crawl". At least, that's what I've heard. Google yields nothing on that term >_>

I never really heard anyone call anything the "Halo Crawl"; sure its annoying playing UT then going over to Halo attempting to dodge getting rocketed and spartan lasered. Both are fun but both are different. Everyone has their niche they enjoy most.

Actually that's one of the largest things on my mind for my Halo 2 Vista map. Its an homage to an existing map on a twitch-shooter so I'm needing to figure out ways to balance out for the different movement styles.

Pooky
July 13th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Quake 3 ftw :D

tactical ftl >:U

TeeKup
July 13th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Big deal...

ExAm
July 16th, 2007, 05:58 PM
OH MY F%#$&ING GOD (http://insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=15395)

Looks like they care a lot more than we thought!

Emmzee
July 16th, 2007, 07:33 PM
OH MY F%#$&ING GOD (http://insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=15395)

Looks like they care a lot more than we thought!
It's like there's dirt on my, and it won't come off!

ExAm
July 16th, 2007, 08:00 PM
What?

dg
July 16th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Since both games are using the UE3, it's just a matter of time until Marcus is running around fragging Necris or some Locusts are being shot at by Malcom.

ExAm
July 16th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Like the Epic Games version of Super Smash Brothers

Skyline
July 16th, 2007, 09:13 PM
UE3 now has the windows live built into the engine, so unless microsoft gets windows live on the mac there might be no online and if there is it'll be Free :(.

ExAm
July 16th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Too much of an opportunity for Microsoft to pass up.

Archon23
July 16th, 2007, 10:43 PM
I can see it now. Microsoft announcing Windows Live on the Mac and thousands of people going: "Wait, What?"

dg
July 17th, 2007, 02:08 AM
UE3 now has the windows live built into the engine, so unless microsoft gets windows live on the mac there might be no online and if there is it'll be Free :(.

Unreal Engine 3 is integrated into the Unreal Engine (not mandatory, but optimized for.) That's kind of like saying because Epic optimized the engine for the PlayStation 3 they are going to stop making PC games. Earlier this week they announced that Gears of War is coming out for Mac and it uses the LIVE service for sure.

Epic will not, and I say this with full certainty, give up on the Mac market based on Games for Windows/LIVE! Anywhere services.

Skyline
July 17th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I never said it was, yes it's built in doesn't mean anyone has to use it. But then it will not use the same networking as the pc version.

jahrain
July 17th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Maybe they might be cool and just make the live functionality an optional choice.

Skyline
July 17th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Unmatched online gaming. Gears of War will tap into the power of Games for Windows LIVEā„¢ to deliver online matchmaking for its Gold account members. The service will enable gamers around the globe to connect via their PCs, allowing players to experience individualized matchmaking, view player statistics, earn player Achievements, customize games, and create personalized profiles.

http://gearsofwar.com/News/Gears_PC.htm

jahrain
July 17th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Matchmaking or h2v style quick-join?

demonmaster3k
July 17th, 2007, 08:47 PM
why use marketplace when you can use the internet.
the internet beats marketplace (even if you can't get add ons to the games)

Phopojijo
July 17th, 2007, 10:02 PM
UE3 now has the windows live built into the engine, so unless microsoft gets windows live on the mac there might be no online and if there is it'll be Free :(.Le sigh.

So many things wrong with the thread but I'll tackle this one first:

Games for Windows Live support was integrated into the engine so the developers who license the tech doesn't need to integrate it themselves (to recognize the difference between Silver and Gold, use Microsoft's VoIP tech, etc.)

They do not need to use Games for Windows Live; and as a matter of fact, Unreal Tournament 3 will not be Games for Windows Live.

So yea, Live Functionality is an option. If the developer wants it, they can have it. Mike Capps and the Epic crew are very much against Games for Windows Live's current implementation and constantly email Microsoft to change.

Skyline
July 18th, 2007, 11:37 AM
I never said it was, yes it's built in doesn't mean anyone has to use it. But then it will not use the same networking as the pc version.
Do you only read one post?