PDA

View Full Version : Portal Gun

Patrickssj6
November 23rd, 2006, 09:05 PM
Valve recently released a video containing a gun called the "Portal Gun".They made the video in an updated version of the Half-Life 2 Engine.
Watch here (http://youtube.com/watch?v=-C7IX4C0DxQ)

Many modders tried to replicate it on multiple engines (HL2 with Garry's Mod,UT etc.).

Yesterday Locke the Halomods admin asked me if we want to replicate the gun in the Halo engine.This morning we (+BEEF!!!) finished it (delayed by turkey) and made it as good as possible (we still eventually to do some fixes here and there).

I hope you realize that the Blam engine can't step up to the HL2 engine.

Enjoy and let Halo live!

:D (http://youtube.com/watch?v=hqY8H7CdSXg) <----

Rate it, we are going to try to get as many views as possible!
Old Thread (http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=60248&page=3)
:D

Random
November 23rd, 2006, 09:50 PM
Needs more release, so I can put it on the FBI server :D.

Stealth
November 23rd, 2006, 10:32 PM
The Idea
2B1SeBhvyus

The Test
hqY8H7CdSXg
Ok, so you know, oh, and dude, if you get some one to make a custom model for you, make a Covie looking Gun, that would look cool for Halo.

rossmum
November 23rd, 2006, 10:44 PM
Remember the Name :3

Dude, that thing is MADE OF WIN. I could try make a custom model mbmb... :p

Btd69
November 24th, 2006, 01:16 AM
I think Tweek is?

rossmum
November 24th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Oh, ok. Awesome.

SnaFuBAR
November 24th, 2006, 04:45 AM
I think Tweek is?
based on some concept art of mine.

cls
November 24th, 2006, 06:14 AM
If they could make the weapon be able to hold objects like the ASHPD could (it can't punt objects like the Hl2 gravity gun) then it would be impressive. Considering how inferior Halo's graphics and physics are compared to the Havoc Engine and Source that may not be possible. (lack of HDR might have something to do with it)

Patrickssj6
November 24th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Me smell weapon contest

[gx]Shadow
November 24th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Awesome job, pat!

rossmum
November 24th, 2006, 10:46 AM
If they could make the weapon be able to hold objects like the ASHPD could (it can't punt objects like the Hl2 gravity gun) then it would be impressive. Considering how inferior Halo's graphics and physics are compared to the Havoc Engine and Source that may not be possible. (lack of HDR might have something to do with it)
HDR? What does high dynamic range lighting have to do with game physics? :confused2:

Patrickssj6
November 24th, 2006, 10:57 AM
The Blam engine is very weak compared to the other newer ones.But at the time of release it was and for me still is a masterpeice :D

cls
November 24th, 2006, 11:04 AM
HDR? What does high dynamic range lighting have to do with game physics? :confused2:
Not much besides lighting a zombie aflame with a gas canister and displaying the proper effect. Halo CE could never display something as cool looking as the Citadel core. (http://supremekaijubattlesarchive.com/ep1_citadel_core.jpg)

Random
November 24th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Not much besides lighting a zombie aflame with a gas canister and displaying the proper effect. Halo CE could never display something as cool looking as the Citadel core. (http://supremekaijubattlesarchive.com/ep1_citadel_core.jpg)

True, but the the source engine wasn't made to run on a xbox. Its a what 5-6 year old game engine which still can produce some nice visuals with a good computer.

Nic
November 24th, 2006, 03:28 PM
:o

I think a new single player level would be cool with this gun =D

[gx]Shadow
November 24th, 2006, 06:51 PM
That still has nothing to do with the physics of the game, it just pertains to the visual aspect.

cls
November 24th, 2006, 07:53 PM
If I knew how to make gif file, the thing would be moving/fluxing and the Core can even kill the player but not much other then that. (The player is supposed to get as close as possible to it without the Core killing them). So in regard to physics it's there as a puzzle for players that will force them to start over if they screw up.
As for lighting up zombies you have to "punt" objects with the Gravity Gun (orange not the blue charged version in the picture) to do it.

Chewy Gumball
November 24th, 2006, 09:01 PM
But the way the core looks has nothing to do (technically) with what it does to the player.

cls
November 24th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Guess I should have typed a shorter explanation, when the black ball in the middle expands to the whole sphere you die. Simple as that.
I can't be the only person here who has Hl2:EP1.

Chewy Gumball
November 24th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Graphics don't affect physics.

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
November 24th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Guess I should have typed a shorter explanation, when the black ball in the middle expands to the whole sphere you die. Simple as that.
I can't be the only person here who has Hl2:EP1.I have it, and I don't know what you're talking about 0.o.

legionaire45
November 25th, 2006, 12:31 AM
I have a question about the HCE gravity gun, what happens if you shoot another player?

WhÎþLå§h ÐÆmØÑ
November 25th, 2006, 12:32 AM
I have a question about the HCE gravity gun, what happens if you shoot another player?Hello exception gun. :D

~ZMT~Trace
November 25th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Hello exception gun. :D

ah man, teleporting your enemy to the top of the map and see him fall to his death would be awesome.

legionaire45
November 25th, 2006, 01:28 AM
ah man, teleporting your enemy to the top of the map and see him fall to his death would be awesome.

If you could teleport someone like that I think a cooler and more "realistic" effect would be for him to be instantly converted into raw energy as soon as his atoms begin touching the atoms in the immediate area he occupies(aka large nuke as soon as he comes out, he dies and goes flying). Lens Flares FTW.

n00b1n8R
November 25th, 2006, 05:51 AM
could it make a mini teleporter model (as in the green glow)? that looks pretty cool.

if you shot it at a player, wouldn't you just get a tele in mid air?

and if you shoot it at ground, shoot at wall, shoot at different place, would the tele in the wall (that you just came through) take again? or are they one way tele's?

btw, I'm new here.
n00b out

Dole
November 25th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Yeah, the portal gun is desperately in need of some fancy new decals.
Trying to run into a bullethole looks a little too confusing.

~ZMT~Trace
November 25th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Is it me, or are BEEF!!! and pat going on the same teleporter? i saw BEEF!!! go tele on one then say to pat Your turn, then pat used the same one. so their is no Mr. exception gun.

Patrickssj6
November 25th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Done that.:D

n00b1n8R
November 25th, 2006, 05:39 PM
so you can shoot your opponent, and they will tele to the tele you made before them? could you please release the map if only so we can understand what it does better (and much around with friends?

pretty please :D
n00b out

PlasbianX
November 25th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Wow... we have officaly broken the limitations set upon us by halo. This is the dawn of a new age...

~ZMT~Trace
November 25th, 2006, 06:39 PM
so you can shoot your opponent, and they will tele to the tele you made before them? could you please release the map if only so we can understand what it does better (and much around with friends?

pretty please :D
n00b out

Its not a map idiot, its an program you run outside of Halo, like your aimbot.

Patrickssj6
November 25th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Yes it's a external application.

Though I can show it to 15 people and only I would need the app:)

PlasbianX
November 25th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Pick me. Im havin' a bad month due to shitty MS. (check my thread about my 360 at GBX for details)

Patrickssj6
November 25th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Beta time;homeless and plasbian first XD

Stealth
November 25th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Oh, I would love to help you beta that thing.

~ZMT~Trace
November 25th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Can i beta!?

i have a lot of stuff i wanna test....

*Evil Laugh*

OmegaDragon
November 25th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Great work Patrickssj6!
You must have allot of extra time on your hands for you to make something like that.

It would be cool to beta this, even though I doubt I will get chosen >.>

Jayden
November 26th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Looks great, throw me a beta mb?

Stormwing
November 26th, 2006, 01:09 AM
could i try toooo?

D:

n00b1n8R
November 26th, 2006, 03:02 AM

i thought it was a scripted weapon. i assumed that when people started talking about making a model for it.

and what makes you think i bot? it's low and ruins the skill factor.

i'd like to beta, but i doubt you'd pick me.
n00b out

rossmum
November 26th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Ever let me catch you sassin' n00b again, and I'll hunt you down and smack some sense into you, tbh.

Yes it's a external application.

Though I can show it to 15 people and only I would need the app:)
Memememememe. I'm trustworthy, and we've known each other since like forever.

If by forever you mean the golden days of Halomods.

Can i beta!?

i have a lot of stuff i wanna test....

*Evil Laugh*

Dear God NO. You have to be sensible and trustworthy to beta things. And considering you posted a link to SVC's 'site' on GBX to advertise it... just no. No.

Jelly
November 26th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Jelly would like to Beta. I'll be good.

Dole
November 26th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Don't count on it.

Rescudo
November 26th, 2006, 03:27 PM
This thing fucking wins. Awesome job. :)

Limited
January 1st, 2007, 09:27 AM
Uh, month +a few days bump (sorry, pat your never on aim)

I got a few questions about this

Im only "guessing" how it works because locke is good at what i think he did.

This means it has a limited amount of people can use it? If its not server host only.

Does it fuck the proper teleporters up (because it just moves the tele entry and tele output doesnt it? )

:D

Syuusuke
January 1st, 2007, 10:39 AM
Holy damn I missed the beta =(

I also have a question, what happens if you shoot one portal only and go through that?

Pooky
January 1st, 2007, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't think it messes with default teleports, since you can go into sparkedit and create all the teleport entrances and exits you want. What he probably did is mod the effect of the projectile hitting stuff so it first spawns a teleport entrance then a teleport exit, or perhaps there's a secondary trigger.

Syuusuke
January 1st, 2007, 03:55 PM
Where would the 2nd teleporter exit be?

Pooky
January 1st, 2007, 04:31 PM
Second teleport exit?

Limited
January 2nd, 2007, 04:47 AM
I wouldn't think it messes with default teleports, since you can go into sparkedit and create all the teleport entrances and exits you want. What he probably did is mod the effect of the projectile hitting stuff so it first spawns a teleport entrance then a teleport exit, or perhaps there's a secondary trigger.tbh i think you'll find i know more on the subject than you do.

You can't just "spawn" things using memory hacking. Locke found the teleporter coordinates ages ago, and had fun making me tele out the map :(

Thats why I think it moves them. You can't move some thing you dont have.

Pooky
January 2nd, 2007, 01:02 PM
Tbh I think you'll find I didn't ask to get into an argument in the first place and it's quite unwelcome when some guy comes out of nowhere and tries to start one. If you think you know more on the subject than I do feel free to speak about it but if you want me to be intimidated by that when I was trying to offer my opinion and be of help, just get out. If it moves them, that leaves the obvious question. Why are there two people doing it simultaneously?

Limited
January 3rd, 2007, 01:05 AM
Tbh I think you'll find I didn't ask to get into an argument in the first place and it's quite unwelcome when some guy comes out of nowhere and tries to start one. If you think you know more on the subject than I do feel free to speak about it but if you want me to be intimidated by that when I was trying to offer my opinion and be of help, just get out. If it moves them, that leaves the obvious question. Why are there two people doing it simultaneously?Argument? Its called disagreeing pal...

Pooky
January 3rd, 2007, 11:41 AM
tbh i think you'll find i know more on the subject than you do.

It's called attempted condescensions pal

rossmum
January 3rd, 2007, 08:39 PM
http://h2vista.net/forums/images/customavatars/avatar61_3.gif

Shut up, both of you. I don't care who started it; I'm finishing it.

Btd69
January 3rd, 2007, 09:13 PM

Limited
January 4th, 2007, 10:37 AM
It's called attempted condescensions palPerhaps, but thats not an argument.

Im just saying, I know how this potentially could work and disagreed with your not thoughout answer :O

RELAAAAAAAAAAAX :D

Bodzilla
January 5th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Shut up, both of you. I don't care who started it; I'm finishing it.
lol thats such a mum thing to say. ha

but the mum has a point^

but Pat it looks great as allways. looking forward to hearing more about it

DaneO'Roo
January 5th, 2007, 05:11 AM
lol thats such a mum thing to say. ha

but the mum has a point^

but Pat it looks great as allways. looking forward to hearing more about it

yes the rossmum (lulz)is right quiet you two. If any decals or anything are needed, I can make em me thinks. If someone decides to model a gun, and needs skinning, I can help in that department too tbh

Limited
January 5th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Locke was on aim so i asked him. turns out we were both wrong lol :)

Its simpiler than we thought.

Also apparently alot of the credit is Locke's not pats..

gruntboy
January 6th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Wow, this is great.

Locke
January 6th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Also apparently alot of the credit is Locke's not pats..Indeed. I made the entire thing. I wrote the program and got all the adresses and gave it to pat because we were supposed to be working together but he didn't know how to do it. So I went away for Thanksgiving to be with my family and pat released a video claiming the portal gun to be his own :( It is incidents like this which make me never want to share any of my knowledge.

WhiteRaven
January 6th, 2007, 06:56 PM
<3

Bodzilla
January 6th, 2007, 08:15 PM
locke's been shafted :(

Patrickssj6
January 6th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Indeed. I made the entire thing. I wrote the program and got all the adresses and gave it to pat because we were supposed to be working together but he didn't know how to do it. So I went away for Thanksgiving to be with my family and pat released a video claiming the portal gun to be his own :( It is incidents like this which make me never want to share any of my knowledge.
Right.Lies lies lies.....You know that isn't true.I wrote the app and I knew you could do it aswell.

If people want the whole story I can write it.I'm pretty sure not even Locke knows it.

Locke
January 7th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Right.Lies lies lies.....You know that isn't true.I wrote the app and I knew you could do it aswell.

If people want the whole story I can write it.I'm pretty sure not even Locke knows it.You could have made your own program. I trust by now you can do that. But you know that I found every value concerning the actual teleportation. I did all the modifications to the map. At most you found the projectile Xyz(Which I'm pretty sure Beef did because you had to leave when it was time for you to do your part of the portal gun). I ended up having to do everything my self. Also, I have no reason to lie. Why should I? Pat, you are my friend despite what you did. I hope one day you'll own up to it.

Bodzilla
January 7th, 2007, 01:45 AM
:\
well taht was a shock i didnt see comming :\

rossmum
January 7th, 2007, 02:24 AM
O SHIT DRAMA!!!1

I don't know who to side with, they're both cool :(

Roostervier
January 7th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Wow, that's.. interesting. Ahem. Um, the way I see it, Locke at least did some of the work, or did all of it, I don't know. But at the least, some, so you still owe him some credit Pat.

Patrickssj6
January 7th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Sigh Whole Story:

YOU where the one contacting me and showing me the portal gun from valve.We both discussed how this could be done in HaloCE.I asked BEEF cause he is cool and sometimes has some cool ideas.On the first night you did the Sparkedit thing so we knew the Address.We decided both to have it in VB.NET so I started to write the app but we had problems with the projectile as you know.Next morning BEEF and me started to research projectiles for about an hour on a server.Then when we finally firgured a fixed address for projectiles wrote the app and finished it late night.Next day YOU weren't on and I told BEEF that I finished it.We wanted to DIVIDE the Forum Post so everybody gets equal credit we thought it would be the best way.We waited around 5 hours for you and you came on like what?1 AM?You weren't on and we waited.I posted on GBX and BEEF on HM cause he wanted it like this.I gave YOU credit and the APP says YOUR name!
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/4945/untitledbq3.png'
On the GBX post:

Credit:
Locke (HM Admin) has the idea and did much on the memory research.Without him I wouldn't be posting this.
BEEF!!! always finds a new way fo doing things. <3Then your sent me a PM saying that you are VERY dissapointed in me cause on GBX they mostly mentioned only my name.I couldn't forsee that and I know how it must be.I never did it on purpose but then you did something IMO stupid.You wrote another app with some knowledge we gave you and only gave yourself credit NEVER mentioning BEEF neither me (in the post) and posted it.I think that was very imature of you.

HM Post as a Proof:http://www.halomods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44935

Anyway....maybe we should learn now of the mistakes.

I like to work with your or your with me either way I think we should continue that way.:)

Roostervier
January 7th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Wow, glad this didn't turn into some flame war. I'm used to little kids whining and screaming, claiming they did all of it and no one else. I might have to get used to being on these forums(finally, no 6 year olds!).

rossmum
January 7th, 2007, 08:05 AM
There are a few, but they're mainly here for the CMT betas. I'd advise you avoid their section like the plague until the mod's been out for a while >_>

Patrickssj6
January 7th, 2007, 08:12 AM
There are a few, but they're mainly here for the CMT betas. I'd advise you avoid their section like the plague until the mod's been out for a while >_>
Did you read my post or did you missed it?;)

rossmum
January 7th, 2007, 08:16 AM
I saw it, I was just giving advice to flyinrooster.

Meatshield007
January 7th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Ross, you don't have to be so cruel. << I can't wait for this to be out. :o Or is it already? o_o Eh, oh well. :O

Limited
January 7th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Ross, you don't have to be so cruel. << I can't wait for this to be out. :o Or is it already? o_o Eh, oh well. :ORead the thread, this wont get released.

xp194
January 7th, 2007, 10:01 AM
dammit, it would be fun to send teammates to the other base and back

dinonid
January 7th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Awwww and this looked so good.

Shnoogins
January 8th, 2007, 06:30 PM
That looks....really fun

AiRgUItaR901
January 9th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Wow, very very very nice job, it was very interesting! I personally don't like that song though!

xXnintendorkXx
January 9th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Can hogs go though the portal? Or only people?

Patrickssj6
January 9th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Can hogs go though the portal? Or only people?
If I/we want to.
:)

JDMFSeanP
January 9th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Looks cool, im not gonna read through nine pages, but will it make a bigger hole or a texture or something?

Oh and BTW, this would be awesome if we could tele enemies with it haha.

Limited
January 10th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Looks cool, im not gonna read through nine pages, but will it make a bigger hole or a texture or something?

Oh and BTW, this would be awesome if we could tele enemies with it haha.
Doesnt need to be big hole any size will do :lol:

btw locke, if you read this we need to talk asap...

Edward Elrich
January 10th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I think what he meant was it's almost impossible to see the tiny black mark made by the gun right now. Is there any way to make that hole bigger (besides making it have an explosion radius, that's not what I mean) so you can see it easier?

Patrickssj6
January 10th, 2007, 01:41 PM
I think what he meant was it's almost impossible to see the tiny black mark made by the gun right now. Is there any way to make that hole bigger (besides making it have an explosion radius, that's not what I mean) so you can see it easier?
Yes I was working on that and stoppped then:eyesroll:

itszutak
January 10th, 2007, 01:56 PM
All you need is a different decal. <_<

Limited
January 10th, 2007, 03:27 PM
locke made it shoot a teleporter shield (the green thing)

Patrickssj6
January 10th, 2007, 06:50 PM
locke made it shoot a teleporter shield (the green thing)
He gave me the wrong address and thats why I just did it without it.

Limited
January 11th, 2007, 04:04 AM
He gave me the wrong address and thats why I just did it without it.
It was probably right address you just gave wrong value

Patrickssj6
January 11th, 2007, 03:15 PM
It was probably right address you just gave wrong value
Myabe maybe not.This doesn't matter anymore.This should be locked.

BEEF answer to Locke's Post:
"wow..."

He doesn't wanted to say his opinion and I don't think any of this matters anymore.

**LOCKED**