PDA

View Full Version : Halo Wars ingame footage!!

Masterz1337
July 11th, 2007, 10:05 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/video/935835/6174065/halo-wars-official-trailer-2#

Hotrod
July 11th, 2007, 10:07 AM
I was just about to make a thread about this, but you beat me. *shakes fist* It looks very cool and the graphics are very good. The Scarab really needs to be remade, it's quite ugly.

TeeKup
July 11th, 2007, 10:11 AM
That scarab had a flower for a head. Lawl.

Hotrod
July 11th, 2007, 10:23 AM
That's why it has to be changed.

nooBBooze
July 11th, 2007, 10:26 AM
not that impressing tbh. looks just slightly better than halogen imho.

Archon23
July 11th, 2007, 10:31 AM
It looks decent but now what I expect for a Xbox 360 release....pity that Halogen got foxed. It looked very very promising.

TeeKup
July 11th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I liked Halo Gen better TBH.

Pooky
July 11th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Meh. Looks a little too much like C&C had a baby with empire at war

DaneO'Roo
July 11th, 2007, 11:51 AM
>_>

<_<

You people are silly, that looks awesome!

Also, wtf did halogen even look like? I've never seen 1 video or anything.

Archon23
July 11th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Why Hello Thar

Link cause I don't know how to embed:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=12AmXp_bc-k

And some lovely gameplay footage of the Covanant:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ms8BPkuU3IY

http://func-auton.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/halogen1sm.jpg

thehoodedsmack
July 11th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I like the look of some of the new UNSC tech. But not that OMG-MISSLE-SPOLSION!!! thinger they showed near the end.

Apoc4lypse
July 11th, 2007, 12:31 PM
i have to agree halo gen definately had a better style going tbh... theres alot of inaccuracies in ensembles production XD main one being the scarab lolz...

the unsc buildings seem kind of week tbh, they could have done better, halogens looked better to me i think...

and damn now that I watch those videos I wish halogen didnt get axed by ms or w/e... I hope somehow somthing gets out from it.. a beta anything.. I'd love to play it, lol I just began playing generals again too recently.

EDIT: Anyone notice the wierd music in that video lol, the music even sounds generals esque, wit the guitar riff going in the background lol wtf is up with that.

DaneO'Roo
July 11th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Why Hello Thar

THAT is what all the halogen was the fuss about? It's ok, but to say it looks like what I just seen, is a total load of crap.

Archon23
July 11th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Well there is a mod for Star Wars Empire at War thats turning it into Halo.

No site or anything really due to the fact they don't want Microsoft to hunt em down.

I have to agree though Esembles did get some of the crap wrong or just made it look too much as though they're trying to copy C&C

Dano I never said that it looked graphically like Halo Wars. Its just that I prefered they the way they made it. I mean Halo Wars right now looks to me like C&C and EAW mushed together and Halo content just added in there. These modders took their time replicating Halo's things to the detail and adding some of their own custom content. Its a real shame they spent 3 years on it and it was shut down. A Private Beta was just about to be released to......

But thats just my opinion.....

SnaFuBAR
July 11th, 2007, 01:27 PM
i never knew the covies were scottish.

TIA Gangsta
July 11th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Why Hello Thar

Is it me, or does that screenshot look A LOT like Halo: Combat Evolved, except more action and the camera is in the air?

And call me a noob, but what the hell is HaloGen?

Mr Buckshot
July 11th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Halogen was a mod for Command and Conquer Generals that essentially made a Halo RTS via the C&C engine.

Microsoft got on to it, said it was an infraction of copyright laws, and told them to shut down their mod.

Pity, I was looking forward to it. I suspect MS shut it down because they wanted to sell Halo Wars (which looks pretty good too, except that the X360 controller really isn't ideal for RTS's, as the latest C&C proved).

Hotrod
July 11th, 2007, 07:13 PM
I've actually played a RTS on the 360 and it's not as bad as you would think it would be

itszutak
July 11th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I love how the scorps look almost exactly the same as the H1 scorps (model resolution-wise), even though this is an RTS with, hopefully, at least ten times as many objects on-screen at one time.

How technology's changed. :)

EDIT: Actually, those two youtube videos you took, the ones labeled "Halogen"? Different halo-based RTS. I had no idea how far they were in the project when it was shut down...Now I'm pissed at MS again. :(

Amit
July 11th, 2007, 10:21 PM
IT's stupid that HW is XBox exclusive.

Hotrod
July 12th, 2007, 12:03 PM
IT's stupid that HW is XBox exclusive.

More or less. I'd get it on 360 even if it was for PC as well because my PC would never dream of running it.

Warsaw
July 12th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Halogen was a mod for Command and Conquer Generals that essentially made a Halo RTS via the C&C engine.

Microsoft got on to it, said it was an infraction of copyright laws, and told them to shut down their mod.

Pity, I was looking forward to it. I suspect MS shut it down because they wanted to sell Halo Wars (which looks pretty good too, except that the X360 controller really isn't ideal for RTS's, as the latest C&C proved).

But if they weren't selling the mod, how can it be an infringement? There are Halo mods for other games out there (UT2004, Half-Life, Battlefield 1942/Vietnam, etc.). I think Microsoft stepped out of line there, and the modders were just afraid of Microsoft's massive lawsuit abilities.

Amit
July 12th, 2007, 02:29 PM
They should have hired the people who were making the mod, unfortunately microsoft thinks that certified game developers can recreate something special that someone else made. Halogen actually looked like it was working great with Generals. The voices seemed to be unchanged though.

FRain
July 12th, 2007, 02:39 PM
They should make a Starcraft Halo Mod.

Warsaw
July 12th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Or a C&C3 Halo Mod, just to cut into Microsoft's sales.

Mr Buckshot
July 12th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I've actually played a RTS on the 360 and it's not as bad as you would think it would be

Command and Conquer 3, right? Tried it at the store, and you're right, it's not too bad, but the lack of hotkeys can be irritating. I think the PC experience has spoiled us all.

Mouse precision isn't the thing I miss when I play an RTS with a gamepad - after all, I sometimes play AoE3 using the TOUCH PAD on my laptop. But a keyboard has over 80 keys so you can map important functions to various keys for a hectic battle. A gamepad only has so many buttons, so the progress is much slower than I'd like. At least one of the analog sticks can be freed up since only one pointing device is required. Trust me, it's far more convenient to tap a key than to navigate a menu of commands.

well, I've never been very good at RTS's (yes, I fail, I could not beat the William Wallace training campaign in AOE2 on hardest, and I'm still stuck on the Chinese campaign in Generals).

Still, considering how successful Ensemble was with the "Age of..." series, Halo Wars should be good. Also it will likely come to the PC, just not now. Hope the PC port won't be too long and it won't be fouled up.

Best part of Halo Wars will be viewing the action on a 55" 1080p Sony Wega HDTV - pure ownage over viewing it on a 20" 1680x1050 monitor.

Hotrod
July 12th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Command and Conquer 3, right?

Nope, Lord Of The Rings, but it wasn't designed to be used on a console and it still worked well. I'm not worried about the controls.

Amit
July 12th, 2007, 10:04 PM
The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth 2 worked surprisingly well with the 360 controller when I tried it at Toys R' Us.

Skiiran
July 13th, 2007, 12:22 AM
But if they weren't selling the mod, how can it be an infringement? There are Halo mods for other games out there (UT2004, Half-Life, Battlefield 1942/Vietnam, etc.). I think Microsoft stepped out of line there, and the modders were just afraid of Microsoft's massive lawsuit abilities.
From what I heard (and this is from some rather strange places), it's because it would have boosted sales for an EA strategy game which Halo Wars was to compete with. If Halogen had turned out massively better than Halo Wars, not only would it cut deeply into MS's profits, but it would give EA vast amounts of money for a game that's four years old.

But it isn't all bad. Since the guys who made it actually had quite a bit of unique content to fill in gaps in each military, they've actually advanced on to create a new custom IP mod.

Halo Wars itself looks pretty cool. I wish the video had a bit faster-paced combat, though. Looks pretty slow, from what I saw.

Mr Buckshot
July 13th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I have high hopes for this game. Age of Empires 2 and 3 were excellent RTS's, and therefore Halo Wars has very high standards to live up to.

n00b1n8R
July 13th, 2007, 06:21 PM
looks cool (I wonder what would happen if the hog failed the jump :O)

that scarab is epic crap though :mad:

Pooky
July 13th, 2007, 06:25 PM
THAT is what all the halogen was the fuss about? It's ok, but to say it looks like what I just seen, is a total load of crap.

The point was never that Halogen was necessarily so much better (even though it is), the point is that Microsoft shut down what I would call a spectacular show of loyalty to the series, especially to make a game that hasn't as yet been shown to be that great or original.

Bastinka
July 13th, 2007, 06:49 PM
That's HaloGen, not Halo Wars.

Digikid
July 13th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Looking great!

Warsaw
July 13th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I don't know, I didn't like Age of Empires too much. I prefer Empire Earth, Rise of Nations, Dark Reign (1, 2), and Command & Conquer more...

Bastinka
July 13th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I think it's more or less that Microsoft wants no competition at all, this means mod's also.

Anyway, I like RTS games and am really looking forward to Halo Wars. :lol:

Warsaw
July 13th, 2007, 08:37 PM
So really, they still had no right to tear down the mod. It wasn't being sold for a profit, and as long as EA didn't sell it with their game in a package, it is not infringing on anything.

That lawsuit would have failed.

nOOb1n8R
July 14th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Your mom failed :maddowns:

Reaper Man
July 14th, 2007, 08:53 AM
DoW: DC for me kthx.

Arteen
July 14th, 2007, 09:06 AM
That lawsuit would have failed.
No, Microsoft was fully allowed to shut it down, especially considering the Halogen team was using Microsoft's IP to create a product that would compete with their own Halo Wars game, resulting in possible lost profit.

bleach
July 14th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Halo 3 would beat Halo Wars any day!
edit: That scarab looks gay, the graphics look like crap in one scene, and the ground is ugly.

Warsaw
July 14th, 2007, 03:50 PM
They could have moved to a different IP. Microsoft still had no right to shut it down. Just because something may cut into a company's sales doesn't necessarily give that company the right to disband whatever it is that is causing them to lose money. It's called competition and capitalism.

thehoodedsmack
July 14th, 2007, 04:02 PM
1. They could have moved to a different IP.

2. Microsoft still had no right to shut it down.

3. Just because something may cut into a company's sales doesn't necessarily give that company the right to disband whatever it is that is causing them to lose money. It's called competition and capitalism.

1. Huh? Are you confusing Intellectual Property with Internet Protocol?

2. Yes they did. Bungie is owned by Microsoft, and Halogen was using their IP, without permission

3. No it doesn't. But you know what does? See # 2.

Warsaw
July 14th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Yes, I was confusing the two.
The team wasn't making profit off of the mod, therefore, it was fair use of intellectual property. If it weren't, you would see The UT2k4 mod Troopers: Dawn of Destiny shut down, you would see Halo 2 CE shut down, and you would see ZTeam shut down.

Unless Halogen was using ripped content, in which case my statements are void. However, nobody has said they were ripped, so I assume that the content is not.

klange
July 14th, 2007, 05:31 PM
All of their content was custom made, there really wasn't a reason to shut them down except for the plans for Halo Wars, but even then, how do they expect a mod to get in the way of a full commercial game?
If you ask me, they had no reason to do it.

Archon23
July 14th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Its dead get over it.

Bungie just wanted to protect its IP a little too much. Its like Fox and what happened to Alien Mods. Fox wanted to protect its IP so much they basically had every Alien mod obliterated. Hence the term Foxed mods. Same deal only Halo.

Why do you think Halo: First Offensive doesn't have a site?

Warsaw
July 14th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Lol, so they can't be sniffed out.

Archon23
July 14th, 2007, 05:43 PM
And when its released so many people will download it Microsoft can't do a thing. MWAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAH! Ha....ha.....

Unless of course they have an update which scans our comp and deletes those files.......but they wouldn't do that right? ........right? :eyesroll:

thehoodedsmack
July 14th, 2007, 05:49 PM
The team wasn't making profit off of the mod, therefore, it was fair use of intellectual property.

No. The use of Bungie's intellectual property whatsoever enables them to stop the project. Other projects like the ones you mentioned aren't stopped because they aren't interfering with Bungie, or whoever the respectful owner may be's business.

Agamemnon
July 14th, 2007, 06:43 PM
It looked like C&C 3 slapped with a Halo look over it.

I still liked it better when it was in the alpha stages.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Agamemnon582bc/Stuff&#37;20from%20Halo%20CE/OMGHaloCraft.jpg

Archon23
July 14th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Can. We. Please. Drop. This?

Halogen is dead. Its been dead and will always be dead. If we need to discuss it we could make a thread about this but this threads about the Halo Wars footage. Even if there is nothing much to talk about this still isn't the thread to discuss the closing of Halogen.

Edit: Off topic so I'm a hypocrite here but is that Starcraft?

et_cg
July 14th, 2007, 06:54 PM
It's lol when you can see the lens flare of the hog lights from behind the light.

Arteen
July 14th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Yes, I was confusing the two.
The team wasn't making profit off of the mod, therefore, it was fair use of intellectual property.
Still not true. It was potentially hurting Microsoft's sales.

If it weren't, you would see The UT2k4 mod Troopers: Dawn of Destiny shut down, you would see Halo 2 CE shut down, and you would see ZTeam shut down.
LucasArts said they were okay with T:DoD, but they could have shut it down if they wanted. Bungie was obviously fine with H2CE. Since Microsoft obviously doesn't care about their own H2V, I doubt they know or care about ZTeam.

Warsaw
July 14th, 2007, 07:38 PM
They had a problem with T: DoD using the Star Wars music. The music was removed, and that is why they are still around.

And with your logic, I can be arrested for drawing a picture of the Master Chief. That doesn't make any sense at all.

As far as Halo Wars goes, I only have a problem with the Scarab. Everything else looked quite entertaining.

Skiiran
July 14th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Are we even certain it's a Scarab, or are we just drawing the conclusion based on the fact that it has four legs and a plasma death thing? It looks about 25&#37; smaller than an actual scarab, too.

Warsaw
July 14th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Maybe its just that things are out of proportion for the sake of it being an RTS, and the player needs to see his/her units, like in Empire Earth or Age of Empires.

Skiiran
July 14th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I mean everywhere I see it, even in the new Halo 3 trailer.

Mr Buckshot
July 14th, 2007, 08:21 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Agamemnon582bc/Stuff%20from%20Halo%20CE/OMGHaloCraft.jpg

is that a starcraft mod?

itszutak
July 14th, 2007, 08:36 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Agamemnon582bc/Stuff%20from%20Halo%20CE/OMGHaloCraft.jpg
Fake.

All that is is a picture of a CE (AI)map with a UI slapped on top.

Agamemnon
July 14th, 2007, 08:48 PM
is that a starcraft mod?
I thought you were around at GBX for that Photoshop madness? I posted this the first day the Halo Wars forum was up and was banned from my first post. Greatest time ever.

Con
July 14th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I was expecting something better from Halo Wars

Archon23
July 14th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I was expecting something better from Ensemble. I mean the final version had better make me lose as many or close to the number of productive hours I lost on the AoE series.

Boba
July 19th, 2007, 06:22 PM
For the people who haven't noticed, the Halo Wars (http://www.halowars.com/) site has been revamped.