PDA

View Full Version : I think my friend needs help. :(

itszutak
July 11th, 2007, 11:28 PM
So...I have this friend, whose name I'll not tell, in case she finds this page. Let's call her "Y".

Y lives quite a distance from me; so I was glad when she was able to come to my house recently. We were chatting, having fun, etc.

Once she was sure nobody else was in the room, she said this: "Do you know why suicidal people are happy? Because they know."

I look at her in horror, and she says this: "Don't believe me?" and then raises her arm so I can see multiple gashes and cuts, signs that she's been cutting herself. She then tells me to promise I won't tell anybody.

Being the pussy I am, I told my father that night. His response? "I know. I'm doing what I can."

Now, Y isn't the person I picture as suicidal. She's funny, smart, and the only sign that she could be thinking anything dark is that she listens to...well, dark music. Suicide, breaking up, death, etc.

But here's what's bothering me. Besides this one mentioning of her plans, she is doing pretty much the opposite of suicide. She worries about school next year, how to deal with somebody who has a crush on her, etc; all long-term things.

In fact, were it not for the cuts and my father, I'd have believed she was joking.

Now I'm worried. What do I do? Does anybody else think she is planning suicide?

And if you're here to laugh at me or are going to, in any way, ridicule me, you can kindly fuck off. I've already had one good friend of mine die on me, and I don't want another, especially now that I know that she is planning suicide.

Dr Nick
July 11th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Haha, you failed to notice a lot of things.

A. Smarter people are very often more depressed than... not smart people(or Dumb).

B. She's probably worried about how the crush would feel if she committed suicide, how people will talk about her in school, etc...

C. Comedians aren't always happy, Jim Carrey for example, takes antidepressants.

Now go get her help.

EDIT: Oh, and if you're bullshitting, I'll shit on your face.

AAA
July 11th, 2007, 11:43 PM
well.....only thing is to show her people love her and that you would do so much for her to keep living and enjoy life with everyone. Now if she's thinking long terms without even considering the fact she's gonna die (kill herself) then she will NOT commit suicide I promise you that.

I've een a round someone like this before and she's living life as a prep now...kinda creeps me out sometimes, but I still love her. (as a good friend)

itszutak
July 11th, 2007, 11:57 PM
well.....only thing is to show her people love her and that you would do so much for her to keep living and enjoy life with everyone. Now if she's thinking long terms without even considering the fact she's gonna die (kill herself) then she will NOT commit suicide I promise you that.

I've een a round someone like this before and she's living life as a prep now...kinda creeps me out sometimes, but I still love her. (as a good friend)
Thank you. :)

I definitely feel a lot less worried, knowing that there are other people who have thought of suicide and didn't actually go through with it.

Roostervier
July 12th, 2007, 12:01 AM
You aren't a pussy for telling your father... Why would that ever make you a pussy? If you told him, you did the right thing; this is something you want prevented, and you did what you did to prevent it. If anyone ever tells anyone to keep that thing a secret, that's bullshit. I'd never, ever keep shit like that a secret. If she needs help, she needs help. She may feel betrayed for a while, but I'd rather lose a friend by saving her than letting her die. I doubt that is just something that I feel, and I certainly hope other people feel that way too. Besides, what chance do you have to be that persons friend again if they are dead? Nothing is ever worth it at that point. I would ask my dad what he plans to do about it since he knows. I hope he is talking to some people about getting help. I've got no idea what do you in your position at the moment, maybe I will think of something.

[edit] Oh yeah, there is always the chance that they won't hate you for doing it either, so that's always nice. All I am saying is, keep what you are doing, and maybe spend more time around her so she doesn't want to do it or just can't because you are with her.

Dole
July 12th, 2007, 12:15 AM
It seems she's a perfectionist who's conscientious about her self-image, her work, and her reputation: point out the physical imperfections that are scarring brought about by her slicing her wrists, and the fact that those imperfections will be undone if they remain unagitated.

She is probably already aware of this, but once she realizes that this visage that she recognizes of herself has breached her own comprehension and is being perceived by others outside of her own perspective, her drive to re-immaculate her complexion will convince her to stop. Also, ask her what the hell she's looking to accomplish through all of this, and knock some sense into her... capitalize on her desire to be productive and make her obsess over investing in and maintaining a constructive disposition.

However, I implore that you accordingly acclimate this strategy to the degree of her likeness unto the personality I described. Also keep in mind that this is a first step, and only a temporary solution.

ALSO, ask her what suicidal people "know," and post it immediately. I may not be able to get back to you until maybe sunday or tuesday, but the sooner I can understand her mentality, the quicker I can consel you on what to do next.

As a final note of caution, remember who you're dealing with and what kind of state they're in: TREAD CAREFULLY. Hide your intentions under the guise of compassion; do not feel callous and apathetic, but keep focused on the task at hand and examine her. What I tell you is to not let any trace of your ulterior motive breach the surface; through SINCERE compassion, you will flatter her and keep her unable to hone in on your inquisitive nature. Although she will undoubtably suspect that you are trying to probe her for information or collaborating against her plans (she's clever, she's suspicious, and she's astute), it will be only a fleeting wisp of thought; it is her defense mechainism of deluding herself into the belief that she is all-aware and therefore in control of the situation, however the fact that she is just a human (and a naive one at that) will not allow her to sufficiently comprehend her suspicions, coupled with the newfound confidence she has fostered in the current belief in her omniscience, will result in her undisputed trust for you in whatever you may choose to follow through with.

Dr Nick
July 12th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Ya know, half the people that read that wont understand it...

S0 in liek uddr wrdz, (I'll talk stupid now):

mak hurr fil bettrr n stuf n liek shel stop beeng sad and stuf.
den shel be hppy and wont die!!!1!11!

Or, if you couldn't read that(I barely could):
Point out how well she's doing in life, and the fact that she's actually living, and hope that she snaps out of this overly emotional state. Bad things only last so long. Christ, get her to read this thread and see how important a living person is compared to a dead person.

Bodzilla
July 12th, 2007, 03:01 AM
i had a fella i grew up with comit suicide a few months ago.

he had it all. good looks (he pulled the babes), he was flying around the world playing cricket, he was an unbelievable sportsman, a crazy academic with straight A marks for all his work and he was the school captain.

i have gotten over alot of deaths from family members, long term friends, other young people but to this day anytime i think of dylan black i remember what he had, and how he gave it up.
i just wish i knew why. it's the Why thats killing me.

do what u can to hep your friend, because your dead along time.

itszutak
July 12th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Well, I've talked with her...hopefully she'll be okay.

She seems like a really happy person, but I can see some parts of her life that may suck.

Thanks for the advice, everybody!