PDA

View Full Version : 2 Fog Planes in 1 map?

fatso784
July 13th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I'm really confused on how to get 2 water fog planes(fog from B30) in 1 map. The main base is a dam, and there is a stream flowing out from a crack in the wall on one side, while on the other there is a giant lake. As you can see, I need the water level to be higher on one side. This poses quite a dilemna to me -.-

If any of you could give me advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Ki11a_FTW
July 13th, 2007, 09:46 AM
i just make boxes instead of planes. that way the fog stays in that area

fatso784
July 13th, 2007, 09:48 AM

I apologize for being a noob but: You can do that? Oo

fatso784
July 14th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I tried what you said EP_Killa, but I still get the "two fog planes intersected" error, so I still need to figure out how to make 2 water fog planes of different levels on each side of a dam wall. Does anyone else have any suggestions? It's really the onlly thing holding me back from completing this map.

Ki11a_FTW
July 14th, 2007, 12:22 PM
detach each side of the box, and move them away from each other A LITTLE

fatso784
July 14th, 2007, 12:29 PM
You mean delete the sides of the box, so only the top and bottom faces remain, essentially having 2 planes on either side of the map? ill try that.

Roostervier
July 14th, 2007, 12:30 PM
I tried what you said EP_Killa, but I still get the "two fog planes intersected" error, so I still need to figure out how to make 2 water fog planes of different levels on each side of a dam wall. Does anyone else have any suggestions? It's really the onlly thing holding me back from completing this map.

I have never heard of that box method before either. If you plan on using more than one very near each other, I suggest you learn how to make portals really well, as you cannot have more than one fog plane per portal.

fatso784
July 14th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Yeah I have never really tried portals but I was thinking of portaling each side of the map so the fog would only go so far, but I'm still not exactly sure thatll work either. The fogs are separated by a wall, but in halo I dont think that matters, itll still give the error. I'll try Killa's method and then look into portaling if that doesnt work.

EDIT: Thanks alot flyinrooster portaling the map worked!! EDIT: Sorta..........

EDIT #2: The structure and lightmaps compile, but the fog still only appears in 1 fog region. How can I change the fog in the 2nd fog region? -->

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/7431/untitledak9.png

kenney001
July 14th, 2007, 03:19 PM
use k00rnman's gurilla mb? IDK i have never tried it...

Ki11a_FTW
July 14th, 2007, 05:43 PM
agh, you guys dont understand :eyesroll:

fatso784
July 14th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Lol well I tried a lot of stuff, but none of it worked, so I'm going to give up the dam idea. The map will be released sometime this week then...don't expect much from me, though. Thanks for all your help, anyhow.

Aerowyn
July 14th, 2007, 08:49 PM
It is impossible to have two separate fog planes in a single BSP.

The other section is there for use in multiple BSP scenarios.

fatso784
July 14th, 2007, 08:54 PM
It is impossible to have two separate fog planes in a single BSP.

The other section is there for use in multiple BSP scenarios.

I know it's impossible, after wasting a day on this crap. It's been in production for months, and frankly now that I see the map with proper lighting and a realistic grass texture, I feel it'd be so much easier to just scrap the idea and move on.

Apoc4lypse
July 15th, 2007, 09:40 PM

boy oh boy do I wish that worked with fog planes, oh the fun I would have with water lol.

Yea, as far as I kno you can really only place 1 fog plane in a single bsp, and that plane spreads out in every direction infinitely, and then downward infinitely (or upward depending on what way its facing.)

Altho I never tried putting them horrizontally or on an angle... XD, just flat right side up or upside down.

EDIT: wait killa is it possible to actualy do that... I never played around with it that much... I always kind of figured only 1 fog plane per bsp.

legionaire45
July 16th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Couldn't you possibly have a single plane that goes like this (except all one piece):
____
____/

where the "/" is hidden by your dam? I haven't fiddled with fog too much so I don't know, but I think it would be worth a shot. Unless of coarse I completely misunderstand what your trying to do.

fatso784
July 16th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Yeah I thought that too until I figured out that bending a plane like that actually counted as 3 fog planes.

Apoc4lypse
July 18th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Yeah I thought that too until I figured out that bending a plane like that actually counted as 3 fog planes.

thats because it is 3 planes... each flat surface = 1 plane where or not there connected or not.

As for what killa was talking about idk...

I've always thought that it wasn't possible to make a contained fog plane, because fog planes leak in every direction you can't specify there size.

fletcher77
July 24th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Have you done this?

Tweek
July 24th, 2007, 11:31 AM
you can only have 1 Fog plane PER CLUSTER

seperate your bsp by portals.

also, a fog plane doesnt need to span the entire area you want fog in.
it can just be a small square floating in the middle of the cluster, it's height will mark the height of the fog in that cluster.

Apoc4lypse
July 24th, 2007, 04:32 PM
you can only have 1 Fog plane PER CLUSTER

seperate your bsp by portals.

also, a fog plane doesnt need to span the entire area you want fog in.
it can just be a small square floating in the middle of the cluster, it's height will mark the height of the fog in that cluster.

interesting.. I nevar knew that.

So I can make some exact portals and put different fog planes in each portal.. thats kool. :eek: lol

Oxygen
July 26th, 2007, 10:00 AM
curious, i haven't experiamented with fog planes, so pardon me for asking, but does the plane have to be completely flat or could it be rotated at all? because if you can't get working portals, i suggest adjusting the plane. hmmm...if tha's not possible, i would be happy to try and help you with portals. i've honestly never neede 2 fog planes before...but i like your dam idea.

~Oxy

btw, i don't read sig rules