PDA

View Full Version : Map: Twist beta

Arteen
July 14th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Name: Twist (beta)
DL: http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?pg=3&fid=2987

This is a beta of a map I started working on some months ago for CMT (although weapons and other tags in the beta are my usual ones). It's a mostly symmetric, medium-sized, vehicle-based map. It features some Covenant-styled architecture. More info in the readme.

http://arteen.halonews.org/images/cmt_twist/twist_wip_000_full.jpg
http://arteen.halonews.org/images/cmt_twist/twist_wip_002_full.jpg
http://arteen.halonews.org/images/cmt_twist/twist_wip_004_full.jpg

More pics at my site (http://arteen.halonews.org/collaborative/cmt_twist.html).

Author: Arteen
Game: Halo: Custom Edition

This is a beta release of the map Twist. It was started as a CMT map, and may become one if a final version is made. I haven't touched it for a while, so I thought I'd better release it partially complete than let it rot.

The map is set in a gulch intersected by a river. The Covenant have set up installations on either side for an unknown purpose. The map is medium-sized and mostly symmetric.

Special Thanks:
Tiamat for tags used in his ncyborg
CtrAltDestroy for the weapon backpack tags
Lightning and H2CE for teleporters and flag bases
dg945 for some tags, beta testing, concepts, ideas, and for being a great help in general
Wave of Lag for making me learn how to UV unwrap
baturkin17 of halonews.org and Phil of modhalo.net for hosting
Timo, FriedMetroid, I_Am_Error117, Ð4ÑØ *, Hurrvish, Hotrod, n00b1n8R, Sunray, SMASH, and anyone else I may have forgotten who helped with early testing and suggestions

Honestly I'm probably not going to touch the map ever again, so I wanted to get out what I got done with it, unpolished as it is. The map didn't turn out quite like I initially hoped.

Trinx
July 14th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Wow, I can tell you the gameplay on this looks bland and boring (like another Blood Gulch, except the bases are closed off >_>), it seems as though you just randomly placed scenery as well. The main area kind of lacks big time; It's just a big field with a bunch of scenery plastered all over it. Good job on the looks though, I guess.

Ki11a_FTW
July 14th, 2007, 10:38 PM
just played it, it had pretty good gameplay.. but coould use some more detail in some spots

Bossniak
July 14th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Looks alright, might check it out.

EDIT: Just played it and its better than I thought. Nice job for a not finished map.

Hotrod
July 14th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Wow, I've had this map since March or something like that. I'm dissapointed to hear that you're not working on it anymore.

Reaper Man
July 15th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Wow, looking good!

Arteen
July 15th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

Wow, I can tell you the gameplay on this looks bland and boring (like another Blood Gulch, except the bases are closed off >_>), it seems as though you just randomly placed scenery as well. The main area kind of lacks big time; It's just a big field with a bunch of scenery plastered all over it. Good job on the looks though, I guess.
Indeed. The map didn't have the potential I thought it had when I first started working on it, so I didn't feel it was worth the effort to polish a map that won't turn out that great anyway (but it is/was for CMT, so it would fit right in, quality-wise! :p).

Is this the same one as before or updated? The first post doesn't really make that clear
It's updated, now with proper netgame flags, weapons, spawns, and barriers to prevent leaving the map, but not much else. Mostly to make it playable.

Con
July 15th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Hey, that looks pretty damn nice! Good job.

I_Am_Error117
July 15th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Thank you for letting me beta it. I liked the caves Idea that you had, but alas, the foot paths are cool too.

Elite Killa
July 15th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I like [/borat]

Pretty good for about 8-14 players.

fatso784
July 15th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Nice map but too little architecture for my taste.

Rentafence
July 16th, 2007, 12:23 PM
The Covenant stuff is pretty cool. I wish there were more Covenant styled maps. :(

Apoc4lypse
July 16th, 2007, 06:52 PM
wow, I'm impressed with this map... the layout somehow reminds me of a combination of bloodgulch and sidewinder, but in a desert theme... the bases kind of remind me of bloodgulches design although there covienent, then I'd say some battlecreek style is added from the river, very nice ideas. Me likes, only i'd reccomend is making the covinent textures looks more like theyve been out in the desert since the map seems desert looking, needs some sand wear and tear, but its a beta :D

very nice :cool:

bleach
July 16th, 2007, 07:02 PM
It looks good, I downloaded the map yesterday, but I haven't played Twist_Beta yet.
Are the weapons and contents (HUD, etc.) sets classic or custom?

Archon23
July 16th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Its classic. Id love to see this map properly finished and added with CMT's custom weapon set. Seeing as you said this was supposed to be a CMT map.

fatso784
July 16th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Yeah add the CMT shine to it. It's just like polishing a shoe.

...if only I could buy CMT's magic in stores....

bleach
July 16th, 2007, 11:11 PM
I think Twist_beta has the potential to become CMT_Twist. Add some CMT vehicles, weapons, etc. This is a really nice map. Like said in some other thread, the time of day can maybe change to night (with those flood lights from T & R) with grass.:)

The Last Peanut
July 17th, 2007, 07:46 AM
I like good job

keilg2
July 18th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Heh, Nice Work on the details and bitmaping, but its still just another CTF crazy map to me

+rep anyway :cool:

Digikid
July 19th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Nice map!!!!! Well Done Arteen!

AAA
July 19th, 2007, 06:37 PM
This is sad....I honestly expected more out of this map...after 1 minute of play, I found BSP holes. Weapons fall through map near bridge areas....plasma pistol's uncharged projectile hits ground...it give a blue plasma burn instead of green.... found plenty more but this isn't a bug thread. I'm just dissapointed. Nice layout and stuff though..

Rosco
July 24th, 2007, 06:52 PM
This is sad....I honestly expected more out of this map...after 1 minute of play, I found BSP holes. Weapons fall through map near bridge areas....plasma pistol's uncharged projectile hits ground...it give a blue plasma burn instead of green.... found plenty more but this isn't a bug thread. I'm just dissapointed. Nice layout and stuff though..

Beta :downs:

Sorry if it seems like I'm trolling you btw :(

Haha, Killer, me, mal, kyle and some others were getting up past the barrier and ontop of the level, lots of lulz, lots of fun, and lots of piss yourself laughing moments :D

Arteen
July 24th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Beta :downs:
Indeed.

Haha, Killer, me, mal, kyle and some others were getting up past the barrier and ontop of the level, lots of lulz, lots of fun, and lots of piss yourself laughing moments :D
Aww, I wasn't there. At least it sounds like the barrier worked. :p

Rosco
July 25th, 2007, 06:04 AM
The barrier did work, killer was jumping around ontop of the level and fell in, and we also managed to get ontop of the invisible wall :)

DaneO'Roo
July 25th, 2007, 06:56 AM
I think it's awesome, great to see a covenant map, with a twist, it's outdoorsey!

I'd like to see you improve in this covenant stuff. Really could work awesome if more design thought gets put in.

I love it!