PDA

View Full Version : [GMOD] Garry's Mod

Zeph
July 15th, 2007, 12:55 PM
So I've started to burn myself out of EVE after earning 250 mil ISK in a day. H2V absolutely sucks, 2142 is too repetitive to hold my attention, CS:S is next to impossible to enjoy at H2V's mouse acceleration has absolutely killed my aiming, Far Cry has the same mouse thing, Shadowrun isn't holding my attention, Halo/CE has dropped in quality of players, and Starcraft wont get past the first level for me. So, I've started dabbling in Source modding and picked up Gary's Mod 10 (the one you pay for) for prototyping and enjoying all the cool things you can do/make. Anyone else have it? I dont really have a clue on what to do. ^_^

Roostervier
July 15th, 2007, 01:02 PM
I have it, it is quite fun. I usually mess around with posing, among other things.

Emmzee
July 15th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I make comics. Like these. (http://www.drunkduck.com/City_Life)

PenGuin1362
July 15th, 2007, 01:34 PM
yea i got it, what's your steam id? we can play sometime. oh and get dod:s >_>

mR_r0b0to
July 15th, 2007, 01:40 PM
It's really fun :D

now gimme some iskies if you gonna leave. pweez? :)

Bastinka
July 15th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I think it's spelled Garry's Mod 10, nonetheless it's a fun game. It gets boring after a while though. Theres lots of mods that are really fun, take example in Obsidian Conflict you can fish and catch all assortments of crazy creatures, weapons and whatnot. Obsidian conflict is both an RPG and a Co-op mod. Another good mod is Battlegrounds, which is a re-enactment of the Revolutionary war where you have to capture bases. The guns are very nice and the animations and stuff for them are very nice. Synergy is also a full on co-op mod which is very fun to play with another person.

Garry's mod is sort of a 'build-it' or 'screw around with stuff' mod, it's very fun to play with others and screw around or build stuff. The zombie mod in Garrys mod is very exciting and fun to play. I recommend all mods for super fun :D

Contact me on xfire (footballbud24) if you want download links to downloads or a friend to play with. :)

Zeph
July 15th, 2007, 02:21 PM
my steam ID is zeph_solaris

Bastinka
July 15th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I added you.

Emmzee
July 15th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I did too.

Zeph
July 15th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I cant get anything to pose. Hows the best way to do it?

Bastinka
July 15th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Physics gun, pose em and right click to freeze the object / bone.

EDIT: Press and hold e to rotate, then use the mouse to rotate in that direction. Shift + E will give you snaps to 45 degree rotations.

Dal
July 15th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Send me your Eve money, I'll take away its burden! :P

Zeph
July 15th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Agamemnon does a really good job at posing. He'll have to show me his method sometime. I'm about to go to bed. After I get up, I'd love to host a h2v.net Gmod 10 server and get a bunch people here in it sometime.

Chronos
July 15th, 2007, 03:13 PM
I have Garry's Mod as well.

Ok, to pose.. well all you have to use is the physics gun.

Get it out and maybe a ragdoll as well.
I always grab the head first, so grab it first. Then place it in the right position and fix the position.
If you want to rotate a certain part, hold E and then move your mouse.
Now you can use the Face poser or eye poser tool to make your ragdoll look like a tard.

Another thing you might want to know is, how to you weld stuff the right way.
Let's say you have 3 crates and you would like to weld them together.
Use the Weld tool and weld from 1 to 2, 1 to 3. Then weld from 2 to 1 and 1 to 3 and then you just do it again from 3 to 2, 3 to 1. A funky way of doing it, but I know that it's somewhat the right way to do so.

My steam username would be evo_hunter so feel free to add me!

Agamemnon
July 15th, 2007, 07:19 PM
You'll first want to start out at the Facepunch Studios forums. Not only do they have plenty of tutorials for the many things you can do with Garry's Mod, but they have tons of downloadable content for you to add into Gmod10.

http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/

As for posing goes...well, I had Gmod9 before (the free version) and learned the basics there. In Gmod9 it was customary for you to grab the head first, but I've found in Gmod10 posing things are a lot easier if you grab the chest first and get it at the level you want it. That way you can then position the head and then learn the body front or back easily. Everything else you'll learn that the ragdoll is all about its joints. The head is one; the left shoulder blade, the left arm, and the left hand are all three separate joints, as are the right counterparts; the chest is another; the pelvis is actually divided into two different starting at the thighs; the legs and the feet are two separate joints as well. Once you know your joints by heart and you know the trick to posing, then everything will come a lot smoother to you.

Amit
July 15th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Well there should be tooltips, I'm not so fond of it either but the basic controls are to press 'q' to bring up the menu, click something, run up to it ad use the physics gun to move something, right click to keep liek a body part stuck in that position and you go from there. Google it, you'll find good stuff.