PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Cooling System for 3.5" Drive

flibitijibibo
July 15th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Does it exist? If so, can someone link me to a decent one? I've tried looking around Newegg but it keeps throwing 5.25" systems at me.

legionaire45
July 15th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I'm pretty sure that if they do exist you would want to shoot yourself as apposed to using it.

Swiftech made a 5 1/2" integrated pump/reservoir a little while ago, not sure if they still make it anymore. That plus a 80 or 120mm radiator and a 1U block would be a pretty compact cooling loop.

beele
July 16th, 2007, 09:08 AM
I once read an article about cooling a computers hard drive with oil (some type of special oil). The disk was put in the oil, which causes no problems because oil does not let electricity through it. I'll look the article up when I have some more time (and if I still have the magazine where it was in.). But in their tests there was one drive that let the oil in the hard drive, but all their others drives worked .:)

Xetsuei
July 16th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Submersion cooling.

Phopojijo
July 16th, 2007, 03:02 PM
You know vibration is much more of an enemy to harddrives than heat, right? Woot, 2^8 posts!

legionaire45
July 16th, 2007, 09:18 PM
You know vibration is much more of an enemy to harddrives than heat, right? Woot, 2^8 posts!
Ross has already long passed 2^12 posts.

And yes, submersion cooling is so ineffective for the effort/cost involved it shouldn't even be an option. Plus the oil damages Electrolytic capacitors.

(watercooling ftw).

Phopojijo
July 20th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Sorry for the long time replying, but yea;

I just find it ironic how many people care about how much air reaches their drives... and yet they only bolt it down with a single screw.

Zeph
July 20th, 2007, 10:46 AM
I'd laugh at anyone liquid cooling their hard drives.

TPE
July 20th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Why do people think liquid cooling is so much better than fans? Its over priced and has the potential to ruin your whole system with a small leak.

InnerGoat
July 20th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Why do people think liquid cooling is so much better than fans? Its over priced and has the potential to ruin your whole system with a small leak.
Because good watercooling can disapate enormous ammounts of heat, and leaks are not a problem if you know what you're doing.

Oh and fans are used in liquid cooling too. :eng101:

legionaire45
July 21st, 2007, 03:09 AM
1) Water transfers heat better then air, and as long as you can get a large amount of heat out of the water fast enough (easiest way is to get a bigger radiator, but for a single CPU loop you should be good with a single 120 mm rad) you can get damn cold temps compared to most air cooling. My CPU idles at 20-25 degrees celcius (son of a bitch mobo still won't boot past FSB of 315 >_>) compared to around 30-35 on my lapped stock intel shitsink. Remember that I live close to America's biggest desert with a finicky air conditioner that turns off when it gets really hot.
2) Quieter then air cooling. Right now the loudest component in my system is my DVD Drive. Hell, if I wanted after I replace my old DVD drive I could probably throw some quieter fans/a speed control on there and really quiet my system down. Mb throw a waterblock on my GPU =D.
3) Waaaay more reliable then you think. I've never had a "fatal" coolant leak, and even if I do it won't be fatal since I'm using non-conductive distilled water and antifreeze. I have all my connections hose-clamped securely, so I'm quite confident I won't have any leaks. As a back up, I always check everything/tweak shit in my comp a couple times a week, so I'm pretty sure I'd find a leak before it became a problem.
4) Kick Ass. My computer is easily the baddest-ass SoB at my school's lanparties, considering the only other guy with water cooling has some shitty thermaltake pre-built system with all the spare tubing zip-tied to the side of his $300 Zalman Fagtality case. Meanwhile he's chugging away with an X2 and a X1900 AGP version of some type. gg.

(I also have the most ram out of anyone at my school and appear to be the only person with any legal version of Windows =D).

The only real flaw to water cooling is it's price, especially waterblocks, which can easily hit $50-130 depending on the type and quality. However, you certainly get what you pay for.