PDA

View Full Version : H2V, dedicated server, anyone?

Katana
September 8th, 2006, 09:30 AM
I've been talking about getting a dedi set for H2 Vista, with a couple of people. It would be great to have somewhere in-game where a community can grow. There are going to be tons of new faces when Vista comes around, and I think the sooner your server is up, the more people will notice it.

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with myself once H2 Vista comes along. Whether it be a lone server, some sort of clan, or just soiling myself, I most definately will be helping to pay and admistrate an H2V DS.

TheGhost
September 8th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Yes, a dedicated server would be great. We need to make sure that at least some good servers are running the custom maps created by the mod community. I wonder if Diesel or any of the other HaloCE servers will switch over to H2Vista.

Zeph
September 8th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Ghost, put up a paypal donate button. There can be a pool for dedicated server fees getting started up.

Assuming I have a job starting next week, I'll most likely get an official 16-man Zeph's Tavern up. I wouldn't mind giving it the H2V tag in the name for advertisement and such.

Zenaku213
September 8th, 2006, 04:48 PM
That would be pretty damn cool having our own Dedicated Server, I'll throw in a couple hundred bucks.

TheGhost
September 9th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I added a PayPal donation button to the main page of the site... anyone want to try it out? Heh.

PlasbianX
September 9th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Ill probably be hosting one too. Its got a 200Mbit connection, so it should be nice and fast.

Boo Diddly
September 9th, 2006, 06:14 PM
well, dependign on how much you get from paypal, you could possibly host multiple servers, that way there is a nice variety on a few good servers.

TheGhost
September 10th, 2006, 01:36 AM
lmao...

baturkin sent along a donation...

Total Amount: $0.05 USD
Fee Amount: -$0.05 USD
Net Amount: $0.00 USD

Haha...

Scott-PL
September 10th, 2006, 05:43 PM
i just bought two servers (now in my room) capable of running at least 15 dediservers on halo

that means i just need to go buy more halo discs XD

TheGhost
September 10th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Monk it sounds like you have a lot of extra cash lying around... ;p

Scott-PL
September 10th, 2006, 06:13 PM
1. sorry for teh GBX thing XD im ip banned

no i really dont. my dad works at the firestation and whenever they update their stuff (every few months) we get the old stuff

ME ALONE:
i have:
6 PCs
2 Laptops
2 Servers
2 Treos
4 blackberrys
4 flatscreens

most of it is in my closet XD

Boo Diddly
September 10th, 2006, 09:49 PM
sweet monk. I'd like to have your father. i think you can run the dedi servers without the disk, but i might be wrong... i just checked and you can ^^. so you only need 1 disk to install ce and youre good to go.

TheGhost
September 10th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Could someone throw like $2 into the donation thing? It won't let me donate to myself, lol. I need to make sure this thing works.

InnerGoat
September 10th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Make me a paypal account and put 10bux in it. I'll test it for you then. :)

TheGhost
September 10th, 2006, 10:32 PM
cheap ass, Dr

Teroh
September 11th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Anybody... wanna let me be admin on of of their dedicated servers? Lmao. I'm not TOO bad of an admin. :P

Rosco
September 12th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I'll help, I'm one of the admins on the current FBI server on Halo CE. ( I say admin because I've got FTP Access and such )
I think we need that good ol rec0 to work with Vista and get us a little app that makes banning/kicking easier. Also perhaps that awesome stunts option. ;p

Rescudo
September 13th, 2006, 07:40 AM
I'll donate a little money when I have a way of doing it... lol.
Any of you have any idea how much a H2V dedicated server will cost?

Boo Diddly
September 13th, 2006, 05:17 PM
well, you would have to rent the server, or host the dedi your self. I don't know how much it is for a gaming server tho, maby $25 or something?

Scott-PL
September 13th, 2006, 05:23 PM
a h2vista server will prob be the same as a CE server

40 a month

Rescudo
September 14th, 2006, 07:36 AM
$40 for a CE server...? I guess it's reasonable for a H2V server since the game has just come out, but for a CE server, it's kind of expensive. lol

PlasbianX
September 14th, 2006, 02:39 PM
1. sorry for teh GBX thing XD im ip banned

no i really dont. my dad works at the firestation and whenever they update their stuff (every few months) we get the old stuff

ME ALONE:
i have:
6 PCs
2 Laptops
2 Servers
2 Treos
4 blackberrys
4 flatscreens

most of it is in my closet XD

Pfft thats nothing. I have 16 PCs in my basement used for lan parties, and they can all run BF2. I have a laptop, everyone in my family has their own PC, me and my dad both have dual monitors, my dad has a machine used soloy for parts testing, and i have a machine i use to setup dedicated servers on for lan parties. Try seeing whos richer now. ;)

TheGhost
September 14th, 2006, 02:54 PM
If you're so rich you should click that donate button on the site's home page =)

Cortexian
September 24th, 2006, 11:06 PM
I will be running one off my Home PC... I can run a dedicated (8 ppl) and the client with average ping/lag...

Boo Diddly
September 24th, 2006, 11:48 PM
here at school i can run a dedi *with me playing on it at the same time* that can have a max of 12 players, It would be 16 but the switch at the dorms cant handle it ,>.<,

Ping? any where from 100 to 250 for outside people *meh is about 33, sometimes up to 60 some, other times all the way down to 15*

Arteen
September 25th, 2006, 08:06 AM
I would appreciate it if one of you guys (Monk or Plas) would send me a nice desktop for my dorm room. =)

Cortexian
September 25th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Whats the point of having so many PC's... I can see three being used for purposefull things, but 16??? WHY!

MereCatfish
September 25th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I just thought this would be a good time to point out that myself and rapture have been in talks a few weeks ago with regards to bringing HBO-COERCE back for H2V, and it looks like it will happen.

If you never played on that server back on HPC (and CE for a brief period), you deserve to be shot.

Rescudo
September 26th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Okay, shoot me next time I'm spectating a r0x game... >_>

Rosco
September 26th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Bunghole Reserruction server.

!

I miss it, like a child misses the cake that just fell out of his hand into the bin.

InnerGoat
September 26th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Bunghole Reserruction server.

!

I miss it, like a child misses the cake that just fell out of his hand into the bin.

COERCE was better.:p

TheGhost
September 26th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Coerce had some crazy (read: retarded :p) gametypes.

mined
September 27th, 2006, 12:31 PM
How 'bout organizing a server fund payable through TheGhost's paypal account. We could all post a monthly pledge of a few dollars that we promise to pay though the said paypal account. It could be organized as follows:

1. A thread is posted for those interested in supporting a server fund.

2. Those interested post their name plus a reasonable monthly pledge amount (an amount that can realistically be achieved on a regular basis) in the above thread.

3. Those who have posted submit their first pledge amount to the paypal account.

4. A month is given for the fund to build and to see what the total fund amounts to. At that point the decision is made as to what/how many server(s) can be afforded.

5. Someone is elected\volunteers to act as the fund organizer. This person commits to communicating with all fund members to help maintain pledge commitment.

Rescudo
September 27th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Excellent idea, although some people (like me) have no way of paying. No credit card, no PayPal account.

mined
September 27th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Paypal accounts are easy to set up. I even want to say they are free, but I think that a nominal fee is paid for by the receiver of the cash i.e. TheGhost. I could be wrong about that, though. No matter what, I know that the fee is very nominal.

As far as getting cash to the paypal account...I don't know what to say other than start a checking account with a debit card. I had my first bank account well before the age of ten. I understand, though, that some of the younger forum members may have parents that won't allow them to do this. In that case, I would recommend that those people sit back and take advantage of those of us who are willing and able to help fund a server. I'm sure most of the older/capable people would understand the situation. Then when your time comes that you could contribute...do so. All will be well.

:D

Rescudo
September 27th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Well, my parents don't like me using money on the internet :D

mined
September 27th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Understood. TBH, I won't lets my kids that either.

TheGhost
September 27th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I think people just need some incentive, like server admin (rcon password) or something if you donate.

Rescudo
September 27th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Okay, I'll see what I can do. :p

mined
September 27th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Yeah, I think people just need some incentive, like server admin (rcon password) or something if you donate.

I was thinking the same thing...it would create a sense of ownership to. We would just need to come to a consensus as to what goes and doesn't go on the server before anyone donates. That way no one thinks that just because they drop a few nickles in the bucket, that they can reek havoc on the server.