PDA

View Full Version : [HALO 3] Forge Map Editor

ExAm
July 18th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Details!

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT post/ask for links to scans or your face will be melted via your computer screen

Confusion laid to rest
Ok I understand there is some confusion to the subject as to exactly where I'm getting this information. Basically to sum it all up, there are several people on the interwebz who have access to the upcoming September issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM) magazine. Reading the scans will get you the information I have nicely posted in this very forum.

And DO NOT ASK FOR SKANS or I'll call in the Ninjas and they will melt your face with their shiney Ninja Stars.

UPDATE: After Reading the Forge details

After reading the details, let's start coming up with awesome or even strange scenarios that could be played out in the Forge gameplay mode. Beit implimentations in the Machina community or just videos and setups where people play out RTS style games. Remember, you can modify human spawns, weapon spawns, vehicle spawns, objective locations, ammo counts in weapons, ect. Just rack up all the wierd crap that's been sitting in your mind, or when you were sitting there hitting a box in Halo 2 when you wished you could just pick it up and barricade the door... Halo Nation, unite. BRAINSTORM!

QUESTIONS FOR BUNGIE

> Can we save our setup once we finish dropping in all the stuff we want?

> Is saved films enabled during the whole Forge mode?

Got a question? You post it and I'll make sure it gets put up on my main post. That way it doesn't get lost in all the mess of text.

FORGE Details

>Map editor (you're not making your own maps though)
> Does not support geometry creation, or texture modification
> Allows you to remove and place any items or vehicles or spawn points or objectives, etc... anywhere on the existing maps
> For things like weapons you can tweak their respawn timer and ammo count and other minor things
> You can have multiple people work in the Forge editor over Xbox Live!
> You can also dynamically switch from creation mode to playing mode and run around in the game.
> If you are "playing" in Forge and have other players in it, they can still change things! For instance, if you have a friend making a pyramid of fusion cores, you can return to "play" mode and lob a grenade in to destroy all his work!
> Make your own kind of games in forge. Bungie gives the example of grab the mongoose. One player rides a mongoose while everyone else tries to grab it out from under him by removing it in Forge! Another is like a magic carpet ride where one player will stand on a object and a forge monitor will drag it along making the player ride it through the air.
> Finally Bungie talked about how you can kind of make it into a real-time strategy game (RTS) where you set up "teams" where each team has a monitor creating items for his team to use.

My writings:

And to set it up like an RTS is just scratching the surface. If your team was fighting the other enemy you could spawn a -blam!--ton of boxes and crates to block all incoming gunfire. Or even better spawn a couple of tanks by their location, giving your team the upper hand. OMG'z I'm starting to get all getty like a little school girl just thinking of all the scenarios that will be played out once I get my hands on the game.

For any of you who are familiar with Little Big Planet for the PLAYSTATION 3, I'd look out. Because adding very similar elements to a competitive FPS area is just outrageously genius.

Halo 3's Forge should stop alot of the crappy modding. Why, because instead of using Action Replay to spawn several tanks, they can just enter Forge mode and just drop some in.

Awesome Ideas for Forge

Pick a map that is mid to large sized and fairly flat and place a large cache of the power weapons (laser, sniper, ect...) and equipment (bubble, drainer) in the center. For starting locations start each team (or player in FFA) on one of the far edges of the map and start them with only a single short range weapon (perhaps the SMG). But using Forge spawn a Mongoose directly in front of each player's spawn point. Then as soon as the round starts every player will have to get on their Mongoose and race as fast as they can to pick up one of the power weapons from the cache in the middle. I have to imagine that the collision of 8-10 Mongeese all racing to get to the same spot on the map as fast as they can would be pretty fun to watch. And since everyone starts out with just an SMG they are pretty much required to get to the center as fast as they can if they want a chance to win.

Sure it would be unbalenced a mode as all get out...but it sure would be fun. Just set the round timer to a really short limit so that you get to do the initial crash and race for the power weapons as often as possible.

~TheFightingFish

"too...tired..too.......reply to long well thought out....awesome idea.
I'm tired....been up too long!
* falls asleep*

Posted by: Seravie
-Airstrikes involving fusion cores...... lots and lots of them.
RvB episode???
-So hows the weather?
-Its raining fusion cores and warthogs...
-I'm serious... whats it like....
-Look up man look up *runs away*
-aww crap

That's exactly (sorta) what I was thinking when I thought about messing with my friends in my lobby.
Just having them dodge tanks and other random crap as stuff was just falling from the sky.

Posted by: Uconn4552
Some things I thought of:

-paintball courses
-giant forts made of boxes for the "Infection" gametype everyone wants
-race tracks
-6+ player tank battles
-Sort of a "hostage" mode where on Elite/Spartan is trapped by boxes/fusion cores/whatever and the other team has to rescue

From the words of Borat- "very nice". I forgot to mention that Infection was mentioned/confirmed in the leaked scans.

Linkage (http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=11836477)

Looks like it's made of awesome. A completely nonambiguous sandwich, made of Win, and nothing else :awesome:

Archon23
July 18th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I am going to love making Fusion Core Structures.

Though I can imagine 12 year olds placing all the spawn points near each other and camping there with a tank...........

TeeKup
July 18th, 2007, 05:09 PM
So this is a map editor for Halo 3?

My god I hope its not like the Pariah map editor, I hated that game with a passion.

Neuro Guro
July 18th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I never got to see the pictures so I can't say much about it.

thehoodedsmack
July 18th, 2007, 05:18 PM
There were no pictures. And to me, it still seems like another Sparkedit.

Stormwing
July 18th, 2007, 05:18 PM
As far as i can tell, it's not going to happen that way, Archon.

If i'm interpreting this correctly you can switch between playing and creating, and it's not personally editing a map and saving it. Don't like where the guy put the tank? turn to player mode and drive the thing away or something. Or move it back. Or spawn more next to you.

dunno if that's right at all, since lots of questions do come up, but I seriously doubt Bungie would miss stuff that's so obviously unfair. you know they probably won't play fair in their own testing anyway ;)

Archon23
July 18th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Either way I am so gonna get a few of my friends and play "Dodge the Falling Fusion Cores"

ExAm
July 18th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Either way I am so gonna get a few of my friends and play "Dodge the Falling Fusion Cores"

That's what I was thinking :D

Zeph
July 18th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Yes, it's basically like a spark edit. I'm not sure how it'll prove useful for custom games, but for machinema it'll be a great tool.

Archon23
July 18th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Your forgetting the custom games that you could make with that aren't your normal custom games...........

ExAm
July 18th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Saving your configuration as a more broadly edited gametype is very likely a possibility.

thehoodedsmack
July 18th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Your forgetting the custom games that you could make with that aren't your normal custom games...........

Like what? So far the only example I've heard from y'all is an overloaded pile of fusion cores. But what happens when someone shoots one? Boom! Have fun building it up again.

Ki11a_FTW
July 18th, 2007, 06:04 PM
wait a minute.... halo 3 is coming to pc aswell?

MithosK
July 18th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Why hello there GMod.

thehoodedsmack
July 18th, 2007, 06:55 PM
wait a minute.... halo 3 is coming to pc aswell?

As of now: No. What gave you that idea?

Ki11a_FTW
July 18th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Forge

ExAm
July 18th, 2007, 07:03 PM
It's a console-based editor, not a full-on editor like the HEK, or even the H2EK. Like Spark Edit.

Ki11a_FTW
July 18th, 2007, 07:06 PM
ohhh.. now i see, thanks

Con
July 18th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Remember, you can modify human spawns, weapon spawns, vehicle spawns, objective locations, ammo counts in weapons, ect

Though I can imagine 12 year olds placing all the spawn points near each other and camping there with a tank...........
Oh boy, doesn't this sound like fun! :downs:

Hotrod
July 18th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I can imagine a 10 year old noob that makes it so there's only one weapon on the map, and that would be a Spartan laser with 99999 shots, and only he knows where it is. He would also make it so that everybody starts with Plasma Pistols...

Ki11a_FTW
July 18th, 2007, 08:43 PM
even worse, unarmed 0_0

Archon23
July 18th, 2007, 08:53 PM
The thing about that is theres always this option: Leave the freaking game.

itszutak
July 18th, 2007, 09:14 PM
> If you are "playing" in Forge and have other players in it, they can still change things! For instance, if you have a friend making a pyramid of fusion cores, you can return to "play" mode and lob a grenade in to destroy all his work!

This sounds like something somebody would do to me D:

Stormwing
July 18th, 2007, 11:23 PM
The thing about that is theres always this option: Leave the freaking game.
precisely. don't like it? leave! stop whining for fucks sake.

bungie oughta make some note in the game lobby letting you know if the map's been forge'd or not...and even better, letting you see some details of the changes.

Archon23
July 18th, 2007, 11:33 PM
I just realized. Seeing as there's a 3-D sky and not the traditional skybox you could drop the fusion cores past the visible cloud layer so your "victims" can't just look up and see a fusion core (or in my version Tank) spawn. They'd have to wait until it breaks through the cloud layer............

Reaper Man
July 18th, 2007, 11:44 PM
olol, Sounds like gmod.

Dr Dmoney
July 19th, 2007, 01:24 PM
If we can modify weapon clip, why couldn't we modify everything of the weapon. Damage, Reload Time, Recole time, Rapid Burst, Expolsions of bullets, How fast the projectiles are, ect...

Hotrod
July 19th, 2007, 01:35 PM
If we can modify weapon clip, why couldn't we modify everything of the weapon. Damage, Reload Time, Recole time, Rapid Burst, Expolsions of bullets, How fast the projectiles are, ect...

If you could do that, you could unbalance the whole game.

ExAm
July 19th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Because then things would get too complicated.

Kornman00
July 19th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Its not even like spark edit. Its just allows you to change the properties of the scenario, thus why you can't change everything about a weapon, only its starting clip size. Its all done in game of course.
Someone really needs to clarify in the first post, what is what. Its only creating confusion and making people update their blogs with "omg, halothree is cuming to pc lulzzz!!11111 ima going to go fap now k? k"

Dr Dmoney
July 19th, 2007, 11:20 PM
No I was only saying that it would be cool and add another layer of fun, would be unbalanced but for good halo fans, it would be great to recreate the orginial weapon set form Halo 1. Or even from Marathon. You see I talking about have fun in different ways.

Elite Killa
July 23rd, 2007, 09:01 PM
I have a bitter-sweet kind of thing about this. I'm a bit bummed about it because I know that some 12 year old (or younger) out there will make a mod on Snowbound with banshees, wraiths and brute choppers scattered everywhere on the map (including the tunnel network) and they would make an excuse saying "BUT I NEVER WON A GAME BEFORE! THIS WILL HELP ME WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111eleven11111". But I'm also have a good feeling about this since machinima can cope with this editor, like what Zeph said. And since it isn't an actual map-maker like on Halo: Custom edition, there won't be any stupid maps like a small boxmap with nothing in it, or a huge boxmap with n00b written all over it. But that leaves out any of the good maps that experienced map-makers make.

FRain
July 23rd, 2007, 09:43 PM
I have a bitter-sweet kind of thing about this. I'm a bit bummed about it because I know that some 12 year old (or younger) out there will make a mod on Snowbound with banshees, wraiths and brute choppers scattered everywhere on the map (including the tunnel network) and they would make an excuse saying "BUT I NEVER WON A GAME BEFORE! THIS WILL HELP ME WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111eleven11111". But I'm also have a good feeling about this since machinima can cope with this editor, like what Zeph said. And since it isn't an actual map-maker like on Halo: Custom edition, there won't be any stupid maps like a small boxmap with nothing in it, or a huge boxmap with n00b written all over it. But that leaves out any of the good maps that experienced map-makers make.

I usually would say "you just suck"

DaneO'Roo
July 23rd, 2007, 09:48 PM
"> If you are "playing" in Forge and have other players in it, they can still change things! For instance, if you have a friend making a pyramid of fusion cores, you can return to "play" mode and lob a grenade in to destroy all his work!
> Make your own kind of games in forge. Bungie gives the example of grab the mongoose. One player rides a mongoose while everyone else tries to grab it out from under him by removing it in Forge! Another is like a magic carpet ride where one player will stand on a object and a forge monitor will drag it along making the player ride it through the air.
> Finally Bungie talked about how you can kind of make it into a real-time strategy game (RTS) where you set up "teams" where each team has a monitor creating items for his team to use."

wow