PDA

View Full Version : Would this work?

}_50Æ{_|ñeا†«O
July 22nd, 2007, 01:47 PM
Make my map geomtery in Wings then export to an .OBJ. Import into GMAX and do everything from there?

Ki11a_FTW
July 22nd, 2007, 01:49 PM
yes

}_50Æ{_|ñeا†«O
July 22nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
Okay, is there a limit on the height of objects. Becasue I want to make some really damn big buildings. Like 1 Km tall?

Ki11a_FTW
July 22nd, 2007, 02:05 PM
it can be as big as you want

LlamaMaster
July 22nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
Okay, is there a limit on the height of objects. Becasue I want to make some really damn big buildings. Like 1 Km tall?
I don't see why it wouldn't work, it's just after a certain distance the geometry starts the disappear. Why just you just make a quick test and get it ingame?

}_50Æ{_|ñeا†«O
July 22nd, 2007, 02:15 PM
That's a good idea. Where can I find some tutorials for GMAX/HalocE?

LlamaMaster
July 22nd, 2007, 02:17 PM
That's a good idea. Where can I find some tutorials for GMAX/HalocE?
:google:

}_50Æ{_|ñeا†«O
July 22nd, 2007, 02:36 PM
Thank you, sir.

Terin
July 22nd, 2007, 02:40 PM
Halo Maps has some good ones, too.

Roostervier
July 22nd, 2007, 02:48 PM
it can be as big as you want
Wrong. After it gets to hugeass size, it won't compile. Will say something along the lines of "#1 vertex has a bad point." Anyway, 1km should be fine though >_>.

}_50Æ{_|ñeا†«O
July 22nd, 2007, 03:25 PM
OK, so got my .3DS file, what do I do now?

}_50Æ{_|ñeا†«O
July 22nd, 2007, 03:38 PM
Help me pleeeezze

~ZMT~Trace
July 22nd, 2007, 10:16 PM
Double posting won't give you a response any faster then just waiting.

Post a picture of your model so we know what you did right or wrong.

DaaxGhost
July 22nd, 2007, 11:13 PM
Trace is right. If you have any pictures of your model. We'd like to see so we can help out and it might be better so we can figure out the problem by looking at it.

so just post some pics. :protarget:

Tweek
July 24th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Vertigo City anyone? :awesome:

Rosco
July 24th, 2007, 02:28 PM
http://www.h2vista.net/forums/images/customavatars/avatar33_1.gif (http://www.h2vista.net/forums/member.php?u=33)

Your avatar is more detailed than SVC's life.

But that's not saying much :(

Rob Oplawar
July 24th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I don't know if you've checked here, but there are some good, detailed tutorials and, well, resources, if you click on the resources link at the top left of the page. (it goes here: http://www.h2ek.com/resources/ ) I learned most of what I know from there.

}_50Æ{_|ñeا†«O
July 24th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks..

Problem is Im not trying anything to fancy with my map and I already impoyted the geometry from wings (whats odd is that it actually worked) and Ijust want to know how to open it in Sapien.

Rob Oplawar
July 24th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I think the best resource within the Tutorial Resource category in there is the Official HEK Tutorial, which will tell you everything you need to know to get a simple map from your noggin all the way to Halo CE. If you're not using 3DS Max, you may need to use something like Bluestreak (also in the resource tab, I believe) to export the model to a jms.

}_50Æ{_|ñeا†«O
July 24th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I created my map in Wings 3D and exported it into Halo.

BTW, I've been thinking about this for awhile and I like Halos approahc to amap editing better. You can create everything from the comfort of your favorite modeling app.

Plus, the engine is old so you can make 5 Km long maps that don't lag.

DaaxGhost
July 24th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Plus, the engine is old so you can make 5 Km long maps that don't lag.
Um. no not really you can't do that. It can only be below 245,000 width length and hiegth; or else you'll get an export error. I may be wrong cuase it's been a while since I did that last.

}_50Æ{_|ñeا†«O
July 24th, 2007, 08:24 PM
So, then how did Hugeass work?

Offspring
July 24th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Wrong. After it gets to hugeass size, it won't compile. Will say something along the lines of "#1 vertex has a bad point." Anyway, 1km should be fine though >_>.

I remember when i made a map to big i got the same error, so map sizes do have limits. Hell if you successfully made a map in wings and got it into halo you would probably be the first. I'm assuming this is your first map, if so, i recommend you start off more simple (i.e. no structures).

ExAm
July 25th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Make my map geomtery in Wings then export to an .OBJ. Import into GMAX and do everything from there?I tried making a map in Wings once. I failed. You will too :P

I suggest using Gmax or something. More options for terrain, and better ability for detail.

}_50Æ{_|ñeا†«O
July 25th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I watched the video on height maos and I think I understand it. Although.. I think i'll ocus on getting models in game before making an entire map. ;P

TeeKup
July 25th, 2007, 07:48 PM
So, then how did Hugeass work?

Tiamat in all his awesomeness had awesome portals. Thats why.

}_50Æ{_|ñeا†«O
July 25th, 2007, 07:57 PM
What's a portal?

Rob Oplawar
July 25th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Man, I was about to link you to the wiki, but turns out portals aren't even defined in there. That wiki could potentially be really useful, and I think it's being really neglected. I'll start another thread about that instead of hijacking this one... in the meantime, in semi-answer to your question,
Google
is your friend.
wow, spelling out Google like that was a waste of time. But I'm bored!

TheFreak
July 25th, 2007, 11:01 PM
i think a portal makes it so the engine doesnt render beyond a certain distance from you. i dont see how using them would help an export error as portals come after the geometry export. oh and rob i'ma have to get out mah banhammer on you for advertising :cop:

p0lar_bear
July 26th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Close, but not quite.

Area portals are a VITAL part of mapmaking; correctly placed area portals on a correctly designed map can allow for overall high-poly and high-detail environments with little framerate drops.

Normal area portals slice the BSP into sections; if one of these sections aren't visible at all through environmental geometry (meaning scenery/devices/bipeds/vehicles not included), it is not rendered. If you do not define area portals or define them incorrectly, what isn't visible will still be rendered, and thus hog up processor time.

EXACT area portals (a.k.a. exactportals) are portals you put into spots like windowframes, doorways, cave openings, etc. If a polygon is not even partailly visible through an exactportal, it is not rendered.

Exactportals must seal off any openings; a good, basic example is this: let's say you model a map with a house, complete with windows and doors. You must put an exactportal in EVERY WINDOWFRAME OR DOORWAY THAT LEADS OUTSIDE, NO EXCEPTIONS. If you miss a spot, it will not work.

One more little tidbit: you usually shouldn't put normal portals inside of an area sealed off by exactportals; if you look into the area through the exactportal, happen to keep looking through a normal portal inside, and then hit another exactportal on the other side of the area, no environmental geometry will be rendered past that second exactportal. Here's a crappy ASCII diagram to better explain what I'm talking about.

O -> [] | [] NOTHING OVER HERE
^Player ^Exactportal ^Portal ^Exactportal WILL BE RENDERED

The HEK Tutorial goes over creating basic portals, but I feel portalling is hard to explain; as you make maps and experiement, you'll pick up on it.