PDA

View Full Version : Whack Mouse

stunt_man
July 22nd, 2007, 02:12 PM
I don't know how else to put this, but my mouse is whack. I'll be walking along in Halo 2 or Oblivion, and all of a sudden my view jerks all the way up or down, or left or right. It's ridiculous. Is this a defective mouse? Or is it software-related, maybe spyware? I doubt that's the case, though, I don't have any other problems. It's a standard Microsoft mouse.

Atty
July 22nd, 2007, 02:13 PM
My MX518 does that too. Don't know the cause though.

LlamaMaster
July 22nd, 2007, 02:15 PM
I don't know how else to put this, but my mouse is whack. I'll be walking along in Halo 2 or Oblivion, and all of a sudden my view jerks all the way up or down, or left or right. It's ridiculous. Is this a defective mouse? Or is it software-related, maybe spyware? I doubt that's the case, though, I don't have any other problems. It's a standard Microsoft mouse.
I get that sometimes too, but it's only in games. It never happens outside of games, and rarely does ingame. How often does yours do it?

InnerGoat
July 22nd, 2007, 02:34 PM
If your mouse is plugged in via USB, put the adapter on. If its on, take it off. I'm not sure why this fixes it for some, but it is worth a try. Also, the adapter messes up my MX500, but the MX518 needs it.

stunt_man
July 22nd, 2007, 02:46 PM
What is this adapter you speak of? How would I go about turning it off?

Atty
July 22nd, 2007, 02:49 PM
He means the serial port to USB adapter. The green plug on your I/O panel on the motherboard? Where the mouse usually plugs into?

stunt_man
July 22nd, 2007, 02:50 PM
Is there a switch or something?

Archon23
July 22nd, 2007, 03:19 PM
Um just unplug it and replug it back in. Thats how I do it anyway.

And its it ball or laser mouse?

stunt_man
July 22nd, 2007, 03:22 PM
Laser-mouse... I had it plugged into the back of the computer, but I plugged it into my cases' USB port in the front. I just played a quick game of Halo and I didn't have the problem. I'll let you know if it went away completely.

ExAm
July 22nd, 2007, 07:56 PM
Odd. Usually when my optical mouse does that there's a hair or something across the receptor lens.

Amit
July 22nd, 2007, 08:59 PM
Try getting the latest drivers for your mouse, or get a new one. I also have a standard microsoft mouse, it jerks over the screen sometimes and i have to lift it up and put it back down on the mouse pad. I replaced that since last september with my current Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 5000. No problems with it, cept it has no detents in the mouse wheel. The battery life is amazing, 7 months of battery power on a pair of fresh AA batteries. Good thing i have 4 rechargeable AA panasonic batteries with the charger. LOL recently i was playing CSS and it just froze on me. I was like o shit, i just took out the spent batteries and put them to charge while i pulled out the 2 freshly charged ones. It's like using an xbox controller charger kit.

Hotrod
July 22nd, 2007, 09:02 PM
I have a wireless logitech ball mouse and it has never failed me yet and I've had it since christmas. The only bad thing that happened with it was that the batteries died on me in a middle of a Halo match.

ExAm
July 22nd, 2007, 09:49 PM
Ball mouse? Why would you need a wireless ball mouse? They sit there and you twirl the ball with your thumb. It doesn't need to be wireless :P

Hotrod
July 22nd, 2007, 10:09 PM
It's less of a trouble with wires. In plus, I got it new for 10$.

Amit
July 23rd, 2007, 11:19 AM
LOL that's good, if you bought it for full retail it would still be kinda odd. I just have a wireless mouse so the wires don't get caught up with the speaker wires.

Atty
July 23rd, 2007, 11:24 AM
Wiresless mice are retarded tbh. A real man has wires. :-3

ExAm
July 23rd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Better response time, tbh. I suck at all games when I use my 40$ wireless, but I'm good with the wired Dell mouse :saddowns:

LlamaMaster
July 23rd, 2007, 11:33 AM
Wiresless mice are retarded tbh. A real man has wires. :-3
I.....agree with atty. :eek:

Amit
July 23rd, 2007, 11:34 AM
Retarded in the way that they consume extra energy through precious AA batteries, otherwise I find my wireless mouse far superior to anything I have used before. I still like my Microsoft Optical Mouse Blue since it has a smooth rolling wheel but it has detents, YAY! It can get you hand sweaty sometimes in the summer when there's a lot of humidity.

ExAm
July 23rd, 2007, 11:38 AM
The humidity where I live is so insignificant that the news doesn't even report it, and no one owns a weatherometer :downs:

Tweek
July 23rd, 2007, 11:42 AM
Odd. Usually when my optical mouse does that there's a hair or something across the receptor lens.
exactly

stunt_man
July 23rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
Alright guys I tried replugging, hair removing, and yelling profusively, yet it's still jerking around. There must be some way to fix it, I didn't buy a $10 mouse so that I would have to buy a $20 mouse the next week. It always happens at the wrong time, too. I swear, this is causing me to lose games.

Archon23
July 23rd, 2007, 01:37 PM
Try cleaning your mouse pad, or switching your current one for a new one.

I used to have a really fucked up mouse pad and it caused my optical mouse to mess up completely. Got a new one and no more jerking around.

stunt_man
July 23rd, 2007, 02:22 PM
Haven't tried that yet. I'll keep you posted.

EDIT: Just cleaned the mousepad, and the problem persists. This sucks major balls, I'm not tempted to spend more money on such a stupid problem. Gah... Well thanks anyway I guess.

PS: Wait, let's go back to the USB adapter business... How does this work? How can I disable it?

Con
July 23rd, 2007, 03:50 PM
Oddly enough, I was at a LAN party last night and I brought my usual mouse except I forgot my mouse pad at home, so I used my buddy's old one. My mouse has never given me any trouble, but when I used his Garfield one it would give me the problems you described, on any game. I switched the Garfield one for a nice black cushy one and it was all good. Maybe all you need to do is change mousepads?

InnerGoat
July 23rd, 2007, 03:51 PM
The green thing is the adapter. Every mouse i've seen in the last few years comes with it..

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/2395/bluemousebuiltinfan2ub0.jpg

edit-

Oddly enough, I was at a LAN party last night and I brought my usual mouse except I forgot my mouse pad at home, so I used my buddy's old one. My mouse has never given me any trouble, but when I used his Garfield one it would give me the problems you described, on any game. I switched the Garfield one for a nice black cushy one and it was all good. Maybe all you need to do is change mousepads?If his mouse is having problems tracking on certain surfaces, then this adapter won't help. He'll have to upgrade the firmware (if he even can) or buy a new mouse / surface.

Amit
July 23rd, 2007, 07:58 PM
Just get a new mouse, the standard optical mice aren't too good at tracking things.

stunt_man
July 24th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Uhhh my mouse didn't come with an adapter. I'll see if I can get one from a friend or something. Apart from that, I guess a mousepad could be picked up one day after work. What are the best kinds? Mine is a Rainbow Six: Las Vegas plastic mousepad with a different on the surface than the underbelly (harder plastic on top, can't even put a dent in it - still a bit bendable though).