PDA

View Full Version : Hoplite Bumper Sticker: Skin Me!

mined
December 3rd, 2006, 12:51 PM
Well folks...for such a simple little craft, it should have arrived a long time ago.

SOOOOO, without further adieu, I present to you the official Hoplite "SKIN ME" contest. The file is available at the link below.

Post ONLY contest submissions in this thread.

Please ONLY post a download link to your submission in this thread. If you have any comments or concerns please address them here:

http://www.h2vista.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40

DEADLINE: Jan 1st.

http://files.filefront.com/Hoplite_Skinning_Contestrar/;6291772;;/fileinfo.html

What is included:

- .max file (version 7) that showcases the Hoplite in both the stand fixed idle position as well as the full velocity flight position.

- .tif files with reference layers highlighting the UV-mapping

- bitmap and shader files

- a Hoplite .scenery tag

If you are fortunate enough to have 3DSMax at your disposal, you are free to re-UV map anything you like. If you do not have Max you can play with the .tif files in PS (or similar program) using the standing UV mapping and check your work with the .scenery tag in either Sapien or ingame. If you like my placeholders and you would simply like to finish them off, you have my permission to do that as well (I am not acting as a judge so this will not receive a bias vote. :D)

The standing Judges panel includes:

Reaper Man
dg945
Hunter (contestant or judge, let me know in a PM?)
[H2V]Trace
Patrickssj6
Snafubar
Tweek

Judges: I will be contacting you via PM next weekend concerning the judging process.

The contest winner will have the dubious honor of having his/her skins applied to the final release of the Hoplite.

Good luck and good skinning!

(http://www.h2vista.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40)

thehoodedsmack
December 3rd, 2006, 12:59 PM
Definately entering.

BobtheGreatII
December 3rd, 2006, 06:02 PM
I'll enter and see what happens.

Agamemnon
December 3rd, 2006, 07:09 PM
Post ONLY contest submissions in this thread.

Please ONLY post a download link to your submission in this thread.

Btd69
December 3rd, 2006, 07:55 PM
Reserved for my entry :)

PlasbianX
December 3rd, 2006, 08:56 PM
What version of 3ds max was used? I can only use 7 and below, no 8.

dg
December 3rd, 2006, 10:52 PM
I'm looking for some good ones!

~dg945~

mined
December 4th, 2006, 10:21 AM
^Plasbianx,

- .max file (version 7) that showcases the Hoplite in both the stand fixed idle position as well as the full velocity flight position.

ONE issue I thought about last night...if you are planning on re mapping the vehicle, it would make my life a lot easier if you had the actaul model complete with nodes and markers. That way if you have remapped it and your skin wins, I don't have to go back and merge/re-link the nodes and markers.

So, if you are going to re-UVmap the vehicle let me know through a PM and I will send you an address where you can DL a complete model.

SgtBotley
December 4th, 2006, 12:42 PM
i swear the skin its got is good enough already

Chewy Gumball
December 4th, 2006, 02:11 PM
I looked at the uv map and it is not very optimized at all. It only looks great now because you have nothing to compare it to.

mined
December 6th, 2006, 07:51 AM
I looked at the uv map and it is not very optimized at all. It only looks great now because you have nothing to compare it to.

Yeah...I knew someone would see this once I released the bitmaps. I don't have a lot of experience skinning, and it shows with how I set everything up. One thing I have learned about it all, is that you have to decide how much detail is important and where. As you can see by the current skins, this is something that I have been a bit indecisive about.

So, like I said, you have the option to re-UV map it. If you want to do this, please let me know and I will send you to a completed model with all the nodes and markers.

Bad Waffle
December 10th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Wow, this model has me extremely impressed. i opened up the max file to see if i could fix anything, but its so well designed and implemented that it just blows me away. This is the inspiration for Hunter aerospace tech, from this point on.

mined
December 10th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Wow, this model has me extremely impressed. i opened up the max file to see if i could fix anything, but its so well designed and implemented that it just blows me away. This is the inspiration for Hunter aerospace tech, from this point on.

Thanks, WOL. I appreciate the good words. I have some ideas running around in my head so if you need a design/model man for Hunter Aerospace, just let me know and we can pull something together that falls into the style and design language you are looking for.

BTW, If you look close enough, there are still unneeded poly's...I sealed all of the objects in the beginning, not knowing if I was going to use them for the collision model. Some items could be left with open edges since they are on the GBX model only. I plan on doing one more clean up before I send her out into the world for good.

:D

dg
December 10th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Just checking, but did you post this at Gearbox as well? It might draw some more attention to it, just in case.

I'm just trying to check out the quality of what the Halo CE community can churn out for this gorgeous model. :-)

~dg945~

mined
December 10th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I made a post with the same title over at GBX with a link to this page. It floated with posts for a few days then fell back. I'll probably bump it here in a few days with a reminder how much time is left. If anyone wants to bump it for me, I would appreciate it.

I posted for an ad on lifepod as well.

I know what you mean dg945, I am really hoping a professional quality skin will come out of this...

Filefront indicates 39 downloads, but I am sure some of them where simply out of curiosity.

mined
December 27th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Less than five days left! Please post all contest submissions here! I look forward to seeing what everyone came up with.

mined
December 29th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I will be away from the internet for the remainder of the year so I am posting submission rules now.

- please submit at least three different rendered views of your skinning job in this thread.

- please put together a zip file containing your fully skinned model plus any bitmaps/shaders you created for the Hoplite.

- upload the zip file to a file server (such as file front) and post the link to your uploaded file.

All submissions are due by midnight on New Year's Eve.

Good Luck!

Hope everyone has a great holiday and stays safe.

:D

rossmum
December 29th, 2006, 05:38 PM
The remainder of the year is like... 2-3 days your time? :p

Stormwing
January 1st, 2007, 01:03 AM
so yeah. um. no posts at all? isn't this the entry thread? >>

I think i'm late..as is everyone else. I don't have the three views, and i don't know how many entries were allowed anyway, but whatever...i hurriedly threw this up since i'm awfully late anyway.

Pic:
http://www.maj.com/gallery/Solarix/Halo/secrets/rergregrg2.png
Link:
http://files.filefront.com/stormshopliterar/;6453379;;/fileinfo.html

I think mixing and matching the two could produce a better result, but idk. The base skin and UV is still yours anyway, cause it's just so freakin awesome :p