PDA

View Full Version : Project [N] ReSource Look For Character Modelers

Flapjack
July 24th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Hey,

My name is Tommy, my team, Project [N] ReSource (Project [N] ReSource - Main (http://www.projectnresource.com/)) is in development of it's first game. It's a 2D sidescrolling platformer. Akin to oldies such as Duke Nukem, Commander Keen, etc... Instead of doing pixel sprites such is the style for the genre, we're going with modeling everything, animating it, and then exporting the animation as a sprite. Project [N] ReSource currently has two modelers, myself and another member. We need some modelers, should anyone want to join I would love to see any work you have. Concepts are available upon request.

Thanks,
- Tommy

et_cg
July 24th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Seems like a decent idea, but instead of spending all that time animating just to get a set of frames from an animation, why not just do 3d with the characters?

I would pitch in as an extra hand, though I don't have much artwork saved up from all of my hardware issues. So I'm sure I'm out of the question.

Flapjack
July 24th, 2007, 02:16 AM
I did say in my post:

we're going with modeling everything, animating it, and then exporting the animation as a sprite.

IE, we're just going to export the finished animation, and then stitch it all into one image to make a sprite. So we do need 3D modelers. Unless of course you mean make an actual 3D game wherein we would actually use 3D models ingame. The reason we're not doing that:

1. It's our first project, we're not doing anything big to kick off our game development career...we need to start small, and a 2D game is a good way to get into the game dev field as a team, and still provide a good learning experience.

2. It's a whole heck of a lot less time consuming to 2D rather than 3D from a coding standpoint.

Thanks,
- Tommy

et_cg
July 24th, 2007, 02:27 AM
I wasn't being ignorant, Flapjack, and I know you weren't implying that. I just thought I'd state it. (I'm not trying to sound like an asshole, honestly.)

Anyways, I did understand what you said already, but I was just suggesting something. I've been talking to some people with ground-up game engine coding experience, and from what they've told me is DirectX does make it pretty simple to code games with, but for getting the logic down with that, takes a whole 'nother handful of months. So you work your artists with your coders side by side, not expecting a playable game right away, and you'll have something decent.

The easiest, most impressive way to start, is indeed, create a 2d game. If you supply your own engine, then you are headed in the best direction possible.

If you need any assistance, or want to start getting a good grip on things, I've been par-taking in a new community that is based off of a social experience. Right now I'm not so quick to flaunt it, but if you would like to check it out, and get a better idea of how it's going to work, just toss me a PM, I'd be more than happy to help get you into it.

As with that, I'd also be more than happy to assist you and your team in whatever I can. I don't mind getting into something that is potentially good in the long run, and even in the short run.

DaneO'Roo
July 24th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Why do that? Why not just draw the sprites in, if someones obviously going to unwrap and skin these bipeds/levels/watever, whats the point when the same person who is painting the texture can just draw a 2D side on image? Seems like a waste of time that way, to me. It's different, thats for sure, but efficient? God no. Why bother unwrapping/modelling/texturing what you can't see?

If you want a hi res graphics looking game, but as a side scroller, you don't need to go to all the effort that you would making a 3D game. Hence the term 3D. You don't make 3D for a 2D game. Thats just stupid.

n00b1n8R
July 24th, 2007, 04:36 AM
3d engines are harder.

et_cg
July 24th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Why do that? Why not just draw the sprites in, if someones obviously going to unwrap and skin these bipeds/levels/watever, whats the point when the same person who is painting the texture can just draw a 2D side on image? Seems like a waste of time that way, to me. It's different, thats for sure, but efficient? God no. Why bother unwrapping/modelling/texturing what you can't see?

If you want a hi res graphics looking game, but as a side scroller, you don't need to go to all the effort that you would making a 3D game. Hence the term 3D. You don't make 3D for a 2D game. Thats just stupid.

That about sums up my thinking. In a much simpler way, more for the 2d side, though.

It will take a lot more work to get models and whatnot setup properly. But barely any effort to make them pictures. Creating sprites by hand my take effort, but it's a lot quick than having to go through the extra trouble of modeling things that will never be used in it's fully glorious state in the game.

Warsaw
July 24th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I have to admit that I too am still puzzled as to why you want to do it 3D first and not just go straight to sprites.

Flapjack
July 24th, 2007, 01:43 PM

It takes hours for one frame to be drawn in pixel art, and there's one person on my team who can do it. Plus even if it was less frames we're going to need animations for walking and running with five different guns, jumping, crouching, etc...

It's much faster to model the characters and weapons and animate the characters and just export as a lossless image format. Even if it were ten frame animations, you need at least six sets for walking....1 for no weapon, and 5 more with a weapon. That's 60 frames. Add 60 more on top of that for running. Okay, 5-10 frames for each set of jumping...crouching. And next, we're onto aliens.

It's much much quicker in the end to just animate in Max and export as a sprite. Truth is, the reasons why are not really that important, but we need modelers than you're most welcome to join.

Warsaw
July 25th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Five? I thought I only drew four: minigun, sniper, pistol, and rocket. Did I miss something?

et_cg
July 25th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Five? I thought I only drew four: minigun, sniper, pistol, and rocket. Did I miss something?

Maybe he's counting the fact that the player will not have a weapon on a some sprites...

legionaire45
July 25th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Maybe he's counting the fact that the player will not have a weapon on a some sprites...
He mentioned 5 weapons plus unarmed.

I'd be interested in doing it but I'll but up to my anus in homework for the next 6 months.

Are you guys going to write your own engine for this or are you going to mod an existing side scroller?

Flapjack
July 25th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Ya, lol, I'm crazy.

He mentioned 5 weapons plus unarmed.

I'd be interested in doing it but I'll but up to my anus in homework for the next 6 months.

Are you guys going to write your own engine for this or are you going to mod an existing side scroller?

And yeah, our own engine and tools from the ground up :).

MithosK
July 25th, 2007, 07:39 AM
why do 3d models for a 2d side scroller?
New Super Mario Bros...

et_cg
July 25th, 2007, 03:16 PM
New Super Mario Bros...

With weapons! Not just powerups.

Emmzee
July 25th, 2007, 04:40 PM
New Super Mario Bros...
Yoshi's Story...