PDA

View Full Version : Animated Crosshair

HDoan
July 26th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Can someone give me a tutorial on how to animate a crosshair? Like when I charge my plasma pistol, on the weapon theres a circle that changes color. I want to do that with a crosshair.

fatso784
July 26th, 2007, 05:18 PM
From my knowledge, you can't animate crosshairs. They're sprites.

HDoan
July 26th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Then how come theres a charge option in the .weapon_hud_interface file under crosshair? and does anyone know how to fix my first person? It wont go with tool or tool+ so I tried using the third person model and the model is to far to the right

Jay2645
July 26th, 2007, 06:15 PM
You can animate crosshairs, but only when the weapons is charging/when you see an enemy. I don't know how to do it, though.

CabooseJr
July 26th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I thought CMT was gonna make a tutorial on how to do that.

HDoan
July 26th, 2007, 10:43 PM
So did I but I think it was for the crosshair changing when close enough. I got the first person view of my weapon to work but the weapon is too low, is there any way to move it up a bit?

Jay2645
July 26th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I think that if you move the FP model up a bit, it should look about right.

HDoan
July 26th, 2007, 11:26 PM
That didn't work

Con
July 26th, 2007, 11:27 PM
leet's reticule animations are actually done in the weapon's FP animations

Zeph
July 26th, 2007, 11:45 PM
There's a way to do it, but it's not in the typical way. Evolution was going to do it. I'll forward this to Wave and if he's up to sharing, since his mod is going standalone now, he'll post about it.

CtrlAltDestroy
July 26th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I do mine by making them part of the FP arm/FP weapon models, exploiting animations and functions.

Bad Waffle
July 27th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Yep, CAD saw the idea in an earlier EVO build, and obviously he stole it for the RL and such.

But yea, you model your reticle (or make it a plane with the crosshair texture) and link it to its own frame, which will control the movement, rotation, and scale of the reticle when its doing whatever. Ill make a quick video of the last evo build for halo.

HDoan
July 27th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Thanks for all the help, does anyone have any idea on how to shrink the first person model :|

CtrlAltDestroy
July 27th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Yep, CAD saw the idea in an earlier EVO build, and obviously he stole it for the RL and such.

But yea, you model your reticle (or make it a plane with the crosshair texture) and link it to its own frame, which will control the movement, rotation, and scale of the reticle when its doing whatever. Ill make a quick video of the last evo build for halo.

Actually I made that RL before I saw any evo content with it. :p

Oxygen
July 27th, 2007, 10:00 AM
ummm..ya, metroid already had the same/similar ideas when working with the hud. so neither of you are the first. anyways...i guess you could make a simple square or circle in max and uv an animated bitmap on it. i dunno...depends on what you're good at - animation in max or bitmaps and shaders in guerilla.

~Oxy

PenGuin1362
July 27th, 2007, 10:06 AM
ummm..ya, metroid already had the same/similar ideas when working with the hud. so neither of you are the first. anyways...i guess you could make a simple square or circle in max and uv an animated bitmap on it. i dunno...depends on what you're good at - animation in max or bitmaps and shaders in guerilla.

~Oxy

l33t's been doin this a long time -_-

and that would not work, you would have to animate the model itself. the only animated textures halo 1 supports are scrolling textures

how do you shrink the model? scale -> x,y,z click and drag :rolleyes:

CtrlAltDestroy
July 27th, 2007, 10:07 AM
No, you can have rotational shader animations.

Scooby Doo
July 27th, 2007, 02:37 PM
penguin, couldn't u use something similar to the water shaders? like a sequence of multiple bitmaps - starting with the normal crosshair and then rotate it consistantly for the bitmaps next in the sequence? that could be a possibility, but it would be much easier to model it into the fp. although, you could make it very simple and just make like 8 bitmaps and rotate it 45 degress each time...

can the shaders for a crosshair be set up that way though? i dunno...i's a N3WB!

-Scooby

PenGuin1362
July 27th, 2007, 03:00 PM
hm, i dunno, i never took the time to look at the water shader. although it's easier to do it in fp. that's how bungie did on the gun itself.

HDoan
July 27th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Notice how I don't understand what you all are saying because I'm a noob
edit: also does anyone know how I can make the lasrs damage vehicles like a banshee while someone is in it? I have it so it detonates in the damage_effects but the vehicles and people get sent a little to far... a little to far as in 10000 feet. What should I set my damage effects to?

Masterz1337
July 27th, 2007, 07:25 PM
.5- 3 world units

HDoan
July 27th, 2007, 08:15 PM
.5- 3 world units
and what would I change in damage_effects with that :eyesroll:

CtrlAltDestroy
July 27th, 2007, 08:17 PM
The fields at the very top (range).

EDIT: Nvm, force. (Instantaneous acceleration)

HDoan
July 27th, 2007, 08:57 PM
The fields at the very top (range).

EDIT: Nvm, force. (Instantaneous acceleration)
Oh thanks

Dole
July 27th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I do mine by making them part of the FP arm/FP weapon models, exploiting animations and functions.
As in, the Spartan Laser charging or the Rocket Launcher targeting wouldn't work while the Third Person hack is active?

CtrlAltDestroy
July 27th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Precisely; nor when zoomed.

HDoan
July 28th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Does anyone have a tutorial for making effects?

Tarzan
July 28th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Does anyone have a tutorial for making effects?

I'm pretty sure Kenney001 posted something either here or at halomaps about particle systems that should help a lot with making effect tags...

HDoan
July 28th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Nice tutorial Masters :) http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?pg=3&fid=3034
EDIT: Does anyone know were the plasma pistol charge particle is :|