PDA

View Full Version : Limits of Halo Engine

}_50Æ{_|ñeا†«O
July 26th, 2007, 10:12 PM
I've seen some pretty amazing stuff done by people out there, but have we hit the limits of the Halo engine? I mean, a lot of stuff has to be "faked"...

Archon23
July 26th, 2007, 10:29 PM
.........For the love of god. Stop speed making threads. Exactly how many did you make today?

Jay2645
July 26th, 2007, 10:43 PM
I've seen some pretty amazing stuff done by people out there, but have we hit the limits of the Halo engine? I mean, a lot of stuff has to be "faked"...
Meh, there's probably a lot of stuff we can still do, we just haven't discovered it yet. We just got into the campaign's scripts, there's a lot of stuff we can do. I predict more campaign mods in the future.

CtrlAltDestroy
July 26th, 2007, 10:44 PM
lmao

TheGhost
July 26th, 2007, 10:45 PM
20,000 faces in a map seems to be pushing the limit.

Yes, I'm talking about you, Yoyorast Island v2.

Jay2645
July 26th, 2007, 10:46 PM
lmao
Hey, I managed to get into the Silent Cartographer the other day.

AAA
July 26th, 2007, 10:48 PM
=X There's a limit for ya. I REALLY hope I don't lag on that map... I also hope Madworkz answers him.If he doesn't, I'd rather wait than see one last cool thing stay out.

ShadowSpartan
July 26th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Meh, there's probably a lot of stuff we can still do, we just haven't discovered it yet. We just got into the campaign's scripts, there's a lot of stuff we can do. I predict more campaign mods in the future.
Yeah, well I managed to get into that and every other map the other day.

Jay2645
July 27th, 2007, 03:22 AM
=X There's a limit for ya. I REALLY hope I don't lag on that map... I also hope Madworkz answers him.If he doesn't, I'd rather wait than see one last cool thing stay out.
Yeah, I hope that Madworkz answers, too, because I really don't like my ATV when compared to his. It makes me feel small and pathetic.
For those who don't know, if Madworkz fails to talk to Yoyo, then Yoyorast Island gets my ATV, which is just a mod of KiLLa's.
I never use Yoyorast Island V1's ATVs. I see them, but I hardly ever use them. They're too easy to flip.

SuperSunny
July 27th, 2007, 04:49 AM
To be honest, for an old game engine, there are not that many limits. Poly counts can be mid-to-high, as long as levels are decently portalled and characters are modelled with care, and graphically everything can be extreme.
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/9585/l01c815045ea11b66a3c114sx2.jpg
I retain 60-70 FPS at that spot, on a 9600xt, AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2.0 GHZ, 512 MB ram, 800x600 res. Now, considering many gamers have much higher specs than what I have, Halo should be able to pump out amazing FPS on work that is higher quality than what is shown in that screenshot. There is high use of shaders, VERY high use. The level itself is well portalled. Dynamic lights in many places.

What IS limited, is what we can do with the engine itself in terms of customizing it. We are locked to the shader types that are given to us, and the scripting code that is given to us.

Skyline
July 27th, 2007, 07:18 AM
20,000 faces in a map seems to be pushing the limit.

Yes, I'm talking about you, Yoyorast Island v2.
Doesn't portent have 50 000?

SnaFuBAR
July 27th, 2007, 11:50 AM
:eyesroll:i've had a mp map of 70,000 triangles with no framerate loss

Con
July 27th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I bet it wasn't the DH UI BSP was it? Nagger.

LlamaMaster
July 27th, 2007, 12:19 PM
:eyesroll:i've had a mp map of 70,000 triangles with no framerate loss
You have actually got one of your maps in game?

Also, this thread has been made before, so if you get unbanned use the search feature next time.

SnaFuBAR
July 27th, 2007, 12:20 PM
all of them have been ingame... none released to you. also, bite me, con SARS.

LlamaMaster
July 27th, 2007, 12:22 PM
all of them have been ingame... none released to you. also, bite, con SARS.
I really want to play your maps, they look so leet. :(

MNC
July 27th, 2007, 03:04 PM
To be honest, for an old game engine, there are not that many limits. Poly counts can be mid-to-high, as long as levels are decently portalled and characters are modelled with care, and graphically everything can be extreme.

I retain 60-70 FPS at that spot, on a 9600xt, AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2.0 GHZ, 512 MB ram, 800x600 res. Now, considering many gamers have much higher specs than what I have, Halo should be able to pump out amazing FPS on work that is higher quality than what is shown in that screenshot. There is high use of shaders, VERY high use. The level itself is well portalled. Dynamic lights in many places.

What IS limited, is what we can do with the engine itself in terms of customizing it. We are locked to the shader types that are given to us, and the scripting code that is given to us.

I'd say this is one of the things that's pushing the limits. It's looking so awesome, and I still can only just believe Halo can do this.

Also, Singleplayer Maps For The Win.

PenGuin1362
July 27th, 2007, 03:05 PM
snaf where have you been we has work to do <:mad:>

there are limits in some aspects and hardly any in others. model wise we can put a shit load into the game. functions, animations, and other things we're a bit limited.

sums it up right there.

hell random damn near figured out team bipeds : D but no for you :mad:

Gamerkd16
July 27th, 2007, 03:09 PM
.........For the love of god. Stop speed making threads. Exactly how many did you make today?
Yea, seriously. What's with all the random questions? I feel like were in a discussion group and 50‡&#200;j"ˆŒ&#229;p or whats-his-face is the leader asking us about the game.

yoyorast
July 28th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Yeah, I hope that Madworkz answers, too, because I really don't like my ATV when compared to his. It makes me feel small and pathetic.
For those who don't know, if Madworkz fails to talk to Yoyo, then Yoyorast Island gets my ATV, which is just a mod of KiLLa's.
I never use Yoyorast Island V1's ATVs. I see them, but I hardly ever use them. They're too easy to flip.

Well I still have to test it Jay.. but ye in the case Madworkz doesn't answer (great chances), If yours meets the quality and requirments I asked you, it will defently be in V2.. otherwise the last option is to have no ATV..:(

and about the limit of thez engine.. Baturkin told me he put a 50000 polygons model ingame.. with no portal.. it was working fine.. so I don't know why our beta has this clipping problem with 20000..

Jay2645
July 28th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Well I still have to test it Jay.. but ye in the case Madworkz doesn't answer (great chances), If yours meets the quality and requirments I asked you, it will defently be in V2.. otherwise the last option is to have no ATV..:(

and about the limit of thez engine.. Baturkin told me he put a 50000 polygons model ingame.. with no portal.. it was working fine.. so I don't know why our beta has this clipping problem with 20000..
Ah yes, the testing. I hope it meets the quality you're looking for, I know it meets the requirements (Well, except for the horn, but you never sent me one).

yoyorast
July 28th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Ah yes, the testing. I hope it meets the quality you're looking for, I know it meets the requirements (Well, except for the horn, but you never sent me one).

Ye ye, I'd just like to send it to ya.. and if it's ready let's go testing.. but what's your AIM?

PenGuin1362
July 28th, 2007, 12:49 PM

ya always got me :)