PDA

View Full Version : Help: Recommendations for my Computer

bleach
July 27th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I have the Dell Dimension 1100 Home Basic Desktop, how i got it? Answer: I won it in a contest.

Right now, i have:

Case: Dell Dimension 1100
Motherboard: Miscellaneous Item (wondering if I need to upgrade to PCI-E X16 Micro ATX Mini-Form Factor)
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 w/ Hyper Threading 2.53 GHz 1 MB Cache (upgrade?)
Memory: 1.024 GB DDR SDRAM PC3200 400 MHz 2 x 512 Memory Modules (wondering if i could upgrade to 2 GB)
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9250 PCI 256 MB DDR DX8.1 (Upgrade depends on upgrade on any other component)
PSU: Power Supply Unit = 250 Watts (upgrade?)
Network: Airlink 101 Super G Wireless PCI Adapter 108 MBPS (I think i'm gonna stick with this, this gives me optimum performance in online gaming and surfing the web)
Sound Card: Don't know, some spider webs hanging in my Case (suggestions?)
Optical Drive: A CD Drive...(recommendations?)
Hard Drive: Internal 80 GB, used up about 55 GB of it. I'm a gamer / multimedia enthusiast so I need more...I think the only option for this now is External Hard Drive...any one know any good external hard drives? (I need to back up the Halo files, my mom stepped on my Halo CD and broke it, glad i have Daemon DVD/CD Virtual Emulator Program.)
And any other important computer component i might have forgotten, please tell me.

I'm thinking about turning my computer from ancient Mayan tech to a normal PC like every body else. Please suggest anything i can do.
more comign to edit.

legionaire45
July 27th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Case: Dell Dimension 1100
Doesn't really matter too much unless its Micro ATX only, in which case your motherboard choice will be a tiny bit slimmer.
Motherboard: Miscellaneous Item (wondering if I need to upgrade to PCI-E X16 Micro ATX Mini-Form Factor)
Check and see if the board has a PCI Express slot, if it doesn't then you will.
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 w/ Hyper Threading 2.53 GHz 1 MB Cache (upgrade?)
Yes. If you end up needing a new motherboard then I highly suggest you get a Core 2 Duo, even a low end one.
Memory: 1.024 GB DDR SDRAM PC3200 400 MHz 2 x 512 Memory Modules (wondering if i could upgrade to 2 GB)
1 gig is hardly enough for any version of Vista, so definitely upgrade that. Most of the newer Core 2 Duo boards support only DDR2 and a few really new ones only support DDR3, so basically decide how much you want to spend on an upgrade and then post back and I can build you a rough system with that figure.
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9250 PCI 256 MB DDR DX8.1 (Upgrade depends on upgrade on any other component)
YES. Once again, depending on your budget, I'll pick something out for you.
PSU: Power Supply Unit = 250 Watts (upgrade?)
Once again, yes. You'll want at least a 500 watt unit.
Network: Airlink 101 Super G Wireless PCI Adapter 108 MBPS (I think i'm gonna stick with this, this gives me optimum performance in online gaming and surfing the web)
Should be fine, I think I have the MIMO version of that card (unless they are the same). I dont think there are Vista x64 drivers for it if you care =\.
Sound Card: Don't know, some spider webs hanging in my Case (suggestions?)
Is there an actual sound card or is it integrated onto the motherboard? If you get a new motherboard, for sure it will have a sound chip built in, so unless you are an audio fidelity whore then you should be fine xD.
Optical Drive: A CD Drive...(recommendations?)
A $30 dual layer dvd burner with lightscribe wouldn't hurt.
Hard Drive: Internal 80 GB, used up about 55 GB of it. I'm a gamer / multimedia enthusiast so I need more...I think the only option for this now is External Hard Drive...any one know any good external hard drives? (I need to back up the Halo files, my mom stepped on my Halo CD and broke it, glad i have Daemon DVD/CD Virtual Emulator Program.)
I'm using a 320 Gig Seagate and with all the crap I have on it I've filled up around 160 gigs. So yeah, at the very least go for a 320 gig drive, but for something like $50 more you can go with a 500 gig drive.
And any other important computer component i might have forgotten, please tell me.

I'm thinking about turning my computer from ancient Mayan tech to a normal PC like every body else. Please suggest anything i can do.
more coming to edit.
<3.

Amit
July 27th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Motherboard is a must upgrade, he doesn't even have an AGP slot on that one. Highly suggest getting a low-end core 2 duo as Legionaire said. I use a P4 HT clocked at 3.02GHz and it runs amazing. The case should be upgraded to at least a midtower, not compact size or that severely limits what MB u can use and what you can put in ur PC. 1 GB is enough to run Vista, I run it on 1GB, no waiting. Also it's more like 400W PSU minimum since, judging from past threads, he's not looking to run an 8800GTS.

bleach
July 28th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Alright, my budget for the upgrade is under 1000 dollars (can be 1000+ depending on tax; the limit is probably 1100, 1200 ~approximate calculations). I need you guys to post links to the precious components that I need to have a true upgrade. I'm looking for:
Processor: about 2.5-3.2 GHz, at least 2 MB - 4 MB L2 Cache for the Core 2 Duo
Mother Board: I don't really want my 2 x 512 MB DDR 400 PC3200 memory modules to go to waste, but, if DDR2 and DDR3 are worth it, I'll upgrade to PCI-E (doesn't have to be Scalable Link Interface)
Video Card: The truth: Geforce > Radeon. Nvidia Geforce 7 GPU, great performance and low cost. [Or, if you can find a Geforce 8 series at a low price, please don't hesitate to tell me, but I'm don't like the 8400, 8500, or the 8600 GT, I heard that GTS was pretty good. (Vista Aero, multiple programs, gaming, video, etc.)
Sound Card: I think my sound chip is integrated into my mother board.
PSU: ~480 Power Supply , or depending on my computer!
Memory: Again, I have 1.024 GB fitted in my rig right now, I hope that they don't go to waste!
Case: Micro ATX is fine, considering i need some leg space in the cramped desk in the corner I'm typing and sitting in right now.
Network Card: Mediocre.
Need External Hard Drive: I need at least 160 more GB...need to back up 52.5 GB of info, videos, documents, games, and for Vista.
Optical Drive: 18x - 20x DVD/CD Combo Read/Write for both and without or with lightscribe isn't any difference, I just put a label onto the CD/DVD some times.
Monitor: Envision 19 Inch LCD Screen Max Res 1280 x 1024.
Speakers: Dual Ace-Q by the Mesopotamian Priests. - I like them to stay, for now.
Mouse: Dell NON-optical mouse with the mouse pad
Keyboard: Dell KeyBoard

Atty
July 28th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Q66, 680i Motherboard, eVGA 8800GTS 640, Cheap 2GB DDR2 677/800 kit (check Hot deals at Anandtech or Dailytech), Seagate 320GB Perp. Hard Drive, any CD/DVD Drive, Floppy Drive, Don't need a network Card, you don't need an external Hard Drive but if you want one, get one from Best Buy on sale for cheap or check NewEgg, I'm happy with the Western Digital one I've got. Get a new mouse and keyboard. k? k.

Also, get a nice 600w+ PSU, OCZ GameXStream is nice, but whatever.

bleach
July 28th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Wait, I'm only using the exoskeleton of this poor Dell Dimension computer.
Micro ATX.

Atty
July 28th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Wait what the fuck my window opended and I only saw that previous post above mine. :-3

Just get some dry ice, an old Netburst, a killer overclocking motherboard, and then super-suicide run it. :)

bleach
July 28th, 2007, 10:53 AM
I need the links. Besides, I only want to stuff the upgrade into my Dell Micro ATX. My price: under ~1200. I haven't heard of any of the things that you just mentioned. I can't give any more rep to you:(, the system won't let me.
~Bleach

Amit
July 28th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Spend the extra $70 to get a half decent case that is larger than your current one. You will NOT be happy with the motherboard you get if you're limited to the MicroATX form factor. Even if you need leg room, who cares? I'd rather be uncomfortable with a somewhat fast PC that can actually run applications that I want it to run. Also doesn't Dell mount they're motherboards on the opposite side of the case that we normally would?

klange
July 28th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Woah, woah, wait.
1 gig is hardly enough for any version of Vista?
Even I have to say no to that. I have 1gig in my laptop and it runs Home Premium fine, heck, better than fine.
Can't help much with the upgrades, though, so... I'll just leave now.

Xetsuei
July 28th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Just get some dry ice, an old Netburst, a killer overclocking motherboard, and then super-suicide run it. :)

:lmao:

bleach
July 28th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Ok...I'm kind of cautious about my actions, so I think (for a long time, a while) before I move or do anything. I don't want my fingers to be squashed by the case, I heard on newegg, about some cons on some cases, that people broke their hand or something.
Check list:

Need to get a Mid Size ATX Computer Case already with 500 Watt PSU pre-assembled
New Motherboard - I don't care about SLI , but I do need PCI-Express, supports up to 4 GB Max Memory (I'm still thinking about upgrading from DDR to DDR2 or DDR3), supports Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, or Core 2 Extreme, and good quality for "medium" cost.
Video Card - PCI-Express, at least Shader Model 3.0, 256 MB or more memory, Direct X 9.0c, fast, low-heat, DDR2 or DDR3 memory, Nvidia Geforce family (or BFG, eVGA, XFX)
Sound Card - I hope i have extra money to get a 7.1 Audio, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE or something like that. If not, I think i'll go with the one integrated into Mother Board.
Power Supply: 500 Watt, SLI capable (although I'm not sure if I want a SLI mobo), and pre assembled into the case, look above)
Memory RAM - DDR, DDR2, DDR3 are all ok I guess, but I do want 2 GB RAM or more.
Hard Drive - 160 to 320 GB are all ok. A good internal hard drive...fast, 3.0 GB/s, 16 MB speed or whatever. Also, does anyone know if I can port Halo PC/CE and the contents from my Dell Dimension 1100 Hard Drive to my new computer? My Halo CD broke. All I have is Daemon Tools CD/DVD Emulator Program with Halo.mds and Halo.mdf which I'm using right now, Halo CE maps, and Halo PC mods. If anyone knows any methods of transporting my stuff from my old computer (the computer I'm using right now Dell Dimension 1100) to my new computer (custom component selections), please tell me. I don't know whats the use for a new computer if I can't play Halo or any of my games there. Thanks!
Optical Drive - CD/DVD combo dual layer read write 18x or 20x DVD read and write, 32x - whatever the highest speed for CD Rom writing and reading.
Mouse and Keyboard, I want low priced, under 15 dollar optical USB 2.0 Wire Mouse with scrolling button in middle (not a fancy mouse), and a small USB 2.0 Wired Keyboard. I don't know if I want a new mouse and keyboard, cause I'm gonna put my Dell Dimension 1100 under the left side of my desk (for left foot rest) and my new computer under the right side of my desk (for right foot rest) and a little bit of space between both computers to horse around with my cat.
Monitor: I'm ok with this, no upgrade is necessary, really. I play Halo PC/CE in window mode, it feels better probably because of the super lag I get from my ATI Radeon 9250 PCI DDR 256 MB graphics card right now.
Speakers: I'm ok with them.
Computer Switching Machine: I need a machine that can hook both computers to the same keyboard, mouse, monitor LCD screen and speakers.
Network Card: another 14.99 Airlink 101 108 MBPS Super G Extend Range Cheap Price Good Quality PCI Adapter Wireless Network Card. (If i have left over money, I hope a Killer K1 or M1 Gaming Network card will suffice.)So, good? I need links now. To the components best for me. Altogether, I can probably beg my parents to spend $1000 to maybe the super limit, $1200 dollars, without tax and Electricity Bills, considering how much I use modern world technology, phone, Television, Radio, Computers, home appliances, and not including water bills.

~Bleach

Ki11a_FTW
July 28th, 2007, 06:06 PM
The MASTER video card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195016&CMP=KNC-GoogleAdwords&ATT=VideoCards

Xetsuei
July 28th, 2007, 10:45 PM
The MASTER video card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195016&CMP=KNC-GoogleAdwords&ATT=VideoCards

I have it for my desktop, i gatta say, tis like PWN

No.

legionaire45
July 29th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Woah, woah, wait.
1 gig is hardly enough for any version of Vista?
Even I have to say no to that. I have 1gig in my laptop and it runs Home Premium fine, heck, better than fine.
Until you run something like Oblivion. Oblivion on a gig of Ram in XP was giving me hell.

CPU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017)
Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128053)/
Ram (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161030)
GPU1/ (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130071)
PSU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002)
HDD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148136)
Shipping and tax will probably bring it up to (or a bit over) $1200.

//extra stuff you can get later if you want.//

DVD Burner (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135146)
Sound Card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102005)
Case1 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133035)/Case2(comes with a PSU installed, so if your afraid your going kill yourself...) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156062)/Case3
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133021)
And trust me, installing a power supply in a case if not going to break your arm unless your a total dipshit.

bleach
July 29th, 2007, 02:38 AM
K thanks. L45, i don't know what to say. +Rep whenever i can!!! <3
I must spread rep...don't worry, i'll get it to you.

X3RO SHIF7
July 29th, 2007, 12:01 PM
lol wow, so theres not much of a point in posting this, everyones answer is pretty much buy a new computer, the only thing your going to keep is the cdrom drive, hdd and the case - possibly - but it doesent even make sense keeping the case seeing as cases are not expensive and you could get a less restricting case for cheap, kind of funny how getting a free computer ends up making you buy a new one lol

bleach
July 29th, 2007, 02:28 PM
My computer is a gay, home, basic, kindergarten classroom computer.
I'm not in Pre-K, I play games, watch videos, edit some pictures, and I need less lag and more multi-tasking. You guys can be better off building your own comps than buying dell.
~Bleach

Atty
July 29th, 2007, 02:43 PM
The MASTER video card:

I have it for my desktop, i gatta say, tis like PWNNo, please never post in a Tech Talk forum again.

bleach
July 29th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Lulz. Nvidia is way better than ATI. Geforce > Radeon

Amit
July 29th, 2007, 03:19 PM
The MASTER video card:

I have it for my desktop, i gatta say, tis like PWN

Clearly you have never seen better graphics.

Xetsuei
July 29th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Lulz. Nvidia is way better than ATI. Geforce > Radeon

Not exactly.

Amit
July 29th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Xetsuei™;111893']Not exactly.

Ya it depends, but as of late it's true. Most places don't call them Radeons anymore.

legionaire45
July 29th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Ya it depends, but as of late it's true. Most places don't call them Radeons anymore.
Thats because they aren't called Radeons anymore period.

As of late Nvidia has been kicking ATI's ass in terms of market share. The 8800 GTX and the HD2900 are both great cards, but right now its probably too little too late this round for ATI. They have a lot of catching up to do.

Amit
July 29th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Maybe ATi will come out with a HD 2900PRO. In that case I would definitely buy it after benchmarks and comparison reviews come in are good. Remember the X1950PRO vs. 7900GS. Very close but overall the X1950PRO was the better card. Plus X1950PRO has VIVO, one of my main selling features.

Xetsuei
July 29th, 2007, 11:51 PM
IMO HD 2000 sounds waaay better than Radeon. :eyesroll:

X3RO SHIF7
July 30th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Xetsueiâ„¢;112311']IMO HD 2000 sounds waaay better than Radeon. :eyesroll:
meh HD is overused

Amit
July 30th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Ya, it sound like some invention somebody made. I personally like Radeon better.

someone
July 30th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Thats because they aren't called Radeons anymore period.
They're still called radeons: ATI Radeon HD 2900 (http://ati.amd.com/uk/products/Radeonhd2900/index.html)(for example)

Ki11a_FTW
July 30th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Sorry im know little about video cards, but dont flame me >_< , but whats so bad about the X1950

InnerGoat
July 30th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Uh, nothing is bad with the x1950.

:|

Xetsuei
July 30th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Sorry im know little about video cards, but dont flame me >_< , but whats so bad about the X1950

You didn't post a X1950, you posted the X1900GT.

Ki11a_FTW
July 30th, 2007, 07:24 PM
crap, probably pasted the wrong link :lol:

bleach
July 31st, 2007, 02:54 PM
The HD2900 from ATI is expensive, if I buy it for a computer, my family's bank will scream. Same with buying Intel Core 2 Extreme Processors.

Amit
July 31st, 2007, 03:11 PM
You can get the X1950PRO which there is virtually nothing bad about it and you can get the E6600 for cheap prices now.

bleach
August 1st, 2007, 06:24 PM
I actually like the Core 2 Duo 6850 even though it is 4 MB L2 Cache, but its operating frequency is 3.0 GHz, I hope the Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz 8 MB L2 Cache can be over clocked to 3.0 GHz. The Quad 6700 2.66 GHz is 200 dollars more expensive than the Q6600. Let's try not to talk about people who have Intel Core 2 Extremes Processors. >.<
Some Core 2 Extremes are over 1000 dollars!

Xetsuei
August 1st, 2007, 11:46 PM
Hey Digikid and I have Core 2 Extremes hurr hurr hurr. Also, whats wrong with 4mb L2 Cache? E6850 is dual core and Q6600 is quad, so half of the L2 Cache should be expected.