PDA

View Full Version : Problem Modeling in 3DS

boltdwright
July 30th, 2007, 10:05 AM
I was trying to model a map the other day and move this edge of vertices down so i could make a cave, but I could select all the vertices, but i couldn't move then in the z direction( Which is down in this image). I could only move them out and to the right or left but not down. Do any of you know whats causing this? Any help would be sweet! Thanks.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k267/Wright_D/Problemwith3ds-1.jpg

-Wright
G-Tag:TrueFaith101

Limited
July 30th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Weird not sure why you cant move them down, however there is a crap load of errors in that map (me thinks)

Vicky
July 30th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Think i've had that too once, a long time ago, as workaround you could try to rightclick the move icon and then alter the z-coordinate(s).

boltdwright
July 30th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Weird not sure why you cant move them down, however there is a crap load of errors in that map (me thinks)

Why do you say that?

boltdwright
July 30th, 2007, 12:38 PM
how can you find the distance between two points in max 8 so you can see how high a certain opening is? Oh Vicky the thing you said to do worked. But why cant I do it from the transform Gizmo.

Limited
July 30th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Why do you say that?
Hense the black shaded parts >_< Also whats with editable poly??

Terin
July 30th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Well, you can move the mouse over one point, look at the coordinates, and then move it to the other point, and look at the coordinates...

Llama Juice
July 30th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Hit X to get the mover widget back.

boltdwright
July 30th, 2007, 04:33 PM
okay
ty
OMGOSH IT WORKS!!!! TY dude lol

boltdwright
July 30th, 2007, 04:39 PM
is there a way to make sure the wall is pointing exactly straight up?

et_cg
July 30th, 2007, 05:13 PM
How about this:

Trash that, and save us all the brain damage.

You're much better off taking your time to learn to model, rather than following some damn tutorials just for making a simple Halo map.

And you better not release that. Unless you work on it AFTER you've learned how to model.

I'm not being mean, I'm just directly helping. In a more or less, harsh way.

Trust me... I never released any of my crap maps. I really have NEVER released a map. The only ones of mine that are out there, are leaks from idiots.

boltdwright
July 30th, 2007, 05:51 PM
i know hes not being mean :). Im not gonna relase that map BTW lol i already knew that because it would not be my creation lol. I already knew that. But thanks for the harsh truth lol.

Evil_Dude
July 30th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Just make the selected vetecies have the same x value as the ones below them. To be honest, almost all of my mapping experience has not been done with the gizmo, but instead by manually typing out the coordinate values at the bottom. Gives you the perfect accuracy you need in some occasions.

Best of luck in your learning process

et_cg
July 30th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Just make the selected vetecies have the same x value as the ones below them. To be honest, almost all of my mapping experience has not been done with the gizmo, but instead by manually typing out the coordinate values at the bottom. Gives you the perfect accuracy you need in some occasions.

Best of luck in your learning process

Good point, you have full jurisdiction in how something will turn out by playing with the numbers.

And I, too, wish you good luck in your learning process. :D

boltdwright
July 30th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Thanks.

FireScythe
July 31st, 2007, 11:26 AM
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/6831/planarwg4.jpg

These buttons will make a selection of verticies planar along any of the 3 axis' (X,Y,Z), or using an average (Make Planar). You would probably use X and then manually put the correct X co-ordinate at the bottom.

Also, to find distances you can use the tape measure helper, along with vertex snaps to find the distance between two points.

Tweek
July 31st, 2007, 12:04 PM
or just scale along the axis you want them aligned, that's what i always do.

jngrow
July 31st, 2007, 05:38 PM
How about this:

Trash that, and save us all the brain damage.

You're much better off taking your time to learn to model, rather than following some damn tutorials just for making a simple Halo map.

And you better not release that. Unless you work on it AFTER you've learned how to model.

I'm not being mean, I'm just directly helping. In a more or less, harsh way.

Trust me... I never released any of my crap maps. I really have NEVER released a map. The only ones of mine that are out there, are leaks from idiots.

He never said he wanted to release the map XD.