PDA

View Full Version : [HALO 3] The Tru7h About Co-Op in Halo 3

Atty
July 31st, 2007, 04:00 PM
It’s time for us to sack up and tell you what’s what regarding online co-op.

So you were probably wondering why we didn’t want to commit to two player co-op online over Xbox Live. We certainly got plenty of mail asking, no, demanding that we make it happen. Of course we were working on it, but we were also working on something better. Not two player co-op. Not three-player co-op, but up to four player co-op. Online. On Xbox Live, or sure, System Link if you prefer.

That is correct – up to four player co-op in Campaign mode on Xbox Live or System Link.

We’ve been playing it for quite some time, and bluntly, having some of our greatest ever Halo experiences. We wanted to make sure all our “t”s were crossed and our “i”s dotted before unveiling this important new part of Halo 3’s Campaign mode.

Apart from the horrifying network challenges this new mode presented us, were the various gameplay balance issues it adds to the fray. So we got it all together, polished it, and that’s why we’re revealing it now. As a result, you’re going to want to play co-op as hard as you can stomach it. We’d certainly recommend Legendary, but we’ll be revealing some more ways to make the game more interesting and challenging for multiple players in the very near future.

Acting as a team is a fantastic new twist to the Campaign gameplay – something that works as well on foot, in close confines as it does on the battlefield, with large scale vehicle mayhem. Scared of Jackal snipers? Send out a scout to see what dangers lie ahead. Terrified of an open field? Flank your enemies and swipe their rides. The combinations and scenarios are endless – and you’ll be able to enjoy them time and time again in Saved Films of your co-op exploits.

We mentioned that we’ve been having a blast. We have a lot of stories. Many of them would require that we explain some of the reasons replay will be a big factor, but not quite yet. Soon, we promise.
Like every other aspect of Halo 3, this mode is chosen from a Lobby. Simply select Campaign, choose your network (Xbox Live or System Link) and invite your friends to join you, or they can simply join your session once it’s set up and in a lobby (but they cannot join a game once it’s in-progress). They will pop into your lobby instantly, and when you have all the players you need (anywhere from one to four) you can begin the game from the beginning – or from any of your saved checkpoints.

Split-screen co-op is as ever, limited to two players per screen – but they can if they wish join two other friends online or via System Link.

For fictional reasons, we decided to avoid Halo’s slightly surreal compromise of two identical Master Chiefs and rather, use this opportunity to expand the Halo universe just a little bit. Player one will control the Master Chief, player two will control the Arbiter and players three and four will get the chance to control two brand new Elite characters.

http://www.bungie.net/images/News/InlineImages2007/4pFTWBIG.jpg

Source: http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=thesoundofsack

Dr Dmoney
July 31st, 2007, 04:03 PM
Damn I was going to post it. Well I can't wait untill sept 25.

Hells ya Hells ya

mistercheif
July 31st, 2007, 04:14 PM
omg, that makes 2 other people who wanted posted it.

IPBJT!
July 31st, 2007, 04:41 PM
:iia: :awesome: is all i have to say about this.

Digikid
July 31st, 2007, 04:46 PM
O.M.F.G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so taking off Sept 25th off of work and hanking the phone cords.

Atty
July 31st, 2007, 05:01 PM
Somewhat off topic here, but...

http://www.enregistrersous.com/images/155501406320070731173732.jpg

Syuusuke
July 31st, 2007, 05:04 PM
Who's that purple odd looking one...?

Tweek
July 31st, 2007, 05:06 PM
im actually not very impressed by MC's armor.

Atty
July 31st, 2007, 05:06 PM
Each Elite is a permutation which will appear in MP. They aren't part of the story (or so we know) they are just there so that the Arbiter and MC don't have twins.

bum has knife
July 31st, 2007, 05:15 PM
I spent a day playing it co-op with 3 other teammates and I can assure you it's sexy times.

p.s. Yes, I did just tell you all that to make you jealous.

Terin
July 31st, 2007, 05:16 PM
:(

y u do this?

n00b1n8R
July 31st, 2007, 05:25 PM
why is the arbiter gold >_>

Rentafence
July 31st, 2007, 05:40 PM
why is the arbiter gold >_>

Because the sun is reflecting off his armor

ExAm
July 31st, 2007, 05:58 PM
...PARTY!!

FRain
July 31st, 2007, 06:04 PM
LOL XBL ORGY!

Win.

Dr Nick
July 31st, 2007, 06:07 PM
I hope we can play as grunts Jackals etc in H3, they're all very well balanced, soo I don't see why we can't.

TIA Gangsta
July 31st, 2007, 06:23 PM
Wow, MC's armour sure does look low res up close...

Anyway, 4 player co-op online FTW! Sure, it was in GRAW 2 and R6V, but the difference is that Halo 3 will actually have a good campaign - with AI that actually have 1/2 a brain.

n00b1n8R
July 31st, 2007, 07:00 PM
Because the sun is reflecting off his armor

I don't think so, the gold isn't reflected on anything else and it's gold even in the shadows >_>

Skiiran
July 31st, 2007, 08:16 PM
I don't think so, the gold isn't reflected on anything else and it's gold even in the shadows >_>
Rust? Maybe, since it's so old, the paint's been flaking off?

Archon23
July 31st, 2007, 08:26 PM
The Arbiter put his armor in the gold paint bucket by mistake.

Dole
July 31st, 2007, 09:23 PM
Yes.

t3h m00kz
July 31st, 2007, 09:25 PM
Those elites are so HAAAAAAAAWT

Pooky
July 31st, 2007, 09:28 PM
Those elites are so HAAAAAAAAWT

believe me, he does infact mean that in a sexual way

Xetsuei
July 31st, 2007, 10:10 PM
I spent a day playing it co-op with 3 other teammates and I can assure you it's sexy times.

p.s. Yes, I did just tell you all that to make you jealous.

:smith:

et_cg
July 31st, 2007, 10:18 PM
Anyone else notice the forerunner glyphs on the blue Elite's right gauntlet?

Forunners aren't the only ones who make those marks.

Elites who have earned different titles get burns/marks.

Check out the elite who usually carries the sword in Halo 1. They will have a mark on their chest, I do believe.

And remember the mark of the arbiter that was placed on the Arbiters chest? Er, I mean - burnt?

The "glyphs" look similar, but it's the convenant just honoring their "past bretheren."

As for up to four players for co-op, it will be nice. I wonder if one of those other elites is the Arbiter's son perhaps? The rounded helmet on the rear elite makes him look quite young, and his description isn't very... well, as detailed as the other.

ExAm
July 31st, 2007, 10:21 PM
And remember the mark of the arbiter that was placed on the Arbiters chest? Er, I mean - burnt?Mark of Shame. The same thing that's on the Infraction banners for this forum.

DaneO'Roo
July 31st, 2007, 10:23 PM
for fucks sake, someone needs to yell at bungie and tell them to fix the MC's bitmaps. They look incredibly fail.

The fucking brute has more detail than he has, and hes the main character.

What on earth was wrong with how he looked at E3 06? Now he looks like hes made of plastic.

Dole
July 31st, 2007, 11:22 PM
I wonder if one of those other elites is the Arbiter's son perhaps? The rounded helmet on the rear elite makes him look quite young, and his description isn't very... well, as detailed as the other.
I'd doubt it. It says he's quite young, but that just looks like a revised Ranger. Not to mention, they don't really tell you which biped is actually Player 3... and an Elite Ranger wouldn't really be specific to either Special Operations or Fleet Security.

PLAYER 3 (Sangheili)
Name: N’tho ‘Sraom
Affiliation: Fleet of Retribution/Special Warfare Group/Special Operations
History: N’tho ‘Sraom is the youngest member of his Special Operations unit and is one of a growing number of human sympathizers amongst the Sangheili youth. He is a fairly typical young male adult Sangheili—he began compulsory military service at the end of adolescence, and remains unmarried with no close, non-familial relationships outside of his martial order. N’tho Sraom refused to stand idly by while the Prophets replaced Sangheili units with Jiralhanae packs, and now bears deep resentment toward those Sangheili politicians who landed his kind in their current predicament.
Although N’tho ‘Sraom’s romanticized nationalism is emblematic of all Sangheili, he has developed a healthy respect for humanity—not for their physical abilities or martial prowess, but for their audacity and resolve.

PLAYER 4 (Sangheili)
Name: Usze ‘Taham
Affiliation: Fleet of Retribution/Special Warfare Group/Fleet Security
History: Although Usze ‘Taham was born into a respected merchant family he was fathered by Toha ‘Sumai—one of the preeminent swordfighters of this age. Usze graduated with honors from the top War College in the Iruiru region of Yermo, Sanghelios (a distinction he shares with Rtas 'Vadum). Shortly after receiving his first post within the Covenant Navy he was offered a place on the Prophets’ Honor Guard but he declined citing “lack of practical experience”. In truth, he had no desire to be part of a largely ceremonial unit, and at the end of his third combat tour, Usze ‘Taham again refused the post—even though his superiors warned him such behavior could be misinterpreted as apostasy.
Since that time Usze has evaded countless punitive actions, at least two assassination attempts, and served with distinction for two additional tours before the Schism. Following the dissolution of the Covenant, he was approached by the Ascetics to become one of their liaisons within the Navy.

Warsaw
August 1st, 2007, 12:56 AM
for fucks sake, someone needs to yell at bungie and tell them to fix the MC's bitmaps. They look incredibly fail.

What on earth was wrong with how he looked at E3 06? Now he looks like hes made of plastic.

Thank you sir! Like I said previously, he appears as if he was rendered on the DOOM 3 engine.

Also, I call the Master Chief. True blue UNSC right here.

Con
August 1st, 2007, 01:14 AM
Mark of Shame. The same thing that's on the Infraction banners for this forum.
;) I did my research

Skiiran
August 1st, 2007, 01:16 AM
I stand by my theory that that is an old MC, and that when we actually get to play it, it will be awesome, because the Beta bipeds looked LOADS better than that.

DaneO'Roo
August 1st, 2007, 01:17 AM
I dunno, that blue Elite looks pretty fucking badass, so Id go him.

Chief just looks too much like what he did in halo 2 for me to care as much. Make him like the E3 06 chief, and I'll be Chiefing it up ftw!

n00b1n8R
August 1st, 2007, 01:55 AM
blue leet cos i like being leet. also because he's sexy.
(IN A NON SEXUAL WAY POOKY >:U)

Bastinka
August 1st, 2007, 01:56 AM
The arbiters legs are a bit different then the elites :|

HolyAlliance
August 1st, 2007, 02:21 AM
Halo 3's character rigs need to be updated (that or redone -- example the new spartans), they don't deform correctly and there are still many clipping issues.

rossmum
August 1st, 2007, 02:44 AM
Loving the new Elites. :awesome:

Reaper Man
August 1st, 2007, 03:40 AM

:gonk:
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3/Screenshots/H3_E307_Chief02.jpg

Dr Nick
August 1st, 2007, 04:36 AM
:gonk:
http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3/Screenshots/H3_E307_Chief02.jpgFINALLY SOMEONE AGREES!
They look like action figures.

Kornman00
August 1st, 2007, 05:17 AM
Weren't those just RENDERS?

Tweek
August 1st, 2007, 05:29 AM
yes, but the resolution on the renders is even shit, wich isn't somethign you'd expect on a RENDER.

Metkil5685
August 1st, 2007, 05:33 AM
I like how everyone is complaining how the hour looks too much like Halo 2. Yes, it could be Higher-Res. But, the armor is supposed to look like Halo 2. I don't think MC will find another suit of armor on the forerunner ship. Don't any of you remember were the story left off?

HolyAlliance
August 1st, 2007, 05:43 AM
I like how everyone is complaining how the hour looks too much like Halo 2. Yes, it could be Higher-Res. But, the armor is supposed to look like Halo 2. I don't think MC will find another suit of armor on the forerunner ship. Don't any of you remember were the story left off?

Or does he? You'll have to wait and see.

Digikid
August 1st, 2007, 05:57 AM
he has been through battle FFS! What do you expect? Shiny new Armor?

TIA Gangsta
August 1st, 2007, 07:44 AM
It's mostly the bloody suck-ups on Bungie Forums that agree with anything that Bungie say and any screenshot that is released, no matter how obviously SHIT, they say "OMG it looks aweosme!! Better than E3 06! BUNGIE ROCKS!".

If they actually allow their opinions to be judged by themselves rather than Bungie, we might have got the idea to Bungie by now that they need to change the damn texture. It's waay too low-resolution for a next-gen game, and the armour lighting makes it look so plastic.

Ryan
August 1st, 2007, 10:00 AM
I don't think Bungie really listens to what their forum community says. It would be developmental suicide to do so, in my opinion.

Halo2Vista
August 1st, 2007, 10:27 AM
least halo 3 with be 100% polished out with maybe a little bug here and there but bungie has had more time with this than halo 2 (which they admit they fucked up on, like MS) and i expect to play the campaign over and over and not get bored of it, like how halo 1 is fun gameplay throughout. halo 3 is gonna be great but i just hope they really bring this game to pc ( even though the graphics would be directX10 and you would need a Nvidia 8500 GTS to 8800 GTX ULTRA (ULTRA is about $670 if you know where to search), or if you're cheap get ATI HD 2000 series for about $180 to $300.

thehoodedsmack
August 1st, 2007, 10:33 AM
I like it. I prefer the "plastic" look.

Halo2Vista
August 1st, 2007, 10:34 AM

yeah but it ends with him saying "Finishing this fight" and in the e3 o6 vid he is on earth and has to go after the prophet of truth to get the icon before that bastard activates all the halo rings. in the e3 o7 vid there is the humans and elites on one side (you knew that already) and all the rest of the covenant on another and they have to fight over this mysterious artifact....
and know one really knows the rest, but bungie has already got a playable campaign mode.

Skyline
August 1st, 2007, 11:02 AM
This is nice and all but it still uses lightmaps D: and not real time lighting like most next generation games like crysis (where the sun goes from morning to dawn and it lights everything on the spot.).

TIA Gangsta
August 1st, 2007, 11:28 AM
The third level of campaign ends where the E3 06 trailer was set, and with the ark too.

Atty
August 1st, 2007, 12:45 PM
http://localhostr.com/files/2c9d63cc5626756c29ed.jpg
http://localhostr.com/files/d32315cbffdedeff974f.jpg

:)

TIA Gangsta
August 1st, 2007, 01:47 PM
Graphics = teh pwnage

Warsaw
August 1st, 2007, 02:03 PM
Like I've said on previous occasions: the graphics in the game as a whole are pretty high end. It's just the Master Chief and some of the weapons that don't look so hot.

Atty
August 1st, 2007, 02:25 PM
Well you won't be staring at the MC too much in Campaign so what does it matter? I don't consider anything in the game as looking sub-par right now and even if I did I wouldn't make a judgment on it until I've got the game playing on my 360, that way I can say it's final.

leorimolo
August 1st, 2007, 02:25 PM
Where did you get those pics from atty?

ExAm
August 1st, 2007, 03:15 PM
I still like the new look. Think of it as ceramic material, which it is, not metal. Regardless, I don't think it looks like plastic at all.

TIA Gangsta
August 1st, 2007, 04:30 PM
Like I've said on previous occasions: the graphics in the game as a whole are pretty high end. It's just the Master Chief and some of the weapons that don't look so hot.

Agreed. The only issue seems to be the TEXTURE on Master Chief (the actual biped is the same as the E3 06 trailer).
But what's wrong with the weapons? Look at the Covenant weapons - they look bloody amazing and have awesome lighting.
If the Human weapons don't look too amazing, then that's probably how they're supposed to be, since Bungie have proven that they can make the weapons look amazing. The Assault Rifle's texture is awesome, but I can't say the same about the Battle Rifle's.

et_cg
August 1st, 2007, 05:12 PM
How about this:

You all should stop whining, and... just wait for it to release.

The game is NOT final. Nor have they really released much of what makes Halo 3, Halo 3. They keep hinting towards new stuff in podcasts and updates.

Oh, and why worry about texture? Isn't it the story we've been wanting to finish?

Dr Nick
August 1st, 2007, 05:31 PM
The story is an important part for us all, but multiplayer is also important.

Digikid
August 1st, 2007, 05:37 PM
How about this:

You all should stop whining, and... just wait for it to release.

The game is NOT final. Nor have they really released much of what makes Halo 3, Halo 3. They keep hinting towards new stuff in podcasts and updates.

Oh, and why worry about texture? Isn't it the story we've been wanting to finish?

ah let us drool in peace would ya?:p

Warsaw
August 1st, 2007, 06:20 PM
Nope, it's not the story I've been waiting for. It's a game to make up for Halo 2 that I have been waiting for :p.

Dole
August 1st, 2007, 06:50 PM
If they showed us a nigh-perfect texture over fourteen months ago, why would they feel the impulse to change it in the updates counting down to its release in the next few weeks? If you think they're all of the sudden going to return it to the glorious texture that we saw in the first E3 unveiling ('06), just remember the difference between the game we saw during the Spring of 2003 and the game we played in Fall 2004.

Also, it doesn't do much good to be wait until the release to start being judgemental... it's already set in stone, so there'd be no sense complaining about it at that point. As I said above, look what happened with Halo 2.

et_cg
August 1st, 2007, 06:56 PM
The story is an important part for us all, but multiplayer is also important.

Okay, but why worry about textures when all you'll be doing is killing/maintaining objectives? Yes, there's a beauty to Halo 3, but hey... if they made him that way - that's their jurisdiction.

If they showed us a nigh-perfect texture over fourteen months ago, why would they feel the impulse to change it in the updates counting down to its release in the next few weeks? If you think they're all of the sudden going to return it to the glorious texture that we saw in the first E3 unveiling ('06), just remember the difference between the game we saw during the Spring of 2003 and the game we played in Fall 2004.

Also, it doesn't do much good to be wait until the release to start being judgemental... it's already set in stone, so there'd be no sense complaining about it at that point. As I said above, look what happened with Halo 2.

Oh well. The main idea of what I said relates to Halo 2, also.

People began to judge the game and put up these opinions about how awesome it was. Then when it came out, and people played it. They thought it was horrible and did not meet up to their expectations.

I myself didn't mind at all what they did with Halo 2. I actually enjoyed the new artistic style they took on with Halo 2. And on top of that, I enjoyed the story. It was well written enough to get you wanting Halo 3, even if they "screwed up" in everyone's mind, right?

I'm sorry if I've got this all wrong.

IPBJT!
August 1st, 2007, 07:23 PM
Nope, it's not the story I've been waiting for. It's a game to make up for Halo 2 that I have been waiting for :p.
Then you'll be disapointed because Halo 3 won't be that.

Warsaw
August 1st, 2007, 07:41 PM
Oh, don't worry, I don't have any hope of it surpassing the original Halo.

ExAm
August 1st, 2007, 07:41 PM

Also, it doesn't do much good to be wait until the release to start being judgemental... it's already set in stone, so there'd be no sense complaining about it at that point. As I said above, look what happened with Halo 2.I'm sorry, but the E3 '06 texture was just wrong for the material the armor is supposed to be. The current texture is the most accurate so far, but needs a few more details in the skin, and a slightly different reflection characteristic, to fix the very slight plastic look. It could also do with a small resolution increase.

Warsaw
August 1st, 2007, 07:43 PM
No, it wasn't. The outer shell of the armor is a metal alloy, not a ceramic. Aside from that, a ceramic is not plastic looking.

Stormwing
August 1st, 2007, 07:59 PM
metal alloys can withstand atmospheric reentry?

meh, i still think it looks fine.

Atty
August 1st, 2007, 08:11 PM
metal alloys can withstand atmospheric reentry?

meh, i still think it looks fine.They can when you are talking hundreds of years in the future...

Also, having it be science fiction has something to do with it...

Bastinka
August 1st, 2007, 08:20 PM
http://localhostr.com/files/2c9d63cc5626756c29ed.jpg
http://localhostr.com/files/d32315cbffdedeff974f.jpg

:)

A bit close to your TV? :|

ExAm
August 1st, 2007, 08:20 PM
No, it wasn't. The outer shell of the armor is a metal alloy, not a ceramic. Aside from that, a ceramic is not plastic looking.Even so, the metal would not be as roughly textured as it is in the '06 trailer.

Dr Nick
August 1st, 2007, 08:36 PM
Okay, but why worry about textures when all you'll be doing is killing/maintaining objectives? Yes, there's a beauty to Halo 3, but hey... if they made him that way - that's their jurisdiction.As you said, there's an art to halo 3(as well as the other two games) but, say you're shown a shiny dollar, and told you'll get it eventually. Then, when the time comes you only get 50 cents. What would you be thinking?

The Halo community feels like they've been ripped off, and aren't settling very well with it.

We were shown some awesome textures earlier, and we loved it. Now we're not getting it.

Psychology is fun!

et_cg
August 1st, 2007, 09:12 PM
As you said, there's an art to halo 3(as well as the other two games) but, say you're shown a shiny dollar, and told you'll get it eventually. Then, when the time comes you only get 50 cents. What would you be thinking?

Realistically, for me. I don't expect more, and I don't expect exact. Humans are backstabbing lying organic beings that seem to cheat, steal, and lie just to get what they want.

Unlike Mastercheif, he was Born into/Made what he is. A one manned army that's nothing but win. (But his reason for creation? Well... that's just the UNSC's way of making sure they're win ©.)

Warsaw
August 1st, 2007, 09:20 PM
Even so, the metal would not be as roughly textured as it is in the '06 trailer.

Look at the military Humvee, thank you. Yes, it's painted. The Mk. VI was painted too (with what exactly, I don't know), otherwise scrapes would not reveal greyish-silver metal beneath.

Dole
August 1st, 2007, 09:40 PM
Even so, the metal would not be as roughly textured as it is in the '06 trailer.
It would if it was scorched and pockmarked from plasma fire: and real-time damage decals and tempering on bipeds' textures were one of the first and biggest features Bungie addressed after releasing the '06 trailer. That, self-shadowing, HDR lighting effects, realistic reflection rendering, high detail models and textures, ingame draw distances, and advanced particle systems were among the topics of the first Halo 3 production documentary.

No, it wasn't. The outer shell of the armor is a metal alloy, not a ceramic. Aside from that, a ceramic is not plastic looking.
Isn't it said in the maual that it's an alloy integrally laced with ceramics? Even so, that texture depicted the material perfectly.

Apoc4lypse
August 1st, 2007, 09:51 PM

calm down... jeez

Tbh I dont think much is wrong, I like it... Halo 2 kind of was odd, and too shiny/plasticy looking, but everyone still loved it... I think they were trying to get away from the plastic look people commented about, and I think it looks better tbh, sometimes less is more, the mc never had alot of intricite(sp?) designs and stuff on his armor, it was mostly semi boxy shaped armor, with a basic texture, and I think it looks better. The only thing I will say I'm not seeing is the wartorn damage they first were talking about, it seems to be missing...

The Halo community feels like they've been ripped off, and aren't settling very well with it.

"Halo community" more like you and a handfull of people... idk I like it the way it is.

Warsaw
August 1st, 2007, 09:58 PM
It would if it was scorched and pockmarked from plasma fire: and real-time damage decals and tempering on bipeds' textures were one of the first and biggest features Bungie addressed after releasing the '06 trailer. That, self-shadowing, HDR lighting effects, realistic reflection rendering, high detail models and textures, ingame draw distances, and advanced particle systems were among the topics of the first Halo 3 production documentary.

Isn't it said in the maual that it's an alloy integrally laced with ceramics? Even so, that texture depicted the material perfectly.

Nope. Ceramics are underneath. The plastic texture does not fit either a plastic or a ceramic very well. Metal would have a brushed steel or cast look to it, and ceramics would look slightly gritty, unless the surface has been polished and covered with a semi-gloss paint, in which case it would look a lot like plastic (and not too pleasing to the eye).

Dr Nick
August 1st, 2007, 10:43 PM
Yeah, I try not to expect much from anything.

"set low goals, then you'll never be disappointed."

Sounds like a decent idea to me!

Skiiran
August 1st, 2007, 11:48 PM
Nope. Ceramics are underneath. The plastic texture does not fit either a plastic or a ceramic very well. Metal would have a brushed steel or cast look to it, and ceramics would look slightly gritty, unless the surface has been polished and covered with a semi-gloss paint, in which case it would look a lot like plastic (and not too pleasing to the eye).
Could've been a hasty jungle-warfare paintup, since it's been shown at least a few levels take place in the Jungle. Anyways, one of the earlier photos looked like the '06 trailer and that was in-doors.

I'm just saying.

Warsaw
August 2nd, 2007, 12:17 AM
Then it most certainly wouldn't look like SMOOTH PLASTIC. I also seriously doubt that the Master Chief has removed his armor at any point between Halo 2 and 3, let alone painted it.

Dr Nick
August 2nd, 2007, 12:24 AM
Then it most certainly wouldn't look like SMOOTH PLASTIC. I also seriously doubt that the Master Chief has removed his armor at any point between Halo 2 and 3, let alone painted it.Are you retarded?

Go play the first level, where you get used to the controls.
It clearly says he has different armour.

Warsaw
August 2nd, 2007, 12:33 AM
I said BETWEEN HALO 2 (TWO) AND HALO 3 (THREE). That means from the end of the second (2nd) game into the third (3rd) game. Please utilize that brain I know you have inside your cranium.

I have played the first two games extensively. Don't make the assumption that I ignored the cut-scenes and dialogue.

Archon23
August 2nd, 2007, 12:42 AM
I kinda wished Bungie upgraded Chiefs armor just for the sake of having it as Mark 7.

Dr Nick
August 2nd, 2007, 12:49 AM
lol whoops.

Skiiran
August 2nd, 2007, 01:00 AM
I kinda wished Bungie upgraded Chiefs armor just for the sake of having it as Mark 7.
It seems like something they'd do.

Mass
August 2nd, 2007, 01:27 AM
Maybe its blander so that real time damage would show up more, I sure hope so. But as that is probably not the case he definately could use a slightly grainier bump/detail map.

oh and dano,

I'll be Chiefing it up ftw!

Usually when I say something like that I am referring to my intention to put myself under the influence of
:awesome::hump::awesome::D:awesome:...

ExAm
August 2nd, 2007, 03:45 AM
Nope. Ceramics are underneath. The plastic texture does not fit either a plastic or a ceramic very well. Metal would have a brushed steel or cast look to it, and ceramics would look slightly gritty, unless the surface has been polished and covered with a semi-gloss paint, in which case it would look a lot like plastic (and not too pleasing to the eye).Off topic a bit, have you ever seen a ceramic knife? Not grainy in the least, even when unpainted. Very smooth, reminiscent of plastic. Depending on color, it can also let light through. I played around with one of the ceramic knives my Grandma has. Sharp as hell. (no wrist cutting :P)

Also, can you link me to a quote where it says that the ceramic layer is underneath? I don't remember that.

TIA Gangsta
August 2nd, 2007, 05:51 AM
Hang on...I just noticed - THAT'S MY TV!

Samsung M86! Although that looks like the 37" model, while I have the 46" one.
Looks like even Bungie agree that it's the best TV for gaming - produces the best HD image out of all TVs on the market today. Check out the reviews.

Dole
August 2nd, 2007, 08:57 AM
Maybe its blander so that real time damage would show up more, I sure hope so. But as that is probably not the case he definately could use a slightly grainier bump/detail map.
Well the one for E3'06 was already heavily damaged, so maybe that's where all the detail is from.

Kornman00
August 2nd, 2007, 11:02 AM
He'll probably get Mark 7 gear at the end when he goes insane and kills everyone in ONI because hes underpaid...and under laid *hint hint cortana*

Seriously, I find it kinda hard for him to get new armour yet again when its only been like what, a week after the ring went into hibernation for the Ark's command...

Unless they refer to the SP3's amour as Mark 7s? I forget

EDIT: Speaking of, too bad we couldn't play as a SP3 in co-op :/

ExAm
August 2nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
He'll probably get Mark 7 gear at the end when he goes insane and kills everyone in ONI because hes underpaid...and under laid *hint hint cortana*

Seriously, I find it kinda hard for him to get new armour yet again when its only been like what, a week after the ring went into hibernation for the Ark's command...

Unless they refer to the SP3's amour as Mark 7s? I forget

EDIT: Speaking of, too bad we couldn't play as a SP3 in co-op :/I seem to remember something about a repressed sexual drive :downs:

Kornman00
August 2nd, 2007, 06:51 PM
Sorry, my subconsciousness refused to remember that detail ;p

IPBJT!
August 2nd, 2007, 09:10 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Halo-3-s-4-Player-Coop-Is-A-Hyped-Cop-Out-5597.html
:fail: some people really need to stfu. This guy is one of them.

Pooky
August 2nd, 2007, 09:16 PM
I don't see why, he makes several good points. Don't be a Bungie/Microsoft fanboy

Skiiran
August 2nd, 2007, 10:49 PM
Off topic a bit, have you ever seen a ceramic knife? Not grainy in the least, even when unpainted. Very smooth, reminiscent of plastic. Depending on color, it can also let light through. I played around with one of the ceramic knives my Grandma has. Sharp as hell. (no wrist cutting :P)

Also, can you link me to a quote where it says that the ceramic layer is underneath? I don't remember that.
It could always be another continuity issue; the ceramics could be interlaced with the metal after all, and they just decided not to tell the writers.

ExAm
August 3rd, 2007, 02:27 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Halo-3-s-4-Player-Coop-Is-A-Hyped-Cop-Out-5597.html
:fail: some people really need to stfu. This guy is one of them.I have to agree with Metroid. He does raise some excellent points. However, where does Bungie say that there won't be 4-player offline co-op?

Skiiran
August 3rd, 2007, 03:53 AM
I have to agree with Metroid. He does raise some excellent points. However, where does Bungie say that there won't be 4-player offline co-op?
They never do, since it would be contradictory to their statement that you can have system-linked 4-player co-op.

ExAm
August 3rd, 2007, 04:14 AM
They never do, since it would be contradictory to their statement that you can have system-linked 4-player co-op.Exactly my point.

Rob Oplawar
August 3rd, 2007, 11:00 AM
I'm a little wary of these new characters. At least it seems that someone will always be playing the Master Chief, instead of going off on an unrelated tangent with the Arbiter. In Halo 2, it was a little awkward to play as two completely different characters, them being mortal enemies to boot. Even though in Halo 3 the first player is always MC, it just doesn't feel right at the moment for him to be accompanied by three elites. We have yet to see how the storyline handles/explains this, and maybe it will feel natural one we actually start playing, and don't get me wrong, I think Elites are %!&*ing awesome, but at the moment, it seems like it would make much more sense and hold together much better if your companions were the surviving Spartans, returned to Earth to make the last stand. I mean, duh.

My point is, with the storyline this established, picking up after a cliffhanger, I'm dubious of the decision to introduce two new main characters, who happen to be the aliens you've been fighting in the previous two games, and have you immediately play as them. =/

But I still hold on to my optimism that it will rock.

TeeKup
August 3rd, 2007, 07:27 PM
Love the information on those 2 elites. However I'm pissed.......yet again.....about the master chief's armor.

Dr Nick
August 3rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
I seem to remember something about a repressed sexual drive :downs:"Bet'cha can't stick it!"

Skiiran
August 3rd, 2007, 10:19 PM
I'm a little wary of these new characters. At least it seems that someone will always be playing the Master Chief, instead of going off on an unrelated tangent with the Arbiter. In Halo 2, it was a little awkward to play as two completely different characters, them being mortal enemies to boot. Even though in Halo 3 the first player is always MC, it just doesn't feel right at the moment for him to be accompanied by three elites. We have yet to see how the storyline handles/explains this, and maybe it will feel natural one we actually start playing, and don't get me wrong, I think Elites are %!&*ing awesome, but at the moment, it seems like it would make much more sense and hold together much better if your companions were the surviving Spartans, returned to Earth to make the last stand. I mean, duh.

My point is, with the storyline this established, picking up after a cliffhanger, I'm dubious of the decision to introduce two new main characters, who happen to be the aliens you've been fighting in the previous two games, and have you immediately play as them. =/

But I still hold on to my optimism that it will rock.
So you'd rather have one of them play as a non-shielded, stubby Marine? It's really more an issue of balancing than anything else.

Pooky
August 4th, 2007, 03:09 AM
It's a pretty absurd leap of logic to just have some clone of the master chief following him around, but they did that. I'm not too worried about it. Though personally, I would have preferred if they slapped an energy shield on johnson and made him a playable character, instead of some ugly purple elite.

Terry
August 4th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I still don't see why the armour can't have a little more scratches and plasma scorches, I didn't know ceramic couldn't have those. Right now, it seems to be completely rid of the detail I was expecting to see. And, personally, I could care less what the book says his armour looks like, it still doesn't look as good as it did in the E3 trailer.

ExAm
August 4th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I still don't see why the armour can't have a little more scratches and plasma scorches, I didn't know ceramic couldn't have those. Right now, it seems to be completely rid of the detail I was expecting to see. And, personally, I could care less what the book says his armour looks like, it still doesn't look as good as it did in the E3 trailer.Then you have no concept of continuity and accuracy. Thank you for that incredibly insightful comment.

Skiiran
August 4th, 2007, 02:32 PM
I still don't see why the armour can't have a little more scratches and plasma scorches, I didn't know ceramic couldn't have those. Right now, it seems to be completely rid of the detail I was expecting to see. And, personally, I could care less what the book says his armour looks like, it still doesn't look as good as it did in the E3 trailer.
They have that whole real-time damage thing, don't they? Therefore, of course it's going to look pock-marked and scarred after shitloads of combat.

Warsaw
August 4th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Off topic a bit, have you ever seen a ceramic knife? Not grainy in the least, even when unpainted. Very smooth, reminiscent of plastic. Depending on color, it can also let light through. I played around with one of the ceramic knives my Grandma has. Sharp as hell. (no wrist cutting :P)

The book (Fall of Reach, page 114) never said there was a ceramic layer period. All it said was that on top was a "multi-layer alloy," so really, there is no point in arguing this.

Though a grainy surface in this case is desirable to a smooth one in order to scatter light and reduce reflection back towards the spotter.

TIA Gangsta
August 4th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Well if you look at all the statues and CGI work including the Masterchief, you can see there how Bungie intend MC to look like.
Clearly, there is no kind of "concrete" material visible on his armour, so the E3 06 Trailer isn't what MC should look like, hence why it was changed.

But, it most definately doesn't look like plastic. It's still meant to look shiny, and kinda like metal (check out the CGI trailer and a few statues - there's a suit in Bungie's latest weekly update too.)

Warsaw
August 4th, 2007, 07:29 PM
http://www.pmfind.com/images5/flowformedparts.jpg

Please compare the MJOLNIR Mk.VI from Halo 3 to this picture of metal kitchen appliances, and tell me which one looks more metallic. While you are at it, compare it to the brushed steel table in the following image as well.

http://www.lehmannmaupin.com/files/8f12033d.jpg

TeeKup
August 4th, 2007, 07:46 PM
It's a video game. I don't care. All I want is adequate graphics (minimum being Halo 1) and an awesome plot.

Warsaw
August 4th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Then don't enter the debate.

To me, having the main character look mediocre compared to the rest of the game is a major flaw, and is therefore detrimental to my gaming experience. Thus, I am concerned over it.

Agamemnon
August 4th, 2007, 10:09 PM
It's a video game. I don't care. All I want is adequate graphics (minimum being Halo 1) and an awesome plot.
Read graphic novels then.

t3h m00kz
August 5th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Then don't enter the debate.

To me, having the main character look mediocre compared to the rest of the game is a major flaw, and is therefore detrimental to my gaming experience. Thus, I am concerned over it.

Well, it's the same armor as in Halo 2, you can't really put your expectations TOO high. At least you're getting higher rez textures, and a more high-poly model.

Admittedly, they did change around the brutes and the grunts and elites from how they used to be, so I honestly don't see why they didn't give him like a Mark VII or some shit, but in all honesty it IS in fact the same armor as in Halo 2.

On top of that, at least you'll be able to customize your profile for multiplayer and do whatever you want ;)

Warsaw
August 5th, 2007, 01:38 AM
It is the same armor, yes, but they could've done a better job on the skin. As for the Covenant, they didn't really receive new armor, just a visual overhaul.

ExAm
August 5th, 2007, 01:54 AM
I love the armor textures in Halo 3, with the exception of the Chief's armor (which needs a bit more detail, and a change to the light reflection characteristics, but without the excessive bump seen in the '06 trailer). I feel as if I could take a hammer, hit the stuff, and it would make a nice, metallic "clunk" sound, reminiscent of a thick plate of armor.

Warsaw
August 5th, 2007, 01:58 AM
Did you see my post with the kitchen appliances on page 11? The Chief's armor looks nothing like the metallic sheen seen on those devices and the tabletop.

ExAm
August 5th, 2007, 04:44 AM
That's brushed stainless steel. Nothing compared to the kind of stuff that armor is made of, especially if painted. However, it does need to reflect a more metallic sheen, just not like stainless steel.

TIA Gangsta
August 5th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Our expectations CAN be very high if we saw that E3 06 trailer...
Concrete or no concrete, regardless you can see the texture is very high res, whilst the new texture is a lot lower res.
Look at some screenshots moderately close-up to the MC, and look at parts of his armour. You can see it blur and notice that the lighting makes the armour look very plastic.
Compare it to work that shows what MC should look like in Bungie's eyes, and you'll see the current texture isn't right.

Stormwing
August 5th, 2007, 10:35 AM
this is armor.
http://www.fototime.com/13F751752BFB346/standard.jpg
this is not.
http://www.thenaturalhome.com/equator375S-dual.jpg

I agree, the texture seems rather low-res in comparison to everything else, and could shine a little bit more. But Warsaw...excuse the language, but that was a pretty stupid and ignorant comparison.

Random
August 5th, 2007, 12:56 PM
You don't have permission to access "/gp/military/cv/tank/M1/M1A1_06.jpg" on this server.
You can use your BACK button or go to one of Gary's pages shown below:

:shake:

ICEE
August 5th, 2007, 03:56 PM
i think the chiefs armor looks alright... its just a picture anyways, its not like its the game. everything looks cool aside from the arbiters BLING-BLING

ExAm
August 6th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Bling-bling? The Arbiter's armor looks fine. I don't mind a subtle color change.

Elite Killa
August 6th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Compared to how the Arbiter looked in Halo 2, he needs that bling-bling.

Warsaw
August 6th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I wasn't saying that the armor had to look like brushed steel. I was making a point that the Chief's armor doesn't look in the least bit metallic. For a phosphorescent green alloy, it looks a little too forest colored and plastic-like.

Steva
August 6th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Isn`t the yellow colour of the elites or omething? maybe that`s why arbiter`s armor is yellow-gold, but how can then Bruets be yellow too...?:D

ExAm
August 6th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Isn`t the yellow colour of the elites or omething? maybe that`s why arbiter`s armor is yellow-gold, but how can then Bruets be yellow too...?:DEnglish, please.

Warsaw
August 6th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Bruets? As in, Bruette? Romeo and Bruette. Some how, I don't think that would work out too well.

Dole
August 6th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I wasn't saying that the armor had to look like brushed steel. I was making a point that the Chief's armor doesn't look in the least bit metallic. For a phosphorescent green alloy, it looks a little too forest colored and plastic-like.
Green alloy? I thought the color came from the plasma-dispersing coating?

Archon23
August 6th, 2007, 09:51 PM
And here I thought he just painted his armor. Though Id love to see a desert camo chief......

Warsaw
August 6th, 2007, 09:57 PM
It is a green alloy with plasma dispersing coating.